• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U update live. Nintendo loves us again.

serplux

For new thread lol:

Wii U System Update Details

Version 3.0.0 U
Released: April 25, 2013

New Features:
  • A standby function to download and install software while the system is powered off
  • Software purchased from the Nintendo eShop will automatically install in the background once the download is complete
  • Holding down the B Button while the Wii U logo is displayed during startup will load the Wii Menu*¹
  • The Wii U will continue downloading and installing software even if the system is turned off.
  • Disc drive no longer spins when playing downloaded games/applications.
Changes to System Settings
  • An option to transfer and/or copy between two USB storage devices in "Data Management"
  • The ability to select multiple software titles when transferring, copying, or deleting data in "Data Management"
  • The option to adjust screen size is now available under "TV"*²
  • "Auto Power-Down" has been renamed "Power Settings"
*1 User selection may be necessary.
*2 A similar option has been removed from Nintendo eShop, Miiverse, and the Internet Browser

Changes to Miiverse:
  • Added support for the Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller, and Classic Controller
  • Handwritten posts will now also display on the TV screen during creation
  • "Undo" and "Redo" buttons are now available when creating a handwritten post
  • Removed screen size setting. This option can now be adjusted from System Settings
Changes to Nintendo eShop:
  • Software downloaded from the Nintendo eShop will include released updates and will no longer need to be updated after installation
  • Removed screen size setting. This option can now be adjusted from System Settings
Changes to the Internet Browser:
  • Added support for the Wii Remote and Wii U Pro Controller
  • Added the option to change search engines when performing a keyword search
  • Added the option to return to the start page from the bookmark menu
Changes to Download Management:
  • Added the option to change the priority of downloads
Random Bits
  • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.
  • The Wii U Virtual Console will be added the day after the update.

Oxirane

How long does the update have to take before it wipes out the total time savings gained by reducing the time to exit out of apps back to the home menu?

How long does the update have to take before it wipes out the total time savings gained by reducing the time to exit out of apps back to the home menu?

Depends entirely upon how many times you plan to load in and out of apps. In order to ensure you get your money's worth I recommend dropping in and out of the home screen for a couple hours this evening.

How big (size) is this update? It's taking a long time to dl

673MB according to the first page.

kinggroin

Banned
So its better. A more polished turd I guess.

They need to scrap it entirely and run the OS and its apps the way a smartphone does. This shit should be instant. Oh, and the internet connection should persist from app to app.

(pasted from the other thread)

No 60hz support for Wii mode when using component cables.

No option for analogue audio when using HDMI for picture.

So I'm stuck with the choice of playing Wii games in 576i or having no sound for my Wii U. I know my TV is crappy and old for having a dvi port instead of real hdmi, but the PS3 and 360 can do this, Nintendo.

Otherwise I'm impressed with how quickly software launches and exits. Screen adjust at a console level is nice and the whole process was painless and quick. Well done, Nintendo, but I'd still like one of the two issues mentioned at the top of this post to be addressed.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Exiting the settings menu still seems like it takes forever. And adjusting the screen size in the OS, the arrows don't seem to line up with the edges on my tv (slightly cut off).But I guess it's good for those who don't have the option on their TV.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hear that, Sony?

Does MSFT do that as well because that is a nice thing to have when you re-DL things.

The main issue is the games that tie updates with DLC. Some don't like to DL redundant data (Dungeon Defenders I'm looking at you).

Thoraxes

So wait, the screen size setting being system-wide...

Does this fix the overscan for people with cheap big TVs like me?

exiting eshop games is quicker than games on disc. Seems like only 4 seconds.

If the summer updates improves the speed even more, I cant see any complaints.

hatchx

Banned
I messed around with it post-update. Still feels slow. Not sure why it still takes so long to load up notifications and the settings.

Ugh, I hope the summer update actually changes things. It needs to be a LOT faster.

Tilmen

Banned
i quate myself XD:

here are my changes things from the WiiU update ^^

here my Update video with all deteils...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p55t97ES2kg

and these pics i made

button_zps9cf91525.jpg

before_zps632add4d.jpg

Background downloading and installing are nice, but if there are any speed improvements in the menus, I can barely notice them. It's still embarrassingly slow. Opening the settings menu is ridiculous.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Background downloading and installing are nice, but if there are any speed improvements in the menus, I can barely notice them. It's still embarrassingly slow. Opening the settings menu is ridiculous.

What were the settings that some described earlier like browsing, .5 seconds?

I hope there's a noticeable improvement because I have to go and update my father in laws system tomorrow.

WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET THIS UPDATE TO WORK?!

Seriously this is the 2nd time I've tried to install it, system locks up at the exact same spot -.-

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

Yep, I guess this is primarily a game thing. Better than nothing I guess.

Revven

Wii Mode Homebrew Channel untouched :)

This is a no brainer. Nintendo would have to push a Wii update in order to change that and they're clearly not going to. They've stopped updating the Wii for quite some time. Unless they've made it possible for the Wii U to communicate with the Wii Mode with updates... but I've yet to see anything in their updates that suggest they can change the Wii Mode in any significant capacity.

Top Bottom