• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can Nintendo get away with selling the 3DSXL without a charger?

That's just annoying. It's not even shown that clearly on the box, just a little warning. I'm pretty sure it's the only electronic device over £50 to not come with some sort of charger.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They are still doing this? I had heard that it was only in bundles or something that a charger wasn't included?

Grampasso

I think the possibility that someone hasn't owned a DSi, DSiXL or regular 3DS before purchasing a 3DSXL doesn't bother them.

thuway

That's just annoying. It's not even shown that clearly on the box, just a little warning. I'm pretty sure it's the only electronic device over £50 to not come with some sort of charger.

I know the Nintendo faithful will jump on me for this, but I have really had it with Nintendo. They have lost me completely with their new ethos of value. They are just as bad as 2005 Sony.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They don't have an account system in 2013.

In 2013. And there are people on this very forum who act as if you're asking too much of them for wanting that.

FStop7

Banned
Wasn't it the Super Famicom that shipped without a power supply or A/V cables, or was it just no A/V cables?

Gartooth

Is this worldwide or only in specific regions? I guess the only good note is that a good portion of the 3DS XL consumers probably already owned a 3DS, DS Lite, etc. and can probably get by.

Sandfox

I still think its interesting that the XLs fly off shelves in Japan so I'm guessing its ok with the people in Japan. I don't understand why NoE does it though when the US doesn't have deal with it.

The fuck? How can that not be illegal?

I don't think they legally have to give you a charger if they sell it separately.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Because
0206_eapxn.gif

kings of nickel and diming

If I had to wager a guess as well, it's just a re-wired USB port with a proprietary end.

Didn't we have this same thread literally yesterday? ;D

But what I said in that one: Nintendo is cheap. It's not a huge problem but it is annoying.

BlackJace

Er, I believe it was for Japan and Europe only. I suppose the reasoning behind it is that owners of the OG 3DS would use those.
Ninty penny-pinching, but seeing as the XLs are selling great in Japan (don't know about Europe), I guess they don't care.

Sandfox

Er, I believe it was for Japan and Europe only. I suppose the reasoning behind it is that owners of the OG 3DS would use those.

Its the same as the DSi charger as well so anyone who has that can use it on their XL. Its still a stupid assumption though on their part though.

HardRojo

I lost my 3ds charger and you can literally get a charger on newegg for like $5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0PG0F31522

not a big deal.

They can get away with it because of posts like this.
Next thing they'll release a new SKU that comes with no controller and for a cheaper price, you can get one on the side though, "not a big deal".

Not a big deal that a device that depends on a unique charger to operate is shipped without one. Right.

Forgot about that, that makes it worse lol, if it was a regular USB port then I could understand (would still be a stupid move) but a proprietary one... Nintendo baffles me with their decisions sometimes.

Ninty penny-pinching, but seeing as the XLs are selling great in Japan (don't know about Europe), I guess they don't care.

Oh, does the regular 3DS have them?

thefro

They can get away with it because of posts like this.
Next thing they'll release a new SKU that comes with no controller and for a cheaper price, you can get one on the side though, "not a big deal".

Next thing you know one of their competitors will release a portable without a memory card that's mandatory to play games packed in.

But yeah, I'm glad NOA isn't doing this.

RoyalFool

Banned
To be fair, I've got about 3 of the chargers cluttering up the place - so it's nice they don't assume you want one (and I hope they pass on the cost) but sure, they need to make it much clearer on the box.

zroid

Banned
I recommend ordering a USB charging cable if you're buying an XL in Europe or Japan. You can get them for like 2 bucks online. I don't even use the charge cord that came with my XL because it's easier to charge it on my laptop anyway.

If its so cheap and easily available, why dont they include one.

I don't know and I don't care, because it affects me, as a consumer, almost none.

I'm comparing it in my mind to the Vita not shipping with a memory card despite many games requiring it. Seems roughly equivalent and neither really bother me.

EDIT: The only way I could see this annoying me if I was under the impression that "what's in the box" has to be the entire complete experience. Eh, whatever. Nintendo's decision is dumb, but not anti-consumer to the level that I'd go complain about it.

Top Bottom