• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can Nintendo get away with selling the 3DSXL without a charger?

HardRojo

Next thing you know one of their competitors will release a portable without a memory card that's mandatory to play games packed in.

Which is a shitty move that cost them hard, I didn't argue otherwise about it, you can still play the games but it's annoying as hell and I've been saying for months now that Sony should release a new and standard bundle that comes with a 4GB card, a downloadable game and a Vita for $200.

HardRojo

Certain games won't start without the memory so you are forced to buy it.

Yeah, I didn't word that properly, I meant you can still play some games but it's still stupid given they're overpriced, I have never defended Sony's stance on the Vita cards, likewise I can't defend Nintendo's baffling decisions.

Gold Member
Hmm that takes the living piss given that is pretty useless without one. Pretty cheap on Nintendo's part.

That said the ones on Amazon seem to ship with them, so I guess it just depends where you get them from in the UK.

Edit: That's the og one not the xl, I'm dumb.

Shoyz

I'm just picturing some kid at Christmas having to wait days to play with their 3DS.

Back when I got my PSP I had no games to play with it, but I was planning on simply transferring over demos I'd downloaded to play (no wifi). Was excited to get to play a bunch of new (demo) games.
..no USB cable in the box. That was a few really dull days of just staring at it..

Granted, that was miniUSB, a standard for a bunch of devices, and today I have a spares. But a charger? Cmon.

Kangi

Okay, to clear up confusion.

NA 3DS XLs come with the charger.

Original 3DS's in all regions come with the charger.

The 3DS XL can use normal 3DS and DSi chargers.

Also, chargers cost like three to five bucks and from what I've seen, the European boxes explicitly state how it doesn't come with one.

Nintendo cycle.

1. Release good games, make consumers happy.

\/

2. Become arrogant, popular/successful/print money, produce bare minimum products to satisfy fanboys.

\/

3. Lose popularity because of "crappy", phoned in casual games nobody wants. Become irrelevant.

\/

4. Panic mode Nintendo, forced to make an effort and produce games that people actually want. Gamers rejoice.

\/

Back to step one.

I loved Nintendo in the NES, SNES days, mostly because they were probable always in kind of a panic mode as the games business wasn't so big back then so they had to fight to make their name. They had to prove themselves as the gaming standard. But once they became a household name, they have become too comfortable with their successful brand name.

But at least we get some good games every Nintendo cycle.

They can get away with it because most people have absolutely so self control and cannot resist going out and buying the latest toy on day one regardless of if it actually warrants purchase or not. If people don't stop acting like children and show some restraint, Nintendo has no reason to NOT take advantage. Gamers are spoiling gaming for everyone.

Thoraxes

You know what does make me sad though? No cradle with the XL (and I pine for a cheap one on my Vita, too)

Let's get dem Club Nintendo awards to include one!

if they can legally get away with it, I don't blame them. I mean, it's super shitty IMO, but I understand them wanting to make as much money as possible.

andshrew

I imagine it's mostly cost saving on Nintendo's part but it's possible it's also part of their 'green' strategy to cut down on shipping out unnecessary parts ie. it's likely someone buying a 3DS already has a compatible charger so why provide something that may just end up in the bin as it isn't needed.

The charger was bundled with the system by most UK retailers when the XL first came out.

Also, chargers cost like three to five bucks and from what I've seen, the European boxes explicitly state how it doesn't come with one.

Ah ok, we just misunderstood. Thanks Nintendo.

Glass Rebel

For the record:

sGVvunq.jpg

also

Banned
It wouldn't have bothered me if the exclusion of the charger resulted in a cheaper price, but it's the exact opposite. Americans pay the least and also get the charger.
Still, early EU adopters (~ 1st 6 moths) were given a free game, so not everything is that bad.

Is there some EU tax they are getting around? Like, if the device isnt powered though the micro USB standard, you have to pay a fee? Something about reducing components in landfills. Maybe what i remember reading only related to cell phones, im not sure.

Fey

Banned
I usually support Nintendo in lots of things but yeah this is pretty damn annoying of them. I'd be pissed if I was a first time 3DS buyer and came home all excited to find no charger. I mean, yeah, it probably states "No charger" somewhere on the box but I would have assumed it did.

Thankfully at least NoA didn't go through with this (which tbh I'm still shocked about). It shouldn't be assumed that everyone has/had a DSi/3DS.

Madouu

I wish this was the first post because I was hell of confused when I went to buy my 3ds XL (Canada) a few months ago. I picked up an extra charger just in case which ended up being pretty useful since I travel quite a bit but still. Would avoid any more confusion...

Is there some EU tax they are getting around? Like, if the device isnt powered though the micro USB standard, you have to pay a fee? Something about reducing components in landfills. Maybe what i remember reading only related to cell phones, im not sure.

its not a tax or anything but there is eu recommendations about reducing waste chargers, also not including a charger means they can save money by only producing one package of each colour for the whole of europe

BasilZero

When you have a 30+ year presence that is respected through what they did in their early days and for the gaming content they provided in all the generations, people tend to turn a blind eye towards issues such as this.

I still cant believe they cut the price of the 3DS by $80 in less than a year and just gave away NES and GBA games that dont even match up to $80...."Ambassador" program l0l. They should of gave 1 3DS or 1-2 NDS titles of your own choice instead >.>.

Quoting for exposure.

Considering this was something that was announced back when they announced the XL, and despite the shitfit that was thrown about, no one has really said anything about it afterwards, and people still buying 3DSes to play their games, it's pretty easy to see how they got away with it.

When you have a 30+ year presence that is respected through what they did in their early days and for the gaming content they provided in all the generations, people tend to turn a blind eye towards issues such as this.

I still cant believe they cut the price of the 3DS by $80 in less than a year and just gave away NES and GBA games that dont even match up to $80...."Ambassador" program l0l.

nintendo sell NES games at $5 so thats fifty bucks for them and the gba games should be worth at least as much, so thats at least $100 of value, plus early 3ds owners got excitebike 3d classic free as well

edit -- to respond to your edit, well nintendo have been quite liberal with giving away free 3ds games anyway lately

If it's so cheap, why doesn't Nintendo include one. I simply don't understand how anyone could pretend there's a legitamite reason for not including one.

then why don't they include one? If it only costs us $5, it would have only cost Nintendo cents on the dollar to buy them in bulk.

as i pointed out (not defending just can see the business sense) it saves nintendo a boatload of cash by not having to produce different packages for different european countries

then why don't they include one? If it only costs us $5, it would have only cost Nintendo cents on the dollar to buy them in bulk.
It just seems like such a weird move, why wouldn't they include something the device needs to operate?

I'd be very confused to find out something that essential was missing.

I still cant believe they cut the price of the 3DS by $80 in less than a year and just gave away NES and GBA games that dont even match up to $80...."Ambassador" program l0l. They should of gave 1 3DS or 1-2 NDS titles of your own choice instead >.>.

Zelda and Fire Emblem are worth like 50 together for the carts alone, lol.

Gold Member
as i pointed out (not defendin just can see the business sense) it saves nintendo a boatload of cash by not having to produce different packages for different european countries
For sure it saves them money but I don't think anyone else does this in Europe. They could have designed the cord so that it was Apple esq and has an interchangeable plug for the different EU sockets. It's pretty poor on their part IMO.

Zornica

Banned
ITT: a bunch of americans complaining about something that doesn't affect them.

sadly, something like that isn't illegal. it's called free marked, and the consumer gets to choose between a bunch of different charging cables from different manufacturers.
In every store I've ever been to, a selection of carging cables were hanging right besides the xl anyway. ranging from 50 cent for an USB one to about 10€.

(I'd rather not want choose though)

edit: afaik this isn't that unusal in japan anyway. read somthing about that a few months ago

Top Bottom