• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft is happy with PS4 and Xbox One price, talks Wii U support & review early 2014

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And here are a few other notes from the article about Blood Dragon's sales.

GamesIndustry.biz said:

As for the pricing on the next-gen systems, Guillemot again expressed his approval. Like Activision's Eric Hirshberg, Guillemot noted that the $499 Xbox One asks a premium over the $399 PlayStation 4. But where Hirshberg thought Microsoft still needs to work to justify that discrepancy, Guillemot said the inclusion of the new Kinect camera in Microsoft's offering looks to do just that.

"For the hardware they're putting on the market, the price is right," Guillemot said. "They are offering machines that will be exceptional, and for those prices, they're good deals."

That was a better appraisal than Guillemot gave the Wii U prior to its launch. Last November, Guillemot said he always prefers lower pricing, so he wasn't happy when Nintendo announced plans to sell the Wii U in $299 and $349 bundles. Still, Ubisoft has supported the Wii U, and even with its slow start, Guillemot said he hasn't given up on it just yet.

"We like the machine itself, with its possibility to have different types of gameplay on the TV screen and on the tablet," Guillemot said. "It's something that's really new for the industry, and we'll continue to see more of that on the PS4 and Xbox One."

Now the big question is what Nintendo will do to push sales of the system. Ubisoft has already said it would welcome a Wii U price cut, but Nintendo president Satoru Iwata dismissed the idea in an interview earlier this month.

"We will continue to support the Wii U this Christmas, and we're expecting it to take off in terms of sales," Guillemot said. "And we'll review what happened again at the beginning of next year."

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-27-xbox-one-policy-changes-get-thumbs-up-from-Ubisoft

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Guillermot said:
"We will continue to support the Wii U this Christmas, and we're expecting it to take off in terms of sales," Guillemot said. "And we'll review what happened again at the beginning of next year."

That last sentence fills me with foreboding :/

StevieP

Banned
Yves is really good at PR (even if what he is saying is a bit disingenuous). He's also overtly saying that if the Wii u is in a worse position next year, that they're probably going to further cut it loose.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
That last sentence fills me with foreboding :/

It is what it is.

Ubisoft is providing Nintendo great support this fall/holiday and if they don't see some signs of life with both their own sales as well as the install base, the smart move is to pull out.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Mario 3D World has some big fucking boots to fill all by itself. In one or two months.

It is what it is.

Ubisoft is providing Nintendo great support this fall/holiday and if they don't see some signs of life with both their own sales as well as the install base, the smart move is to pull out.

Pretty much. No one can accuse UBI of not throwing full weight behind the platform. If they aren't seeing the sales that they feel they should be seeing then they will likely drop it or dramatically decrease the amount of games that they develop for it.

StevieP

Banned
Pretty much. No one can accuse UBI of not throwing full weight behind the platform. If they aren't seeing the sales that they feel they should be seeing then they will likely drop it or dramatically decrease the amount of games that they develop for it.

It's not full weight. But it's close, and more than what other third parties are doing on the platform.

Horseticuffs

I get it. I just wish they weren't throwing Rayman out to die like that in the biggest part of the year :/ I'd love to buy Rayman, and I will. I'll probably buy Watchdogs as well. There's a ton of great Wii U games coming, though,and I'm not anticipating happy times for my wallet :(

Never gonna work. The small userbase isn't the reason why multiplattform titles don't sell well on the WiiU.
The reason is that everyone who is interested in those kind of games already has Ps3, Xbox360 or PC where he can get those games. The WiiU version is redundant.
And this holiday season we will see Ps4 and XboxOne, where Multiplats will look drastically better than on Ps3, Xbox360 and WiiU.

A bigger WiiU install base wouldn't change anything about the sales of 3rd party titles.

J-Man

It's not full weight. But it's close, and more than what other third parties are doing on the platform.

Every major title that Ubisoft is releasing through this fall is coming to the platform, which I would argue is full weight. In fact, isn't it only South Park which is a title they only bought the publishing rights to the only one not coming to the system?

I think Watch_Dogs will be the big test, as it's a brand new series with no entrenched fanbase on other systems. Although, the fact that most buyers own a system that can play the game will impact sales (the same is true for the upcoming PS4 and XB1, but they have bigger graphical advantages - we'll see if that matters).

Effect

It is what it is.

Nothing people can really do either. If Ubisoft's games interest you then buy them on the Wii U if one wants to do their part. It's on Nintendo in the end, it always has been. They're the ones sailing this ship. The ones that felt it was better to double down on 2D or 2Dish platformers (after launching the system with one clearly did not work) and not do everything in their power to get Mario Kart out for the holidays. To have Retro make another 2D platformer instead of something else to fill obvious voids left by the lack of third party support. They're the ones that choose not to better highlight the third party support they do have so those games at least do respectably on the Wii U this coming fall.

This is all on Nintendo in the biggest way possible. A number of things bothered me about the E3 Direct but this is one of the biggest. The system's controller has a built in touch screen. They should have begged Ubisoft to put together a video or several showing off the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs for the Nintendo Direct. Showing how the controller will work right out of the box, nothing extra needed. This after all Ubisoft did with the controller with ZombiU and even Assassin's Creed 3 to a much lesser degree. Nintendo clearly wasn't and isn't justifying the controller. Highlight a company that is. One that is your primary source of third party support at that. There was nothing like that at E3!

If in the end things turn out bad there is only one choice of action if you currently have a Wii U. First buy the Nintendo games that do come out in the future. It will mostly be the Nintendo machine. Secondly either buy a PS4 or a Xbox One or a gaming PC (upgrade if you have one already) for third party games. That's the choice that is being presented to us this holiday if Nintendo doesn't make things work out.

True, Ubi is pretty much the only developer (1st or 3rd party) that can be praised in terms of the Wii U right now. A few developers are set to eclipse them in the next few months, Platinum (with 2 exclusive high quality original games) and Nintendo themselves. Development for the console has still been extremely sparse, especially with worthwhile titles for multi-platform owners, but hopefully Nintendo will successfully bring it this holiday with Platinum filling in the gaps.

Linkhero1

Not too surprised. They did say they were going to scale back Wii U support. My hunch was they're gonna play the wait and see approach. If the Wii U takes off this holiday season we'll see more announcements coming from their end.

Kusagari

I think Watch Dogs will be the barometer not only for Ubisoft but companies like Acti too.

If that game bombs on Wii U, expect support to get even worse.

Horseticuffs

Nothing people can really do either. If Ubisoft's games interest you then buy them on the Wii U if one wants to do their part. It's on Nintendo in the end, it always has been. They're the ones sailing this ship. The ones that felt it was better to double down on 2D or 2Dish platformers (after launching the system with one clearly did not work) and not do everything in their power to get Mario Kart out for the holidays. To have Retro make another 2D platformer instead of something else to fill obvious voids left by the lack of third party support. They're the ones that choose not to better highlight the third party support they do have so those games at least do respectably on the Wii U this coming fall.

This is all on Nintendo in the biggest way possible. A number of things bothered me about the E3 Direct but this is one of the biggest. The system's controller has a built in touch screen. They should have begged Ubisoft to put together a video or several showing off the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs for the Nintendo Direct. Showing how the controller will work right out of the box, nothing extra needed. This after all Ubisoft did with the controller with ZombiU and even Assassin's Creed 3 to a much lesser degree. Nintendo clearly wasn't and isn't justifying the controller. Highlight a company that is. One that is your primary source of third party support at that. There was nothing like that at E3!

If in the end things turn out bad there is only one choice of action if you currently have a Wii U. First buy the Nintendo games that do come out in the future. It will mostly be the Nintendo machine. Secondly either buy a PS4 or a Xbox One or a gaming PC (upgrade if you have one already) for third party games. That's the choice that is being presented to us this holiday if Nintendo doesn't make things work out.

I loved NSMBU, but it really blew me away when I had my kids over to play that with a Gamepad and 2 wiimotes one of us was forced into Boost mode. That was such a disappointment!

Then I tried the Rayman Challenge app and every possible desire a user might have for the gamepad was met. You wanna help out using Murray? Go for it! You wanna directly control a character? Go nuts! It was fucking glorious and it was a damned shame it took Ubisoft to show the potential of the Gamepad.

Effect

I loved NSMBU, but it really blew me away when I had my kids over to play that with a Gamepad and 2 wiimotes one of us was forced into Boost mode. That was such a disappointment!

Then I tried the Rayman Challenge app and every possible desire a user might have for the gamepad was met. You wanna help out using Murray? Go for it! You wanna directly control a character? Go nuts! It was fucking glorious and it was a damned shame it took Ubisoft to show the potential of the Gamepad.

This is what I really don't understand. Why is Ubisoft the one justifying the controller's design and not Nintendo? The same thing with PG it seems with Wonderful 101.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This is what I really don't understand. Why is Ubisoft the one justifying the controller's design and not Nintendo? The same thing with PG it seems with Wonderful 101.

I think Nintendo did a good job with NintendoLand but yeah besides that I'm not seeing it.

Top Bottom