• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Issues Apologies Over Inappropriate Comments

This generalization needs to stop.

I want "always online" for updates and game interconnectivity.

I do not want "must always be online JUST to play a game...even single player".

Those are two completely different things.

And the sources are implying that IT IS the DRM. At MS they know perfectly well what the distinction is.

I guess it depends on if they saw this fiasco as people getting upset over the always-online rumor or just over this guy's antics.

Which is why I believe MS will see this event as a good thing. Gets everyone to vent out their frustration months before it's shown, then reveal pretty games, soften the blow so no one will be surprised when it's actually confirmed. There's already a vocal group of "We don't care"-ers. The longer they're silent it's just them letting this blow over.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
No denial = always online DRM is still in. The hate train is still rollin'.

now for that gif I've been using:

pnVSnto.gif

Dysun

Show true remorse by removing your bullshit always online/pay wall policies and you might have a chance for me to be a repeat buyer

shandy706

And the sources are implying that IT IS the DRM. At MS they know perfectly well what the distinction is.

Yeah, I know that.

I was saying people need to quit using "always online" and just leaving it at that.

Perhaps we need a new term. "Permanent Online DRM" or something along those lines.

Most people DO want "always online", but not DRM.

Zeliard

And so GAF produces yet another highly educated McDonald's employee.

Maybe professionals should stay off of twitter. The incidence of people slaying themselves professionally is rising exponentially. It's like douche-bag Darwinism at work.

It's fucking fantastic. Twitter makes for an excellent aggregator of public stupidity conveyed in slices of 140 characters; it amusingly and quite consistently tends to remove any filter many people may have between their brains and their fingers.

People type shit out lazily and send it without even once considering the ramifications of putting something permanent out for the world to see. They seem to think they're sending these tweets into some void where it'll disappear into the ether. They have seemingly no idea that Twitter is a public forum, or if they do, they're clearly confused about the word "public."

It's fairly amazing how often this sort of thing happens, and certainly not just in the gaming industry (many if not most companies have enacted strict rules regarding Twitter usage by employees, though probably not effective enough in many cases, looking at MS). Twitter induces myopia like nothing I've seen, and induces aggressiveness (whether passive or outward) and a propensity to be "edgy," well, like the Internet does.

Twitter is an excellent - almost unbeatable - way to spread succinct nuggets of information to very large numbers of people in a very quick fashion. But for general person-to-person communication, it's a disastrous thing. I've never "read" a Twitter argument that didn't make both sides appear idiotic, regardless of how intelligent and otherwise articulate they may be.

Animator

He destroyed his own carrier, and he was being a douche.

This. I have no sympathy whatsoever. People get fired for much less. You are breaking a ton of NDA's and being a douche on top of that which is more than enough reason to get fired. I would be disappointed if he didn't get fired.

The guy was the boner of the week on twitter. Still doesn't change my position the time around. Will mot support anti-consumerist policies.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
he may have just done everyone a favor by causing this huge stink.

microsoft might actually pull back the reins on their always-online drm garbage.

Revven

This generalization needs to stop.

I want "always online" for updates and game interconnectivity.

I do not want "must always be online JUST to play a game...even single player".

Those are two completely different things.

Then let's coin the latter term, the one involving online to play a single player game, as "online only".

Someone else brought that up as an idea to avoid this kind of confusion.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Don't know why GAF doesn't understand that a no comment is the only answer a publically traded company should make regarding rumors because of potential liability under securities laws

Skunkers

There's no damn way the media will allow MS to quietly confirm always online after this fiasco. The moment a MS official even hints at confirming always online, it'll be plastered everywhere.

This event has made confirming always online the number one issue for the media going into Durango's official reveal.

Yeah I'm afraid they might just be quiet about it until launch.

youtube behind a gold...

=3

To be fair, the market of 2007-08 when i think the netflix deal was signed and the market of 2013-14 where i could get a flash drive with netflix on it are two very different things. If Netflix/YouTube and the like are behind the Gold barrier with the new system I would be VERY shocked.

FordGTGuy

Banned
With as much rage that's be going around the internet regarding the always on issue, I feel like Microsoft would have already shot that rumor down if it weren't true. They could be reconsidering it now after seeing the negative reactions of so many, however. This apology means shit to me; all I wanna hear is whether the system requires a constant internet connection or not.

How much do we have to say this?

Microsoft is neither going to confirm or deny a rumor on a product they have yet to announce.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Sorry if I'm late but would Microsoft not even acknowledging what Orth said in a chance to even smack it down just a little bit kind of confirms it? They didn't even have to acknowledge Durango! All they had to say was, "Microsoft doesn't believe that limiting users to online only for their console experiences would be beneficial in the long run. We'll continue to support our Xbox 360 users and give them more blah blah blah. etc." Not hard at all.

They can simply spew the standard "Sorry, we don't comment on rumors and speculation" line that has stood the test of time.

Generally, they HAVE to do that. And it's not just PR speak. When you're a public company, there are laws about making material misrepresentations of facts that could be of use to investors. If they don't plan on revealing this fact now, they need to use the no comment technique. If they just remain silent, and they usually deny something, then this is essentially confirming it, which could get them in trouble if it's not true. Basically, the no comment speech is a catch-all cya for securities violations.

pswii60

Generally, they HAVE to do that. And it's not just PR speak. When you're a public company, there are laws about making material misrepresentations of facts that could be of use to investors. If they don't plan on revealing this fact now, they need to use the no comment technique. If they just remain silent, and they usually deny something, then this is essentially confirming it, which could get them in trouble if it's not true. Basically, the no comment speech is a catch-all cya for securities violations.

This.

They can't deny or confirm anything about an unannounced product. For starters, these are things that can affect share prices and stockholders, third party partners, everything. At this stage of course all they can say is that they can't confirm anything about their product roadmap.

Chris FOM

Then pull an Apple. Whenever the rumor mill really gets out of hand they have "highly placed sources" quietly leak more realistic but still reasonably vague information to the Wall Street Journal to pull things back in. There are plenty of ways to control the flow of information beyond official PR statements. MS' silence in this case is deafening.

border

And why can they simply not say "We do not support mandatory online connections for our home entertainment platforms"?? There's no need to acknowledge or reveal Durango at all. Just say this isn't what you're interested in, and it isn't something you might approve of in a hypothetical future.

Deuterium

Indeed and that's exactly what they've done. The problem is that it's lost all meaning so whenever it's used, people naturally assume the rumour is true and not without reason as history has shown that whenever that comment is made, the turns out to be 99 times in 100.

Hi Miles,

No offense, my friend, but did you just pull that number out of your arse...or do you have actual data and sources to support this position?pote

There is a very real potential, here, for selection bias. We tend to always remember events that reinforce our preconceived beliefs or biases...and completely disregard all the other times when events do not unfold in synch with our internal narrative.

mavs

What other services charged you for P2P?

XBAND and SegaNet probably, though I'm not sure if those were really P2P in the way Live is. I think Xfire and Gameranger had paid versions, but of course they also had free ones.

Talamius

XBAND and SegaNet probably, though I'm not sure if those were really P2P in the way Live is. I think Xfire and Gameranger had paid versions, but of course they also had free ones.

Wasn't TEN kind of a mix? I know Nascar 2 on it would spawn servers, but you could play Duke3D and a bunch of other stuff through it too.

Hi Miles,

No offense, my friend, but did you just pull that number out of your arse...or do you have actual data and sources to support this position?

Indeed I did. It was used for effect than something based on data. Perhaps I should have clarified that in my post. Apologies if it misled.

And why can they simply not say "We do not support mandatory online connections for our home entertainment platforms"?? There's no need to acknowledge or reveal Durango at all. Just say this isn't what you're interested in, and it isn't something you might approve of in a hypothetical future.

Because they DO support mandatory online connections, and denying it would be a material misrepresentation and a 10(b)(5) violation. So it's better to say no comment than to lie, so they don't get in real trouble (better enrage fans than enrage the government).

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Because they DO support mandatory online connections, and denying it would be a material misrepresentation and a 10(b)(5) violation. So it's better to say no comment than to lie, so they don't get in real trouble (better enrage fans than enrage the government).

Or because the less statements that are out there the less they have to worry about - the risk reward just isn't there for saying anything at this point. Most publicly traded companies have strict no comment policies on rumors with no deviations.

JaggedSac

Never heard of Xbox Live Gold? The first time a company charges you to use your own internet for P2P gaming

Technically, it is up to devs to decide how to implement multiplayer in their games. MS just provides an infrastructure for helping with matchmaking, trueskill, and such. Live Gold is required regardless of dev implemented MP solutions, p2p or dedicated.

Or because the less statements that are out there the less they have to worry about - the risk reward just isn't there for saying anything at this point. Most publicly traded companies have strict no comment policies on rumors with no deviations.

This to. Most people here don't realize that there is more at stake than games and stuff. Beyond the product, there is a whole world of corporate governance issues to deal with that most GAFfers don't think about.

Top Bottom