• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

Neiteio

scores really dont mean much in reviews.

i mean take pokemon gold/silver. the original almost everywhere got a higher score than the remakes even though it really makes no sense that way.
Games are reviewed relative to the time they are released. Hence the groundbreaking predecessor gets a higher score than a sequel that is technically better but is only iterative conceptually.

Clockwork5

Looks like the majority of the scores are very positive.

+1 to my 3ds backlog. :)

Edit: Just noticed I got Member status today!! Yipee!

Neiteio

Looks like the majority of the scores are very positive.

+1 to my 3ds backlog. :)

Edit: Just noticed I got Member status today!! Yipee!
pLgb2Cc.png

Super Mario 3D Land was 30fps too, right?
It's been a long time since I played it but I don't remember bothering me. Hopefully DKCR3D too

Yeah, pretty sure it was 30 FPS. It'll only be noticeable given how much time I put into the Wii version, I'm sure DKR3D is perfectly playable and I'll have a blast and soon adapt to it. Managed to beat Sigma on the Vita at 30 FPS and enjoyed it.

jred2k

Ahhh why does this have to release on a Friday. Hopefully one of the stores around me remembers to put it on the shelf this week. Never owned a Wii so I can't wait to get my hands on this.

friz898

I'm trying to talk myself out of purchasing this.

Trying to get it out of my system using SNES emulator.

Hate paying $35 bucks for a platformer. Even the Marios are guilty purchases for me, I simply do not get as much playtime out of them to justify the $35+ as compared to an online game or RPG.

I'm trying to talk myself out of purchasing this.

Trying to get it out of my system using SNES emulator.

Hate paying $35 bucks for a platformer. Even the Marios are guilty purchases for me, I simply do not get as much playtime out of them to justify the $35+ as compared to an online game or RPG.
Believe me this is not just any platformer. This is an amazing game that has quite a long playing time and a lot of replay value.

I paid $50 for the Wii one and was totally worth it. I'm getting this is as well.

My opinion, the best side scrolling platformer ever made and Nintendo's best platformer.

Korosenai

My local walmart already has these out on the shelves. Thought about picking it up but didn't have any cash on me at the time.

Ein Bear

scores really dont mean much in reviews.

i mean take pokemon gold/silver. the original almost everywhere got a higher score than the remakes even though it really makes no sense that way.

Ports/Remakes/Remasters always, always, get lower review scores than the original version of the game. It winds me up every time I see it, in the games industry a 10/10 GOTY seems to lose an extra point off it's score every six months out from original release. It's one of my pet peeves in games journalism.

Got my copy, before even breakfast itself I was compelled Enter the Dragon (Kong) and play through world 1 at least, so very, very good.
Some early points...
- The 3D effect can be pretty nice, stuff like falling leaves and moth/bug swarms sometimes pop out of areas in particular, the sunset shore stage has given off the most noticeable 3D effect so far.
- Remember in that one earlier thread where people were worrying about the controls because of one guys testimony? yeah well that guy must've just sucked, buttons are mapped to where they need to be, they have taken from the superior nunchuck control scheme where there is no run button, the circle pad dictates your speed, even blowing benefits from the lack of shake, huzzah!
- This has been bugging me since the first trailer, why the hell don't the toppling totems have glowing red eyes anymore?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
on Nintendolife they have the DL date as the 23, ohh well it's only tomorrow is if it not out today. cannot wait for this :)

Sinthetic

Just played the first couple of levels, very good impressions so far.

The game itself is perfect for short burst play, so this is recommended to you guys that like to play as you travel etc...

The 3D effect has a lot of depth and is sharp. Colours are vivid, I'm really impressed with the backgrounds and foliage.

Controls are easy to get into, I did detect some slight issues with trying to quick turn using the Circle Pad, but I'm sure that's just going to take some trial and error until I get it locked. Rolling and slapping is very satisfying, jumping and hovering feels fully controlled too. L/R aren't my favourite parts of the 3DS (perhaps better on the XL) but I found using L to grab to be pretty good.

I did detect slowdown, but nothing that would be enough to stop me wanting to play. I believe I had some slowdown at a barrel section in 1-1 and a climbing section with the plants in 1-2.

All in all, an excellent game for an excellent system.

Murrah

Banned
Anyone else order from newegg during that 7 dollar off deal last month? Mine still hasn't shipped. I've ordered from newegg plenty of times, just never preordered a game from there before so I dunno what to expect. Was hoping it would get here before I had an eight hour road trip this weekend, but I guess I'll just have to try and not drown beneath the waves of my own disappointment

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Anyone else order from newegg during that 7 dollar off deal last month? Mine still hasn't shipped. I've ordered from newegg plenty of times, just never preordered a game from there before so I dunno what to expect. Was hoping it would get here before I had an eight hour road trip this weekend, but I guess I'll just have to try and not drown beneath the waves of my own disappointment

Mine hasn't either, but I did get the "Payment charged" email. It will probably ship today/tomorrow.

also

Banned
Just played the first couple of levels, very good impressions so far.

The game itself is perfect for short burst play, so this is recommended to you guys that like to play as you travel etc...

The 3D effect has a lot of depth and is sharp. Colours are vivid, I'm really impressed with the backgrounds and foliage.

Controls are easy to get into, I did detect some slight issues with trying to quick turn using the Circle Pad, but I'm sure that's just going to take some trial and error until I get it locked. Rolling and slapping is very satisfying, jumping and hovering feels fully controlled too. L/R aren't my favourite parts of the 3DS (perhaps better on the XL) but I found using L to grab to be pretty good.

I did detect slowdown, but nothing that would be enough to stop me wanting to play. I believe I had some slowdown at a barrel section in 1-1 and a climbing section with the plants in 1-2.

All in all, an excellent game for an excellent system.

Can you post the whole controls configuration? Is it customizable?

Rootbeer

Banned
Waiting for my copy to ship from new egg... awwww yeah! :D Still in awe of the stunning game lineup 3DS has for us this year... it's just... wow.

StatsChu

Neo Member
So angry that I missed out on the Newegg deal. Is Bestbuy the only place in the US with a preorder bonus (I already own Super Mario Lost Levels)? Maybe I'll purchase at Fry's or Best Buy tomorrow.

bumpkin

Last night I just realized that this was coming out tomorrow (Friday). Weird. Nintendo releases usually seem to fall on Sundays, I wonder why DKCR is on a Friday.

Cody_D165

Banned
As much as I loved DKCR I don't see enough incentive to pick it up twice.

Maybe if I can find it on sale someday or something.

Top Bottom