• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Think we'll see a PS4 Emulator for PC?

I got to thinking, the biggest reason that it requires massively powerful hardware to emulate old comsoles is because of the difference in CPU architectures making it very difficult to accurately get instruction timings correct.

With PS4 confirmed to be using an x86 architecture, it's "basically a PC". Assuming hackers can crack the discs' encryption, what other roadblocks might stand in the way of ps4 emulation on current gen PCs?

baphomet

Not for at least 10-15 years if ever.

Xbox being just a pc in a box and there's still no functioning emulator.

Xbox was based on PowerPC, no? that still requires emulation. if ps4 is x86 based, literally no emulation required, it can run natively

ascii42

Xbox was based on PowerPC, no? that still requires emulation. if ps4 is x86 based, literally no emulation required, it can run natively

Well, you'll still need at least as many cores as the PS4 has, and any customization could cause some sticking points. The RAM is also an issue, you'll need at least that much RAM at that bandwidth, accessible by both the CPU and GPU (or be able to emulate that).

onQ123

I'm more wondering how long before it gets jail broken and Linux put on it.

PlayStation 4 OS is already based on BSD.

tuxdie.png

Come back in 15 years. X86 architecture doesn't make it inherently easier to emulate, and modern consoles are going to be really difficult for amateurs to emulate.

Swifty

FYI, emulation has appeared to almost hit a brick wall when in comes to shaders. Nvidia and ATI/AMD just don't document all the registers and instrution sets in their GPUs and even 12 years after the release of the Xbox, emulation has been really difficult for that console.

So no, just because something is on x86 doesn't mean it's easy to emulate. In a post fixed function graphics world, emulation is just really elusive and it pains me to say that.

Platy

I doubt there will be any more non portable videogames like the Wii that will be emulated on their lifetime.

I would love to see myself proved wrong since they can work as some kind of cheap option for devkits...

x3sphere

Even if it is feasible from a technical standpoint, the firmware will need to be hacked first before any progress can be made. Everything runs on top of Sony's API even though it is x86, so any firmware modules will need to be reversed engineered.

Considering PS3 took 3-4 years to hack I wouldn't get your hopes up.

z0m3le

Banned
Very few people are actually answering the OP, he is asking what roadblocks beyond disc encryption would exist.

Mainly memory bandwidth, I'm not sure Xbox is a fair comparison since very little interest was ever given to emulating it.

I've never built an emulator, but from my more basic understanding, 360 emulation would probably still be harder. Being 1.6GHz on PS4's 8 cores should make CPU emulating very easy with our current knowledge of PS4's specs. 8 cores is possible today for very cheap on PC, and you could probably even do it with a quad core i7 that has multithreading.

Being able to brute force the CPU should help, the GPU well we don't know enough about it to say that it would be particularly hard, what we do understand of it would make it easy, still until DDR4 comes along with similar bandwidth, I don't think you will see a functional PS4 emulator, however I don't see a reason it would take 10 years.

Dmented

Banned
Wouldn't it be easier and better performing to reverse engineer code and have games run natively on PC? An emulator is just additional resources being used. Not saying it's possible, but that it would be a better route.

z0m3le

Banned
Why is this such a common misconception?

The hardware has very little documentation and a few quirks that make it difficult .

yep, this. After the hardware is figured out correctly enough, an emulator could happen... minimum 4 years till we see a working one, with enough people on it though, 10 seems extreme. Though there could be other parts to the hardware that isn't available for PCs this would make it more difficult. Again either way, you'll need to reach that bandwidth which won't happen until DDR4 catches up to that speed.

I still don't understand why we haven't seen Xbox 1 emulation yet, I mean Microsoft did it on the 360 so it is doable.

The GPU was very poorly documented or something like that, even the original Xbox emulation on the 360 is very poor from what I hear too.

ss_lemonade

Wouldn't it be easier and better performing to reverse engineer code and have games run natively on PC? An emulator is just additional resources being used. Not saying it's possible, but that it would be a better route.
There used to be a project or something that involved converting xbox XBEs to EXE files but the developers behind it still needed to emulate xbox specific functions being used by the games so I guess that's a problem

Platy

Isn't that the case for every console ?

Wich is why Virtual Console has some of the best emulated examples of lots of games ... even for games that have pc emulators for YEARS

edit :
I wonder if the PS4 is powerful enough to emulate a PC running a PS4 emulator.

Reminds me of the "WiiU emulating Wii emulating Cube emulating N64" homebrew post

GaussTek

Yep. Actually, I think there could be a chance for this to happen with the 'XBOX 720', assuming of course that it runs a version of Windows.

For example, the "Taito Type X" arcade games got cracked so people can actually run them on a normal PC using a loader. According to Wikipedia, these arcade boards run a version of Windows XP Embedded SP2.

Of course that beating the game's encryption won't be easy at all.

baphomet

We still don't have 100% correct emulation of SNES last time I checked. And to run the current emulator took a pretty monster machine.

Orayn

Wich is why Virtual Console has some of the best emulated examples of lots of games ... even for games that have pc emulators for YEARS

Well, VC is a bit of a unique case. Nintendo starts with a stock emulator which isn't all that different than the kind most PC emulation enthusiasts use, but they make game-specific fixes to ensure parity. It's a fundamentally different approach from that of a general purpose emulator that behaves exactly like the console for all games, since they don't have to worry about all games.

Reminds me of the "WiiU emulating Wii emulating Cube emulating N64" homebrew post

Haha, that was my post. I said that if you ran Animal Crossing for Gamecube on a Wii U in its Wii mode, you could potentially play NES games in a Gamecube port of an N64 games on a Wii U acting like a Wii acting like a Gamecube.

Does no one read? I wrote a tidbit about how difficult it has been to emulate even just the Xbox.

If you want a more in-depth look at what's taking so long, read this: http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132032

yeah but simpler architectures = simpler to reverse engineer

edit :

Okay now I got the full picture, thanks guys ;)

Orayn

Interesting... I always thought it was lack of interest. I mean most of the original Xbox games were PC ports anyways.

That is another part of it. The motivation is low on top of the technical difficulties, simply because there are precious few Xbox exclusives that aren't available (or superior) on another platform, usually PC.

x3sphere

yep, this. After the hardware is figured out correctly enough, an emulator could happen... minimum 4 years till we see a working one, with enough people on it though, 10 seems extreme. Though there could be other parts to the hardware that isn't available for PCs this would make it more difficult. Again either way, you'll need to reach that bandwidth which won't happen until DDR4 catches up to that speed.

Uh, if the hardware is figured out that still doesn't make an emulator possible. Everything runs on Sony's API, programmers don't build against the same OpenGL and DX libraries they do on PC.

No firmware hack = no emulator. And it took 3-4 years for hackers to dump the PS3 firmware. Given the same timeframe you'd be looking at 4 years just to get things started. Doubt anyone will bother to be honest. We'll see a PS3 emulator before we see a PS4 one.

Platy

Haha, that was my post. I said that if you ran Animal Crossing for Gamecube on a Wii U in its Wii mode, you could potentially play NES games in a Gamecube port of an N64 games on a Wii U acting like a Wii acting like a Gamecube.

Beautiful

Only missing is the Snes

I doubt there will be any more non portable videogames like the Wii that will be emulated on their lifetime.

I would love to see myself proved wrong since they can work as some kind of cheap option for devkits...

Actualy ... nevermind ... the Ouyia and the Steambox will probably be pretty easily emulated since they are basicaly linux and android

...is there like a reverse WINE ?

Actualy ... nevermind ... the Ouyia and the Steambox will probably be pretty easily emulated since they are basicaly linux and android

...is there like a reverse WINE ?

Will they even have the exclusive software that would make anyone put the effort in to write an emulator?

Mashing

Very few people are actually answering the OP, he is asking what roadblocks beyond disc encryption would exist.

Mainly memory bandwidth, I'm not sure Xbox is a fair comparison since very little interest was ever given to emulating it.

I've never built an emulator, but from my more basic understanding, 360 emulation would probably still be harder. Being 1.6GHz on PS4's 8 cores should make CPU emulating very easy with our current knowledge of PS4's specs. 8 cores is possible today for very cheap on PC, and you could probably even do it with a quad core i7 that has multithreading.

Being able to brute force the CPU should help, the GPU well we don't know enough about it to say that it would be particularly hard, what we do understand of it would make it easy, still until DDR4 comes along with similar bandwidth, I don't think you will see a functional PS4 emulator, however I don't see a reason it would take 10 years.

So there's demand for Gamecube/Wii/PS2 emulators but not Xbox? I doubt demand has anything to do with it (it is curious how Nintendo consoles are easier to emulate though).

Grief.exe

Wait, so ZSNES isn't perfect emulation?

I read a great article a little while ago on why its not quite perfect.

We are talking down to 100% correct emulation, right now it is at 95% or so but getting that extra bit requires a lot of horsepower and coding.

Top Bottom