• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

Linius

Well that's a bummer. I have a giftcard for quite a big electronics store so I expected to pick it up today but they won't receive the game till next week :(

Guess that gives me time to finish Luigi first.

OmegaFax

Ended up doing a pre-order at Best Buy for the Super Mario Bros. 2 promotion this morning. I figure that + K-Mart price match Sunday might not be a bad deal.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
woo Hoo Picked it up in Game in Hamley's for 34.99 and got the bag/banana stuff as well, again shame not to have a dl copy but it's cool :)

I don't like the roll button being the same as the blow button. I've rolled off edges 6 times in the first two levels. Is there a way to separate them?

TentPole

Played a couple hours last night and as an owner of the wii game I still think the game is worth the purchase, but the frame rate is absolutely not stable. It is pretty close to Castlevania levels of stutter. Though to be fair I didn't think it was a game-breaker there either. But don't let anyone down play it if a steady frame rate is a big deal to you.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Picking this up tonight along with a bunch of Steam/GOG games. Are there actual online leadboards this time and how does the 3D hold up?

TentPole

Picking this up tonight along with a bunch of Steam/GOG games. Are there actual online leadboards this time and how does the 3D hold up?

I don't think there are leaderboards but the 3D is fantastic. It feels like the game was made for 3D to the point where I wonder if this port was already being planned during the initial development.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Bought this and downloaded from the eShop last night. I don't know when I'll play it, but I really want to.

I own the Wii version but only played like 3 stages, this time I plan on beating this fucker!

ArynCrinn

Banned
I don't think there are leaderboards but the 3D is fantastic. It feels like the game was made for 3D to the point where I wonder if this port was already being planned during the initial development.

Nice, so I guess I'll just keep playing the Dolphin version and doing my speedruns that way.

But this is one of the very few I'm excited for the 3D.

Nintendo has joined the dark side(Unless I missed them doing this previously)
9oBlYp3.jpeg

diffusionx

Gold Member
Looking forward to getting my copy of Dragon Kong today. I rented the Wii version, loved it to bits, bought the game, and barely played it. It just got steamrolled by the backlog.

ArynCrinn

Banned
It just bothers me that a game that is essentially designed for speeduns (NSMBU too for that matter), gets no kind of any competitive leaderboard support. It just boggles my mind, isn't the first examples from Nintendo either.

That's the only reason I still play the new Rayman demo!

kubus

Those who chose this as their free game in the So Many Games promotion, did you receive your code yet?

Edit: Ah nevermind, just read you can find it on your club nintendo page.

This is a disappointment after the original DKC, the controls are laggy as fuck :( and the button configuration when using the d-pad is terrible.

n64coder

Shipped from Newegg

Probably not going to get it until Tuesday because Monday is Memorial Day.

I also ordered from Newegg and it just showed up today. So maybe you'll have the same luck? The package shows that it shipped from CA (I live in MA and usually get stuff from Newegg's NJ warehouse).

Got my copy in today. Amazon shipped it in a freaking huge box (like the same size my GoW: Ascension LE came in).

Won't be able to play it till I get home from work later tonight, though.

massoluk

Banned
May be it's in my mind, but the control seemed off for some reason. Hard to explain, could never move like how I played on the Wii.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
just got my copy. Can't wait to try this out

also, third game get for the Free 3DS Game promotion. Feels good man

Neiteio

I just played the first four levels (including Sunset Shores). This is EXCELLENT. I say this as someone who beat the Wii version and who regularly plays games at 60fps on PC. The 30fps framerate here seems fine -- it never distracted me with any dips -- and the gameplay, of course, is excellent. The 3D effect looks LOVELY, everything so crisp and clear. But the best part is absolutely having buttons for the rolling, blowing and ground-pounding. Everything is so snappy and responsive that I find myself feeling much more daring now. And it's just amazing that seemingly every bit of detail has been retained. INCREDIBLE!

I just played the first four levels (including Sunset Shores). This is EXCELLENT. I say this as someone who beat the Wii version and who regularly plays games at 60fps on PC. The 30fps framerate here seems fine -- it never distracted me with any dips -- and the gameplay, of course, is excellent. The 3D effect looks LOVELY, everything so crisp and clear. But the best part is absolutely having buttons for the rolling, blowing and ground-pounding. Everything is so snappy and responsive that I find myself feeling much more daring now. And it's just amazing that seemingly every bit of detail has been retained. INCREDIBLE!

yay! I trust your opinion and your game tastes usually sync with mine.

SO HAPPY!

Picked my copy up from GameStop this morning. I wish I didn't have so much homework and work-work to do for the next couple weeks. The summer can't come fast enough!

Awesome news!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Very nice. I had high hopes for this game, and you just confirmed all of them.

Hale-XF11

I didn't play the original, so I can't compare, but this game looks and plays great. Controls feel good. Finished the first world and haven't noticed any dips in framerate yet. Sunset Shores is so dreamy in 3D. This game is beautiful. The music is awesome. The only thing I wish it had I guess would be online leaderboards for speed runs.

Pikma

Banned
Waiting for this to arrive early next week. I did play the original but didn't finish it, motion controls kept me from doing it.

aett

I played a few levels last night and tried both control choices. I feel like it would be a massive improvement if they let us map the buttons ourselves because each setup has things I like and dislike. The control pad just isn't very good for quick movements and for all the times you need to push Down to blow flowers/etc, but using L/R as the primary action buttons doesn't feel right to me, either.

I'll keep trying both of them to see what feels right.

Neiteio

This game really does look spectacular. I'm playing on my XL; I haven't tried it on my OG yet. I'd like to pile some praise on Sunset Shores in particular. As others have said, it looks utterly incredible in 3D. I felt like I was inside a moving painting. The foreground foliage, silhouetted in black, ensconces your field of vision... like a soft velvety blanket of JUNGLE LOVE.

Also, I'm playing on New Mode. I beat the original DKCR on Wii, so I'm not fussing too much over "challenge," although this game still manages to be plenty challenging in New Mode, or at least when you play as recklessly as me, lol. (I barrel-roll off every edge and jump mid-air because #YOLO)

I couldn't get into the Wii version because of the controls, but I so very much wanted to like it.

You and me both. Traded mine in a while back towards a Vita, but now I'm definitely gonna jump back in. DKC is one of my favorite SNES franchises and this game was good outside of the control issue...and the brutal difficulty.

You played exactly as far as I did last night, I never played the Wii version but I can confirm that Sunset Shores is just stunning. Couple of framerate drops but I was actively looking for them, having heard such bad things about it, and they weren't too drastic. Controls really well, feels like it's going to be an awesome platformer. Can't wait to play more this weekend.

Neiteio

You and me both. Traded mine in a while back towards a Vita, but now I'm definitely gonna jump back in. DKC is one of my favorite SNES franchises and this game was good outside of the control issue...and the brutal difficulty.
Yeah, the switch to buttons here is like sweet relief. Don't get me wrong, the Wii controls were functional, and I beat the game with them, but man, there was always an emergency brake in my mind, poised on the cusp of reigning in a rolling streak, out of fear the waggle would fail me. Buttons inspire much more confidence and take me back to the days of Rare's trilogy, although newcomers should note, DK is much weightier here. That's a plus, actually -- it really distinguishes this game from just about any other platformer out there.

Yuterald

Any DKCR vets here care to comment on the Time Trials? I can't seem to find any information on whether or not if the Shiny Gold Medal time requirements are as difficult as they used to be. I got them all back on the Wii version and it was a pretty tough challenge. I imagine having the game controls mapped to traditional buttons would make it easier to blast through the levels. Just wondering if they altered the time to compensate for the "easier" difficulty or they left them the same so people could achieve them easily. I know the game just came out, but someone's gotta be on top of this, somewhere! =D

Playing this game for the first time and it's absolutely incredible. No issues at all with the framerate for me. I'm playing on classic mode, and the game is kicking my ass already in world 3. Hope I'll be able to manage. :)

My favorite levels so far are the two you have to 'buy' in world 1 and 2, the sunset level and the whale level. Is this on purpose, i.e. are all the buyable levels the most fun?

Playing this game for the first time and it's absolutely incredible. No issues at all with the framerate for me. I'm playing on classic mode, and the game is kicking my ass already in world 3. Hope I'll be able to manage. :)

My favorite levels so far are the two you have to 'buy' in world 1 and 2, the sunset level and the whale level. Is this on purpose, i.e. are all the buyable levels the most fun?

I don't know if they're the most fun, but they're definitely all great. I mean, pretty much every single one of the 70-ish (now 80-ish?) levels in the game is amazing. You're in for a hell of a ride.

Leaving to get this in a few minutes. So excited! Dragon Kong demands a sacrifice from my wallet...

OmegaFax

I just started the second world.

The controls take a bit getting used to. I found myself switching between analog and d-pad modes depending on the level. I really wish there was some sort of "combined" control scheme. It's easier to concentrate on platforming and climb with the d-pad scheme but there's times where the analog mode feels more accessible for chain rolling and finding secrets.

played the first few levels and I love it. You can tell the frame rate is a little off but it doesn't take away from the experience at all, game is beautiful. I can't decide if I like the Dpad or Circle pad controls more. (I think you kind of need to switch back and forth)

Great addition to the 3DS library.

Velcro Fly

I also ordered from Newegg and it just showed up today. So maybe you'll have the same luck? The package shows that it shipped from CA (I live in MA and usually get stuff from Newegg's NJ warehouse).

Mine shipped from NJ and I live in Indiana near Chicago.

It's in Indy right now so I would definitely get it Monday if not for the holiday.

I've had stuff from Newegg ship from Memphis basically arrive overnight so no complaints from me.

Top Bottom