• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Planes games announced for Nintendo systems (Wii/DS/WiiU/3DS)

Looks all right. I'll take any kind of Pilotwings style game I can get.

Attention all gamers! Prepare to take to the skies with Disney Interactive’s “Disney’s Planes” video game, releasing on August 6. The game expands the story of the film (which opens August 9), and lets players roll, turn and loop their way through airborne adventures.

Join Dusty and friends as they perfect their flight skills and embark on global missions, air races. and grand adventures around the world.

The “Disney’s Planes” video will be available exclusively for Nintendo platforms, including the Wii™ and Wii U™ systems as well as the Nintendo 3DS™and Nintendo DS™ handheld devices.

Dusty1_Propwash_header.jpg

Echo-Action-5_Iceland-550.jpg

2Bulldog-Action12_Iceland-550.jpg

Source: Disney Insider blog

More info:
In “Disney’s Planes” video game, players travel through breathtaking environments and play as one of 10 cast of characters on console and one of 6 cast of characters on handheld in either single-player, on all platforms or race against one another in two-player drop-in and drop-out gameplay on console. Players will roll, turn and loop their way through mission-based objectives in exciting modes of play including a narrative-based Story mode and a score-based mini-game that challenges the players’ precision flying skills called Balloon Pop. The exploratory Free Flight mode and racing-based Air Rallies mode are exclusive to the consoles and the objective-achieving Challenge mode is only offered via the handheld platforms.
Source: Bloomberg

Is this like a semi-flight simulator? Or are we talking about Mario Kart with airplanes?
I'm under the impression it's a flight sim of sorts.'

Edit: here's more info

In “Disney’s Planes” video game, players travel through breathtaking environments and play as one of 10 cast of characters on console and one of 6 cast of characters on handheld in either single-player, on all platforms or race against one another in two-player drop-in and drop-out gameplay on console. Players will roll, turn and loop their way through mission-based objectives in exciting modes of play including a narrative-based Story mode and a score-based mini-game that challenges the players’ precision flying skills called Balloon Pop. The exploratory Free Flight mode and racing-based Air Rallies mode are exclusive to the consoles and the objective-achieving Challenge mode is only offered via the handheld platforms.
Source: Bloomberg

No free flight on handhelds? That sucks.

Effect

Curious as to why they didn't make this apart of Disney Infinity. I thought that was the point behind it so the didn't need to make individual games but instead various packs for the Infinity devices.

Edit:

If the movie is a hit this could do well with kids and hopefully move some hardware. How has Disney's lastest outings been when it movie tie-in games?

Curious as to why they didn't make this apart of Disney Infinity. I thought that was the point behind it so the didn't need to make individual games but instead various packs for the Infinity devices.

Perhaps this was in development for a while now, long enough that it'd be a headache to port it into the Infinity system?

Meelow

Banned
This day goes with what Nintendo said back at E3 2011, the Wii U is for U

Since Splinter Cell Black List got confirmed for Wii U today (core title) and Disney Planes got confirmed for Wii U today (family friendly title).

I'm wondering who's developing this. I said in the other thread that my bets are on Heavy Iron.
I'd like to know so I can pester them about free flight mode on handhelds. Between this game and the gimped 'free flight' of Pilotwings Resort I think there must be a conspiracy going on.

Tarsul

if it's as good as Wing Island I'll buy it some day. And yes, by industry standards Wing Island was not good. However, it was fun. Make of it what you will.

And so Finding Dory was announced!

It's bound to get a game, please get TT Games on it. :( Finding Nemo was their last Pixar game all those years ago, and it was fun and had GREAT music!

And hilariously bad voice acting. :p

Effect

Yep made by Toon Disney as well, and literally was going to be a straight to DVD movie, before the response was so positive and is now appearing in cinema's allegedly.

Hmm. This worries me a little. There is a difference between the films made for the big screen and those made for dvd. The quality of animation, directing of scenes, sound quality, music, etc. This could backfire on Disney. Though hopefully once they saw the positive response they went back and properly altered it for the big screen and didn't just decide to take the film as is and put it in theaters.

Brinbe

Yeah, this'll tamp down the march to kiddie konsole status

And as an aside, this is literally the first I've read/heard about this Planes property, and I'll be damned, if it isn't just the fucking worst. Until we get to Trains, Boats and whatever else Disney expands on.

It's funny looking back at Wet and Naughty Bear by the same folks, they look terrible for ground-up HD games, Planes probably looks as good as it'll get from them. Their games are basically Wii level anyway, how ironic.

That said, at least the shot with the sunny sky, it looks nice.

3DS screens actually look pretty good. Again, shame about the free flight. Every flight sim (even non serious ones) should have a free flight mode.

Hopefully during some of the missions there's no time limit and you can screw around and ignore the objectives if you want.

Mesoian

Shovelware. And it will sell out the nose. It's unfortunate that this is going to be Disney's montra regarding games.

At least that Disney Universe Skylanders thing looks interesting, if non-offensive.

Top Bottom