• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Big Problem With MS: Astroturfing Damages Online Communities

QaaQer

Back in the day, I saw a number of online communities be ruined by trolls. People with emotional defects wrecking things for no reason. Engaging with them was frustrating, and caused many valuable people to stop participating. Trolls were easy to spot, not intellectually capable, and the creation of newer moderated communities mostly solved that problem.

Over the course of the past 5-10 years, community ruining toxic trolls have been replaced by community ruining marketers. Engaging with them is similarly frustrating, but they are harder to spot and the good ones are intellectually sophisticated.

Moderation helps, but it does not cure. I wonder if the aggravation caused by marketeers causes people, valuable people like Durante, to pull back and eventually leave like trolls used to do in the past. I read a couple of Durante's posts about how the revealing of the viral marketers had made him angry and uncomfortable, which is a feeling I know. Aggravation and frustration leads to 'why bother' before long.

On the gaming side, I've noticed only two companies that engage in this behaviour in an obvious way: Microsoft and Square. I'm not saying, they are the only companies, just the obvious ones. Windows 8 threads are insufferable, I can't be bothered with those anymore. The Tomb Raider thread was likewise terrible, with Harlequin wrecking conversations.

Oh, and MS is a huge user of Astroturfing, as is Bill Gates personally. Public opinion is just another tool to be used, regardless of any negative collateral damage. Some more random links:

Microsoft and Nokia Caught AstroTurfing, Abusing/Attacking Genuine Posters

1/3 of Onlie Reviews are Fake (ny times)

Astroturfing Antitrust: How Microsoft is Crafting the Grassroots Case Against Google

Microsoft lobbying campaign backfires; even dead people write in support of firm

FUD

If anyone wants me to add some links, I will.

TLDR: Viral markets wreck forums and comments sections. :sadface:

PS Not in anyway gaming related, but this serves as a good example of just what lengths PR firms will go to for their clients:

Toxic Sludge is Good For You: Lies said:
On August 2, 1990, Iraqi troops led by dictator Saddam Hussein invaded the oil-producing nation of Kuwait...The American public was notoriously reluctant to send its young into foreign battles on behalf of any cause. Selling war in the Middle East to the American people would not be easy.

Hill & Knowlton, then the world's largest PR firm, served as mastermind for the Kuwaiti [Public Relations] campaign...

Hill & Knowlton produced dozens of video news releases...The VNRs were shown by eager TV news directors around the world...TV stations and networks simply fed the carefully-crafted propaganda to unwitting viewers, who assumed they were watching "real" journalism...

Every big media event needs what journalists and flacks alike refer to as "the hook." An ideal hook becomes the central element of a story that makes it newsworthy, evokes a strong emotional response, and sticks in the memory. In the case of the Gulf War, the "hook" was invented by Hill & Knowlton. In style, substance and mode of delivery, it bore an uncanny resemblance to England's World War I hearings that accused German soldiers of killing babies.

[the hook] came from a 15-year-old Kuwaiti girl, known only by her first name of Nayirah....Sobbing, she described what she had seen with her own eyes in a hospital in Kuwait City. "I volunteered at the al-Addan hospital," Nayirah said. "While I was there, I saw the Iraqi soldiers come into the hospital with guns, and go into the room where ... babies were in incubators. They took the babies out of the incubators, took the incubators, and left the babies on the cold floor to die."

If Nayirah's outrageous lie had been exposed at the time it was told, it might have at least caused some in Congress and the news media to soberly reevaluate the extent to which they were being skillfully manipulated to support military action....On January 12, the US Senate voted by a narrow, five-vote margin to support the Bush administration in a declaration of war. Given the narrowness of the vote, the babies-thrown-from-incubators story may have turned the tide in Bush's favor.

...The pattern underscored what Napoleon meant when he said that it wasn't necessary to completely suppress the news; it was sufficient to delay the news until it no longer mattered.

1-D_FTW

Never knew that was the official term for it. Makes sense.

If it sounds like they're lubed up with astroglide, they're probably an astroturfer.

kick51

Banned
Never knew that was the official term for it. Makes sense.

If it sounds like they're lubed up with astroglide, they're probably an astroturfer.

This guy is definitely a viral marketer for astro glide.

thank your bosses for the fine product, sir.

I've heard a few times in the last few days that there were a few Microsoft astroturfers banned. Does anyone know what that's all about..?

On GAF I believe the culling has already begun.

PNhE57z.gif

(GIF credit: alr1ght)

The problem is, even the conceptual problem of astroturfing is enough to shut down arguments. It's as counter-productive as labeling people "fanboys" because it stops conversation in its tracks and people stop listening to each other.

Am I reading this wrong, or did you just say that Durante is a confirmed viral marketer?

You're reading it very wrong.

Seanspeed

Banned
Who are these people on GAF that were getting banned? I kinda want to see what they were posting. I heard something about this before but didn't realize it was 'a thing' and increasingly common.

Tamanon

Banned
It's pretty obvious.. most of them. The smart ones are hiding right now, waiting for the right time to strike.

Yeah, I mean I've been playing the long game. Nobody would ever suspect I was a Nintendo astroturfer, since I never post in Nintendo threads. Just cashing those paychecks from Reggie and waiting.

Leezard

Am I reading this wrong, or did you just say that Durante is a confirmed viral marketer?

I think he said that Durante did not feel it was ok that he replied to posters, explaining why they were wrong (for example), and then finding out that those same posters he replied to are paid to spew bullshit.

Marcel

Who are these people on GAF that were getting banned? I kinda want to see what they were posting. I heard something about this before but didn't realize it was 'a thing' and increasingly common.

Plants. Stealth marketers. Astroturfers. Whatever you want to call them, they were most likely promoting a toxic agenda because they were paid to do so.

Proven

Um, they can't strike when GAF has its E3 conference outages.

It's the after E3 spin that matters. It's when you're taking in the information and start thinking about what it means for your future. That's when, if you want to manipulate someone, you paint a positive future for them before they can fully think about all the implications themselves.

Foffy

Banned
Do we have a list of recent bannings that were indeed related to this? It would be interesting to just read their posts and try to taste the paste they were making on GAF.

Odrion

Banned
I think he said that Durante did not feel it was ok that he replied to posters, explaining why they were wrong (for example), and then finding out that those same posters he replied to are paid to spew bullshit.
Can we get a link or... Something?

Examples of Neogaf astroturfing would be pretty nice in a thread about Neogaf astroturfing.

FGMPR

Banned
There's a few on hear that are utterly transparent. There is one MS one in particular who seems to almost instantly jump to MS's defense, no matter the product of concern. It's pathetic, but I can't help but feel like they aren't doing anyone any favours; at least I hope that's the case.

PhatSaqs

Banned
links of major companies like Microsoft, doing it?

did bish post that list?

I remember Sony being accused of something along the same lines with a PSP ad years ago.

edit: found a link (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2006/dec/11/newsonyviral)
...the company has hired "consumer activation" firm Zipatoni to create a false video-and-blogging approach to generate interest in their flagging PlayStation Portable handheld machine. The video/blog/ads featured people portending to be authentic PSP fans creating messages of love/want for the console...

Ziek

On the flip side, threads like these cause people to become overly suspicious, and call out anyone with a strong opinion, a marketer. Check yo' self befo' you wreck yo'self, GAF.

milkham

This is the first time i've really thought about the no-free-email, account approval signup process. kudos gaf, kudos.

Wizman23

Banned
While I'm sure some of these people do exist to some compacity I also don't think its fair that literally everyone who has no problem with the XBOX ONE news from yesterday gets called out as a Microsoft schill.

Faddy

Banned
I think Microsoft is one of the worst offenders for astroturfing. The shining example is TheVerge where fanboys for the Nokia Lumia and WindowsPhone in general run wild. Obviously there are real fans but there were so many posters who did nothing else but praise Microsoft.

http://techrights.org/2011/12/26/microsoft-and-nokia-astroturf/

I know the article doesn't mention the Verge but it was so overblown as to be obvious to most genuine posters

I tried astroturfing for Capcom on behalf of Mega Man... but they wouldn't pay me... and kept asking "Mega who? Get out of here!"

Can we get a link or... Something?

Examples of Neogaf astroturfing would be pretty nice in a thread about Neogaf astroturfing.

Andrex had a small list yesterday:

LosDaddie

Banned
I think this has been obvious for years lol. And if you think it's just MS you're kidding yourself.

Yup. I have to imagine all of the Big 3 do this to some extent. This kind of marketing/PR/advertising is cheaper compared to the more straight forward marketing campaigns.

This is the first time i've really thought about the no-free-email, account approval signup process. kudos gaf, kudos.

Indeed. One of the best decisions my EviLore & Co.

BigDug13

On the flip side, threads like these cause people to become overly suspicious, and call out anyone with a strong opinion, a marketer. Check yo' self befo' you wreck yo'self, GAF.

The mods check post history and then research into the email addresses provided upon registration. Nothing to worry about if you're legit.

Satchel

Banned
Wait, so are these guys being positive about one corp while shitting on another?

Or just sticking to talking up one corp?

Seanspeed

Banned
Plants. Stealth marketers. Astroturfers. Whatever you want to call them, they were most likely promoting a toxic agenda because they were paid to do so.

I get the idea.

I kinda wanted some names/links so I can see what they were posting exactly.

EDIT: Ok, I see a list now. Cool. lol

pantsmith

Where is the line you draw between being an enthusiast with (sometimes strong) opinions and an astroturfer?

There are a lot of posters here with strong Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft/Whatever leanings but its all genuine, however awkward and infuriating it may be. How can you moderate a forum without it turning into a witch hunt? /v/, for example, is nothing but people calling other people "viral" posters, which just devolves into trash and namecalling.

Just a genuine question.

I certainly can see why this stuff bothers EviLore and the staff but it really doesn't bother me. I guess I'm used to just ignoring people with obvious agendas.

nib95

Banned
I for one am glad Bish went rampaging on these guys and hope they continue to be vigilant. Lots of suspect stuff recently, especially from Juniors. And yes, it does work towards diminishing a forums quality of discussion and appeal.

Top Bottom