• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U update live. Nintendo loves us again.

Thoraxes

I wonder about the limited RGB thing (I think that's what it was called) that Eurogamer mentioned at launch... if that changed or not.

I can't notice it cause I usually have the color high on my TV, but for those kinds of analysis it would be nice.

If there's an error or shut off usually it'll recover from where you left off.

I was hoping it would. It started off like it was doing the whole thing over, then it progressed to the halfway point rather quickly, but now it has been stuck at "28 minutes" for several minutes.

I'm going to bed soon so I don't mind the time so much, just hope it updates smoothly like others. I've been fortunate that I have not had the hard locks that others have described since launch.

Alex

Is this guy kidding?

Well, its faster, but its not really blazing or anything. I guess it just depends what you expect. Its far from modern machines/OSs, but feels par-ish with current consoles on average to me, cept certain things dont segue as well (and some do much better)

Is there going to be a second speed update? I wasnt even aware.

pretty neat using the wiimote for the web browser, but i need keyboard support!

I swear the light on my keyboard was never on before, until after this update. Or when im playing mh, which supports it, but it wont work with the browser.

Effect

Can't believe how much faster things are. Excellent job Nintendo. This is only the first update. We're suppose to get a second update in the summer.

Dunlop

Keep in mind I just got the WiiU and have not played much with the OS...but I don't see any major difference with the speed

stanley1993

Neo Member
Anyone else get this around 80%?

Had me worried but went through fine in the end.

img20130426031146.jpg

probably already figured it out but itll reset itself n finish where it left of.

im sure they hurried the update. its fast n all but seems like it got choppier. like its trying too hard to be fast.

Well, its faster, but its not really blazing or anything. I guess it just depends what you expect. Its far from modern machines/OSs, but feels par-ish with current consoles on average to me, cept certain things dont segue as well (and some do much better)

Is there going to be a second speed update? I wasnt even aware.

no one claimed it was "blazing". Definitely an noticeable improvement.

JimboJones

disc drive still spins away when using internet browser :(

Probably because you can use those Home Apps while in disk based games, kinda a janky solution but you can go into a App like Netflix or a downloaded game and then activate it from there and there will be no disk spinning :)

JoeFu

Banned
My download started and the bar moved up pretty quickly. Now it stopped and the thing says 4 hours now........

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The speed improvements are a good start. Obviously it could and should be better.

But in the long run I think the changes to background downloading and automatic game updates will be even more valuable.

Anyone else get this around 80%?

Had me worried but went through fine in the end.

img20130426031146.jpg

Was your gamepad in the low-power idle mode? That'll be what causes it. I presume it does that just in case the reason for the drop-out is from someone's gamepad running out of power. All anyone needs to do there is move the gamepad to bring it out of low-power mode, and it will just reset the console then resume the installation where it left off.

hatchx

Banned
no one claimed it was "blazing". Definitely an noticeable improvement.

Maybe it's just my system, but turning it on/off or exiting a game to the Wii Menu is maybe 5 seconds faster. Stills feels slower than my Ps3. How come I need to wait to enter and exit user settings and notifications?

Also, when I load up miiverse it literally freezes for a second or two before entering.

It certainly is faster, but I'm far, far from impressed.

Maybe it's just my system, but turning it on/off or exiting a game to the Wii Menu is maybe 5 seconds faster. Stills feels slower than my Ps3. How come I need to wait to enter and exit user settings and notifications?

Also, when I load up miiverse it literally freezes for a second or two before entering.

settings and notifications are full blown applications

Well remember this is only phase one..

hatchx

Banned
settings and notifications are full blown applications

I don't understand this system.

How come the wara wara plaze loads up on start up, but then to enter miiverse is a nice long wait. Why are the notifications in it's own application and not just part of the native OS.

Everytime I press the home button I feel like it's going to freeze (a couple times it has).

Nintendo your OS is absolutely crap.

Whogie

This is a no brainer. Nintendo would have to push a Wii update in order to change that and they're clearly not going to. They've stopped updating the Wii for quite some time. Unless they've made it possible for the Wii U to communicate with the Wii Mode with updates... but I've yet to see anything in their updates that suggest they can change the Wii Mode in any significant capacity.

Well the Wii U uses a different version of the Wii menu than the Wii does. When the Wii U first came out there were a few tweaks to hinder Homebrewing. Write access was restricted at first and the system would try to delete cracked files on the SD card if left in the slot.

Also the Wii Mode has some communication with the Wii U. There's the button that lets you switch modes and the Settings option is gone and carries over settings from the main OS.
So it's worth a mention.

Drago

Only problem so far is that it takes the same amount of time from before the update for me to exit out of system settings, 20 seconds. Everything else is great. Finally up to par with my PS3! :p

Mileena

Banned

Yea it only seems a little faster for me. Still slow as shit compared to.... everything else.

Yea it only seems a little faster for me. Still slow as shit compared to.... everything else.

Nah, it's a bit (from three to four seconds) quicker than the PS3(s) I've compared it with. Can't speak for one of the low-capacity flash units though. The fact that the PS3 goes to a black screen makes people think it's quicker than it is, whereas there's visual / aural stimuli on Wii U.

Irrefutably a massive improvement over where it was in terms of game exiting - that's a simple fact. Several other apps need to be addressed still.

I'm kinda wondering if this update broke something in my system. Nintendoland won't boot from the disc, it recognizes the disc but trying to start it just brings me to the loading screen without going any further. This is the only disc-based game I have, so it's hard to say if it's the disc or the console.

Banned
Good boost of speed. Love the auto download and update function when I turn off the console. The longest load is still switching to the Wii u menu from an app. Can't wait for Super Mario World on my Gamepad tomorrow. Perfect game to play while lying in bed at the end of the day.

Top Bottom