• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Think we'll see a PS4 Emulator for PC?

Platy

So there's demand for Gamecube/Wii/PS2 emulators but not Xbox? I doubt demand has anything to do with it (it is curious how Nintendo consoles are easier to emulate though).

I am probably the only person curious to play Blinx the Cat =(

Swifty

So there's demand for Gamecube/Wii/PS2 emulators but not Xbox? I doubt demand has anything to do with it (it is curious how Nintendo consoles are easier to emulate though).
GameCube, Wii, and PS2 use fixed function graphics pipelines. Xbox uses a programmable graphics pipeline. That severely complicates things.

tokkun

Very few people are actually answering the OP, he is asking what roadblocks beyond disc encryption would exist.

Not in any particular order:

1. (You already mentioned) Memory bandwidth
2. PS4 has a unified memory architecture; PCs don't.
3. PS4 has hardware support for cache coherence between CPU and GPU. PCs don't.
4. PS4 will allow lower-level access to the GPU than will be available to emulators on PC.
5. PS4 will expose architectural details of the GPU to the developer. Even if the emulator had the same direct access, you couldn't exploit it in the same way, because the emulator has to run on PCs with a variety of GPUs.

There are more, but those are the first things that popped into my head.

Top Bottom