• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Issues Apologies Over Inappropriate Comments

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/399581/update-ms-issues-apology-over-orths-inappropriate-always-online-comments/

UPDATE: Microsoft has issued a formal apology for "the inappropriate comments" of Microsoft Studios creative director Adam Orth in relation to his recent 'always-online' Twitter debate.

"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday," said the platform holder in a new statement.
"This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

Original report follows:

Microsoft has distanced itself from controversial comments made by Microsoft Studios creative director Adam Orth regarding the 'always online' Durango rumours.

Orth vehemently defended 'always online' technology in a public debate via Twitter amid ongoing rumours the next Xbox console will require a constant internet connection to function.

Orth said that he didn't "get the drama" over a console requiring an online connection, adding, "Every device now is 'always on'. That's the world we live in. #dealwithit."

Microsoft has said in an official statement to Game Informer, "We are aware of the comments made by an employee on Twitter. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views are not reflective of those of the company. We have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

This comes in the wake of a new report this week which added further weight to the persistent rumour that Microsoft's next generation Xbox will not run any games or apps without a connection to the internet.

Seiru

Banned
I feel kind of bad for the guy, but honestly, how could he not have seen this coming? If you're even remotely some sort of public figure, Twitter isn't for joking around with your buddies anymore.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The hell with your apology. Rethink your always-online strategy and don't go through with that bullshit. Because that's all it is, some bullshit.

rouken

i wonder how the guy is feeling right now. the internet just destroyed his career and people are laughing about it.

I'd say failing to address the content of the tweets that it's as good as confirmed that always on DRM is going ahead.

Welp, no Nextbox purchase for me then.

Forbiden

Wasn't this already mentioned a couple of times in the other mega thread? The entire wording seems oddly familiar, but it seems like this part:

"This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers.

was getting a fair bit of discussion on the other thread.

No real denials of the always online rumour. Just a disowning of Sweet Billy and a stock "we don't comment on rumour and speculation".

I'll never understand statements like this

He deserved it - what an idiot to bring his company and himself into such trouble

jbmJQEeF9tOY7R.png

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

He deserved it - what an idiot to bring his company and himself into such trouble

I think you missed the hidden joke there. :D

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Gaf power really reaching new heights

Is this good or bad? As pro-consumer as GAF is, it also has an agenda to defend it's particular vision of what the games industry should be. For those who prefer games that are criticized on GAF such as Farmville (not saying I do), or for those who look at an always online console with excitement (I do), I'd say that GAF dictating the shape of the industry by imposing it's voice it's a bit of a nightmare. I feel the industry should be shaped by consumers voting with their money, and not by yelling the loudest on the internet.

Seik

Banned

Yep, that's pretty much what I think too.

Karma, be a dick with people and you'll have shit raining on your head, it's only logical to me.

EDIT: Damn, I didn't get the joke either! XD

squicken

haha kind of funny. Don't feel sorry for the dude, though it's kind of strange how poorly he understand the nature of social media, when you figure one of their talking points is going to be "blah blah blah social blah connected blah friends"

Erethian

No real denials of the always online rumour. Just a disowning of Sweet Billy and a stock "we don't comment on rumour and speculation".

Well what more than likely got him into trouble wasn't that he alluded to an always online implementation for Durango, but that he would have completely fucked over the carefully staged reveal plans of the PR and marketing departments. I mean if you were at Microsoft working on how to sell always online to consumers and the media you'd be tearing your hair out after seeing his tweets.

Ploid 3.0

Gaf power really reaching new heights

I hope gaf back off of using it's power to demoralize Insomniac for FUSE. Yeah it's a bad name, yeah the box look stupid, yeah it would have been cooler in Overstrike's style and color. Just leave Insomniac alone ; ; (mascara drip drip)

Ploid 3.0

Well what more than likely got him into trouble wasn't that he alluded to an always online implementation for Durango, but that he would have completely fucked over the carefully staged reveal plans of the PR and marketing departments. I mean if you were at Microsoft working on how to sell always online to consumers and the media you'd be tearing your hair out after seeing his tweets.

I think they won't mention always online required until they are asked about it, after their reveal, in a interview.

Is this good or bad? As pro-consumer as GAF is, it also has an agenda to defend it's particular vision of what the games industry should be. For those who prefer games that are criticized on GAF such as Farmville (not saying I do), or for those who look at an always online console with excitement (I do), I'd say that GAF dictating the shape of the industry by imposing it's voice it's a bit of a nightmare. I feel the industry should be shaped by consumers voting with their money, and not by yelling the loudest on the internet.

GAF power has done nothing here but expose Sweet Billy as Stinking William. I doubt Microsoft are going to change their Durango plans because of this.

Just out of interest, what's exciting about an always online console that isn't exciting about one that doesn't mandate such a connection?

plz

Gaffers spend a ton of money. It dips it's toes in everything from Origin, to Steam sales and Kickstarter. GAF also calls out developers, publishers and "journalists" on the regular. I prefer GAF flexing it's muscle over some marketing suit any day of the week. The entire system is rigged from the top down to the point that we can barely tell the difference between a regular joe or some industry person flinging their product at us. I'll take regular Joe sixpack on GAF any day of the week.

Averon

I think they won't mention always online required until they are asked about it, after their reveal, in a interview.

There's no damn way the media will allow MS to quietly confirm always online after this fiasco. The moment a MS official even hints at confirming always online, it'll be plastered everywhere.

This event has made confirming always online the number one issue for the media going into Durango's official reveal.

Burai

shitonmychest57

That's not what's happened here though. They haven't changed their plans at all, they just shitcanned an employee who used social media to a) all but confirm their secret plan and b) do it in such a way as to piss off a whole ton of potential customers.

With the massive amount of crazy speculation, rumors and talk about the subject, Microsoft needs to address it explicitly. I doubt it will be a talking point during the reveal event (they will talk about Always Connected philosophy, but not if Internet is required). But they will without doubt have a press release detailing what the vision for Always Connected means and what it means for the consumer.

It won't be hidden away until someone asks about details in a interview, Microsoft needs to be upfront about this and take control of the message again.

Top Bottom