• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Jacob4815

Good man, yes, you have until March 20th to join Rise of the Warrior and reap the benefits of FREE DLC....FREE DLC PEOPLE!

-Tank

There will be SP DLC in the near future?

I think it would be amazing to play short high-budget levels or epic boss battles (like the intro) as stand-alone adventures.. something like the story of Rise of The Warrior!

Sorral

So which god are you guys going to align with? Not accounting for the 5th god which is not revealed yet, I am thinking of either Ares like in the beta or Hades. I didn't like relaying on too much magic like how some Zeus players were.

I'd pick Ares again due to the sheer amount of attack power that I had and actually going through my opponents fast(I was still using a sword though) to complete the objectives. Hades's style looks very deceiving and will may throw off a lot of players in 1v1 encounters. I like how different it is from the rest.

Would love to have an all Gaf tournaments in GoW:A of different matches and styles honestly. Anyone else feels the same?

So like, is this the one God of War game that, because it's rated a bit lower, is more revered by the gaming community? Is it superior in any way to the first III aside from graphically?

Boss Man

I can't wait to see how the MP scene on this game pans out. I was really digging the beta.

Hopefully it has enough depth to be competitive and have a community built around it. Felt slightly short of that to me (although still very fun). Curious to see how it ends up.

Sorral

So like, is this the one God of War game that, because it's rated a bit lower, is more revered by the gaming community? Is it superior in any way to the first III aside from graphically?

An all new multiplayer (for the series) that's actually good and in a genre that doesn't see much like this.
Then, you have them actually touching on Kratos deeper and being more human than seen in the rest of the GoW series(since this is a prequel too..) See Destructoid's review for example.

ToddPapy

Sony Santa Monica
I can't wait to see how the MP scene on this game pans out. I was really digging the beta.

Hopefully it has enough depth to be competitive and have a community built around it. Felt slightly short of that to me (although still very fun). Curious to see how it ends up.

We held a lot back during the beta. I hope the GoW fans dig it (I know that it will not appeal to everyone, but I can't wait to get back into the office and play more)

ToddPapy

Sony Santa Monica
So which god are you guys going to align with? Not accounting for the 5th god which is not revealed yet, I am thinking of either Ares like in the beta or Hades. I didn't like relaying on too much magic like how some Zeus players were.

I'd pick Ares again due to the sheer amount of attack power that I had and actually going through my opponents fast(I was still using a sword though) to complete the objectives. Hades's style looks very deceiving and will may throw off a lot of players in 1v1 encounters. I like how different it is from the rest.

Would love to have an all Gaf tournaments in GoW:A of different matches and styles honestly. Anyone else feels the same?

I like Ares because I want to be a glass cannon. BOOM

dEvAnGeL

the game looks ok, will pick it up when it hits $20, considering the ps4 is coming this year, prices on ps3 games will decrease faster than normal you would think, giving the fact the ps4 is not backwards compatible, i was hyped but when so many reviews had so many negatives things to say is hard to put 60 on it, i was burned with colonial marines so im just making sure it wont happen again

Amir0x

Banned
Sony Santa Monica crew is active tonight.

For the choosing Gods things, the benefits are multiplayer right? What does picking a particular God do, grant unique abilities for multiplayer?

I try to be on black outs for these games so excuse me if the answer is well known by now

Boss Man

Sony Santa Monica crew is active tonight.

For the choosing Gods things, the benefits are multiplayer right? What does picking a particular God do, grant unique abilities for multiplayer?

I try to be on black outs for these games so excuse me if the answer is well known by now
It seemed kind of like a class mechanic in the beta, was pretty cool. It's just for MP AFAIK, could be wrong though. The beta also didn't really require you to *pick* one in the sense that it seems to imply, they were basically separate classes to work on with different abilities/items/focuses.

Amir0x

Banned
It seemed kind of like a class mechanic in the beta, was pretty cool. It's just for MP AFAIK, could be wrong though. The beta also didn't really require you to *pick* one in the sense that it seems to imply, they were basically separate classes to work on with different abilities/items/focuses.

oh ok. That makes sense. I thought it was like some world allegiance where you pick it then you're essentially on the same 'team' as anyone else who chose that God in the world, and maybe there'd be a World God Ranking or something :p

Absolutely choosing Poseidon.

Strong Magic Resist/Defense and longevity? Means you will grind people down and outlast them.

Reminds me of Jedi/Druids from MMOs long gone. ;)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
oh ok. That makes sense. I thought it was like some world allegiance where you pick it then you're essentially on the same 'team' as anyone else who chose that God in the world, and maybe there'd be a World God Ranking or something :p

Nah, it's all for MP afaik. It's also not like you choose and commit, you can switch around and level each one up.

Sorral

I like Ares because I want to be a glass cannon. BOOM

lol! great minds think alike!

Does progress from the beta carry over to the final game?

No, it doesn't/shouldn't. It would put a lot of people at a huge advantage with unlocks.

Absolutely choosing Poseidon.

Strong Magic Resist/Defense and longevity? Means you will grind people down and outlast them.

Reminds me of Jedi/Druids from MMOs long gone. ;)

I await going through your defense with my demigod state! :p
I actually do see having a Poseidon character working out really well for doing objectives because of the healing capabilities that your teammates receive. I will have to see more to know if the defense/longevity actually worth my while. I will give you the magic resist being a really good thing...those lightning magic aoe spammers man.

nib95

Banned
Holy crap, didn't expect you to actually post in here Todd. Always love it when big devs pay a visit here. Out of curiosity, how have you and your team taken to the reviews? And what did you find more difficult to work on, the single player aspect, or the multiplayer?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
If you want to steamroll through Co-Op as Champion Brothers

I await!

PSN: GraveRobberX

Let's Get this Holy Sextuplity Platinum!

kDvS0.jpg

3 days Away!

So fucking Close

Cpu4vWi.gif

GraveRobberX

Nope but you do get a beta gift.

Can you convince Sony to do you a favor

Create a Whole MP Trophy List Separate and Add a Platinum to it ~.^

DLC Speaking Wise

I'll be eternally grateful

SP => 1 PLatinum
MP => 1 Platinum (through DLC's) ^_^

I await going through your defense with my demigod state! :p
I actually do see having a Poseidon character working out really well for doing objectives because of the healing capabilities that your teammates receive. I will have to see more to know if the defense/longevity actually worth my while. I will give you the magic resist being a really good thing...those lightning magic aoe spammers man.

You will try :)

Yes, I do like this class and definitely think it fits the bill for objectives and defending points long enough to make it count.

beast786

congrats Todd , and SSM.

Still taking care of my favorite franchise.

Also want to thank tank as a great community manager.

can't wait.

TDSpartan

Neo Member
How do we collect the code for our beta champion's armour and sword? Sent to our psn email?

Also when is it live... the ROTW swag is March 20th.

GraveRobberX

I swear to god when the store updated there was a free Double XP Boost Purchasable

Some people DL'ed it and used up their allotted time

I read it during the store update blog, 6th page

TDSpartan, the Armor/Weapon are on the store

Here's the Armor:
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...rmor/cid=UP9000-BCUS98232_00-CHAMPA0000000000

Here's the Weapon:
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...apon/cid=UP9000-BCUS98232_00-CHAMPS0000000000

And I'm an art student...

I'm illegal

I can pay $79.99, that's not an excuse

Endo Punk

Watching the GT review(and looking away when the story scenes come up) I think elemental blades may well be the best gameplay addition to the franchise. Looks so damn good. Though it may not be as well received as past games I'll judge it for myself when I purchase next week, from what Ive seen it definitely makes me hunger for more Kratos action.

SSM have crafted another visually stunning adventure and I can't wait to see what they can pull of next gen. They have their hands in a lot of games but haven't created a new franchise by themselves this gen so I hope they fix that for the PS4. Im not feeling franchise fatigue but after Ascension I do think GOW needs to take a bit of a rest and come back stronger than ever in 4-5 years.

Loudninja

Watching the GT review(and looking away when the story scenes come up) I think elemental blades may well be the best gameplay addition to the franchise. Looks so damn good. Though it may not be as well received as past games I'll judge it for myself when I purchase next week, from what Ive seen it definitely makes me hunger for more Kratos action.

SSM have crafted another visually stunning adventure and I can't wait to see what they can pull of next gen. They have their hands in a lot of games but haven't created a new franchise by themselves this gen so I hope they fix that for the PS4. Im not feeling franchise fatigue but after Ascension I do think GOW needs to take a bit of a rest and come back stronger than ever in 4-5 years.
Yeah IGN mention that each element gives you different orbs as well
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/07/god-of-war-ascension-review-in-progress

Radec

Go here:

http://www.godofwar.com/en-us/rise-of-the-warrior/

Cheat Sheet Updated, Enjoy!, 1 Chapter to go

Chapter 1: Megaera, Arrow
Chapter 2: Zeus, Five
Chapter 3: Argos, Elysium
Chapter 4: Amulet of Fates, Legionnaire
Chapter 5: Aegean Sea, Caves of Madness
Chapter 6: Brothers, Flame
Chapter 7: Helios, Homer
Chapter 8: Cronos, Aeaea
Chapter 9: Hydra, Boar
Chapter 10: Cerberus, Distrust
Chapter 11: Gorgon, Sacrifice
Chapter 12: Calliope, War Hammer
Chapter 13: Gaia, Poseidon
Chapter 14: Island of Creation, Poison
Chapter 15: Oracle Temple, Gem of Uroborus
Chapter 16: Persephone, Family
Chapter 17: Tartarus, Kirra
Chapter 18: Thera, Oath
Chapter 19: Furies, Imprisoned
Chapter 20: Nemesis Whip, Orkos

Remember to share, you don't have to post it!, just click button = +100 points per chapter

Thanks for this. :D

ToddPapy

Sony Santa Monica
Holy crap, didn't expect you to actually post in here Todd. Always love it when big devs pay a visit here. Out of curiosity, how have you and your team taken to the reviews? And what did you find more difficult to work on, the single player aspect, or the multiplayer?

The reviews are not as high as I hoped, but I'm EXTREMELY proud of what we accomplished. If you read the reviews they say it plays like a God of War game...good that is what we were aiming for ;). The way I look at it, it comes down to the fans, if they like it then we did our job. Look COD, got 83 on metacritic but sold 20+ million, or Psychonauts critics loved it but the average gamer not so much.

Each area of the game has its own challenges. Certain SP levels are very complecated to create/design (Example - Hecaton. The opening level). Getting in and reworking Kratos/combat was a big challenge. The way we work everything really comes together late in the project. With MP, building the tech and design"formula" of how the game works/plays took ALONG time. We put people on it that were able to power through those challenges. I understand that some people look at the MP and discount it, but I believe there is a ton of great content there. Most importantly it feels like GOW, and plays different than everything out there ;)

ToddPapy

Sony Santa Monica
congrats Todd , and SSM.

Still taking care of my favorite franchise.

Also want to thank tank as a great community manager.

can't wait.

Thanks! We love the franchise as much as you (been in my life since 2003 and I still like working on it). I don't want Tank's head getting too big, don't be TOO nice to him ;)

Dead

well not really...yet
The reviews are not as high as I hoped, but I'm EXTREMELY proud of what we accomplished. If you read the reviews they say it plays like a God of War game...good that is what we were aiming for ;). The way I look at it, it comes down to the fans, if they like it then we did our job. Look COD, got 83 on metacritic but sold 20+ million, or Psychonauts critics loved it but the average gamer not so much.

Each area of the game has its own challenges. Certain SP levels are very complecated to create/design (Example - Hecaton. The opening level). Getting in and reworking Kratos/combat was a big challenge. The way we work everything really comes together late in the project. With MP, building the tech and design"formula" of how the game works/plays took ALONG time. We put people on it that were able to power through those challenges. I understand that some people look at the MP and discount it, but I believe there is a ton of great content there. Most importantly it feels like GOW, and plays different than everything out there ;)
A lot of games lately seem to be adding MP simply just to have it, but I appreciate that you guys really went the extra mile to make something that looks really unique and plays to the strengths of the GoW franchise.

Super excited to try out both Multiplayer and Co-Op

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Thanks! We love the franchise as much as you (been in my life since 2003 and I still like working on it). I don't want Tank's head getting too big, don't be TOO nice to him ;)

Todd, thanks for posting here.

Now that embargoes are up and reviews are out, can you say whether or not there's a Challenge of the Gods mode for Kratos, or any plans for a Kratos-based horde mode? The co-op mode sounds really great, but after practicing through the whole single player game with Kratos, I'm going to want really put those skills to the test in a horde mode/Bloody Palace type thing.

Derrick01

Banned
Reviews mean nothing one way or another anyway, from an actual critical level at least. Some crazy people actually gave Alpha Protocol a 63 on metacritic. Others gave Simcity a 9.5 only to change it days later. There's too much inconsistency and I wish they didn't have such an impact on sales and/or marketing.

Radec

Todd, a quick question (you cannot answer this if you like),

But adding Multiplayer on a God of War game was your(SSM) decision/idea or Sony's ?

:)

ToddPapy

Sony Santa Monica
Todd, thanks for posting here.

Now that embargoes are up and reviews are out, can you say whether or not there's a Challenge of the Gods mode for Kratos, or any plans for a Kratos-based horde mode? The co-op mode sounds really great, but after practicing through the whole single player game with Kratos, I'm going to want really put those skills to the test in a horde mode/Bloody Palace type thing.

Sorry, not right now. I'll talk to the team about it, but I'm not promising anything.

Sorral

Echoing other posters that it is nice to see you around here. Your other post gave me a chuckle.

I like what you guys have done with the MP and I loved it when I got my hands on it. Already see myself putting so many hours into it with my friends and cousin.

Does anyone know if there is any region lock? Or it will be open like the rest of Sony's first party games?

After I finished the original God of War (first time recently), I looked up what role you had in its creation and saw you listed as 'game designer: combat scenarios / level design and scripting' on IMDB. Not sure how much of a role you had in that game's level design and pacing, but that was one of my favorite aspects of the game. Great mix of puzzles, combat, and traversal there, and the levels felt like they were unraveling as I played.

Trial of the Gods is playable solo or co-op.

Edit: Oh, you said Kratos-based. Forgot the Trials didn't involve him.

ToddPapy

Sony Santa Monica
Todd, a quick question (you cannot answer this if you like),

But adding Multiplayer on a God of War game was your(SSM) decision/idea or Sony's ?

:)

John H (the internal team director at that time...my direct boss) and I talked about what we could add and we thought MP would be a great thing to try out. I decided to go down the competitive route, most people will play a co-op story once and I wanted to be able to grind a bit.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Watchout for the Trial that everyone is talking about, it has some bite to it. ;)

All the past games had quite a bit of bite on Titan mode as well. Some of my most memorable/rage-filled gaming experiences.

Oh, another question: Someone linked to an article stating that New Game+ would have some "changes" in it. Did they mean changes to the enemy encounters, or were they just referring to the bonuses you can switch on and off with the crystal things you find?

Vire

I wouldn't feel too bad about it. 80 Is still a great score. You had to overcome a lot in terms of stigma even before the reviewers played the game. It's tough after so many sequels.

Quick question, about how many bosses are in the game? It's why I come to the series, I absolutely love God of War boss fights.

Top Bottom