• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Skype and a TV Tuner Could Be Killer Apps

KAL2006

Banned
I don't see people with Sky+ box, Freeview+ box, Netflix, BBC iPlayer and etc already connected to their tv's caring about any of this. As for Skype I don't think it's a big deal and Sony can also use Skype.

sono

My thoughts;

I dont agree with you.

My reasons:

Video phones are not popular. People usually want visual privacy when they make a phone call.

People dont want people they are talking to on the phone into their living rooms. A living room is a very personal and private retreat.

Netflix and others are competitors on consoles.

People dont associate Microsoft as their TV provider.

Sonys Play TV PS3 accessory didnt sell that well.

Midou

Well I appreciate you coming to explain it, and there is certainly some logical assumptions in there. (TV Tuner wise)

I'm not sure what the market is that overlaps gaming and services like this so I can't speak one way or another really. It will also depend whether MS incorporates something like that.

If it is behind a paywall though, it may not seem worth it.

Sony certainly has a lot of potential with gaikai as a service too, maybe they will move into other domains. It will depend on licencing and such a lot more though.

And of course.. Netflix. If that is available in the basic and maybe free PSN package, it may be a deterrent.

StuBurns

Banned
It wont have a TV Tuner unless they plan to have a crapload of different revisions, a lot of territories use different kinds of OTA.
Yeah, Apple have been trying to tackle that exact problem for a long time, and so far have come up with nothing of value to the consumer. If Apple can't tackle a consumer electronics market, MS can't.

madmackem

Wait why would you need a tv tuner to get live tv streamed over the internet. We can already get that over here in the uk on 360. Skype comes on alot of smart tvs, i would guess the barrier to entry fro granny would be less on just the tv then booting up a games console too no?.

offshore

The TV stuff is interesting, but just seems like a novelty to me. Not exactly the same of course, but it's like PlayTV on PS3. It's interesting for a while, but it's just like why watch TV through a console when you can just watch it... on the TV, and get on-demand video through the glut of services that are around?

MS would have to come up with a hell a service to make it a true stand-out service.

Pociask

That'll do, Pach, that'll do. I think people pooh-pooh's a tv tuner as a selling point have a lack of imagination, or even observation. Unless you've cut the cord (like me! do it! you won't regret it!), you've probably got a cable box unobtrusively sitting next to your tv, right now. They're already in far more homes than video game consoles. If Microsoft can be the cable box that also lets you play games*, it could be a real game changer.

*Also note what other functionality cable companies are already trying to bring to their boxes - security services, control your home lighting. It's kind of a natural fit, as video game consoles are trying to expand in the living room, and so are the cable boxes, for the two to just meet somewhere in the middle.

Takuya

Banned
I don't see people with Sky+ box, Freeview+ box, Netflix, BBC iPlayer and etc already connected to their tv's caring about any of this. As for Skype I don't think it's a big deal and Sony can also use Skype.

And new TVs come with it (smart TVs).

onQ123

Using Kinect to help make the Xbox more like a iDevice / Android device to help Windows RT compete is the Killer app but the question is will it put them in the line of fire like the Wii U because the Wii U tablet put it in the line of fire while Tablets & Phone's are on a killing spree.

Example: my brother asked my nephew if he wanted the Wii U for for Christmas & he replied "No! I can't take it with me I want a tablet"

if Kinect can make the Xbox 3 the iPad for the living room it could be big but it could also work against it.

pfkas

Wouldn't skyping from your couch way back mean that your face would be really tiny in the middle of the screen? Maybe you could wave your arms around a lot to be really expressive.

impirius

Video chat is nice as a selling point, but how often do people actually use it? I'd love to see some numbers on how many people have used the Video Kinect app.

Vexxan

The only killer app for me are the games. All these extra services have in the past been very limited to people in the US only so most of them don't work anywhere else and this TV-tuner sounds exactly like such a thing. I know you can get Skype up and running on most devices but I could never see myself using it in front of my TV.

Somnid

There's living room Skype devices and while they won't see the same push I don't think it matter. If you're claiming it'll make Skype easy for Grandma you'd need to explain why that alone is compelling enough for Grandma to have a $400+ video games system and further why that's much better for Grandma than Wii U or PS4 video chat.

For the second cable is dying. TV habits are changing and both Netflix and Amazon are the new "channels." It doesn't matter how it comes, that's an implementation issue (In fact HTML 5 video encryption just released in Chrome and is being utilized by Netflix for plugin free DRM video on Samsung Chromebooks), all that matters is the content and price. You don't need 20 channels of reruns and many people don't watch sports which is the single largest cost in cable. The most MS can do is provide the same a la carte programming that others do but they're way late to the party.

MormaPope

Banned
Skype is everywhere where it matters already.

Did you read his explanation on why it could be a killer app?

I agree with Pachter on those potential features being part of the Durango's success, but I don't know if those will be the main aspects or reasons why it's successful. If I can get all the channels that are provided to me simply by signing into my profile and going to the cable/ISP app, that would be pretty damn slick.

That would mean as long as I have access to any Durango and my gamertag/profile, I could access my cable subscription anywhere where there's internet.

I really don't understand the advantage of the Xbox TV tuner. Every recent television has a built-in digital tuner, and (at least in Europe) has a CI module, so that you can plug in a smartcard directly into the television, no additional box needed. What is the new Xbox going to add to this?

Realy?
I dont know why they call him an analist. But most important question is; why does he think he knows anything about gaming?

Are you going to contribute to the discussion, or are you just going to keep attacking him for no discernible reason?

Anyways. As has been mentioned before, the price of Live might cause a problem here.

mario_O

I dont see any of that as a killer app, My Tv has Skype integrated like most High def Tv's and also having a tv tuner in a console is nothing new, the ps3 has had that for years.

Cyborg

Its all about the games for me, the rest means nothing to me.
Im a gamer and Im intersted in games!

Baleoce

gg_tuner.jpeg

Ahead of its time *sniff*

Reallink

LOL@IPTV. Never, ever, ever, ever going to happen in America without significant government intervention. Your regional cable monopoly will simply hike Internet ONLY prices to whatever you're currently paying for your 2 or 3 service bundle. Then you will also have the $80+ IPTV service fee on top of that from whatever third party provider. Why would TWC let $80-$120 revenue/mo go to Comcast? So they save a fraction of that loss on trouble calls and set tops? LOLNO. Even if you wanted to argue some utopian case where all the majors compete and undercut each other with boundry-free IPTV services, what about all the smaller and regional providers (who combined account for almost half, or more, of total subscribership) but individually couldn't dream of competing with their own IPTV services. They would never let that revenue leave their system.

Strong post.

I "get" the Skype thing but I'm not necessarily sold on Skype being a system seller. Crazier things have happened I suppose. My daughter "face times" with her grandma weekly on the iPad and in theory, a new xbox is cheaper in theory than an iPad.

Still...if it's stuck behind a Xbox Live Gold subscription. You're going to lose some if not most of what's exciting about that.

As for T.V.

America is the wild fuckin west when it comes to deals with cable providers. Here in Canada, shit is locked down tight and cable companies are primarily the internet companies. They don't give a shit about what Microsoft has planned and they LOVE their bandwidth caps.

LAMBO

If the 720 started replacing cable boxes and caused people to cancel their cable subscriptions, my cable company, Time Warner Cable, would send goons to people’s homes with sledgehammers to smash their 720’s. Also I only have cable for sports, and there will never be local sports on IPTV so it couldn’t be a replacement for most people.

Tripolygon

Banned
Skype was bought because of the user base and name recognition. Pretty much every platform has its own video chat service. If you are an Xbox user, you have a Live account and you can use the Video Kinect service to video chat with anyone on your friends list and if you are a PlayStation user, you have a PSN account and you can use the video chat app to communicate with anyone on your friends list.

Now where Skype has an advantage is the potential of it being hardware agnostic, you can use your phone to chat and talk to friends across the iPhone, Android Phone, Vita, Xbox 360 and PC. Sony has stated they will be releasing an App platform that lets you carry your PSN services with you across the iPhone, Android and i would assume since PSN is part of SEN, your PSN services goes with you to Sony TV and Bluray players and the WEB with the same potential to voice and video chat with anyone around the world with a SEN account.

In other words, Skype on the nextBox will just be replacing video kinect but with the ability to talk to people on other platforms using a Skype account or a Live account. Not a killer feature but a nice addition to the XLive services.

Raide

I don't think he means a physical TV-Tuner inside the box, I think it means being able to view it as a set-top box which can access the TV.

I guess it depends on how MS work Skype into their plans. I can seem them re-launching Windows 8 (Blue I think?), Windows Phone 8 and 720 and then show off all the Skype/feature links.

I know people have plenty of devices that already do this but what if you could reduce the number of devices down to 1 or 2 that are connected with sync abilities between Console, PC and Mobile?

I really don't understand the advantage of the Xbox TV tuner. Every recent television has a built-in digital tuner, and (at least in Europe) has a CI module, so that you can plug in a smartcard directly into the television, no additional box needed. What is the new Xbox going to add to this?

Well, it adds all those bits plus all of the other 360 specific features like Games etc.

Berg

TV tuner as in....

like the wiiU's controller can change your tv input and cable channels, like a remote control...?

..or like it's own cable DVR box, the tv signal is going thru your xbox to your TV. and can record TV?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I use the Sky (UK) app on my 360 and it does pretty much everything you said. You get around 40 live tv channels and hundreds of on demand shows and movies.

I think you're right in that being able to signup for a service and use a device like an Xbox could be a game changer for a lot of people.

androvsky

Strong post.

I "get" the Skype thing but I'm not necessarily sold on Skype being a system seller. Crazier things have happened I suppose. My daughter "face times" with her grandma weekly on the iPad and in theory, a new xbox is cheaper in theory than an iPad.

Still...if it's stuck behind a Xbox Live Gold subscription. You're going to lose some if not most of what's exciting about that.

The next XBox isn't going to be cheaper than a Nexus 7.

MormaPope

Banned
TV tuner as in....

like the wiiU's controller can change your tv input and cable channels, like a remote control...?

..or like it's own cable DVR box, the tv signal is going thru your xbox to your TV. and can record TV?

I believe he means the bolded.

Jigolo

PSP 1 had Skype! I used it a couple times believe it or not.

So a couple of times = killer app? Also not sure if your post was sarcasm.

Not trying to knock the use of the app since I use it as well....on my laptop.

These are gaming consoles, meant to play games and worry about this kind of stuff as secondary things. Vita has the app but people don't say to themselves "Oh, PS Vita has Skype, now I have to buy it" and I doubt it will be the case for Xbox3.

It should be about the games not apps. MS has it's priorities wrong.

Amir0x

Banned
I like this michaelpachter, dude all elaborately explaining his positions even if you disagree with them. Just like the other topic, hats off dude.

In my presentation at SXSW on Saturday night, I picked Microsoft to win next generation because I believe that they will include Skype and a TV tuner in the next Xbox. They have told me nothing, but the progression from Kinect, to voice search through Bing, to the integration of smart glass has led me to consistently "predict" that the next generation Xbox will have a TV tuner built in. The purchase of Skype for $11.5 billion in 2011 was done for a reason, and the fact that Kinect has a camera makes integration of Skype into the next Xbox a logical progression.

Why are either killer apps?

Skype first--My detractors on this site (and there are many of them) are quick to point out that Skype is available on many devices, including just about any laptop with a built-in camera and any smart phone or tablet. What they miss is that Skype isn't generally available with a wide-angle camera lens, isn't generally available in the living room, and isn't generally very easy for grandma to use. The next generation Xbox cures all of these issues, and lets anybody call anyone else by merely talking to their always connected Xbox. Again, I don't KNOW that this is going to happen, but it makes a lot of sense that it will. Why is that a killer app? Because if you're a 16 year-old living at home, it's an easy hook to sell your parents on the next generation Xbox by convincing them that the entire family can call grandma every night and say goodnight. I think it's even a compelling reason to buy a console for grandma, so she can video chat with her grandkids, and it conveniently gives the 16 year-old something to do when he's forced to visit grandma. I don't know for sure WHY Microsoft bought Skype, but this seems as logical a reason as any. I think that living room to any phone globally is a lot easier than PC to phone, and I think that people with families overseas or far away will be interested in making calls easily (and cheaply) via Skype if the service is included in a plug and play device like the next Xbox.

OK, that was the easy part. The TV side takes a bit more imagination.

Adding a TV tuner isn't really that big of a deal. However, the WAY the TV signal is delivered is a big deal. If Microsoft were to sign with one or more cable providers, the signal would not come over cable or satellite; instead, it would come over the Internet. Internet service providers are an impediment to this working (will discuss below), but if data cap issues are set aside for the moment, a cable company would be able to offer IPTV beyond their FCC-regulated region. That means that consumers could get any cable TV service in any jurisdiction (yes, this is U.S.-centric, but bear with me for a minute). Right now, Comcast has around half of U.S. households who subscribe to cable or satellite; if they had no territorial limitations, they could go for all households. That is meaningful to them, and to the guys who they plan to take market share from, so it is only a matter of time before everyone will sign up with Microsoft for this, assuming I'm right. I've been saying this for close to two years, and I think the technology has evolved to the point where this can happen with the next console.

Assuming I'm right, there are two advantages to the cable companies: first, the Xbox replaces the cable box (or at least, the primary box); and second, the cable company can sell service outside of its regulated area, since it will be selling IPTV. Choice is good for consumers, so the government will favor this outcome. It's an open question whether Microsoft can route the TV signal from the Xbox to other televisions in the same household wirelessly, but it seems that they could do so by attaching some sort of dongle to the other television, and trick the TV into thinking it was connected to a cable box. The cable company saves capital (no cable boxes to build), operating expense (no installation or service call), and ultimately can attract more customers.

The trick to this working is to get the ISPs to lift data caps. That's a tall order, but for those of you old enough to remember, cellular service used to work the same way as cable television worked, with carriers assigned certain regions. That all changed a few years ago, and roaming charges evaporated as if by magic. In order for that to happen, the carriers had to agree to carry one another's service on their proprietary networks. It worked, and I think something similar will happen with ISPs if cable television becomes IPTV. The good news for ISPs is that IPTV will drive even greater adoption of broadband, and will make broadband more essential, so I think that if the next generation Xbox is an IPTV tuner, we'll see a lot of happy cable companies and ISPs.

Why is this a killer app? Because television can go from a static delivery with a handful of programs on demand to a fully on-demand experience. If people are willing to pay, there is no reason why every episode of every TV show ever broadcast couldn't be pulled up and viewed on demand. This can absolutely happen with IPTV, and if a cable company has the rights to the programming, it is likely to happen.

The essential component of all of this is that the cable company sees the potential to sign up its customers to a long-term, high subscription price contract. This is similar to what mobile phone carriers saw when smart phones debuted, where data plans averaged $100 per month, and users got a subsidized smart phone in exchange for a two-year contract. I think we'll see the same thing with the next Xbox (if I'm right about the TV tuner): a subsidized console in exchange for a two-year cable TV contract. Other potential sources of subsidies are Microsoft themselves (subsidized console for a two-year subscription to XBL, at $20 - 30/month but including IPTV, XBL Gold and Skype for free) and ISPs (maybe a two-year broadband contract at $60/month or more).

Again, the 16 year-old who talks his parents into extending their current cable TV subscription or their broadband subscription for two years will end up with a cheap console. That makes Microsoft the favorite (for now), in my view.

Some of you asked why I had "predictions" now, instead of waiting for all of the details on pricing, features, specs and launch date to be announced? The answer is that SXSW was last weekend, and I had to write something. I may be wrong, but it's my best thinking as of now. Once we learn the details of the next Xbox, I'll modify my "predictions".

Hope that helps some of you to understand my madness a bit better.

I think there's a lot of "ifs" in your idea on why these may be killer apps, and particularly with the TV Tuner thing, some of the ifs are so large that I can't imagine they have any possibility of coming true this next gen or even the one after that - U.S. broadband providers currently have no incentive to lift caps because people going over can potentially be an added revenue stream (upgrade for higher bandwidth cap; pay for whatever bandwidth you go over). What's worse, US. broadband speeds pathetically lag behind much of the industrialized world - and until it doesn't, things like this and Sony's 4K Resolution video service will never be killer apps, as far as I can see.

As for the Skype, unless Microsoft has an exclusivity window on it - and I don't know if they do - I can't imagine it being a killer app. PS4 comes with an EyeToy thing that could conceivably do almost everything the new Xbox Kinect does when it comes to video chat, so it's not something I imagine one or the other would have any meaningful leverage over... unless one of them secures exclusivity. So, Microsoft has acquired skype? Boy, I'm so out of the loop. But even then, I don't think someone is going to go out of their way to buy a videogame console for that... we'll see if Microsoft does the subsidized console pricing thing, it could be revolutionary in terms of console pricing structure. Of course, that revolution would be offset by the comically anti-consumer used games lock that is rumoured.

All of the people in this topic who for the life of them cannot focus on what he is saying and keep going on about 'why is he an analyst' or whatever, all I can do is smh.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Re. skype

I do think video calling can be a very attractive application.

However in this context I don't think a TV console is the most attractive vehicle. Tablets and phones probably are.

'Facetime' is a huge thing with my family now (and is the best video calling I've experienced - Skype is nothing compared to it) - and an iPad mini was bought for my parents at Christmas mostly just for that. Cheaper options exist outside of the FaceTime family too.

Not sure this would be a USP for a TV console. Competes head-on with the smart device space that already has huge traction. Can't really see families connecting via games consoles like this when far more ubiquitous infrastructure already exists. Grandma is far more likely to be bought a phone or tablet to keep in touch than a games console.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Interesting thoughts. I use Skype quite a bit for both my work and for personal, but I have to believe that it has to be implemented correctly.

I think the biggest thing is that someone has to be able to call me while I'm doing other things on the XBox including playing games. I have to have the ability to set a default like it can't interrupt during mp matches otherwise it'll be about as useful for me as facebook, lastfm etc. It's not something I'm going to make a point to go use the app itself.

For the TV part, that could be huge if the companies allow me to actually buy per show instead of forcing me into a bundle package. I'm about to cancel my satellite because of the fact that I'm forced to buy all this extraneous stuff I have 0 interest in because I want espn.

Edit: @Amir0x - MS bought Skype.

farnham

Banned
I like this michaelpachter, dude all elaborately explaining his positions even if you disagree with them. Just like the other topic, hats off dude.

I think there's a lot of "ifs" in your idea on why these may be killer apps, and particularly with the TV Tuner thing, some of the ifs are so large that I can't imagine they have any possibility of coming true this next gen or even the one after that - U.S. broadband providers currently have no incentive to lift caps because people going over can potentially be an added revenue stream (upgrade for higher bandwidth cap; pay for whatever bandwidth you go over). What's worse, US. broadband speeds pathetically lag behind much of the industrialized world - and until it doesn't, things like this and Sony's 4K Resolution video service will never be killer apps, as far as I can see.

As for the Skype, unless Microsoft has an exclusivity window on it - and I don't know if they do -
I can't imagine it being a killer app. PS4 comes with an EyeToy thing that could conceivably do almost everything the new Xbox Kinect does when it comes to video chat, so it's not something I imagine one or the other would have any meaningful leverage over... unless one of them secures exclusivity. But even then, I don't think someone is going to go out of their way to buy a videogame console for that... we'll see if Microsoft does the subsidized console pricing thing, it could be revolutionary in terms of console pricing structure. Of course, that revolution would be offset by the comically anti-consumer used games lock that is rumoured.

All of the people in this topic who for the life of them cannot focus on what he is saying and keep going on about 'why is he an analyst' or whatever, all I can do is smh.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/14/microsoft-finalizes-acquisition-of-skype-tony-bates-shares-his/

Raide

These are gaming consoles, meant to play games and worry about this kind of stuff as secondary things. Vita has the app but people don't say to themselves "Oh, PS Vita has Skype, now I have to buy it" and I doubt it will be the case for Xbox3.

After spending all that cash on Skype, I just don't see MS just firing out a Skype App for 720. I can see it being a fully integrated part of the console which should mean some decent voice comms quality for once. :D Throw in video chatting during games and any of the fancier features Sony is currently showing off, I am sure as hell MS are doing stuff more than just phoning people on Skype

MormaPope

Banned

The Vita could have an auto orgasm button that makes the user automatically ejaculate, it would still have terrible sales.

Also I think 3rd parties are going to be developing games for the Durango, and for me personally exclusive games don't really matter compared to 3rd party software.

Interfectum

Why are either killer apps?

Skype first--My detractors on this site (and there are many of them) are quick to point out that Skype is available on many devices, including just about any laptop with a built-in camera and any smart phone or tablet. What they miss is that Skype isn't generally available with a wide-angle camera lens, isn't generally available in the living room, and isn't generally very easy for grandma to use. The next generation Xbox cures all of these issues, and lets anybody call anyone else by merely talking to their always connected Xbox. Again, I don't KNOW that this is going to happen, but it makes a lot of sense that it will. Why is that a killer app? Because if you're a 16 year-old living at home, it's an easy hook to sell your parents on the next generation Xbox by convincing them that the entire family can call grandma every night and say goodnight. I think it's even a compelling reason to buy a console for grandma, so she can video chat with her grandkids, and it conveniently gives the 16 year-old something to do when he's forced to visit grandma. I don't know for sure WHY Microsoft bought Skype, but this seems as logical a reason as any. I think that living room to any phone globally is a lot easier than PC to phone, and I think that people with families overseas or far away will be interested in making calls easily (and cheaply) via Skype if the service is included in a plug and play device like the next Xbox.

There is a better chance "grandma" will have and be able to intuitively use an Apple device over an Xbox. I fail to see how Skype is a killer app in this regard, at all.

Are you seriously saying that families will buy "grandma" a next-generation gaming system + (presumably) an XBL gold subscription to do a weekly video chat with the family over something like an iPad? Come on.

CamHostage

Uhm, not on my tv so no, it isn't. Skype in my living room would be great on so many levels.

It's on your grandmother's iPad.

That's where it had the opportunity to be a "killer app", on the device (the portable device, I might add) that people of all ages and genders and levels of experience already use for their communication needs. And those $99 streaming devices like Roku that non-techie homes are plugging in by the truckload in order to get their Netflix, those are a $10 USB cam add-on away from bringing Skype to their living room too. (In fact, there's nothing stopping Xbox 360 or PS3 from doing Skype right this very second, the PSP had it years ago and both PS3 and Xbox already have webchat services.)

Having Skype on a bleeding-edge, high-priced video game machine, that'll start to help broaden the audience in years 2-4 maybe if the machine catches on with the casuals, but a killer app at launch? I don't see it at all.

Top Bottom