• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Take 2 might be partnering with FIFA for a new 2k soccer (football) game

TrebleShot

I’d love more competition for football games but I have zero faith this will be any good.

Isn’t 2k known for insane MTX in NBA ?

Is the gameplay realistic in those games because that’s the biggest issue with EAFC it plays like utter shit and may as well be rocket league with licensed players and teams

Normally I don’t use the past/nostalgia to bolster a point, but this is honestly 20 years too late.

The 2k of today doesn’t know what they’re doing with the NBA and WWE, so why would they suddenly figure it out with FIFA?

It's obviously a win-win situation for them, deal wise.

The brand is at an all-time low (in video games), so instead of the 4 billion USD that Fifa was paid by EA every four years, they might settle for a couple of billions less for the same deal.

Then get all the club/player licenses like FC24 currently does and then you have a fully fledged Fifa game (insert year number here), the brand that EA had built up for the past 25+ years, now against them. Huge PR move that will net them unit sales equal to EA Sports FC.

The only group losing here are us, the customers, from these gambling lootbox driven publishers. 2K is even more aggressive than EA, btw. Check their NBA 2K games recently and their gambling offerings.

Not much different from Fifa FUT, but even more egregious here with the gambling. Expect a lot of parents and their CC's getting charged in the $1000's if this deal goes through.

acm2000

FIFA are in for a real shock when they see how few copies this thing sells if its full priced game focuses solely on just the world cup

Kokoloko85

Id be down to buy/play any competition to EA’s football games.

EA doesnt do enough to update there football games, especially with all the money they make. Its awful how much effort they put in.
EA and Gamefreaks are the biggest stingy scrooge like game developers of all time

Ozriel

M$FT
It's obviously a win-win situation for them, deal wise.

The brand is at an all-time low (in video games), so instead of the 4 billion USD that Fifa was paid by EA every four years, they might settle for a couple of billions less for the same deal.

Then get all the club/player licenses like FC24 currently does and then you have a fully fledged Fifa game (insert year number here), the brand that EA had built up for the past 25+ years, now against them. Huge PR move that will net them unit sales equal to EA Sports FC.

This may well be the laziest fantasy I’ve seen here in ages.
Not only are you flat out wrong about what EA used to pay FIFA (not sure how you believe they were paying 4 billion in 4 years), but you seem completely clueless about the fact that everyone now knows the branding has changed to EA Sports FC. Didn’t you see the sales figures?

Put out a ‘FIFA’ branded game in a few years time and it’ll struggle in sales against FC. ‘Equal sales’ is a hoot.

FIfA doesn’t have the club licenses, so T2 would have to go negotiate those and hope EA doesn’t have exclusivity.

Last edited:

Mowcno

If true I'm honestly surprised it's not going to be a Fortnite game lol. Seems like the type of thing FIFA would go for after ditching EA.

Last edited:

xHunter

FIfA doesn’t have the club licenses, so T2 would have to go negotiate those and hope EA doesn’t have exclusivity.
Cant see them getting more than PES has, since EAs contract with FIFPro goes for another 8 years:

Unless they somehow create the best gameplay we have ever seen in a football game, this will sadly have no chance against EA.

i'm surprised Fifa didn't jump ship immediately to 2k after splitting with EA.

2k is just as awful as EA. It's all just gambling at this point. Sports fans are the easiest to milk. And the best part? you can groom children into becoming addicts!!! Literally cigarette companies' wet dream

Monkfish877

Hoping it's true, Fifa is trash. Gameplay is garbage and the graphics barely improve. PES always had the better gameplay, Fifa needs competition.

Top Bottom