• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 dev had to 'play catch-up' to PC graphics

I thought there was still room for improvements... I thought 8 GB GDDR5 would improve loading times from disc... I mean, for installing and taking care of disk space, I've got my PC for that ! Oh wait... Yeah, I thought plug and play was the way to go :-(

Being able to turn on the console, pick a game and be in the game PLAYING (not looking at splash screens and loading screens) within 15 seconds is more plug and play than staring at 2-3 mins of loading screens and mandatory load time hiding cutscenes every single time till the end of time.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This is the second time I've heard a developer reference hard drive speeds as an advantage. SSDs are off the table, so what else is there?

The trailers they've shown so far look quite appealing to me, and I like the social aspect of the game; how it revolves around forming 'clubs' with your buddies and challenging others to races and shit like that. But if it's a sim racer then I'm not too overly keen.

I confess to not knowing a damn thing about PGR; never played it.

The trailer gives the impression of a simulation based experience but Evolution has only made arcade racers. I'm thinking they have a lot of details in graphics but I don't think you're going to be adjusting tire pressure, engine compression, ect.. The focus is around the "challenges" so I'm inclined to believe it's more arcade than what most people think.

And PGR is basically a hybrid between sim and arcade racers. It has some realistic physics and mechanics, but nowhere near what you would find in GT or any of the PC racing sims.

Chittagong

Gold Member
If Evolution needs to catch up to modern graphics technologies, imagine what Nintendo must feel like. It's a miracle they are putting out Wii U games at all... oh wait

DesertFox

Microsoft is making a huge mistake allowing Sony to occupy 100% of the next-gen mindshare. It's great hearing all this news about Sony's next platform, and it makes me excited for next gen. Then there's the deafening silience from MS's corner....

If Evolution needs to catch up to modern graphics technologies, imagine what Nintendo must feel like. It's a miracle they are putting out Wii U games at all... oh wait

ahha, nice one!! Things will only get worse for Nintendo, they are catching up with DX9 tech now. Next time they will be catching up to DX11 tech....

This is the second time I've heard a developer reference hard drive speeds as an advantage. SSDs are off the table, so what else is there?

100+ MB/s beats 27MB/s by a big mile.
thinking about a 7200 rpm hdd.

SSD dont even have to compare.

Microsoft is making a huge mistake allowing Sony to occupy 100% of the next-gen mindshare. It's great hearing all this news about Sony's next platform, and it makes me excited for next gen. Then there's the deafening silience from MS's corner....

Dont know but if microsoft gives a good reveal, social media will take care of the rest.

The trailer gives the impression of a simulation based experience but Evolution has only made arcade racers. I'm thinking they have a lot of details in graphics but I don't think you're going to be adjusting tire pressure, engine compression, ect.. The focus is around the "challenges" so I'm inclined to believe it's more arcade than what most people think.

And PGR is basically a hybrid between sim and arcade racers. It has some realistic physics and mechanics, but nowhere near what you would find in GT or any of the PC racing sims.

Thanks a lot, that's reassuring stuff. That's pretty much the impression I got watching the footage, but I wasn't sure. I feel like I can get suitably hyped for the game now.

That's cruel man.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I thought there was still room for improvements... I thought 8 GB GDDR5 would improve loading times from disc... I mean, for installing and taking care of disk space, I've got my PC for that ! Oh wait... Yeah, I thought plug and play was the way to go :-(

The load times would actually be longer from disk since there's 16 times as much RAM and only a 3 times as fast drive. If the installs work like they do for downloadable titles, you'll be able to start playing after a very brief initial install and the rest will be installed in the background while you play. It'll be a pretty seamless process if they can pull it off and it would mean the end of long load times. It's a huge step forward.

LTWheels

Does this mean that Japanese developers that have been ignoring the PC this generation will still be playing catch up (from a worse position?) to western developers next gen?

nekomix

The load times would actually be longer from disk since there's 16 times as much RAM and only a 3 times as fast drive. If the installs work like they do for downloadable titles, you'll be able to start playing after a very brief initial install and the rest will be installed in the background while you play. It'll be a pretty seamless process if they can pull it off and it would mean the end of long load times. It's a huge step forward.

Yeah, that's what they promised. I hope they deliver :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Jaggies will still be there, most games will use deferred lighting, so that rules out MSAA for PS4. We probably see FXAA a lot IMO.

I'm hoping for SMAA instead of FXAA. It has better coverage, has the same low power cost, and isn't as blurry. Sony devs could also make their own customized type of it like they did with MLAA for the PS3 since it uses the same principles as MLAA.

Endo Punk

Mindshare means nothing in the long run.

Does this mean that Japanese developers that have been ignoring the PC this generation will still be playing catch up (from a worse position?) to western developers next gen?

Outside of Konami and Capcom... I've given up hope for a resurgence of Japanese games for next gen.

I'm hoping for SMAA instead of FXAA. It has better coverage, has the same low power cost, and isn't as blurry. Sony devs could also make their own customized type of it like they did with MLAA for the PS3 since it uses the same principles as MLAA.

SMAA wasn't that used in Crysis 3? I personally like the blurry look of FXAA, it hides the jaggies really well while giving the games a cool soft look (Crysis 2)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
SMAA wasn't that used in Crysis 3? I personally like the blurry look of FXAA, it hides the jaggies really well while giving the games a cool soft look (Crysis 2)

A modified version of it that was combined with temporal AA (T2x)was used in Crysis 3 on consoles. All of the various SMAA settings are available in Crysis 3 on PC. FXAA wasn't used in Crysis 2, it used a version of temporal AA which cleaned up edges better than FXAA but also caused some distracting ghosting.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I'm pretty sure the higher-quality/better coverage variants of SMAA end up having a similar performance cost to MSAA anyways.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
100+ MB/s beats 27MB/s by a big mile.
thinking about a 7200 rpm hdd.

SSD dont even have to compare.

Dont know but if microsoft gives a good reveal, social media will take care of the rest.
But 7200 is hardly worth the mention these days.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm pretty sure the higher-quality/better coverage variants of SMAA end up having a similar performance cost to MSAA anyways.

SMAA 2x and 4x actually use MSAA and SMAA together. The base level SMAA is the same as FXAA. T2x is between SMAA/FXAA and SMAA 2x/2x MSAA in terms of cost.

Nintendo is screwed. People could accept the low-res Wii generation because of the new hip controls. However it seems gamers are fed up with another sub HD console.

Man I REALLY hope Evolution is sharing car/track models and textures with Polyphony Digital. Their car models were absolutely fantastic and it would save both the companies time and money. This is Sony we're talking about, so it might not make sense for them to try to save money.

But 7200 is hardly worth the mention these days.

But streaming things from hdd to ram 5 times faster is worth mentioning coming off from ps3 and 360. You can use the hdd as a buffer for like some time maybe 40~60 sec start playing the game and do a background install or download kinda like diablo 3.

40s * 27mb/s is good for 1GB of game data should be enough to atleast play 1 or 2 levels while installing further in the background. Hell if you force a player through a 2min CG cutscene you can probably just put in the disk and start directly instead of buffering some data first.

Nintendo is stuck in the SD to HD graphics phase (aka years behind) because they said fuck tech advancements last gen in exchange for the motion controls gimmick. They are royally screwed once the last remaining games on old engines are done and released and everything is put on new, cutting edge engines for much higher hardware. The Wii success seriously seems like it was a deal with the Devil, now he's fucking collecting.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's being made by the PGR team. And it's not a full simulation experience. It's PGR with a new name.

It's not the PGR team, they do have a handful of guys from the original PGR developers, Bizarre Creations, including the lead designer if I recall correctly.

The PGR team is no more, they fragmented along dozens of different development houses.

i-Lo

All this praise and hyperbole lately, PS4 = greatest gaming machine to ever exist. To EVER exist.

Word of advice: Learn to use words to which you know the meaning of, whether it fits the context and if sarcasm is warranted.

That's all I was saying. In a case where FXAA would be used, I'd prefer SMAA.

FXAA will be the go-to solution if all other aspects leave little room for a more resource intensive AA.

p3tran

Banned
It's not the PGR team, they do have a handful of guys from the original PGR developers, Bizarre Creations, including the lead designer if I recall correctly.

The PGR team is no more, they fragmented along dozens of different development houses.

seems like mr. g.Talbot was the lead designer on blur, pgr4, pgr3, while participated in pgr2, pgr and even metropolis racer.
good enough for me 8)
kudos sony-evolution! just listen to that man!

other than the sony presentation, is there other footage of the game?

A modified version of it that was combined with temporal AA (T2x)was used in Crysis 3 on consoles. All of the various SMAA settings are available in Crysis 3 on PC. FXAA wasn't used in Crysis 2, it used a version of temporal AA which cleaned up edges better than FXAA but also caused some distracting ghosting.

FXAA was only used for MGPU mode in crysis 2. (SLI, crossfire.)

Other than that it was a compilation of TAA and a jitter filtering AA solution thing for distant objects.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Platinum is going to be fucked. Square Japan too.

yurinka

Judging by their trailer, it hasn't been a great issue. It looks really well, and I assume that the final game will look even better.

Top Bottom