• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony CEO Kaz Hirai: PS4 is first and foremost a game console

DieH@rd

Banned
Sony boss and gaming GIF jesus Kazuo Hirai has talked to the press today, confirming PS4's positioning as a GAMING DEVICE. Sure it will have entertaiment capabilities, multitasking and all the jazz, but Sony's focus is to create great gaming console and to capture big install base of gamers.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/30/s...dia-hub-and-says-playstation-4-is-for-gamers/
Sony CEO plays down ‘media hub’ and says PlayStation 4 is for gamers

Sony chief executive Kazuo Hirai said today that the PlayStation 4 will differ from Microsoft’s Xbox One, which is being pitched as an all-in-one entertainment box in the living room.

“I fundamentally believe that the initial market that we need to make sure we appeal to with any new platform … is really the gaming audience,” Hirai said. “They will be the supporters of your platform and they will help propel the installed base.”

He spoke at the D11 conference hosted by AllThingsD. He was joined by Jed York, the chief executive and owner of the San Francisco 49ers, and they talked about the fan experience Sony is helping to create for the 49ers’ new high-tech stadium in Santa Clara. He made the remarks in response to a question from moderator Walt Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal.

Hirai acknowledged the PS4 will have non-game applications. But Sony will not emphasize those at the outset as it did with the launch of the PlayStation 3 game console in 2006. The PS4 is coming out this fall.

He said Sony would add other entertainment apps, “But that’s after we establish the platform as a video game platform. We want to make sure that we are there for the gamers with our PS4 as well. They will go beyond this, but they’ll definitely start with gamer first.

He concluded, “For us, it’s all about the gamers.”

By contrast, Microsoft’s Xbox One unveiling had lots of apps that have nothing to do with games, from using voice commands to change TV channels to using Skype while watching shows.

http://allthingsd.com/20130530/kaz-...-first-and-foremost-a-game-player/?refcat=d11
Kaz Hirai: Sony PlayStation 4 Will Be First and Foremost a Game Player

Where Microsoft has positioned the Xbox One as much as an entertainment device as game console, Sony plans to tout its PlayStation 4 as primarily a device for games.

“The most important thing we need to make sure we do at least initially is that we all agree and understand that the PS4 is a great video game console that appeals to video gamers,” Hirai said in a briefing with reporters after his onstage appearance at D: All Things Digital. “If we miss that part than I don’t think we get the initial establishment of the console.”

Hirai said that formula has worked in the past, including with the PlayStation 3.

That said, there are capabilities in the device that will make it well suited to other uses, Hirai said, without giving details.

“We take a look at this first and formest as a game console,” Hirai said. “We don’t want to end there. That’s an area we will obviously reveal and talk about in the coming months.”

Update:

ArarLCW.png

:D

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
“We take a look at this first and formest as a game console,” Hirai said. “We don’t want to end there. That’s an area we will obviously reveal and talk about in the coming months.”

kind of a foreboding quote right there. I hope they don't waste too much time at E3 with not-actually gaming shit.

Marleyman

Banned
Both consoles will play games; one is downplaying the other aspects because the other got mauled for playing up theirs.

MS reveal - all about entertainment, etc
PS4 reveal - all about the games

E3 MS - about the games, some entertainment talk
E3 Sony - about the entertainment, some games talk

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Being very careful how he speaks it seems.

Heretic

Microsoft = Reveal additional features then games

Bad.

Sony = Reveal games then additional features

Good.

Both = Games + Additional Features

Aretak

It's amazing how much Sony have changed in the past seven or eight years. They were pushing the single box 'centre of the living room' philosophy even harder than Microsoft prior to the PS3's launch.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I like how many times he rammed that point in. Seems like he took queues from MS' misstep. "It's for gamers guys! 100% gamers! Gamers. Gamers!"

:p

Now we just wait to see Microsoft's response...

tCp90.gif

As someone who doesn't really plan on buying either one, I find the whole thing really entertaining, watching each of them twist so violently to meet perceived demand. If I was diehard one way or another, I think I'd be pretty pissed these days.

boinx

kind of a foreboding quote right there. I hope they don't waste too much time at E3 with not-actually gaming shit.

Based on that quote i think games will be the focus of their E3 presentation. They can easily talk about all that other shit at another time.

Marleyman

Banned
Eh? Sony's been pushing the PS4 as a gaming console first since it was unveiled. This isn't some new tune they're singing.

I know; they did it right. Just saying that MS chose the opposite direction first and now E3 is all about the games. I hope Sony stays on games and doesn't veer into MS reveal territory.

Top Bottom