• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony kills concept approval, makes moves to get indies onto PS4

V_Ben

Banned
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/189271/Sony_kills_concept_approval_makes_moves_to_get_indies_onto_PS4.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29

Tell me about the changes you're making.

We've just changed our whole concept submission process. It used to be two stages, and all this feedback, and now it's just one, and it's optional feedback, so there's no greenlighting process, no voting, no weird stuff.

So is that just for indies, or is that across the board?

Everyone. Everyone, now, basically.

What I did, getting on board, went across the world and listened to feedback -- and said, "What are the biggest complaints, and how do we knock this out?" So that changed, and we continue to work every week on "what else are they complaining about?"

So if it's, hey, these guys are developing content for Vita, and we like the team, so we send them Vita kits as loaners for free. Or waiving patch fees for independent developers, if they need that support, then we're totally behind it.

How do you make that determination?

I don't like calling them "indie." I don't like making that distinction.

Usually the way we just say, if you're a digital publisher or a retail publisher, a disc publisher, and that's the main way. For our internal group we have Developer Relations, and they handle all digital publishers, and then we have Publisher Relations, and they handle all the disc publishers. That's kinda the way we break it down.

And studios, if they're small enough and scrappy enough, then they want to be indie. Then they tell us.

In the past, Sony was really hardline about getting approvals for concepts. It sounds like things have really been streamlined. Can you go into that a bit more?

Previously, how it worked, is that there were two stages. There was Stage 1, which was purely the concept approval, and then there was the second stage you would send in, much later on. And all of the different various stages of approval for putting your content out and putting a patch, basically your server ID would be given to you once you passed Concept Stage 2.

Previously what happened is you would get some feedback that was written by various teams around the globe, and compiled, and sent back to you. And we just found that when we talked directly to developers, and said, "Okay, we required you to respond to that feedback line-by-line, we required everyone to read them."And a lot of time when we talked to bigger teams, and even mid-sized teams, we said, how helpful was that feedback, and as we sat down with them they said, "We're paying 300 people to make a game," or 80 people, or 100 people. "We have a market for it, we have a publishing and marketing team, we do focus testing. Why do we need your feedback?"

And it made us realize that, why are we creating feedback for partners? If they want it, they can get it. That was the first big change. Let's make it a checklist. So they absolutely have to adhere to one of our main pillars for our platforms.

And then the second part was, why do we need it to be two stages? Realistically, if we want to be a facilitator for content, we want to get out of the way as much as possible. We obviously want to be aware. So now we almost treat it as, if we see stuff that we like, we're like, "Oh, maybe we can Pub Fund that, or we can do a partnership around that title." So that's more of an accounting task, whereas in the past it was an editorial staff task. And that's why guys like Nick Suttner who were hired into the eval group are now account managers in the Developer Relations team.

More at the link, really great moves being made here.

The removal of patch fees is a big one. I like seeing that.

Right now Sony seems to be making all of the right calls about their next platforms.

So is that just for indies, or is that across the board?

Everyone. Everyone, now, basically.
everyone_zps26dbd466.gif

great for struggling devs

Amir0x

Banned
Sony just seems to be hitting note after note for all the development communities right now. I am seriously impressed with their strategy on that end. I just hope they can have a reasonable price for the system, because from the sounds of things it'd be really good for the development community if the system is successful.

It amazes me how many bad practices were in place this generation.

I'm glad they are being removed what seems to be across the board with the big 3.

When your competition gets agressive with indie, it's best to follow suit and one up them. Apple better wise up or they'll be left behind.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I didn't even know Sony had blocks in place. I thought they just let whoever wanted what on their store compared to XBLA's very narrow focus on quality over quantity.

Meelow

Banned
I can tell indies will be happy this gen, with both Nintendo and Sony making sure that their systems are indie lovers.

Wonder if Microsoft will join them or not.

I just hope this doesn't lead to big titles being buried under shovelware.

Yeah, they'll have to curate. That's where the real "restriction" comes into play.

Having the restriction level at actually the submission point, before getting on the store, is absolutely idiotic.

Get rid of those resources and move them to the curation/promotion aspect of the service.

Done.

Zoe

So what does this mean for restrictions like all games needing to be dubbed for the region?

I didn't even know Sony had blocks in place. I thought they just let whoever wanted what on their store compared to XBLA's very narrow focus on quality over quantity.

Let's be fair here. MS just had the requirement that your XBLA game have a major publisher. They didn't give two shits if the game was actually good.

I just hope this doesn't lead to big titles being buried under shovelware.

Wont the bigger publishers still pay for advertising on places like PSN Store?

Also, does this cause a concern for releasing games broken and patching on the fly? Or maybe that's just cynicism? Surely nobody wants to be the next Sim City

So what does this mean for restrictions like all games needing to be dubbed for the region?

The interview says there is still a checklist "So they absolutely have to adhere to one of our main pillars for our platforms. "

I assume that is the standard requirements for any game appearing on the system. I would imagine that dubbing could be one of those.

You even have to get your game approved separately in the EU zone. Luckily Sony is very friendly and helpful so it doesn't sting some devs as much as the XBLA process that is worldwide in approval.

androvsky

It amazes me how many bad practices were in place this generation.

I'm glad they are being removed what seems to be across the board with the big 3.

When your competition gets agressive with indie, it's best to follow suit and one up them. Apple better wise up or they'll be left behind.

It's not just this generation, Sony's always been horrible about concept approval. SCEA famously rejected RPGs at the launch of the PS1, rejected pretty much anything 2D for a fair chunk of the PS2's life, rejected ports from the older systems on the PSP for a while (which cost us Sakura Wars 1&2 and a fixed Suikoden 1&2), rejected visual novels, SCEJ rejected Cave's shumps... I'm sure there's more.

This is indeed fantastic news.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Crazy how much Sony seems to be supporting indies on PS4. I wonder if devs will finally be able to self publish patches? That would be an enormous step forward for console gaming.

JJD

This is fucking great!

I hope MS follows Sony on this. Having less bureaucracy in the submit process is a huge win for consoles.

I just hope they fix their patching guidelines too.

dEvAnGeL

if skyrim passed this quality checks you had in the past sony and it turn out to be crap on your system just imagine the poop we will get with this, quality sony, that's the reason people that follow you have stayed loyal, don't fuck that up

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
It's amazing/funny how Nintendo and Sony are pushing hard for independent developers/publishers.

Crazy how much Sony seems to be supporting indies on PS4. I wonder if devs will finally be able to self publish patches? That would be an enormous step forward for console gaming.

Yoshida is big on indies, I remember him saying how budgets for AAA games were rising too much and games like Walking Dead and journey won the GOTY awards. So he is probably pushing for this. Great move IMO

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I imagine that will still be a requirement, but they'll no longer prevent a game from launching just because of the concept. Like 2D games on the PS2.

Then again they do have those JP PSX imports on the store with no English options.

Wont the bigger publishers still pay for advertising on places like PSN Store?

Also, does this cause a concern for releasing games broken and patching on the fly? Or maybe that's just cynicism? Surely nobody wants to be the next Sim City

The cream will typically rise to the top. As long as Sony implements some sort of user-ranking and "Best Of.." category, the good stuff should dominate over shitty clones and the like. At least I hope. It'd be a shame if it's XBLA all over again and some really good games get utterly buried.

Although that is typically the state of affairs in almost any medium of entertainment.

kadotsu

Banned
Now they only need to make it easy to get a dev kit. Anyways, this is a great move and I hope it will give us some non-indie benefits like more/cheaper localization of niche titles because they don't need to be dubbed anymore.

Top Bottom