• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Football Thread (Soccer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
If you're going to try and create a thread that pertains to an entire sport, how about NOT starting so partisan... and f'ing Man U of all teams.

Chelsea to repeat.

Ryck

Socreges said:
If you're going to try and create a thread that pertains to an entire sport, how about NOT starting so partisan... and f'ing Man U of all teams.

Chelsea to repeat.
Im kidding :p But seriously Im really excited about the upcoming season, games every weekend, repeats of games that weren't shown all week man I can't wait.....and hey whats wrong with Man U they were third in the league, is thinking they could win it all that far fetched?

Socreges

Banned
Ryck said:
Im kidding :p But seriously Im really excited about the upcoming season, games every weekend, repeats of games that weren't shown all week man I can't wait.....and hey whats wrong with Man U they were third in the league, is thinking they could win it all that far fetched?
Their easy-to-hate nature. You could cause a shitstorm in a hurry with a start like that. ;)

Ryck

Socreges said:
Their easy-to-hate nature. You could cause a shitstorm in a hurry with a start like that. ;)
Yeah I kinda stole the formula of the topic starter of the MLB thread.......forgot how passionate Football fans can be.......*backs away*

mutsu

Liverpool all the way man.

Look at the players we've bought in, our team has improved ten-fold over last seasons. We managed to win Champions League last season, so sky's the limit this season for us!

Ryck

mutsu said:
Liverpool all the way man.

Look at the players we've bought in, our team has improved ten-fold over last seasons. We managed to win Champions League last season, so sky's the limit this season for us!
If they get Figo watch out! Looks like they are trying to sign him.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
mrpingu's going to KILL you.

Pfff, your squad's a bit better, but aside from Crouch and Reina, I can't see them breaking into the first team. Well, maybe Zenden, but I don't think he's any better than Riise.

I said in the old thread that I thought Man Utd might just sneak second place from Arsenal this year, but now I'm not so sure. I'm not unsure enough to tip Arsenal ahead yet (Baptista's going to Real btw if that news hasn't been posted), but I've seen a couple of Man Utd's games on this Asia tour and the players look absolutely miserable. Not their play, the expressions. I don't know if it's really hot out there and it's too tiring or what, but damn did they look glum.

You look at Chelsea's team spirit and how positive everything is, then you look at Man U...well, what can you say? The Glazer takeover, some fans abandoning ship, Ferdinand refusing to sign a £100,000 a week contract and being booed by fans each game, Ferdinand and Van Nistelrooy falling out on the pitch, Keane and Ferguson falling out over the Asian tour...these are all terrible signs! So until that mess is sorted out, I don't think they have a hope in hell of catching Chelsea, and assuming Arsenal's team spirit hasn't been broken by Vieira leaving, it'll be hard to keep up with them too.

Ryck

Mama Smurf said:

Pfff, your squad's a bit better, but aside from Crouch and Reina, I can't see them breaking into the first team. Well, maybe Zenden, but I don't think he's any better than Riise.

I said in the old thread that I thought Man Utd might just sneak second place from Arsenal this year, but now I'm not so sure. I'm not unsure enough to tip Arsenal ahead yet (Baptista's going to Real btw if that news hasn't been posted), but I've seen a couple of Man Utd's games on this Asia tour and the players look absolutely miserable. Not their play, the expressions. I don't know if it's really hot out there and it's too tiring or what, but damn did they look glum.

You look at Chelsea's team spirit and how positive everything is, then you look at Man U...well, what can you say? The Glazer takeover, some fans abandoning ship, Ferdinand refusing to sign a £100,000 a week contract and being booed by fans each game, Ferdinand and Van Nistelrooy falling out on the pitch, Keane and Ferguson falling out over the Asian tour...these are all terrible signs! So until that mess is sorted out, I don't think they have a hope in hell of catching Chelsea, and assuming Arsenal's team spirit hasn't been broken by Vieira leaving, it'll be hard to keep up with them too.
Yeah Baptista's staying in Spain no doubt about that ( eek Real getting Robinho and Baptista and they prolly still won't win La Liga or Champions league :lol ) And I agree about the Players looking bad I was watching the higlights and saw Rudd taking cheapshots and generally looking down...I like Rudd and all but maybe it's time for Saha and Smith to take over in the front ( preferably Saha since Smith is moving to Midfield) I mean Rooney alone is a goal scoring machine, and Rudd is still trying to make up for last year and is prolly going to be more bad than good ( tho I do hope he pulls it together soon). Who is mrpingu?

Mama Smurf

pingu.jpg

I don't see Rooney as a goalscoring machine myself. To me he's a player who can score goals no one else will, creates goals for others, scores plenty...but he's not going to be an Henry or a Van Nistelrooy or, looking to the past, an Andy Cole, an Owen, a Shearer.

Which is fine, great even. If you have both it's perfect, which they do. Assuming Van Nistelrooy regains his form.

Strangely enough, I see Rooney as more of a goalscoring threat for England than domestically. I think it's the room and space he gets internationally compared to the hectic, no time play of the Premiership.

Alucard

Banned
Chelsea's pretty stacked again this year. I think they're definitely the favourites to repeat, especially if they can still get Essien. There were even rumours this week that they were interested in getting Shevchenko from AC Milan. (don't think it will happen, and Chelsea has denied the rumours) If that doesn't buy you a championship, I don't know what will. They also have Crespo back, which gives them another threat up front. And I still think Drogba is shit.

Go Arsenal! I really wish they would pick up another midfielder though...Hleb should hopefully be a nice addition at least.

Man U is staying third.

Solid

sorry reds, it's already over.

wallpaper12-800.jpg

and this time i really, REALLY WANT TO WIN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE! go chelsea!

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
Mama Smurf said:

I'm pissed. You've stolen my GAF baby, Ryck, you bastard. :D

I'm going to be quite blunt here, regarding The Premiership. Chelsea have already won it, no team in the league can beat them over 38 games and Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal fans can argue all they want, but Chelsea are just too good for your respective sides over the season.

Hooker

anthony said:
Go on spurs!

Andy Van Dermayde and Davids are comin!!!!

woot!
At least spell their names properly; Andy van der Meyde & Edgar Davids. Plus, this wasn't your thread to make :/

manchester united played terrible the other day against the japanese j league team. i just can't see them doing anything next season, nistelrooy, saha and rooney are shit, alex really should have gone after michael owen, a player who will get you 20-30 goals a season. and why was kleberson playing for them? i thought aston villa had bought him?

Solid

Wax Free Vanilla said:
and why was kleberson playing for them? i thought aston villa had bought him?
i think you are mixing him up with djemba djemba, which now plays at aston villa. kleberson is rumoured to be on his way to celta vigo.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Chelsea beat D.C United 2-1 last night, the game was on ESPN2 but the announcers were freaking terrible. Called Mourinho "Ho-say" and were generally clueless.

Duff had a really sweet goal. D.C. scored off a corner. Mourninho was in midseason form yelling at the Jarosic (sp?) guy who looked pretty bad all night.

Falch

Hooker said:
At least spell their names properly; Andy van der Meyde & Edgar Davids. Plus, this wasn't your thread to make :/

Plus, those players aren't that great anyway (well, perhaps for the spurs :)). They'll never make it into the Dutch team anymore.

Anyway, there's a friendly tournament going on in Amsterdam between Ajax, Arsenal, Porto and Boca Juniors. Arsenal beat Ajax 1-0, Porto defeated Boca 2-0.

Btw, I'm rooting for PSV Eindhoven again this year. Sure, they've lost Park, Van Bommel and Vogel, but they've bought some new players (Simons and Vayrynen), and hired Ferreyra. Plus, if all goes we'll, they'll be buying the biggest striker talent in the Dutch competition, Salomon Kalou, from Feyenoord. That would really make my day. Besides, I think that's the only thing PSV is missing in it's squad, a real goalgetter. And he's only 19 years old, lots of room to improve even futher.

I'd say the only real competition PSV is going to have is Ajax.

Shinobi

Guileless said:
Chelsea beat D.C United 2-1 last night, the game was on ESPN2 but the announcers were freaking terrible. Called Mourinho "Ho-say" and were generally clueless.

Duff had a really sweet goal. D.C. scored off a corner. Mourninho was in midseason form yelling at the Jarosic (sp?) guy who looked pretty bad all night.

Heh, one guy who called the highlights up here said that Duff "Van Bastened" that goal. :lol Man, hard to believe it's been 17 years since that goal was scored. It's about the only goal I remember from him, but I remember me and my schoolmates trying to imitate it for months. Only Maradona's wizardy in '86 beats it for the best goal I've ever seen.

As far as the EPL goes, there's nothing to argue...if Chelsea doesn't win it, they should be embarassed and ashamed of themselves. As an Arsenal fan I haven't expected much until the new grounds are ready anyhow, which is what made the 2004 season such a pleasant surprise. So second would be fine with me, along with another FA Cup. But more then anything, I wanna see some progress made in the Champions League. Alas, I think their best chance to advance in that tournament with the current core has already past them by.

There have been some funny pre-season results...United losing in Asia, Madrid getting their doors blown off over there, and Sunderland lost to the Vancouver fucking Whitecaps. Frankly, I don't think it's a big deal...preseason's all about tuning up, getting back into playing shape and staying healthy, and if you get a result it's gravy.

Hard to believe the Scottish Premier League kicks off this weekend...how long is their off-season, three weeks?

DJ_Tet

Banned
Guileless said:

"Jose Mourinho is a WANKER" :lol :lol :lol

"He's also a pretty good coach" :lol

Shinobi said:
As far as the EPL goes, there's nothing to argue...if Chelsea doesn't win it, they should be embarassed and ashamed of themselves. As an Arsenal fan I haven't expected much until the new grounds are ready anyhow, which is what made the 2004 season such a pleasant surprise. So second would be fine with me, along with another FA Cup. But more then anything, I wanna see some progress made in the Champions League. Alas, I think their best chance to advance in that tournament with the current core has already past them by.

Indeed. You could make a compelling case for Mourinho being a failure deserving of the sack of Chelsea don't at least retain the title this season. They really ought to be winning the CL too, anything less than such a double is dismal considering their resources.

Anyway now to get nitty gritty.

Imo Chelsea will win the league again. Having unlimited wealth makes that kinda easy.

Manchester United will come 2nd and Arsenal 3rd. The Red Scousers will come 4th but will be 10+ points behind Arsenal (again).

We(ManU) haven't changed much but really we didn't need to. This season hopefully we'll have more than Rooney and Smith fit for long stretches of the season. Our goal total was terrible last year and it cannot repeat itself. Ruud started preseason will with 5goals in 90mins but he's been very wasteful in Asia. Ronaldo is looking outstanding atm and I can see him finally breaking the double figures in goals. Rooney will bag another 20, his goal today was beautiful reminded me of Eric. What does concern me is the dodgy formations, Rooney has to start playing off Ruud no more of this left wing bollocks.

Arsenal need to get the finger out, they've sold Vierra and yes they have very good young midfielders but I reckon they need some experience in there. Theres also talk of Campbell going but I don't see it myself.

Liverpool are better but they are still miles behind the top 3, I expect dodgy losses followed by great wins again. They won't retain the Champions League.

Mama Smurf

Celtic drew 4-4 with Motherwell. 3-1 up at half time, down to 3-4, then an injury time goal saved them.

Just looking through Celtic's fictures last season, they didn't concede 4 goals once. Not against Milan, not against Rangers. And in the first two games of the season, they;ve conceded 9.

Good job the transfer window's still open eh!

What does concern me is the dodgy formations, Rooney has to start playing off Ruud no more of this left wing bollocks.

I don't understand this formation. Is Ferguson that desperate to be Chelsea? They should play to their strengths, not some other teams, and Man Utd's best players clearly suit a 4-4-2 (see: FA Cup final).

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Good job the transfer window's still open eh!

Who are they gonna buy? Good defenders are hard to come by these days.

Anyway onto more important things, the EPL.

Interesting season in the EPL, we finally get to see what arsenal can do without Viera and maybe even a glimpse of Man U without Keane.

Chelsea have struggled to find their striker, seems like every club in the world raises their prices 300% when they see Kenyon at their doorstep, Crespo already stank up the premiership once...mind you these days Chelsea will have all kinds of amazing service flying into him so he might be just the man for the job.

It would be a major shock if Chelsea didnt win again this season domestically, the only team that has actually improved squad wise behind them is Liverpool (just by virtue of the fact that Dudec is out of the team). If Rio can get his life sorted out (what the fuck is he waiting for?) then Man U will have a stronger season...thats about it.

I think the top 3 will be the same as last season, Liverpool will start bright, as all clubs do when their season starts early (especially when they became European champions a few months back), but they wont be able to keep up the pace, the longer they go on in the champions league the more their league position will suffer.

Personally im just praying West Ham dont finish too far adrift at the bottom of the table, look out for Marlon Harewood to be the premierships least accurate striker this season. Ive never seen a player miss so many 1 on 1's, he'll make last seasons Kanu look like classic Kanu.

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
Strachan must be sacked, and an attempt to bring in a quality manager must be made as soon as possible.

Bring in Le Guen and offer him £30 million, Desmond, you fucking tight-fisted wanker.

Our season is a write-off if this clown remains in charge of our football club.

Mama Smurf

Ghost said:
Who are they gonna buy? Good defenders are hard to come by these days.

Maybe, but competent defenders are all over the place. And if you look hard enough, you can buy good defenders for cheap. Blackburn picked up Ryan Nelsen for free in January and Mokoena for £300,000 (we generally play him in a Makelele role, but he's a centre back too), both the captains of their countries (New Zealand and South Africa respectively).

And if you're not sure how good Blackburn's defence was last year, we conceded the 7th least goals in the Premiership, despite finishing 15th. 33 before we bought them, 10 after (Chelsea conceded 7 in that time, Man Utd 13, Arsenal 11). 1.5 goals conceded per game before, 0.625 after. You don't have to break the budget and buy big names to get good defenders.

Crespo already stank up the premiership once

No he didn't, he scored 10 goals in 13 Premiership starts, 19 including substitute appearances. That's as many as Drogba and only 2 behind Gudjohnsen (who played twice as many games). I don't even need to point out how much better it is than Kezman was.

EDIT: Just to make that defensive record once we'd bought the two players even more impressive, I'll point out we did indeed play the top 9 teams in those 16 games.

Falch

Yeah about Kezman, really sad to see him score so little goals last season. In the four years he played for PSV, he scored 105 times in 122 matches. Made four goals in one match twice.

Let's hope he'll do better at Atlético Madrid.

Ryck

Soccernet.com said:
Owen in limbo: Robinho signed

Real Madrid have announced that Robinho will join the Spanish giants from Santos on a five-year deal on August 25 in a move which could have serious implications for Michael Owen.
Real, who have been chasing the 21-year-old since the winter transfer window, confirmed the impending arrival of the player with a statement on the club's official website.

'Real Madrid and Santos have arrived at an agreement for the transfer of Robinho,' it said.

Robinho's arrival will bring the number of Brazilian strikers at a club coached by a Brazilian, Wanderley Luxemburgo, to three.

A £17million move for Sevilla's Julio Baptista was completed last night and Ronaldo is already in place.

Meanwhile, Madrid favourite and Spain international Raul is thought to be untouchable.

Owen, who did not secure a starting place following his move to the Bernabeu last summer, has been linked with a return to England with Arsenal and Newcastle said to be among those interested.

Neither Santos not Real Madrid have confirmed a fee, although it is thought Robinho - one of the hottest properties in world football - will cost Madrid around £20million.

Robinho was strongly linked with Premiership champions Chelsea earlier in the summer, but the player clearly indicated his preferred destination after starring for Brazil in their successful Confederations Cup campaign in June.

'My desire is to play for Real Madrid,' he said after Brazil's 4-1 win over Argentina in the final of the competition.

'I want to leave Santos and I want to resolve this quickly. I don't have the mind to play here again.

'Real Madrid are the best club in the world. I will only leave to go to Madrid.'

Real came close to securing Robinho's signature late last year, but the deal was postponed when his mother was kidnapped on November 6. She was later released on December 17.

However, when Luxemburgo - who steered Santos to the 2004 Brazilian championship - took over as coach of Real Madrid on December 30, speculation mounted that Robinho would move to Spain.

The move failed to materialise in January, with Robinho insisting that he was happy at Santos.

However the appeal of playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world has ultimately proved too much to resist.

Last season Real finished second to champions Barcelona in the Primera Liga, and finished the campaign without a trophy for the second season in a row.

Wow....

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
If Owen has any sense he'll leave, he'd probably be their top scorer if they let him play but because he's not gonna score from 30 yards they wont.

Yeah, sadly it looks like Owen is on his way out. Sure, Baptista can play in the midfield, but he can also play up front whenever is needed. Add Robinho, Raul and the emergence of Soldado and there doesn't seem to be much room. Too bad because I think he could be a very valuable regular partner for Ronaldo, especially with the poor form Raul has shown during the last couple of years.

I have no idea is what the lineup will be. We know Raul won't be benched no matter how much he is sucking. My best guess would be something like there:

--------------------------------CASILLAS----------------------------
SALGADO--------WOODGATE-------------HELGUERA--------R. CARLOS
--------------------------------GRAVESEN--------------------------------
BECKHAM------------------------------------------------------ROBINHO
---------------------------------ZIDANE-----------------------------------
------------------------------------------------RAUL-----------------------
----------------------------RONALDO-------------------------------------

Bench:
Baptista
Pavon
Guti
Soldado
Garcia
Diogo
etc...

I guess that's the most probable formation, with Robinho obviously having a lot of freedom to go forward. Zidane will go back to the middle as Luxa said, to let him create more and hopefully Raul will find some rythm, because I'd be sick if he continues to play like he did last season.

Shinobi

Premiership clubs on Owen alert
Real seal Robinho deal

Arsenal and Manchester United may move for Michael Owen after his Real Madrid future was threatened by the signings of Robinho and Julio Baptista.

Owen looks to be on his way out of The Bernabeu after only one season after the Spanish giants confirmed deals for Robinho and Baptista.

The 25-year-old England striker had a successful first season and Real, but spent many games on the bench.

And he is unlikely to accept a further drop down the pecking order.

Arsenal may be tempted to move for Owen after seeing Baptista taken from under their noses by Real after coming close to sealing a £14m move.

And United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is a long-time admirer of Owen and has been linked with him throughout the summer.

Liverpool may also be alerted by the possible availability of their former striker, although it is understood manager Rafael Benitez does not want Owen and has just spent £7m on Peter Crouch.

Owen has stressed he is happy at Real, but he may now accept he has to move with the World Cup looming in Germany next summer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4730405.stm

Man, I would love to see Owen at Highbury/Ashburn Grove...always been a big fan of his, even when he cost us the FA Cup a few years ago. I can't believe he's only 25 (seems he's been around forever)...he's still got another 5 or 6 years left of prime football. I think a Henry/Owen pairing would take away much of the sting from the Veira loss still felt by fans.

Hopefully this is sorted out soon...my parents are in England right now, and I wanted them to grab me a couple soccer jerseys. With any luck, an Arsenal Owen jersey will be one of 'em!

Mama Smurf

I'm not sure Owen fits in the Arsenal team the way they play...but that's a good thing. Arsenal have had such trouble in recent years changing things up when their usual gameplan isn't working (see their games against Bayern Munich), if they're not going to get someone big like Crouch to smack the ball up to, a scrappy little player like Owen who'll score no matter how poorly he might be playing is perfect.

I've been pretty happy with Blackburn's preseason so far (especially when I see so many clubs losing to lower opposition).

Morecambe 2 Blackburn 2
1860 Munich 1 Blackburn 1
Real Mallorca 0 Blackburn 2
Swansea City 1 Blackburn 4

My only slight worry is Bellamy hasn't scored yet (not that he played against Swansea).

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
I hope Woodgate comes back and makes an impact. In his last season with Newcastle I watched him play against United in a 0-0 draw and his performance was amazing - this was when Man United were top of the league and on a winning streak.

As for Celtic, Strachan needs to goto the board and request some money for two defenders in the region of £5 million each, otherwise the season will be a write-off. If McLeish can get Boumsong to come to Rangers then anything is possible.

Solid

CHELSEA-MILAN, 1-1 FULL TIME (Drogba, Rui Costa)

so far, so good. anyone know when arsenal and chelsea play? in the community shield of whatever they call it.

Shinobi

Next Sunday, 3pm GMT. I'm gonna go down to a bar and check that game out, provided they're carrying it. Should be a nice preview for the first EPL clash in a few weeks.

Mama Smurf

Few bits of footballing news around, though it's still very quiet generally.

Real Madrid are willing to let Owen go if he wants to, and I suspect he will. Wenger says he's not interested though and isn't looking for a new striker. Guess he was going to play Baptista in midfield. So Man Utd is the most likely destination it seems, which I'm still not sure about. Ok, let's say they sell Saha and Smith becomes a midfield player. Then they do indeed need another striker...but if Van Nistelrooy regains his form and Rooney doesn't fuck up, where's the room for Owen? It'd be nice to have the two England strikers on the same team domestically though.

Mourinho reckons Gerrard not moving to Chelsea was a mistake for him. I'm inclined to agree, but no doubt he's just pissed off half of Merseyside with his comments.

Oh and Arsenal are trying to sign a keeper (yey!) called...Viera. That's just taking the piss. 22 year old Uruguay international, plays for Nacional Montevideo (which sounds like a side you could buy from easily enough), aside from that I know nothing about him.

Oh and Everton lost 5-0 to Fenerbache. See you in the UEFA cup boys!

Mama Smurf

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4734305.stm

Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has claimed that Arsenal and Manchester United want to beat Chelsea to the signature of midfielder Michael Essien.

Hmmm. I'm not saying those teams aren't interested in the player, but that just looks like a really obvious and lame attempt at forcing Chelsea to bid more as soon as possible by pretending other clubs are going to outbid them.

I mean come on, Chelsea have already bid £21m for him. Can you honestly see Man Utd or Arsenal willing to pay more than that for him? Certainly not Arsenal, and I doubt United would be willing to (allowed to?) do it either.

I suppose the possibility is a player exchange thing (plus money). United could probably afford to let players go Lyon would actually want, but I don't think Arsenal could.

This isn't in that link, it's an older article:

"They shouldn't take French clubs for fools," said Aulas.

"Michael is worth between 45 and 50 million euros (£31-35million) and because time has been wasted if we are to recruit if Essien leaves us now, I estimate that our player will leave for 45 million euros, while bringing in one Chelsea player.

:lol Oh my god, £31m (minimum) AND a Chelsea player?! I never considered French clubs fools...until he said that! That's absolutely ridiculous, who does this guy think he is?

Solid

Aulas is a arrogant bastard. i've been following the essien affair for a long time and that dude never cease to amaze me.

Solid

ElyrionX said:
Wait, I thought Essien has already moved to Chelsea?
Nope. well chelsea want him and essien wants to go to chelsea. he even boycotted training for a week or so just to be transfered but aulas didnt give a shit :lol

hopefully they can agree a deal before it's too late.

Shinobi

Mama Smurf said:
Oh and Arsenal are trying to sign a keeper (yey!) called...Viera. That's just taking the piss.

:lol That's funny as fuck.

And Wenger not being interested in Owen is just bizarre to me. Maybe he's got an anti-English bias after all, heh. Though I suppose a midfielder is more important then a striker at this stage, and Arsenal's budget appears to be pretty tight.

Coen

I agree with Wenger. Michael Owen always comes of as the Tim Henman of football; only appreciated in his own country because they have no better strikers. Besides, with Henry, Bergkamp, Reyes, Ljunberg, Pires and van Persie, who needs Owen anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom