• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Accessories policies on PS4 and XBone

Solal

Hi guys,

I am a bit pissed by MS policy regarding all this DRM stuff and blablabla...

But the worst thing is when MS makes my hardware obsolete after only 2 years.

I bought a CSR Elite + Elite pedals from fanatec less than a year ago... it was the official Forza wheel and works on PS3 too (great with GT5 btw...which is why I bought it in the first place)! This beast costs 600€ for the wheel alone...plus 200€ for the pedals... and you still need the rig (another 300€)...

Now, from what I read and understand, my wheel won't work on XBone... it won't work on Forza5.

The wheel specifically developped for Forza 4 does not work with Forza 5! How can you fuck you customers harder?

If I understand correctly what Amar212 explained, it has to do with MS USB ports not supporting HID... which is the most common standard for hardware (i am not a technical guy ok?)

Basically, that means that, if I want to play Forza 5 with a wheel (and you would never want to play with a pad when you tried a wheel!) I would have to buy another one !

OR

Just play GT6 or 7 on PS4 as it is very likely that PS4 will support old gen wheels (you can still play GT5 with PS2 era wheels...)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=63303331&postcount=1583

So in the end, those geniuses at MS have made a decision that almost forces me to go to their competitor if I don't want to waste my 800€ set up.

This must be some revolutionary post-modern futuristic expressionist marketing shit cause I can't see any fucking sense in this.

And it's the same with you fighting sticks, headsets, etc...

I have a Qanba arcade stick. i love it... soon it will be a Sony only device.

So why would any hardcore gamer like me, who invested so much in accessories, go to MS now? Not only is their offer not competitive (imo) but they make my gaming setup obsolete for greedy reasons. instead of making my life easier, they seem to punish me for being a dedicated gamer...

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/22/microsoft-only-xbox-one-controllers-accessories-will-work-wit/

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Xbox-One-Controller-Headset,22725.html

In a nutshell: i am not buying XBone...ever.

How many of us are in the same situation (having bought a lot of stuff that won't be supported by XBone)?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Alright seriously, I know it's cool to hate on Microsoft, and a lot of the hate is deserved, but if you were seriously expecting 360 accessories to work with the Xbox One then you are just deluded.

Eusis

I've tossed around the idea of grabbing a wheel for GT, but I never really play the games that much, I only grabbed GT5 due to a black friday deal actually. Still, this is a great time for this stuff to be forwards compatible because we're using a single type of plug that doesn't look to be obsolete for a long, long time (iterated on actually), so Microsoft just burning bridges is just... They must have one very specific image of a family to sell to, and anyone too far out of that zone draws a blank for them. This includes those dedicated enough to buy peripherals that will only work with a specific genre, like fighters or racers.

Alright seriously, I know it's cool to hate on Microsoft, and a lot of the hate is deserved, but if you were seriously expecting 360 accessories to work with the Xbox One then you are just deluded.
There's nevertheless exceptions that make sense, namely expensive peripherals that won't be improved upon anyway to such a degree supporting the old isn't worth it. Like these wheels, or fighting sticks.

Sickbean

Even Apple have only pulled this shit once since the start of iDevices.

I've no idea what Microsoft were thinking - it's just USB for crying out loud!

Why exactly is it outrageous to expect expensive extras to work on a next generation console?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

Yeah, the only case I can remember this being the case was PS1->PS2 and Gamecube->Wii->WiiU. It's not really standard, it's even expected for old accessories to not work.

Yeah.

Nobody expected their Genesis controllers to work on Sega Saturn. Your non-USB PS2 stuff doesn't plug and play into your PS3. Your old Xbox stuff doesn't work on 360. Why would this be any different?

That said, I'm sure some enterprising third parties or padhackers will figure out how to get old accessories to work on the XB1.

Sickbean

There is literally nothing deluded about this. We have standard input ports (USB) for this exact reason.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Wow. This is unacceptable.

When they showed DRIVECLUB and the PS4 I was fearing that my DFGT (entry level wheel) wasn't going to work and I was going to give them shit for it but I can't imagine dropping that kind of dough and then getting fucked.

Insane.

Durante

Why? Are there massive advancements in arcade stick or wheel/pedal technology that make the previous hardware obsolete?

i don't think you fully read the original post...

it's pretty common that peripherals, like racing wheels, continue to be compatible with new consoles...

IMBored

I think it's a little diferent comparing this to PS3 or Dreamcast, where the connectors where actually changed. This is just USB, don't tell only USB3 acessories can work.

ZeroCoin

Really surprising that MS would wipe out support for some pretty common USB accessories. I would have thought that usb fightsticks and steering wheels would have at least some basic support.

Fortunately they have a product for people who want to use their old accessories, it's called xbox 360.

Ice cold.

MercuryLS

Banned
How else are they supposed to nickel and dime you with a whole slew of new accessories? This is MS we're talking about here.

DeviantBoi

I think my A40s should still work with the PS4 since they use the digital output on the back.

Dunno about the chat.

dookeh

I totally agree with you. All of my dual modded arcade sticks will work with PS4 and not Xbone--Gee, as if I didn't have enough reasons already.

Solal

Ho come on now... When you buy a 800€ set up specifically designed for a game, you don't expect it to work on the next iteration? Seriously?

When you buy a USB arcade stick, you don't expect it to work on the next console that uses USB?

This thread is a way of expressing our concerns to devs: many hardcore gamers have invested a lot. Companies made money out of it (which is normal). can't we expect more respect?

watership

Why exactly is it outrageous to expect expensive extras to work on a next generation console?

Precedent.

controllerOld.jpg

How else are they supposed to nickel and dime you with a whole slew of new accessories? This is MS we're talking about here.

I'm on team Sony here recently, but to be fair, Sony got away with cheaping us for years on proprietary BS, most recently with that Vita memory card.

Eusis

Yeah.

Nobody expected their Genesis controllers to work on Sega Saturn. Your non-USB PS2 stuff doesn't plug and play into your PS3. Your old Xbox stuff doesn't work on 360. Why would this be any different?
Put the two bolded together, and... yeah. They kept changing the controller plugs with each generation, I'm guessing faster/more bandwidth/cheaper and more efficent/moving away from proprietary, but with this they're on USB and axing support anyway, and it's not even like we have a radically different controller. Perhaps HID's just a flawed standard they want to move away from, but it seems as if it'd be worth accommodating for relevant games if it's not a pain to implement. It's kind of displaying an extreme hostility to BC in any form.

Well, PS3 accessories will supposedly mostly work on PS4 so I guess I'll live out those delusions?

I mean, why shouldn't they work? They're USB and we're dealing with the same inputs. Gone are the days of proprietary controller ports.

ElNino

Now, from what I read and understand, my wheel won't work on XBone... it won't work on Forza5.

The wheel specifically developped for Forza 4 does not work with Forza 5! How can you fuck you customers harder?
While I'm not exactly optimistic, Thomas has indicated that they will try to get their wheels working on X1 but that he doesn't have any confirmation yet one way or the other.

Yeah.

That said, I'm sure some enterprising third parties or padhackers will figure out how to get old accessories to work on the XB1.

Yeah.

We've had a standard called USB since the ol' Sega Genesis days.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Why? Are there massive advancements in arcade stick or wheel/pedal technology that make the previous hardware obsolete?

I don't know, but in my experience accessories of an older console haven't been usable with the newer console. The exception here may be Nintendo as you can use a GameCube controller with a Wii, and a Wiimote with the Wii U. But when I went from PS2 -> PS3 I had to toss all my accessories, and when I went from Xbox -> 360 I similarly had to toss my accessories. I had no expectation that 360 or PS3 accessories would be usable with Xbone or PS4.

They haven't yet confirmed or denied if legacy wheels will be supported. With every new partnership (Thrustmaster, Mad Catz), and every "not sure, I'm not a hardware guy" comment it's growing ever less likely though.

You're right, it's total bullshit. Wheels can not be treated like lesser peripherals. It's shitting on some of your most committed customers.

I don't know, but in my experience accessories of an older console haven't been usable with the newer console. The exception here may be Nintendo as you can use a GameCube controller with a Wii, and a Wiimote with the Wii U. But when I went from PS2 -> PS3 I had to toss all my accessories, and when I went from Xbox -> 360 I similarly had to toss my accessories. I had no expectation that 360 or PS3 accessories would be usable with Xbone or PS4.

PS2 and PS3 a lot of times shared the same accessories. In fact, a lot of the music instruments were PS2 and PS3.

Solal

I have an arcade stick and 2 logitech wheels that work perfectly on PS3.
I think the PS2 singstar mics work with the PS3 too...

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah.

I guess people just expect more when it comes to using standards like USB.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
one thing that I really like of the wiiu is that it is BC not only with games but also accessories. hopefully I'll be able to keep my dualshock 3 to play locally with friends on ps4

blackadde

it would be nuts for things like USB arcade sticks (4 digital directions, ~10 digital buttons) to not work cross-generation. there's nothing special they have to accomodate, you'd almost have to work to actively lock them out.

Top Bottom