• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can Nintendo get away with selling the 3DSXL without a charger?

ramyeon

Okay, to clear up confusion.

NA 3DS XLs come with the charger.

Original 3DS's in all regions come with the charger.

The 3DS XL can use normal 3DS and DSi chargers.

Also, chargers cost like three to five bucks and from what I've seen, the European boxes explicitly state how it doesn't come with one.
They also come with chargers in Australia.

jts

...hate me...
You're completely missing the point. It would be like selling a car without a key.
Or toys without batteries. It happens a lot.

But if Nintendo wanted to follow this route to save costs, they should have just figured out USB charging and include a small cable in the box. Cheap as fuck, no extra bulk.

For sure it saves them money but I don't think anyone else does this in Europe. They could have designed the cord so that it was Apple esq and has an interchangeable plug for the different EU sockets. It's pretty poor on their part IMO.

yeah that would probably be a better idea doesn't change the fact that a large proportion buying the system will already have a charger and not need another, personally i wont need one if i ever get an xl but its a bit annoying for those that do but it is made pretty clear and most bricks and mortar retailers are good with pointing out and throwing one in if you need one

I'm not going to pretend this is in any way reasonable. Nintendo is fucking the customer here.

That said, let's not pretend it's just Nintendo that pulls cheap shit like that. Looking at Sony and Microsoft here for not including HDMI cables with many of the HD consoles they've sold.

That's just annoying. It's not even shown that clearly on the box, just a little warning. I'm pretty sure it's the only electronic device over £50 to not come with some sort of charger.
1.) It's a great step for the environment and more mobile phone manufacturers (other than HTC) should do the same.

2.) It IS shown clearly on the box. I have it in my hands and there is a yellow highlighted section on the front and back.

Zemm

Wtf? That's seriously fucked up. I wonder how many were bought as presents without the adult knowing this and the kid bursting into tears when he can't play his toy.

Gold Member
yeah that would probably be a better idea doesn't change the fact that a large proportion buying the system will already have a charger and not need another, personally i wont need one if i ever get an xl but its a bit annoying for those that do but it is made pretty clear and most bricks and mortar retailers are good with pointing out and throwing one in if you need one
Well yeah sure people might have one I would imagine a similar number of people would have iPhone chargers knocking about (before they changed them anyway) yet Apple always box em. I just find it incredibly odd / cheap that you wouldn't put one in the box given every other chargeable device does and assuming that most of the purchasers would have one doesn't really seem like much of an excuse IMO (especially as you could design around it to save money).

Still I'll be getting a couple soon for the kiddies and they already have DS's so at least I won't have to buy them if I go XL :)

ITT: a bunch of americans complaining about something that doesn't affect them.

sadly, something like that isn't illegal. it's called free marked, and the consumer gets to choose between a bunch of different charging cables from different manufacturers.
In every store I've ever been to, a selection of carging cables were hanging right besides the xl anyway. ranging from 50 cent for an USB one to about 10€.

(I'd rather not want choose though)

edit: afaik this isn't that unusal in japan anyway. read somthing about that a few months ago

so if something doesn't affect you, you're not allowed to complain about it?

BasilZero

nintendo sell NES games at $5 so thats fifty bucks for them and the gba games should be worth at least as much, so thats at least $100 of value, plus early 3ds owners got excitebike 3d classic free as well

edit -- to respond to your edit, well nintendo have been quite liberal with giving away free 3ds games anyway lately

I understand that much but it would suck if you already had those games...considering the list of games are already popular games lol.

linkboy

For the same reason Casio can get away with selling keyboards without a power cord and printers don't come with USB cables.

They just can.

Weird that this happened to Europe yet Australians still got a charger included with the XL's.

Really hate this sort of thing, it seems to happen a lot with certain kinds of technology. My dad picked up a tablet awhile ago and it lacked any sort of recharging device, had no clue before buying so.

Kangi

It is. I posted a picture on the previous page. Another poster considered it too small.

There's also this on the back of the boxes:

007.jpg

I understand that much but it would suck if you already had those games...considering the list of games are already popular games lol.

most people wont have all them games and for a some of them it'll be the first chance to play them portably, at the end of the day the ambassador programme wont please everyone but i thought it was great, so what kind of freebies did sony give every time they cut the ps3 price?

Jacobi

Banned
This definitely shows you just can't trust companies. I hope for a law that states a charger is required to sell an electronic device like this, or we'll see more shenanigans like this one by other companies too...

dose

it uses the same charger as the dsi, there's a fairly good chance new 3ds xl owners will have a dsi or 3ds
There's a fairly good chance new 3DS XL owners won't have a DS. Absoultely ridiculous decision by Nintendo, I'm surprised they've got away with it.

dab0ne

Thank you, I honestly have never heard about this before.

Damn.

I actually didn't know they did this either. I currently live in the UK but I've never looked at any of their hand held consoles so I didn't know this. My UK cell phone (mobile) came with a charger though... curious.

This definitely shows you just can't trust companies. I hope for a law that states a charger is required to sell an electronic device like this, or we'll see more shenanigans like this one by other companies too...

Don't press your luck. They didn't want different chargers because environmental reasons, I highly doubt that they'll do something that could easily slide under that.

That and it really isn't a big deal since either you already have it from owning a DSi/DSiXL/3DS, or you buy one at a most likely one time cost for cheap.

This literally feels like a manuafactured rage thread for the sake of it. You're asking too little too late on this one.

Laranja

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I was considering buying a 3DS after the recent batch of game announcements, and then remembered this. I refuse to buy any handheld that doesn't include its charger.

There's no excuse.

Kangi

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I was considering buying a 3DS after the recent batch of game announcements, and then remembered this. I refuse to buy any handheld that doesn't include its charger.

There's no excuse.

You can... just buy the charger...?

Wait what? lol they actually sell you this device without the ability to recharge it? Is it a proprietary input plug? The only way someone should be able to get away with this is if it's charged via mini-USB or something else really really common.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It is the same as the DSi charger, so if you're upgrading there's no need to get an additional charger and jack up the price. That's probably the reason why.

If it really bothers you that badly, then go buy a Wii U and complain about it on Miiverse. That seems to have worked 3 times already.

-Horizon-

Yeah that sticker on the box is kind of noticeable but still, I don't get why they chose not to include a charger for some regions while providing it for others. I can see it being a bother for those affected regions.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It's a non-issue because everyone has 5 compatible chargers laying around the house.

/dismissive fanthing

BasilZero

so what kind of freebies did sony give every time they cut the ps3 price?

I wouldnt know since I bought my PS3 on Black Friday 2011 for $199.99 and it came with LittleBigPlanet 2 Special Edition and Ratchet&Clank All 4 One. Sucks for all those who bought it for $500+ ;p

Patience is a virtue especially for the Wallet - both in the case of the 3DS and for the PS3 especially~

zruben

Banned
wow... this thread exists??

i guess people are running out of ammo with the 3ds... that charger thing is fucking ancient news.

Yeah that sticker on the box is kind of noticeable but still, I don't get why they chose not to include a charger for some regions while providing it for others. I can see it being a bother for those affected regions.

Because as stated, America and Canada have the same standards and therefore they only need to make one charger. That is not the case with Europe.

Japan? Well.... the yen is strong I guess.

blamite

Don't all Wii Us come with HDMI cables?

I don't understand why they're willing to do that but won't package a charger with their much more successful system.

Top Bottom