• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can Nintendo get away with selling the 3DSXL without a charger?

Zornica

Banned
official defense post.

afaik this is pretty common in japan with electronic devices read something about it waaaaay back when the xl was released.

there is also a new meassure within the eu atm for an universal charging connector for electronic devices. not having a charger in the 3ds box is just the beginning.

on the other hand, I find it strange to see so many americans complaining about this... THIS is what the "free market" is all about... I thought you guys are inclined to love that stuff?

anyway, they'd probably charge you 5-10€ with the charger in the package, so you could argue it's the most pro consumer thing in a long time

Well, I'm sure you have plenty of money to spend on whichever consoles you want and their respective accessories. I don't, and like I said, if I drop €200 on any handheld, I don't want to be spending any more money on anything but games.

I'm not sure how the Vita situation compares, I'm not really that well-informed about it. It still seems like a slightly better situation than the 3DS XL, since you'd probably still be able to use the device, even if you couldn't save your progress in games. Edit: I reread your post. The Vita needs a memory card to run games? And that's sold separately? What the fuck is wrong with this industry?

The 3DS XL, as sold in Europe and Japan, is nothing more than a fancy paperweight. You can do nothing with it. How is this OK? How do you think it's OK to sell a product like this?

This is some very strange reasoning. You can look up the price of a 3DS XL. You can look up the price of a charger. Now add them together. There, I solved your problem.

That's just annoying. It's not even shown that clearly on the box, just a little warning. I'm pretty sure it's the only electronic device over £50 to not come with some sort of charger.

Would you update the OP to mention that this is ONLY in Europe and Japan, not North America, please?

I'd say about half of the people in this thread think all 3DS XL's don't come with a charger.

Obviously it's more important to have the truth than to have misinformation floating around. This is a video game forum, after all.

dose

A). It's very clearly marked on the package.
B). 95% of the people buying it already have either a DSi or 3DS. This is Europe we're talking about. Very different kind of market than NA. NoA wouldn't dream of trying it over here.
Where are you pulling this bullshit 95% figure from? Link please.

Laranja

...buy an original 3DS, if you're that intent about it.

I really hate the way the original 3DS looks and feels. The larger screen is also pretty cool, so I couldn't settle for the original, I'd have to go with the XL.

Still, no charger, no buy.

Anyway, it's not like I really really wanted to buy one. I was considering getting one after realising that there are quite a few games for it that I might enjoy. I'm pretty tight on money, and knowing that I'd have to spend some extra money on the charger, in addition to the games, made me decide not to buy one, at this point.

PaulLFC

You don't own a DSi, DSi XL, or 3DS?
As hard as it seems to be for you to believe, no, not everyone owns one of those devices. Trying to use that as an excuse is ridiculous, it isn't an excuse or a justification, it's a claim that nobody has numbers for which doesn't change the fact that it is an electronic device and should come with a charger like every other electronic device released in the last however many years. Whatever angle this is looked at, unless it is from Nintendo's balance sheet, it isn't right.

I'm basing it off of this, which is five dollars.
Yes, an American website which doesn't deliver to Europe. What's your point?

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Not to excuse the whole charger cable / memory card / HDMI cable fiasco, but on a forum where so many people buy games they don't even touch, throw money at all types of kick-starters and double/triple dip on games for no apparent reason, Im finding this pretty funny.

serplux

I really hate the way the original 3DS looks and feels. The larger screen is also pretty cool, so I couldn't settle for the original, I'd have to go with the XL.

Anyway, it's not like I really really wanted to buy one. I was considering getting one after realising that there are quite a few games for it that I might enjoy. I'm pretty tight on money, and knowing that I'd have to spend some extra money on the charger, in addition to the games, made me decide not to buy one, at this point.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028V0RY8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

3 dollars bud. 3 dollars.

Not to excuse the whole charger cable / memory card / HDMI cable fiasco, but on a forum where so many people buy games they don't even touch, throw money at all types of kick-starters and double/triple dip on games for no apparent reason, Im finding this pretty funny.

It's inconvenient and a bad marketing move for sure, but certainly not something worth boycotting the system over.

That list price is... >>

lmao that costs more than some games.

Laranja

This is some very strange reasoning. You can look up the price of a 3DS XL. You can look up the price of a charger. Now add them together. There, I solved your problem.

I'm sorry, I'm used to buying handheld and mobile devices that come with the fucking charger, so I forgot to take the cost into account. Having to buy the charger separately makes the device more expensive than what I was willing to spend, and that in turn makes me not want to buy it.

How's that for reasoning?

JazzmanZ

why not save some money to get the system and charger at some point?

As hard as it seems to be for you to believe, no, not everyone owns one of those devices. Trying to use that as an excuse is ridiculous, it isn't an excuse or a justification, it's a claim that nobody has numbers for which doesn't change the fact that it is an electronic device and should come with a charger like every other electronic device released in the last however many years. Whatever angle this is looked at, unless it is from Nintendo's balance sheet, it isn't right.

So you do not own any model of DSi or a 3DS?

I'd actually prefer no charger in the box and a micro-USB charging port to having the charger included...hate having to use separate chargers for portable game consoles when so many different portable devices like smartphones, MP3 players, e-readers, etc. all use the same chargers and plug.

Gold Member
I'm sorry, I'm used to buying handheld and mobile devices that come with the fucking charger, so I forgot to take the cost into account. Having to buy the charger separately makes the device more expensive than what I was willing to spend, and that in turn makes me not want to buy it.

Unreasonable, how dare you expect it to be packed in? What other manufacturer does that anyway pffff? lol

JazzmanZ

ok, why not get the system then when its on sale/ price cut? then you basically get the system for what you originally budget for

I'd actually prefer no charger in the box and a micro-USB charging port to having the charger included...hate having to use separate chargers for portable game consoles when so many different portable devices like smartphones, MP3 players, e-readers, etc. all use the same chargers and plug.

That would solve so much, but they clearly want to make money off of their own chargers and limit the 3rd party exposure.

Eventually these companies will just go with a universal charger, like what almost happened a few years ago.

How can people defend this?

Even Apple isn't this cheap.

Yea Apple will change the charger every 6 months but they'll put it in the box, lol. Really no logical explanation for this other than cutting corners for cost. And yet, if it's found for cheap, why can't it be bundled?

No? Do you think everyone owns one or something?

Even if I did, from a general consumer standpoint this isn't right. 100% of the population does not own a compatible charger. It should be in the box.

I understand your point. I'm just saying, from Nintendo's point of view, the people most likely to pick up a 3DS XL would be the same people who own one of the previous models from the last five years or so. For the relatively small percentage of people interested in 3DS XL who don't own any previous DSi or 3DS, it is sold separately.

serplux

Dude, why are you trying so hard? I appreciate the help, but my mind is set.

Anyway, Amazon UK delivers for free in the UK, not in the EU.

It would help if I knew where you live. -_-

I'm bored and I can't go outside because of the rain. *shrugs*

Free shipping to europe for over 25 pounds purchases, if not around 6 pounds. 13 pounds is 20$. Please if you don't know, don't try to look smart in front of others.

No need to be so brash there.

Your original posts said that you weren't buying it because you expect them to pack in a charger and that you didn't like being "tricked" into buying extra stuff. But the package clearly indicates that there's no charger included so how exactly are you being tricked? It's all laid out in front of the consumer what they're paying for. If you're this picky about what how you spend your money I'd expect you to do more research than this.

And as for your 200€ comment, the system + charger is cheaper than that on Amazon.

wat..........

I guess next time I get a new smartphone, I shouldn't expect a charger. Maybe they won't even include a remote when you get a new TV either. No big deal.

Its a bit worse than that. Most smart phones use a standard usb cable to recharge. 3DS does not. You can still use your TV without a remote. You cannot use a 3DS until you fully charge it.

It's more like buying a laptop without a charger.

Top Bottom