• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Big Problem With MS: Astroturfing Damages Online Communities

Karak

Thanks guys! Durante has always appeared tech orientated and more disappointed with things than anything else. So I couldn't figure it out. Appreciate it. I am just getting up and reading and a great deal has happened.

Wouldn't be surprised to find out Samsung had paid GAF shills too, there's no way some those people aren't getting paid for it, it's impossible to like any company's products that much.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
While I don't disagree that there are definitely people on here shilling, we need to be careful of who we accuse. I was called a fanboy/shill because I posted some positive impressions of the XB1. It was rather frustrating as I purchase every console and enjoy gaming as a hobby. I was taking a wait and see approach and trying to look on the bright side. Of course, that was before the news yesterday came out. Anyone defending that should raise some eyebrows.

Zemm

I'd rather be on the dole than get paid peanuts to shit all over my integrity and self worth defending a mega corporation on the Internet. Christ.

CSX

its fasnicating looking at these guys post histories.

Some havent broke 100 posts in the course of 2-8 years. The 2-8 years as in the time of their first post not their join date

besada

Banned
Hmm, s'like you only partially read what I said ;)

If they create their own domain, it won't take long to figure out something is a miss "Imnotashill.com is registered to X company... and so is imalsonotashill.com and anyone who has them is posting pro-microsoft!"

That said e-mails aren't the only thing that ties them. In general, they're looking at behavior like derailing threads, if a person is a pro X posting in every thread, but then goes into pro Y thread to talk bad about Y, etc.

The surest way to not get banned, don't be an over the top overt fanboy. It's really that simple. If what you post in any way comes to "X is better than Y in every way" it's just best not to post it.

I did read it, I just disagree about how difficult it is to hide that information. You can register a domain under any name you want. You can register it under your kid's name if you want. It's remarkably easy to hide who actually owns a domain.

As for the second half, there's virtually no distinction between a rabid fanboy and a shill. Anyone who's been on GAF for any length of time has seen non-shill fanboys do exactly what you're discussing there.

Mindwipe

Wouldn't be surprised to find out Samsung had paid GAF shills too, there's no way some those people aren't getting paid for it, it's impossible to like any company's products that much.

To be fair some of the really weird Samsung behaviour I've referred to was when they flew fanboys from different continents over who didn't speak very good English to present about how wonderful their kit was. I don't think they were being paid and they were quite rabid (the paid booth people were generally cool - they had to deal with so many idiots that they were pretty friendly to anyone who was capable of human interaction).

UberTag

If Microsoft can't buy NeoGAF with shiny games next Monday, they will do their damnedest to destroy GAF from within via astroturfing.

You'd think they wouldn't care considering they didn't design their new console FOR us but for publishers instead... and yet the astroturfers were out in full force yesterday.

I feel like I'm in The Thing

i3OHxmVQ6t0vr.gif

PG2G

edit: also there are a few Microsoft employees that roam these parts, hope they don't get banned because of their email. They are upfront on who they work for and sometimes give out useful info.

Has already happened unfortunately :/

Is there a "I'm a junior but not a marketer support group?"

I'm basically getting the impression to not post until a week after E3.

mclem

It's pretty cheap to get email accounts that aren't tied to their PR domain. All it takes is a cheap webhosting domain and bang, you have legit emails from imnotashill.com instead of iamashill.com.

On the other hand, we always see a lot of shilling accusations hurled at simple fanboys.

Be right back, registering iamnotashill.com. I'll make millions from selling email accounts!

Just don't post stupid stuff and involve any "fanboyism" and you'll be fine. Most members advise Junior Members to take it handy because a ban as a Junior is permanent. You'll be fine ;)

This stuff can seem scary to new posters, but the mod team here generally has sound judgment. Post with reason and a balanced head and you will be fine.

While I dislike the practice, I do have a whole lot of respect for the mind that created astroturfing. Please don't confuse this with respect for astroturfing itself; that practice is vile and disgusting.

Just think about it for a moment: Businesses pay other businesses money to create accounts on forums and websites to support their agenda to make it appear that real people support the agenda.

It's almost comic book villain levels of pure evil.

To be fair, I would astroturf every square inch of the Internet for Nintendo at no charge. Nintendo is my childhood and I feel I owe them a debt I can never repay.

scitek

This is the first time i've really thought about the no-free-email, account approval signup process. kudos gaf, kudos.

GAF is a lot like Steam in that it's evolved through years of trial-and-error, and also that it's owned by someone whose first interest isn't to maximize profits. Most other comparable internet communities revolve around ad revenue first and foremost, EviLore's instead built GAF around the ability to converse.

Drachma

Banned
Seen plenty of this in my time on forums. Was pretty bad at the start of current gen a lot of places, with new members showing up on some sites I posted on and turning discussions utterly fucking toxic with OTT abuse directed at anyone making even the slightest critique of certain companies.

I mean, maybe they weren't Astroturfers, maybe they were just assholes, but when someone responds to digs like "Here's hoping MS have worked out how to program a clock that doesn't need to be set every time you switch on your console" with "Welcome to my ignore list you pathetic c*nt!"*, you sure as shit ain't dealing with a rational individual.

*Slight paraphrasing from an exchange I saw in 2005 on Eurogamer (I think... been a while)

JDSN

Banned
I dont mind because I know its pointless to engage someone saying stuff like "Xbone=Steam" and "Deal with it", as far as im concerned the only difference between that people and astroturfers is the amount of money getting paid.

But its pretty obvious that its gonna affect this community in the following months.

Neo C.

Just don't be stupid. In the end, it doesn't matter whether you're viral marketer or a crazy fanboy, both deserve to be banned when they try to kill a discussion.

Juniors don't really have to worry much, just don't be an ass and you're fine. I think the mods are smart enough to know if you're not a shill.

Then again even regular members will get banned come E3. It's probably the most awaited event for all hardcore gamers and some arguments will get heated. Honestly, I just keep most of my opinions to myself at this time of year. It's easier.

This stuff can seem scary to new posters, but the mod team here generally has sound judgment. Post with reason and a balanced head and you will be fine.

Yeah, they do good work. I was more referring to the fact that I've been here for almost three years and I'm struggling to hit 150 posts.

Sianos

What if the recent TF2 key inflation is actually the work of Valve to devalue Refined Metal and force us to buy more keys from them??????

Truly turbulent times, folks.

I certainly can see why this stuff bothers EviLore and the staff but it really doesn't bother me. I guess I'm used to just ignoring people with obvious agendas.
I hate it even if it's obvious. I don't know advertisers on my GAF, or anything else, when the site isn't being paid for them and the advertiser isn't being honest about it. I really do think that people making coherent-sounding justifications for stuff like the Xbox DRM stuff does change the discussion. No reason at all for them to be here if it can be helped.

As far as juniors worried about being mistaken for a shill, didn't Bish say they're using the email addresses tied to accounts to confirm that these people work at marketing firms?

CSX

Yeah, they do good work. I was more referring to the fact that I've been here for almost three years and I'm struggling to hit 150 posts.

you're fine. They definitely ban with context. You arent going around twisting facts and attacking all the controversial topics lol

jtb

Banned
Given the ridiculous metal gymnastics and irrational allegiance to corporations that do not give a shit about them, I'm more concerned about the ones who aren't on a payroll, frankly.

If Microsoft can't buy NeoGAF with shiny games next Monday, they will do their damnedest to destroy GAF from within via astroturfing.

You'd think they wouldn't care considering they didn't design their new console FOR us but for publishers instead... and yet the astroturfers were out in full force yesterday.

Well, they need people to actually buy their console

Cheech

Don't kid yourself into thinking Sony, Nintendo, etc. aren't doing this too.

No kidding. I've dialed back my GAF posting in certain threads because the anti-Xbox hysteria has just gotten too thick. Maybe I'm jaded, but Internet-wide it just seems manufactured at a high level. Combined with the white knighting of Sony, i.e. the automatic assumption that they are pro-consumer and Microsoft is anti-consumer, that I'm not sure what to think.

At the end of the day, E3 is just a few days away, and I was really looking forward to discussing new games on GAF on Monday. Instead, I am dreading an off topic shitshow where games are talked up or shit on based solely on if they are exclusive and which console they are exclusive to.

I hope my bitter pessimism is unfounded.

iratA

I've always been a fairly passionate Sony guy and vocal about it too, although in fairness I've owned game machines from all the major parties. I suppose the concern is that if your too passionate about something that you might get called out or hunted down for being a 'plant'. That's a pretty scary thought for someone like me who loves NeoGAF.

Top Bottom