• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Skype and a TV Tuner Could Be Killer Apps

michaelpachter

He speaks, and we freak
In my presentation at SXSW on Saturday night, I picked Microsoft to win next generation because I believe that they will include Skype and a TV tuner in the next Xbox. They have told me nothing, but the progression from Kinect, to voice search through Bing, to the integration of smart glass has led me to consistently "predict" that the next generation Xbox will have a TV tuner built in. The purchase of Skype for $11.5 billion in 2011 was done for a reason, and the fact that Kinect has a camera makes integration of Skype into the next Xbox a logical progression.

Why are either killer apps?

Skype first--My detractors on this site (and there are many of them) are quick to point out that Skype is available on many devices, including just about any laptop with a built-in camera and any smart phone or tablet. What they miss is that Skype isn't generally available with a wide-angle camera lens, isn't generally available in the living room, and isn't generally very easy for grandma to use. The next generation Xbox cures all of these issues, and lets anybody call anyone else by merely talking to their always connected Xbox. Again, I don't KNOW that this is going to happen, but it makes a lot of sense that it will. Why is that a killer app? Because if you're a 16 year-old living at home, it's an easy hook to sell your parents on the next generation Xbox by convincing them that the entire family can call grandma every night and say goodnight. I think it's even a compelling reason to buy a console for grandma, so she can video chat with her grandkids, and it conveniently gives the 16 year-old something to do when he's forced to visit grandma. I don't know for sure WHY Microsoft bought Skype, but this seems as logical a reason as any. I think that living room to any phone globally is a lot easier than PC to phone, and I think that people with families overseas or far away will be interested in making calls easily (and cheaply) via Skype if the service is included in a plug and play device like the next Xbox.

OK, that was the easy part. The TV side takes a bit more imagination.

Adding a TV tuner isn't really that big of a deal. However, the WAY the TV signal is delivered is a big deal. If Microsoft were to sign with one or more cable providers, the signal would not come over cable or satellite; instead, it would come over the Internet. Internet service providers are an impediment to this working (will discuss below), but if data cap issues are set aside for the moment, a cable company would be able to offer IPTV beyond their FCC-regulated region. That means that consumers could get any cable TV service in any jurisdiction (yes, this is U.S.-centric, but bear with me for a minute). Right now, Comcast has around half of U.S. households who subscribe to cable or satellite; if they had no territorial limitations, they could go for all households. That is meaningful to them, and to the guys who they plan to take market share from, so it is only a matter of time before everyone will sign up with Microsoft for this, assuming I'm right. I've been saying this for close to two years, and I think the technology has evolved to the point where this can happen with the next console.

Assuming I'm right, there are two advantages to the cable companies: first, the Xbox replaces the cable box (or at least, the primary box); and second, the cable company can sell service outside of its regulated area, since it will be selling IPTV. Choice is good for consumers, so the government will favor this outcome. It's an open question whether Microsoft can route the TV signal from the Xbox to other televisions in the same household wirelessly, but it seems that they could do so by attaching some sort of dongle to the other television, and trick the TV into thinking it was connected to a cable box. The cable company saves capital (no cable boxes to build), operating expense (no installation or service call), and ultimately can attract more customers.

The trick to this working is to get the ISPs to lift data caps. That's a tall order, but for those of you old enough to remember, cellular service used to work the same way as cable television worked, with carriers assigned certain regions. That all changed a few years ago, and roaming charges evaporated as if by magic. In order for that to happen, the carriers had to agree to carry one another's service on their proprietary networks. It worked, and I think something similar will happen with ISPs if cable television becomes IPTV. The good news for ISPs is that IPTV will drive even greater adoption of broadband, and will make broadband more essential, so I think that if the next generation Xbox is an IPTV tuner, we'll see a lot of happy cable companies and ISPs.

Why is this a killer app? Because television can go from a static delivery with a handful of programs on demand to a fully on-demand experience. If people are willing to pay, there is no reason why every episode of every TV show ever broadcast couldn't be pulled up and viewed on demand. This can absolutely happen with IPTV, and if a cable company has the rights to the programming, it is likely to happen.

The essential component of all of this is that the cable company sees the potential to sign up its customers to a long-term, high subscription price contract. This is similar to what mobile phone carriers saw when smart phones debuted, where data plans averaged $100 per month, and users got a subsidized smart phone in exchange for a two-year contract. I think we'll see the same thing with the next Xbox (if I'm right about the TV tuner): a subsidized console in exchange for a two-year cable TV contract. Other potential sources of subsidies are Microsoft themselves (subsidized console for a two-year subscription to XBL, at $20 - 30/month but including IPTV, XBL Gold and Skype for free) and ISPs (maybe a two-year broadband contract at $60/month or more).

Again, the 16 year-old who talks his parents into extending their current cable TV subscription or their broadband subscription for two years will end up with a cheap console. That makes Microsoft the favorite (for now), in my view.

Some of you asked why I had "predictions" now, instead of waiting for all of the details on pricing, features, specs and launch date to be announced? The answer is that SXSW was last weekend, and I had to write something. I may be wrong, but it's my best thinking as of now. Once we learn the details of the next Xbox, I'll modify my "predictions".

Hope that helps some of you to understand my madness a bit better.

Sirolf

Well...Skype is good and all that..But i fail to apprehend the TV aspect as i'm an european with little incentive to replace my already powerful ISP box (freebox) by the Durango..

I really think putting so much weight on Skype no matter which way anyone spins it is crazy.

The TV tuner thing is certainly interesting, especially when you pointed out that subscriptions could maybe come with a "720" but it's also possible because of that there will be a lot of customer confusion causing the Wii-U and PS4 is be the 'gaming machine' to casuals.

It'll be interesting and I can't wait to see how this all unfolds, though.

Doesn't everyone get their signals from digitally encrypted satellites or cable systems these days? I don't see this working, considering the "internet" sourced channels would be coming over cable company lines. They already have their market. Why share the pie with Microsoft?

And if anyone starts talking about OTA, cord cutters are a very small minority. The type of minority that won't want to overcome the Microsoft paywall infront of the tuner.

I understand the logic, but are you saying that you don't expect Sony to offer a TV service of sorts? They already had one in the EU.

Microsoft expects Sony to have Google TV built into their box.

NotLiquid

Most Smart TVs already have Skype though, and those aren't behind a paywall. While I can't speak much for how successful those are I really don't think having Skype on an Xbox is going to sell anyone on it.

ToyBroker

Banned
Hey Michael, you know whatever you predict usually the exact opposite comes true, right?

Not trying to be mean, but your "status" in the gaming industry is equivalent to a quarter operated fortune teller. Amusement, nothing more. And certainly nothing to believe in.

farnham

Banned
Some of you asked why I had "predictions" now, instead of waiting for all of the details on pricing, features, specs and launch date to be announced? The answer is that SXSW was last weekend, and I had to write something. I may be wrong, but it's my best thinking as of now. Once we learn the details of the next Xbox, I'll modify my "predictions".

Hope that helps some of you to understand my madness a bit better.

sums it up

Adding a TV tuner isn't really that big of a deal. However, the WAY the TV signal is delivered is a big deal. If Microsoft were to sign with one or more cable providers, the signal would not come over cable or satellite; instead, it would come over the Internet. Internet service providers are an impediment to this working (will discuss below), but if data cap issues are set aside for the moment, a cable company would be able to offer IPTV beyond their FCC-regulated region. That means that consumers could get any cable TV service in any jurisdiction (yes, this is U.S.-centric, but bear with me for a minute).

What you describe doesn't need a tv tuner at all...

BD1

Banned
Lifting data caps is like opening a can of worms. Once that happens, the toothpaste is out of the bottle. Are ISPs going to do that in 2013? I don't know, but I have serious doubts.

Skype could be implemented into the PS4. Also, in Europe, one current console got a TV tuner, guess which one?

Skype is owned by Microsoft. While it is unlikely Microsoft will block Sony from having the feature, they clearly have the advantage in implementing the feature with cool perks in their own box.

chogidogs

I don't like talking on the phone and I don't watch TV. I guess the next xbox wouldn't be for me if those were it's main selling points.

Raide

Never really thought about the TV tuner in that way. Certainly an interesting propositional but unless ISP's around the world work something out, it seems like a pipe-dream. An awesome IPTV dream. :D

I wonder how many companies are willing to drop their on boxes in order to support MS and push (possibly) worldwide. As someone from the UK, I would kill for MS to get it working since we always miss out on the more advanced XBL features that the US seem to get.

As for Skype, the more is gets integrated, the better it will be. Killer app? Maybe not but I am sure MS linking it in as the default Voice Comms and video chat feature for the 720 can only be a good thing.

L1NETT

And not behind a $60 paywall, which I'm sure Skype will be on a Xbox device

Yep came here to say this.

Not sure how many families would be convinced to buy an Xbox due to Skype. I know this is anecdotal, but my family in the US and here in England communicate fine via Skype on laptops. Not sure it being on Xbox would be a huge leap.

But thanks for the post Pacther, it is appreciated.

DJ_Lae

The TV thing would be interesting. The 360 has had the ability to function as a Telus TV box up here for years (though not with Shaw, I suppose due to money hats), which is a neat (if sort of superfluous) feature.

Takuya

Banned
I find it funny when you mention cable providers and internet. In a lot of cases, the cable provider and the internet come through the same cable... So... Yea Pachter. Why would they switch to the internet protocols for transmitting content which is already available through their own cabling network?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
The 360 already does the whole Internet TV doesn't it, I'm pretty sure the Sky service here in the UK is literally the whole thing with all the channels and without an actual cable box, you just need the subscription and it is all streamed like predicted for the next Xbox, except it is already happened.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Hey Michael, you know whatever you predict usually the exact opposite comes true, right?

Not trying to be mean, but your "status" in the gaming industry is equivalent to a quarter operated fortune teller. Amusement, nothing more. And certainly nothing to believe in.

got something to say about the topic?

edit: also, you're definitely trying to come of as a dick

I don't know about that Mr. Pachter, for the Grandma it will be as difficult or even more to buy, hook up and effectively use a next generation console just to Skype

i fail to see the importance of skype in a console, i can already do it on my ipad mini, my galaxy s2 and on my laptop or desktop. having it on consoles is pointless to me.
as for the tv tuner, sure, that might be a big thing in the US, but i doubt here in europe (and portugal in my case) we'll even get that thing working. even the nintendo tvii will only be available in "select regions" in europe only this year.

worked great for the GBA

bXH7JeS.jpg

jokes, I think you're right about this being part of MS's plans, not sure if it'll be as big a deal as you think but we'll see

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think Grandma has been reticent to use Skype conferencing because there isn't a wide lens camera on hand, but I guess we'll see.

Takuya

Banned
I don't know about that Mr. Pachter, for the Grandma it will be as difficult or even more to buy, hook up and effectively use a next generation console just to Skype

"Game Box, I want to call my grandson.."

[...]

"Game box, call Johnny"

[...]

"Game box are you listening?"

jlevel13

The skype stuff, it's just not that big of a deal. You could do the same thing with video chat on 360, ps3, and even wii already. Some people surely used it, but people aren't buying consoles for themselves & their grandparents simply to use that feature - now that it's skype branded (in theory), how is that different?

The iptv stuff? they've been talking about it for a long time (five years?), but other then testing it in a couple of markets nothing happened. cable companies are making money too easily and aren't going to change. People aren't buying $300-$400 consoles to watch more TV.

Top Bottom