• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U update live. Nintendo loves us again.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Much, much faster here.

Best thing about update is that the guys in the other thread can stop killing themselves over waiting though :p

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hereby I confirm that unplugging of a locked-up WiiU from the power outlet is no longer required.

Hmm. I don't remember installing anything. I just downloaded it and clicked OK when it was done and it rebooted and that was it. It took about half an hour. It wasn't very exciting. Bring on the VC!

argon

I don't get the point of the "Turn off Wii U Pad display" option when pressing B to exit the options menu turns the display back on again. It should stay off until the user touches the pad again or something. I would like to turn off the display while I watch Netflix movies so I don't have to keep the damn controller plugged in all the time.

I also don't understand why the +/- zoom controls in Wara Wara plaza are shown on my TV, when those controls don't do anything unless I switch the view to the U pad. That's confusing UI design.

Otherwise the update is nice, but still a bit slow in parts, like exiting the settings menu.

Hereby I confirm that unplugging of a locked-up WiiU from the power outlet is no longer required.

Did your Wii U freeze again after the update? Holding the power button before would turn off the system, as long as it wasn't frozen...it was when the system froze the button didn't work.

*Please be yes. Please be yes!

I don't get the point of the "Turn off Wii U Pad display" option when pressing B to exit the options menu turns the display back on again. It should stay off until the user touches the pad again or something. I would like to turn off the display while I watch Netflix movies so I don't have to keep the damn controller plugged in all the time.

Oh, you have to not use that controller. Try a wiimote or the Pro controller.

I also don't understand why the +/- zoom controls in Wara Wara plaza are shown on my TV, when those controls don't do anything unless I switch the view to the U pad. That's confusing UI design.
I think those can be used by a Wii Remote if you happen to want to use one.

Bert

"Software downloaded from the Nintendo eShop will include released updates and will no longer need to be updated after installation"

Are you listening Sony?

God damn this pisses me off on PSN. Just need some games on eShop and I'm sure its have been just as annoying.

Updating now, little sad that I got excited for an undo button.

Goodlife

Came downstairs about 4.30 this morning to let the dog out for a piss and thought I'd kick off the update before going back to bed.

When I came back down a couple of hours later the pad was just showing a blank white screen.... shit it, thought I'd bricked the system.
So had to unplug from the mains.... praying that the update hadn't started before going bang.

Turned back on fine though and updated fine second time round (although I had to download the update again)

JoeM86

Just loading this up on my Japanese Wii U. Will be doing my UK one at a later point.

Quick question though. Can you turn off the mode which can download when in Standby? I remember lots of Wiis broke due to Wii Connect 24 constantly being on

Goodlife

Just loading this up on my Japanese Wii U. Will be doing my UK one at a later point.

Quick question though. Can you turn off the mode which can download when in Standby? I remember lots of Wiis broke due to Wii Connect 24 constantly being on

When you first boot it up it gives you an option to enable / disable standby.

serplux

The fan actually runs on the Wii U while it's in standby mode unlike the Wii, and it's not connected nearly as often (considering the Wii was constantly updating for the News/Forecast Channels, while the Wii U just stays on for download queues). So it should be fine.

JoeM86

The fan actually runs on the Wii U while it's in standby mode unlike the Wii, and it's not connected nearly as often (considering the Wii was constantly updating for the News/Forecast Channels, while the Wii U just stays on for download queues). So it should be fine.

I just don't wish to risk my Japanese Wii U bricking, as I need it for my site and don't have easy access to repairs for it

When you first boot it up it gives you an option to enable / disable standby.

Thanks. Almost done with the update :)

The standby downloads are just like on Xbox 360, right? Set it to download a demo or something, shut it down, and it will enter standby and shut off after the download is complete?

Erethian

The standby downloads are just like on Xbox 360, right? Set it to download a demo or something, shut it down, and it will enter standby and shut off after the download is complete?

Yeah. I think it might also check to see if any of your current games need updates, as well as whatever is already in your queue, but don't quote me on that.

I seriously think this update fucked up my system. Things seem LONGER, the disc drive spins for no reason and I actually got a "starting software" waiting screen before going into the normal lifetime waiting screen for the System Menu.

Ugh, Nintendo. You disappoint me so much.

Yeah your system is now slower ... sure you use a Wii U?

The screen resizing thing is the best part of this update. (Besides the speed increases)

ALL of my TVs have awful overscan for the Wii U.

Mysterious, perhaps you should check your TV-Preferences-Menu and not your Wii U-Preferences-Menü. If you connected your Wii U via HDMI there could not be an overscan if the TV-Functions has been correct adjusted.

Nosgoroth

Updated with no issue.

Whoa, NL boots up FAST... which in this particular case is kind of sad. NSMBU, Little Inferno boot time also improved, and returning to home is also fast.

Nice.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
They fixed the video player, it isn't a struggle to accurately scrub through long videos now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Times like this the gamepad is very useful - quick switch on and update, no need to turn the TV on

This

Software downloaded from the Nintendo eShop will include released updates and will no longer need to be updated after installation

Very nice, hopefully Sony will follow suit on PS4. Downloading a huge game, only to find it immediately has a huge patch is infuriating. MS have this too but their patches are generally so small they don't get in the way

Terrell

From the wording of the OS update notes, it sounds like it also periodically polls the eShop for instructions to download updates even if the console is off and the user has not initiated the download.

Ok, yep, it is a good bit faster. I like what I see so far. I can't wait for the next batch of fixes.

Download takes sooo much time and is cancelled so often, ugh

If there would be at least a auto-restart function for downloads that fail

For real, that download was a monster. What is the file size anyway?

Nibel

Download takes sooo much time and is cancelled so often, ugh

If there would be at least a auto-restart function for downloads that fail

Nibel

Ok, yep, it is a good bit faster. I like what I see so far. I can't wait for the next batch of fixes.

For real, that download was a monster. What is the file size anyway?

Just 679MB if I remember correctly

That's like a 2 minute download on my PC with full speed

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wii Remote support for the browser sounds good. Does it also have the phone style typing input? Where there are like 9 primary buttons and you click them multiple times to switch between 3-4 letters? I found that comfy.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Did your Wii U freeze again after the update? Holding the power button before would turn off the system, as long as it wasn't frozen...it was when the system froze the button didn't work.

*Please be yes. Please be yes!
Yes. That's why I said 'unconditionally' in my post : )

Just 679MB if I remember correctly

That's like a 2 minute download on my PC with full speed

There's something really wrong with Nintendo's servers or something...

Wii Remote support for the browser sounds good. Does it also have the phone style typing input? Where there are like 9 primary buttons and you click them multiple times to switch between 3-4 letters? I found that comfy.

Yeah, nah. This makes me really mad. They allow Wiimote support if you just want to move the page around and click, but to use your bookmarks and to type you actually have to use the gamepad.

If I'm using the Wiimote, I probably don't want to constantly switch between that and the gamepad. Come on.

Mithos

There's something really wrong with Nintendo's servers or something...

I have this speed problem on PS3 also, before I had PS+ I always downloaded firmware on PC place on USB then update (now I just let PS+ download at night when I sleep), because it took seconds to download on the PC compared to 10+minutes on the PS3.

Well, the service is free after all.

2 hours plus for a few hundred MB? I don't know, Sony doesn't have that problem do they?

I have this speed problem on PS3 also, before I had PS+ I always downloaded firmware on PC place on USB then update (now I just let PS+ download at night when I sleep), because it took seconds compared to 10+minutes on the PS3.

Oh, interesting. Still, you'd think it would be a bit faster than that.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah, nah. This makes me really mad. They allow Wiimote support if you just want to move the page around and click, but to use your bookmarks and to type you actually have to use the gamepad.

If I'm using the Wiimote, I probably don't want to constantly switch between that and the gamepad. Come on.
Yeah that makes no sense. They got it right on Wii, why wouldn't they just evolve that design?

Are you sure, have you tried the different buttons and things, like on Wii with some setting you had to press 1 or 2, I forget, to get the bottom bar on screen and click on settings, bookmarks, etc.

Yeah that makes no sense. They got it right on Wii, why wouldn't they just evolve that design?

Are you sure, have you tried the different buttons and things, like on Wii with some setting you had to press 1 or 2, I forget, to get the bottom bar on screen and click on settings, bookmarks, etc.

I tried every button. I guess not. If I'm missing something, someone please let me know.

Top Bottom