• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

ibfueZLi1WJUkg.gif

I've played snippets of games from the franchise but no more than a stage.

It's funny, I had a girlfriend who loved the games and played through them all. I just never bothered.

Default is Circle pad,I chose D-Pad 1st but I think I prefer the layout of Circle pads controls so switched back, its a shame i can't customize.

The controls are mapped to either:

Circle pad:

Crouch: Push down

Ground Pound: X/Y

Roll: Push right + X/Y

Dismount Rabi: L/R

D-Pad:

Ground Pound: L/R

Roll: Push right +L/R

Blow: Push down + L/R

Dismount Rabi: Push down +X/Y

Khaz

I usually buy cartridges except for games that have a huge replayability that I may want to keep on me at all time (like Mario kart and Animal crossing), is Donkey kong one of those?

Ein Bear

Just played through the first world.

Game's great! Never played this on Wii, so it's all new to me, but I'm really enjoying the level design so far. Am playing on Original mode for the authentic experience, and am enjoying how fairly tricky it is.

Though the framerate is a little disappointing. I don't mind the cut from 60fps to 30fps, but even the 30fps framerate isn't as solid as I'd like.

Alpha_eX

Why does changing between Dpad and Circle Pad toggle use of the shoulder buttons? It makes no sense, still, it's a lot better than having to hack your Wii to use a controller.

Anyone else order from newegg during that 7 dollar off deal last month? Mine still hasn't shipped. I've ordered from newegg plenty of times, just never preordered a game from there before so I dunno what to expect. Was hoping it would get here before I had an eight hour road trip this weekend, but I guess I'll just have to try and not drown beneath the waves of my own disappointment

I ordered through that deal, got the two notification emails early in the day and the shipping notice email sometime in the afternoon.

I'm going to smash through this entirely too fast at this rate, but those 8 new stages, they must be mine!
At least i've got that turd of a puzzle piece at the end of Cannon Cluster out of the way where you have to drag the barrel through the barrage of canon fire, probably one of the games lesser stages that one where the randomness of the cannons can lead to one big waiting game at points, fortunately the 2 stages that follow are top tier, Tidal Terror takes 3D and wears it with pride.
I just wish I had an XL right now, it'd be handy for the parts where the camera zooms out.

My Amazon copy is preparing to ship! Hooray! Also I just finished Luigi's Mansion last night so I'm all ready to go!

So should I play on babby mode or OG mode?

Murrah

Banned
I ordered through that deal, got the two notification emails early in the day and the shipping notice email sometime in the afternoon.

Thanks, just checked and yeah, got the first two emails a few hours ago and the shipping one less than an hour ago. Gettin' sorta pumped for this now

-GJ-

Got this one for free with Nintendo's buy 3, get 1 for free special. I have no idea when I'm getting my code, though. Can't wait to play it.

Velcro Fly

Shipped from Newegg

Probably not going to get it until Tuesday because Monday is Memorial Day.

Can't decide if I want to play some of my 3DS backlog or play some platformers to get myself hyped.

Either way, I am ready for Dragon Kong

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Default is Circle pad,I chose D-Pad 1st but I think I prefer the layout of Circle pads controls so switched back, its a shame i can't customize.

The controls are mapped to either:

Circle pad:

Ground Pound: X/Y

Roll: Push right + X/Y

Dismount Rabi: L/R

D-Pad:

Ground Pound: L/R

Roll: Push right +L/R

Blow: Push down + L/R

Dismount Rabi: Push down +X/Y
Why would they do this?!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
The controls for the dpad aren't that bad considering X/Y is sprint, which I prefer over L/R. The framerate is decent at 30fps, but I've only played a level and a half and already had an area where there was noticeable slowdown. Still, DKC:R on the go is a nice thing to have.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
Still haven't played the Wii version, how's the port job? Patrick Klepek said there were framerate issues at a Nintendo event.

Any Club Nintendo points?

btw, is this free game code somehow still locked to PAL devices?

cause if not I wonder if anyone's selling them

I imagine it will be, but who knows. I'm certainly not willing to volunteer my code for testing though :p There has to be some downside to this free games promotion though, so I'm very paranoid about the wording of "shortly after release".

Gambit

just bought this as my first digital download for a product that's also available at retail.

Downloading now (and the next hours probably)

Yuterald

Are there still Shiny Gold Medals to earn? I completely mastered the Wii game, Shiny Gold Medals and all, but I can't imagine the strict times needed for these medals to be the same with the new controls. Anyone try speed running stages yet? I may pick this up, but because I played SO much of the Wii version I may hold off for a bit. Just kind of curious about the time trial stuff.

Drago

Shit.

I have a 15 hour long road trip on Saturday, and all I want to play on it is this game. I have already played this, beat it, massively enjoyed it a few years ago on Wii, and if it were any other time I'd have no desire to buy/play this game again... but here I am, wanting this for my trip.

Damn you and your impeccable timing, Nintendo. :(

Neiteio

Shit.

I have a 15 hour long road trip on Saturday, and all I want to play on it is this game. I have already played this, beat it, massively enjoyed it a few years ago on Wii, and if it were any other time I'd have no desire to buy/play this game again... but here I am, wanting this for my trip.

Damn you and your impeccable timing, Nintendo. :(
So, uh, are you worried you won't be able to acquire it in time? Because the download goes live at midnight tonight (North America).

Peterthumpa

For those who are already playing, is there some kind of AA or the game is similar to the jaggy screens available at the shop? Maybe disabling the 3D to check if there's a difference?

Ein Bear

For those who are already playing, is there some kind of AA or the game is similar to the jaggy screens available at the shop? Maybe disabling the 3D to check if there's a difference?

It's pretty jaggy, yeah. I don't think there's any AA in either 3D or 2D mode.

Drago

So, uh, are you worried you won't be able to acquire it in time? Because the download goes live at midnight tonight (North America).
I'd be buying it in a store tomorrow, leaving on Saturday morning

I was just commenting on my weakness :p

Surfheart

Just played through the first world.

Game's great! Never played this on Wii, so it's all new to me, but I'm really enjoying the level design so far. Am playing on Original mode for the authentic experience, and am enjoying how fairly tricky it is.

Though the framerate is a little disappointing. I don't mind the cut from 60fps to 30fps, but even the 30fps framerate isn't as solid as I'd like.

That's dissapointing. Not so sure I'll double dip in that case.

Does the framerate hold up as well as in Mario 3D Land? 3D Land was 30FPS compared to the Galaxy games' 60, and they played similarly, but I didn't notice 3D Land's lower FPS at all.

I'd be more paranoid about the game card slipping down a vent when I go to change it!

#teamventless

Top Bottom