• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends has 30 new levels + several new bosses after delay

TimmiT

Rayman Legends delay: 'I wasn't shocked by the backlash,' says Michel Ancel
"It was really hard for us"

Posted by Thomas East on 10th Apr 2013 at 11:03

Michel Ancel has told ONM that fans' reaction to the Rayman Legends delay didn't surprise him.

In an exclusive interview that appears in the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine, Ancel told us what it was like for the Montpellier studio when Ubisoft took the decision to delay his team's new platformer in order to release it at the same time as Xbox 360 and PS3 versions.

Rayman Legends was meant to be released in February 2013 but fans slammed the decision to delay it until September, with some even protesting outside Ubisoft Montpellier's office. However, Ancel wasn't shocked by the fans' fury.

"No, I wasn't shocked, but it was really hard for us. Of course, there are more important issues and problems in the world but we worked really hard to make something and were so involved, it was difficult for us and the fans."

However Ancel, together with Senior Game Manager Michael Micholic, have used the extra time to create new content for the game. The result is 30 extra levels and some new boss battles.

Micholic said: "Trust me, the things we are adding aren't minor. We're not talking about adding some polish here and there, but 30 new levels and several new bosses."

You can read the full interview with Michel Ancel and Michael Micholic in the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine which is out now. You can buy it here.
http://www.officialnintendomagazine...nt-shocked-by-the-backlash-says-michel-ancel/

Seems like the delay might be for the better after all.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They had to add more levels that aren't controlled with the Wii U Pad. Watch them be exclusive to the PS360 version and DLC on Wii U. JUST BECAUSE.

stuminus3

So he's saying the game is unpolished?

But to be serious, it must have been really tough on the dude and the people he works with to have to have gone through this.

1-D_FTW

If PC gets included, hope they don't change anything about the engine. The 3D in Rayman Origins was awesome. The water levels in 3D, with that soundtrack, was truly an experience.

DatDude

Banned
Rayman Origins was such a marvel. I have high hopes for this one as well.

Though, for the love of god! No more of that stupid "ride on the back of the misquoto levels" thing anymore!!!

I do love additional content, so I am glad they are using this time wisely. It still doesn't mean that I am pleased about the initial delay, however.

nasos_333

So we get a much better and beefier game

I can definitly wait for something like that, plus i can now play it on a system i already own like xbox 360 or PS3, which is a HUGE plus

pvpness

The delay sucked, but at least they've been using the time. Looking forward to it.

I still don't understand why people would boycott a game they were looking forward to simply because of a delay.

NotLiquid

I would have hoped that'd be the case. After the challenge mode video and the RT input already being visible showing the 360 version running I sincerely doubt that it'd take them seven months to port it to all other platforms.

But in all honesty even if the game were released now I don't think this kind of knowledge is one that is ever consciously "known" of once the final game releases. I'll be honest and say that Rayman Origins felt kind of padded in the later half of the game. I assume all of those levels that pop up during the worlds you have to go to in order to beat the bosses are ones they made after it was decided to expand the game into a retail one, and I sincerely hope that Rayman Legends isn't set up the same way. The platforming and levels were good but using arbitrary plot conveniences without context kind of makes it a bit of a drag.

Dude, next time just say these things are planned before people go crazy with the backlash.
They weren't planned, that's the issue. The team used the extra time to do this additional work, but the delay was never for this, it was to get the ps3/360 versions out at the same time as wiiu...

Effect

Sounds nice. It really does but my money is still going elsewhere. They had their shot with me in regard to this game.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Well, I guess I can forgive you this time Ubisoft.

Just.... don't do that "months delay coming out of nowhere with no good reason 2 weeks before release" bullshit ever again.

Excellent news...still sucks about the delay but at least they used the extra time to do more.

Now watch Ubisoft push it back more.

Morts

That sounds like a whole lot. How many levels did Origins have? I hope they aren't just talking about variations of existing levels for challenge mode or something.

Then again, I'm sure the game was meaty to begin with, so whatever they were able to add is cool.

There were 66 levels in Origins, just to get an idea. And not tiny little trial-and-error shit like Super Meat Boy, either. It was a pretty meaty platformer.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Hopefully none of those 30 levels are the terrible touch screen Murphy ones. Perhaps theyre upping the numbers of traditional ones to make up for the "loss" of those ones in the PS3/360 version.

If the bosses are anything like Origins then I can't say i'm at all excited by that part of this news, otherwise 30 levels sounds good, almost too good.

Using my astounding deductive powers i'm thinking new levels and new bosses mean they made some new worlds, though i'm expecting that these new locations are likely to be other versions of the already existing world styles like how in the back end of Origins had you visit variations of the first four worlds.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Important question is: Did they replace the levels that only worked on Wii U (which should be a lot) or did they add these new levels to make the game worth it on PS360, while keeping the old levels as Wii U exclusives? Latter option I would be ok with.

Morts

It was justified. The Wii U version was done.

Poor Wii U. I was set on that version. But, given the choice. No way I get the Wii U version over PC/PS3.

PC I understand, but why do you assume the PS3 version will be better than the Wii U one? Just curious.

Eusis

Salz01

I still won't buy this game on the Wii U, till after it hits 20 bucks. Because its still BS. They could have released on time with WiiU, sold the expanded edition on ps360 in Sept. and charged a dlc content for the wiiu owners that didnt have it. So yea, I probably would have paid more money overall. But how they handled it, still irks me.

I still won't buy this game on the Wii U, till after it hits 20 bucks. Because its still BS. They could have released on time with WiiU, sold the expanded edition on ps360 in Sept. and charged a dlc content for the wiiu owners that didnt have it. So yea, I probably would have paid more money overall. But how they handled it, still irks me.

Agreed. I'm just not going to support a company that would make such a crap decision. I was really looking forward to this game but Ubisoft isn't getting any more of my money.

Maybe I'll buy it used...and then resell it to screw them out of another sale.

Top Bottom