• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oxford English Dictionary adds "smeg" and "smeghead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Red Dwarf website:
Adding new entries for not one but two words featured in (and, crucially, popularised by) the show, the new OED first tells us that smeg is:

smeg, n. (and int.)
Etymology: Perhaps originally an invented word; if so, later frequently interpreted as shortened < SMEGMA n.
slang.
Originally: used as a general expletive. Later also:
smegma; any viscous substance. Also as
int.
Popularized by the British television programme Red Dwarf (1988-99).

... before also going on to define the show's most famous insult, the compound word smeghead, rather delightfully as "a fool or contemptible person".

So, there you go. "Smeg" is now officially an English word, and anyone who disagrees is a smeghead.

tumblr_lnzm03mD0P1qfh96do1_500.gif

Busty

Banned
This would be hilarious...., if it was 1995. Frankly Red Dwarf as a series (which I loved..., as a teenager) hasn't aged very well.

The fact that they still make Red Dwarf just totally baffles me. At this point it's so cheap and nasty it's barely a step above fan made Youtube tributes.

Just thinking about the audience who still eagerly watches new episodes of Red Dwarf (bearded, real ale drinkers with Lister t-shirts and dog eared copies of The Hobbit) makes me feel queasy.

Is cowabunga next?
The fact that they still make Red Dwarf just totally baffles me. At this point it's so cheap and nasty it's barely a step above fan made Youtube tributes.
Its been over a decade since I've seen a Red Dwarf episode but I recall it always was really cheap looking. Or is it somehow even worse now?

Busty

Banned
Its been over a decade since I've seen a Red Dwarf episode but I recall it always was really cheap looking. Or is it somehow even worse now?

*nods*

It's not even produced by the BBC anymore. It's produced/financed by a UK cable channel called (and I'm not joking) Dave that is best known for showing repeats of Top Gear.

magicstop

I love British humor. My favorite TV show of all time is Fawlty Towers. The Pythons and their sketch comedy bring me to tears. Fry and Laurie are classic, and I even enjoy (guiltily?) Black Books. But I finally tried to watch Red Dwarf yesterday, as I saw it on Netflix. I couldn't handle it. It was so absolutely annoying and grating and awful. I know it's considered a classic, but it's not one I'll be enjoying, me thinks.

This would be hilarious...., if it was 1995. Frankly Red Dwarf as a series (which I loved..., as a teenager) hasn't aged very well.

Just thinking about the audience who still eagerly watches new episodes of Red Dwarf (bearded, real ale drinkers with Lister t-shirts and dog eared copies of The Hobbit) makes me feel queasy.

You do realise that the new series are less cheap looking than any of the prior series(& the first 4-5 series hold up perfectly well), so if I was you I would get my eyes tested.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I love British humor. My favorite TV show of all time is Fawlty Towers. The Pythons and their sketch comedy bring me to tears. Fry and Laurie are classic, and I even enjoy (guiltily?) Black Books. But I finally tried to watch Red Dwarf yesterday, as I saw it on Netflix. I couldn't handle it. It was so absolutely annoying and grating and awful. I know it's considered a classic, but it's not one I'll be enjoying, me thinks.

Black Books is awesome, nothing guitly about that. How do you feel about IT Crowd, Father Ted or Spaced?

magicstop

Black Books is awesome, nothing guitly about that. How do you feel about IT Crowd, Father Ted or Spaced?

Ah, I forgot to mention Father Ted. Quite a fan, though it's certainly aged a bit. And the British Office was amazing (I have a crush on Ricky). I haven't seen IT Crowd or Spaced. Shall I queue them up on Netflix?

EDIT:
Even a short gif of Ricky brings me to tears:
5tQdfgo.gif

akira28

Just thinking about the audience who still eagerly watches new episodes of Red Dwarf (bearded, real ale drinkers with Lister t-shirts and dog eared copies of Lolita, save one page) makes me feel queasy.

ladies and gentlemen, here to give us our smeghead demonstration, Busty.

EBCubs03

Banned
The marketing team of a certain high end Italian manufacturer of appliances must be on suicide watch

gzwOTj4.jpg

Wtf how are these things supposed to look good in a contemporary kitchen? The colors can't seriously be this ugly.. I wonder what the hell an Italian kitchen looks like

mclem

Which Red Dwarf?

It's been through several significant revamps and reinventions; series 1 is *vastly* different from series 6 which is *vastly* different from Back To Earth. And some of the series were downright poor, while others were incredible.

And there's nothing wrong with enjoying Black Books. At all. Mildly surprised at no mention of Blackadder, Spaced or Father Ted if you're going to rattle off great UK sitcoms, though.

Ah, I forgot to mention Father Ted. Quite a fan, though it's certainly aged a bit. And the British Office was amazing (I have a crush on Ricky). I haven't seen IT Crowd or Spaced. Shall I queue them up on Netflix?

Spaced is phenomenal. Do it.

Busty

Banned
You do realise that the new series are less cheap looking than any of the prior series(& the first 4-5 series hold up perfectly well), so if I was you I would get my eyes tested.

While I admit I could only stomach a little of the new episodes it didn't change the fact that horrible physical sets are preferable to horrible green screen 'virtual sets' any day of the week.....,

While I admit I could only stomach a little of the new episodes it didn't change the fact that horrible physical sets are preferable to horrible green screen 'virtual sets' any day of the week.....,

I don't know why I'm bothering, but the physical sets were better in the new series & the old series had plenty of shitty green screen scenes,so your argument holds little weight.

Busty

Banned
I don't know why I'm bothering, but the physical sets were better in the new series & the old series had plenty of shitty green screen scenes,so your argument holds little weight.

Your sensitivity amuses me greatly.

Back to your homemade ale and faded prog rock t-shirts man.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
They couldn't even get their comma through acceptance. What makes them the authoratative source of new English words?

Well actually, only series 7 & Back to the Red were Green-Screened (notice how both are post Grant era). Every other were sets.

SMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE--- HEEEEEEE--

Godlike scene. Amazing.

"You sir are a SMRRRRRR-HEEEEEEE"

Except they only way they work is if you decorate your kitchen in a faux 60's look and really, who with taste would actually do that?

jstripes

Banned
Is cowabunga next?

Back to Earth was horrid, but the most recent series (Red Dwarf X) went back to the formula and it was actually pretty good.

(The only thing I didn't like was retconning Rimmer's middle name's origin. It took away from the character.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom