• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Absolutely STUNNING images of Dubai's Skyline (and more).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Resemblance to Spec Ops: The Line is almost complete.

NJZtoLm.jpg

jg67h2J.jpg

8lLGCko.jpg

igB3r4P.jpg

fAvEAEy.jpg

3qAlyhI.jpg

5enbQrv.jpg

QDRTVXb.jpg

HHkqWFb.jpg

zUGFU5l.jpg

up9NYJ7.jpg

Photos courtesy of Daniel Cheong. Tons more at the link.

Konka

Banned
Man most of the building have that really generic concrete mass produced skyscraper look. That's why I really love US skylines vs say Dubai or shanghai, they are basically all the same period. In NYC you have nearly a century worth of skyscraper styles from Art Deco to Modern.

Go319

It just feels so empty and lifeless when you are on ground level.

Ghost town for sure.

The fog hiding the immediate and endless desert looks good tho...

Darkkn

Dubai is amazing reminder of what humans can achieve with little time. I wonder how Dubai will sustain itself after oil trade starts to fall off? They need pretty amazing economy to run the city. I guess it was smart to put the oil money to something useful, like building a modern super city, while they still have mountains of cash.

edit: Would be awesome if Europe or US decided to build a city from a scratch, like those 'city of the future' that people used to design in a past.

It just feels so empty and lifeless when you are on ground level.

Ghost town for sure.

The fog hiding the immediate and endless desert looks good tho...

Are you sure you know what ghost town means? Just because you feel that it's lifeless does not make it a ghost town.
Dubai is amazing reminder of what humans can achieve with little time. I wonder how Dubai will sustain itself after oil trade starts to fall off? They need pretty amazing economy to run the city. I guess it was smart to put the oil money to something useful, like building a modern super city, while they still have mountains of cash.
I thought the whole purpose of making those big buildings, hotels and leisure spots was to ween off from Oil dependency and transition to tourism-based.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

They have a lot of space for some giant ass solar projects.

When we have a revolution in battery capacity as well as further developments of solar panels to increase their efficiency (more power with less space/maintenance), I guess solar projects will be pretty big in the region.

With the right batteries, you could then ship the energy around the world.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

The whole idea was tourism, wasn't it?
Have a bitchin' city built that brings people from all over and move from oil to tourism.

SJRB

Gold Member
Beautiful but soulless.

Exactly.

I really want to visit Dubai some day though because there's some amazing architecture, but it's pretty tasteless in its grandour. The city always looks deserted in photos too.

RM8

Wow, this is absolutely gorgeous. Sadly I'm not itching to ever visit that place because of... stuff :/

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Meet the proud Dubaians who built it, oh wait..

1UGS6HU.jpg

What are they doing outside their camp? They might escape the country. Oh, wait... they'd need money and passports for that.

dejay

Banned
The whole idea was tourism, wasn't it?
Have a bitchin' city built that brings people from all over and move from oil to tourism.

Didn't Spain spend a lot of money to achieve the same? Relying on tourism alone isn't going to cut it. It's a fickle industry at best; trends, competition and currency fluctuations can turn it around really quickly, even in a strong world economy.

Konka

Banned
Uhhhh. Yeah I'd never want to live there...

wiki said:
According to the census conducted by the Statistics Centre of Dubai, the population of the emirate was 1,771,000 as of 2009, which included 1,370,000 males and 401,000 females.

That looks like the smallest big city I've ever seen. The buildings are beautiful, no doubt, but there's not too many of them. The city honestly looks like it's less than five square miles.

Majine

Banned
According to the census conducted by the Statistics Centre of Dubai, the population of the emirate was 1,771,000 as of 2009, which included 1,370,000 males and 401,000 females.

Dat ratio.

That looks like the smallest big city I've ever seen. The buildings are beautiful, no doubt, but there's not too many of them. The city honestly looks like it's less than five square miles.

It's Simcity (2013) in real life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom