• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 dev had to 'play catch-up' to PC graphics

Evolution Studios has admitted that working on PS3 for so long meant that it wasn't exposed to the developments in graphics technology for PCs, meaning it had to play catch-up when moving onto PlayStation 4.

Asked by Edge magazine about the PS4's specification, Evolution technical director Scott Kirkland said:

"With it being a very contemporary GPU core, [there's] a whole bunch of new graphics features probably familiar to PC developers, but we've spent a lot of time in PS3 land, so we had to play catch-up on some of those great things like texture varieties, hardware instancing, volume textures, tessellation, texture compression.

"They're all really cool features that we're leveraging in all sorts of interesting ways."

Kirkland is also pretty pleased with what else the PS4 has to offer.

"The CPU part of things, having that asymmetrical architecture, that made it really easy for us to gain great performance from the outset," he explained.

"The Play-Go initiative, which Mark Cerny [PS4 lead architect] spoke about, those are discussions we've been heavily involved in. Combined with the Blu-ray disc for physical delivery, the hard drive is going to allow us to deliver awesome experiences to players in a fraction of the load times and download times that players experienced on PS3 and [360]. So we're really excited about that. We think it'll be a real differentiator."

Evolution Studios is currently working on Driveclub, which is expected to launch alongside the PS4.

Edge issue 253 via videogamer

Radec

And there's a limit to where they can catch up.

Still, first party devs will blow us away with this.

Yea, perfectly understandable.

With games looking like GOW: Ascension, Killzone, Beyond: Two Souls, Uncharted 2/3,etc on ancient PS3 hardware, I'm fucking terrified of what they can do on the PS4. hnnnnnnnnnnng

Mokubba

So it's like the devs have been let out of their cages. Looking forward to what they can do on the PS4

Also what's the verdict on the CPU. Last I heard people weren't too impressed with it and there was some rumor saying the speed will be bumped up to 2.0Ghz.

Scott seems to like it but obviously he's not going to say something bad.

hodgy100

So it's like the devs have been let out of their cages. Looking forward to what they can do on the PS4

Also what's the verdict on the CPU. Last I heard people weren't too impressed with it and there was some rumor saying the speed will be bumped up to 2.0Ghz.

Scott seems to like it but obviously he's not going to say something bad.

Its better for general purpose code than the cell was, but being jaguar it likely isnt as big of a jump that people were expecting. and the fancy stuff that used to be done on the cell will likely be offloaded to the GPU now

Vashetti

Banned
In other words - Yes, the current gen lasted too long.

image.php

Sounds about right, this is what I told another GAFFER who was expecting launch PS4 games to blow away PC games. I told him, Crytek has released THREE games running on Cry Engine 3, and it will take devs some time to catch up to them. But of course he didn't listen to me...I think he got banned, haven't seen him around.

In other words, more devs should put their games on the PC.

Capcom knew what they were doing; http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...technology-drawn-from-the-PC-technology/News/

2)Regarding the different release dates for the console and PC version of Lost Planet 2 -Xbox 360 and PS3 have already been released - we assume that you develop the console and PC version separately to fully take advantage of the technical possibilities of the PC as a platform has to offer? Is that correct or do you at the moment simply port the console version to the PC?

Jun Takeuchi, Lost Planet 2 Producer: All Capcom PC titles that utilises MT Framework of course get optimised for the PC platform. For instance LP1 was compatible with DX10 and RE5 was 3D Vision compatible. This time with LP2, we have adapted to the new DX11. We are not just developing a platform but strategically nurturing the MT framework. In terms of pure sales, perhaps PC markets will not be the main priority and several analysts predict this. However, most of technological innovations happen on the PC platform and we are certain the ‘next gen' console will have much of its technology drawn from the PC technology. This is why we will not stop investing in the PC platform. We don't want to develop games in the dark, isolated, but challenging innovations must be tested in the market and only then we can measure the importance of a new element.

^ September 2010.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I expected this from Sony's first party. It'll be awesome to see what they can do once they readjust to a more standard development environment. It shouldn't take long either.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The Play-Go initiative, which Mark Cerny [PS4 lead architect] spoke about, those are discussions we've been heavily involved in. Combined with the Blu-ray disc for physical delivery, the hard drive is going to allow us to deliver awesome experiences to players in a fraction of the load times and download times that players experienced on PS3 and [360]. So we're really excited about that. We think it'll be a real differentiator.

More evidence that there will be mandatory installs, a fast hard drive, and blu rays will just be a delivery system for high amounts of data.

Zarx

wait asymmetrical CPU architecture? Shouldn't that be symmetrical as all the cores are the same unlike the CELL?

Let's hope the PS4 gets a different installer. Downloading and installing Demon's Souls the other day was a 3 hour endeavor :(. Would have been 30-40 minutes through steam.

nekomix

Now, I hope some understand what Nintendo developers have to catch up... And why they struggle in their transition :-(

More evidence that there will be mandatory installs, a fast hard drive, and blu rays will just be a delivery system for high amounts of data.

The end of plug-and-play... I haven't finished my funerals of plug-and-play yet :-(

Now, I hope some understand what Nintendo developers have to catch up... And why they struggle in their transition :-(

The end of plug-and-play... I haven't finished my funerals of plug-and-play yet :-(

You meant the end of long horrible and frequent loading times, I'm already dancing on the grave of 'plug and play' welcome to the 90s console gamers, you'll learn to love it.

nekomix

You meant the end of long horrible and frequent loading times, I'm already dancing on the grave of 'plug and play' welcome to the 90s console gamers, you'll learn to love it.

I thought there was still room for improvements... I thought 8 GB GDDR5 would improve loading times from disc... I mean, for installing and taking care of disk space, I've got my PC for that ! Oh wait... Yeah, I thought plug and play was the way to go :-(

There's something about there being intricate texturing of interior fabrics that tell me it'll lean in the sim direction.

The trailers they've shown so far look quite appealing to me, and I like the social aspect of the game; how it revolves around forming 'clubs' with your buddies and challenging others to races and shit like that. But if it's a sim racer then I'm not too overly keen.

it's like PGR

It's basically the new PGR.

I just hope it's 60FPS. I love the "challenges" concept.

Edit:
Beaten like a red headed step child.

I confess to not knowing a damn thing about PGR; never played it.

Top Bottom