• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[BBC News Magazine] Britishisms and the Britishisation of American English

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gowans

D50BV.jpg

Britishisms and the Britishisation of American English

There is little that irks British defenders of the English language more than Americanisms, which they see creeping insidiously into newspaper columns and everyday conversation. But bit by bit British English is invading America too.

"Spot on - it's just ludicrous!" snaps Geoffrey Nunberg, a linguist at the University of California at Berkeley.

"You are just impersonating an Englishman when you say spot on."

"Will do - I hear that from Americans. That should be put into quarantine," he adds.

And don't get him started on the chattering classes - its overtones of a distinctly British class system make him quiver.

But not everyone shares his revulsion at the drip, drip, drip of Britishisms - to use an American term - crossing the Atlantic.

"I enjoy seeing them," says Ben Yagoda, professor of English at the University of Delaware, and author of the forthcoming book, How to Not Write Bad.

"It's like a birdwatcher. If I find an American saying one, it makes my day!"

Last year Yagoda set up a blog dedicated to spotting the use of British terms in American English.

So far he has found more than 150 - from cheeky to chat-up via sell-by date, and the long game - an expression which appears to date back to 1856, and comes not from golf or chess, but the card game whist. President Barack Obama has used it in at least one speech.

Yagoda notices changes in pronunciation too - for example his students sometimes use "that sort of London glottal stop", dropping the T in words like "important" or "Manhattan".

The Britishisms are coming

Ginger (red hair)
The use of ginger in the US to describe red hair took off with publication of the first Harry Potter book in 1998, says Kory Stamper of Merriam-Webster. Unlike in the UK, there is no anti-ginger prejudice in the US, she says - Americans think of warm, comforting things like gingerbread.

40sAT.gif

Sell-by date (expiration)
Americans use "expiration date" for the British sell-by date - the date by which supermarket food must be sold. But sell-by date is increasingly used in the US in a figurative sense. Eg "That idea is well past its sell-by date."

Nd3yc.gif

Go missing (disappear)
This came to the fore in the US when intern Chandra Levy "disappeared", says Ben Yagoda. Go missing was widely used, he says, because it felt more nuanced. In his view, British terms can "really serve a purpose" when there is no exact equivalent in American English

mbq4n.gif

Chat up (hit on)
The use of chat up to refer to flirtatious conversation really began to take off in the 1990s, says Kory Stamper. Often you can't pinpoint why a word or phrase gets picked up, she says. Chat up is a good example of a Britishism that has "snuck in on cat's feet".

cl1NX.gif

Also overheard in the US...

Do the washing up - British for "wash the dishes"
Keen on/ keen to - a British way of saying "to like" or "be eager to"
Barman - bartender
Bit - as in "the best bit" of a film... Americans would usually say "part"
To book (eg a hotel) - Americans would say "reserve"
Called Joe - Americans say "named" Joe
To move house - a British way of saying "to move"

Kory Stamper, Associate Editor for Merriam-Webster, whose dictionaries are used by many American publishers and news organisations, agrees that more and more British words are entering the American vocabulary.

Stamper is one of the powerful few who get to choose which words are included in the dictionary, as well as writing their definitions.

One new entrant into the Merriam-Webster dictionary in 2012 was gastropub (a gentrified pub serving good food), which was first used, according to Kory Stamper, in London's Evening Standard newspaper in 1996, and was first registered on American shores in 2000.

"The British pub is a very different critter from an American bar," she says, but bars with good beer and food are springing up in many cities in the US, and the British term is sometimes used to describe them.

Twee (excessively dainty or cute) is another "word of the moment", says Stamper, as is metrosexual (a well-groomed and fashion-conscious heterosexual man) which "took off like wildfire", after it was used in the American TV series Queer Eye. There was even a backlash against it - a sure sign, she says, that the word had "absolutely made its way into the American vernacular".

What about Canadian English?

Canadians spell many words the British way - like "colour", "neighbour" and "centre"
British English was "enormously influential" from 1850-1950, largely due to a wave of immigration from Britain - an accent known as "Canadian dainty" came into being as upper middle class Canadians tried to sound British
Canadians have tended to pronounce works like "tomato" and "leisure" the British, rather than American, way - as well as using words like "tap", when an American would say "faucet" - but this is changing
"When people put on a British accent [now], we consider it affected and funny - but it doesn't happen very frequently"

There has also been "a huge up-tick", says Stamper, in the use of ginger as a way of describing someone with red hair.

She sees this as clearly tied to the publication in the US of the first Harry Potter book. Dozens of words and phrases were changed for the American market, but ginger slipped through, as did snog (meaning "to kiss amorously") - though that has not proved so popular.

We are not seeing a radical change to the American language, says Jesse Sheidlower, American editor at large of the Oxford English Dictionary - rather a "very small, but noticeable" trend.

Bill Kretzschmar, professor of English at the University of Georgia, makes a similar point - that while the spike in use of some British terms may look dramatic, it is often because they are rising from a very low base. Most are used "very infrequently", he says.

And it is not so much the masses who use these terms, says Geoffrey Nunberg, as the educated elite. Journalists and other media types, like advertising agencies, are the worst offenders, in his view.

"The words trickle down rather than trickle up," he says.

"It sounds trendy - another borrowing we could use without - to use a British term. It just sounds kind of Transatlantic."

Obama was "chuffed to bits" to "natter" with David Cameron in March
But the line between trendy and plain pretentious is a fine one, says Sheidlower.

Anyone who says bespoke - as Americans sometimes do when referring to a custom-made suit or a bicycle - is just "showing off".

Defining terms

Briticism - Word or phrase characteristic of the English or Great Britain - first used in US in 1868
Britishism - First used in US in 1853, for something "characteristic of British people" - only later applied to words
Briticization or Britishisation - First reference is 1953 in Britain
Britspeak - No specific entry in the dictionary at the moment, but "worth considering" says the OED's Jesse Sheidlower

But some British terms can be useful, says Sheidlower, and fill in a gap where there is no direct equivalent in American English - he cites one-off (something which is done, or made, or which happens only once) as an example.

To go missing is another useful term, says Ben Yagoda, as it is more nuanced, conveying a greater sense of uncertainty than the standard "to disappear". Its use climbed significantly in 2001, with the high-profile case of the missing intern Chandra Levy.

British TV shows like Top Gear, Dr Who, and Downton Abbey may be another reason more British words are slipping in, says Yagoda, as well as the popularity (and easy access via the internet) of British news sources, such as The Guardian, The Economist, The Daily Mail - and the BBC.

Yagoda also points to a number of British journalists who have risen to influential positions in the US, including Tina Brown - who has worked as editor of Vanity Fair, The New Yorker, The Daily Beast, and Newsweek - and Anna Wintour, editor in chief of American Vogue.

"English for everybody is becoming more international, every day that passes," says Bill Kretzschmar who is also editor in chief of the Linguistics Atlas Project, which tracks spoken English.

The use of university, rather than college or school, for example, may well be used by Americans to make sure they are understood outside the country.

The same thing might be influencing a trend that Yagoda has spotted for Americans to use the day, month, year format for dates - 26/9/12 rather than 9/26/12.

There is not so much an "on and off switch" between versions of English, says Kretzschmar, but more of a continuum - with the same words in existence in different places, but just used at different frequencies.

Some words, often the more formal ones, were once common on both sides of the Atlantic, but dropped out of American English usage while remaining popular in Britain, says Yagoda - amongst (instead of among), trousers (instead of pants), and fortnight (two weeks) are examples.

And some words which Brits regard as typically American - including "candy", "the fall", and "diaper" - were originally British, but dropped out of usage in Britain between about 1850 and the early 1900s, says Kory Stamper.

"America has always welcomed words from all over," she says.

"If it doesn't look conspicuously foreign, I don't think anyone questions - it's just English at that point."

The word gormless (the best American equivalent is probably "clueless") is on the rise in the US, for example, says Stamper, but no-one thinks of it as a British word. For some reason it sounds Southern to many American ears.

There would have been no difference between British and American English when the founding fathers first crossed the Atlantic. It took time for the two to go their separate ways - a process given a jolt by Noah Webster, who published the first dictionary of American English in 1806, 30 years after the Declaration of Independence.

Webster introduced the distinctive American spellings of words like "honour" (honor), "colour" (color), "defence" (defense), and "centre" (center), as well as including specifically American words like "skunk" and "chowder".

"He wanted very much for this budding new nation to have its own language," says Kory Stamper, whose Merriam-Webster dictionary is the modern-day version of Webster's work.

"If [we were] not British, but American, we needed to have an American language as well."

These days, the "balance of payments" language-wise is very much skewed the other way - with Americanisms used far more in Britain than the other way round, says Nunberg.

And though a few people do take umbrage at the use of British words in American English, they are in the minority, says Sheidlower.

"In the UK, the use of Americanisms is seen as a sign that culture is going to hell."

"But Americans think all British people are posh, so - aside from things that are fairly pretentious - no-one would mind."

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19670686

Update - 17/10/12

Readers to respond with examples of their own.

Autumn, n. The season between summer and winter. "'Autumn' is being used a lot more now instead of 'fall'." Alan, New York, US

Bloody, adj. and adv. An intensifier: absolute, downright, utter. Sometimes in a negative sense. "There have been several instances where I've heard the term 'bloody' in regular conversation. I understand the urge to say it in certain situations, but I react with a jolt when I hear it. It just seems so... indecent. The use of 'bloody', in my view, is iconically British. When Americans try to use it, I think they're trying to sound like Michael Caine. I feel it's a deliberate contrivance to associate themselves with some perceived prestige in sounding British. Some Americans think that by saying 'bloody' everybody will assume that they have four more IQ points than everyone else. It's understandable. And completely true." Marshall McCorcle, Dallas, Texas, US

Bum, n. The buttocks or posteriors (slang). "I have seen an increasing use of 'bum' for a person's backside here, both from local friends and from Americans on the web. While I am still perfectly fine with sitting on my butt, everyone else is getting all fancy talking about their bums." Jim Boyd, Des Moines, Iowa, US

Chav, n. Pejorative term to express young person who displays loutish behaviour, sometimes with connotations of low social status. "The word 'chav' is starting to catch on in the US, thanks to YouTube videos. I overheard someone say, 'Nah I'm not buying those sneakers man, they are so chavvy' at a sports retailer." Jeff Bagshaw, US

"Chav is becoming rather noticeable as a few Americans understand that not 'all British people are posh'. Boston/Cambridge is rife with international college students, so it may just be a blip, but I've heard it in a suburban grocery store in reference to some hooligans outside the store." Elaine Ashton, Lexington, Massachusetts, US

Cheeky, adj. Insolent or audacious in address; coolly impudent or presuming. "I have loved using the word cheeky for about 10 years now." Daniel Greene, Phoenix, Arizona, US

"Sometimes the British expression just says it better. I particularly like 'cheeky monkey'." G Griffin, Wethersfield, Connecticut, US

Cheers, sentence substitute. A drinking toast, goodbye, or thanks. "I am hearing people say goodbye to each other with the British 'cheers'. Since I have always had a fondness for the Brits and things British, I enjoy hearing it instead of the worn out 'later' or 'see ya later'. Like it or not, the Yanks and the Brits are cousins, and that's that. Cheers!" Paul Phillips, Marblehead, US

"Use of the word 'cheers' in place of 'thank you' is on the rise, perhaps among young people who have spent time with British people." Roddy McCalley, Joshua Tree, California, US

Fancy, v. With reference to fondness or liking. "Our US friends really enjoyed fancied, as in 'she fancied him', and an item, as in 'are you two an item?'." David Fryer, Muscat, Oman

"Fancy, as in I really fancy a pint." Paul W, New York City, US

Flat, n. An apartment on one floor of a building. "Just as British people are increasingly calling (particularly posh) flats 'apartments', my American friends report that property developers are now selling 'flats' in order to make them sound grander than they are." Beth, London

Frock, n. A girl's or woman's dress. "Until very recently, 'frock' only appeared in North America in British books. I first read it in the Narnia series. No-one ever said it, and no-one ever used it in print. No-one outside of readers of British literature would even have known what it meant. Now I see it in print media about fashion all the time. This just started happening in perhaps the past five years, certainly no more than 10 years." Lee Boal, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Gap year, n. A year's break taken by a student between leaving school and starting further education. "We didn't do gap years much until recently, so we didn't have our own term for it other than 'year off'. The point of language is to communicate. If a new word or term fills a - sorry - gap, then it doesn't matter where it's from." Alden O'Brien, Washington DC, US

Gobsmacked, adj. flabbergasted: struck dumb with awe or amazement. "I left the UK for the US more than 40 years ago. I first heard the word 'gobsmacked' about 10 years ago while visiting the UK. Perhaps because of the popularity of the programme Top Gear in the US, I now hear this used in the US." Duncan Connall, Rhode Island, US

"I heard President Obama use the word 'gobsmacked'. How's that for a Britishism?" Stuart Hamilton, North Vancouver, Canada

Holiday, n. A period in which a break is taken from work or studies for rest, travel, or recreation. "As a child I read Enid Blyton, and as an adult I was pleased to notice, at least in advertising, the use of the word 'holiday' to replace the less preferable, in my opinion, 'vacation'." Vicki Siska, Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Innit, adv. A contraction of isn't it? Used to invite agreement with a statement. "I can't stop saying 'innit' - it's the perfect sort of ('sort of' in this usage is also a popular Britishism) ending to an informal declarative statement." Carolyn, Las Vegas, US

Kit, n. A collection of personal effects or necessities. "I've noticed the adoption of the British term 'kit' for what athletes wear, in the place of what we Americans would generally call a 'uniform' or 'gear'. I notice it among those who follow tennis closely. People will refer to a player's 'kit', which often changes several times a year depending on the surface." Ana Mitric, Richmond, Virginia, US

Knickers, n. An undergarment for women covering the lower trunk and sometimes the thighs and having separate legs or leg-holes. "My American friend just recently said 'I got my knickers in quite a twist'. I was amazed she didn't say 'panties'." Nadine, Seattle, Washington, US

Loo, n. An informal word for lavatory. "Many of my friends now call the restroom 'the loo', although they haven't converted to saying 'loo-roll' - it's still toilet paper. Funny, since most of us won't say 'toilet' for the American 'bathroom'." Heather Revanna, Colorado, US

Mate, n. A friend, usually of the same sex: often used between males in direct address. "It seems that Yanks enjoy English swear words but I don't believe British people are using typical Americanisms. I've never heard a Englishman say 'dude' but I am hearing Americans say 'mate'. I also don't believe British people are so overtly conscious of foreign influence as much as Americans care to be, especially in the Midwest." Paul Knight-Kirby, Rockford, Illinois, US

Mobile, n. Short for mobile phone; a portable telephone that works by means of a cellular radio system ('cellphone' or 'cell' in standard American English). "I think the use of 'mobile' is a consequence of more international travel and wanting to be understood. I use mobile while elsewhere and it is creeping into my US-based language as well." Stuart Friedman, Middlesex, Vermont, US

Muppet, n. A stupid person; from the name for the puppets used in the TV programme The Muppet Show. "I am a Brit living in Idaho. One of the biggest Britishisms I see, and have helped perpetuate, is the term 'muppets' to refer to brainless individuals. I love this term as it conjures images of the loveable Muppets but in reference to a person it definitely conveys a lack of intelligence or substandard education. In this state there are plenty of 'muppets'." George Hemmings, Idaho, US

Numpty, n. A stupid person. "I have heard 'numpty' many times in the last few years. I get the impression that our American interpretation is more good-natured than it might be in the UK. It's used when calling a friend a numpty when he does or says something silly. Perhaps this is because there is a 'cuteness' to the pronunciation of the word." Jeffrey Timmons, Mayville, Wisconsin, US

Pop over, v. Come by for a visit. "Recently, I've heard the phrase 'pop over' used by several different people. ('Why don't I just pop over and pick them up?')." Susan Moore, Indio, California, US

Proper, adj. Appropriate or suited for some purpose. "I picked up the British use of 'proper' (as in 'a proper breakfast') while completing graduate work at Oxford in the mid-2000s. I hadn't realised just how prevalent it was in my own speech until a coworker asked me this year if it was a North Dakota thing, as that is the state where I grew up. It's definitely not a North Dakota thing." Jacquelyn Bengfort, Washington, DC, US

Queue, n. and v. A line of people, vehicles, etc, waiting for something. "In the 'queue'. More online forms and automated voice responses to banking transactions say 'queue' instead of 'line'. I'm guessing that it makes more sense to use it because people aren't actually standing in a line if they're on the phone." Guy Hait, Chesterfield, Michigan, US

"When I was in New York and waiting with an American friend to get into a bar, I called it a queue. She told me that in the US it was called a line. However, she commented that 'queue' was becoming more common because of the use of the term 'printer queue' in computing." David, Worcester

Roundabout, n. A road junction in which traffic streams circulate around a central island. "'Roundabout' is the official word used to describe the traffic circle that was recently completed in our rather small city. Many feel that this sounds pretentious. I am originally from California where we used the term 'traffic circle'." Beth, Bartlesville, Oklahoma, US

Row, n. and v. A noisy or violent argument, a quarrel with someone. "My husband and I often use the word 'row', most likely because we've heard it so often on public television. We think of it as a very common word among the Brits (like 'bloody') and we both assumed that most other people would recognise both the word and its meaning. Recently, my husband (who is very Southern and not bookish at all) used 'row' in a conversation with a buddy, only to learn that the friend had never even heard the word. We were astonished." Catherine Graves, Georgia, US

Shag, v. To copulate with. "You guys missed the best one. 'Shag' is such a brilliant word and Brits cringe because of the vulgarity of it, while Americans don't realise exactly how rude it is and run around saying it like a toddler repeating Daddy's accidental swear word slip. I love it when you guys cringe over us picking up your words." Leona, Oxford

"Thanks to Austin Powers, many Americans are familiar with the word 'shag', but don't seem to realise how truly coarse it is. It's used in polite society, and used to shock me, but now I accept the fact that usage differs in UK/US." Linda Michelini, Port Orange, Florida, US

Skint, adj. Penniless, broke. "To hear terms like 'skint' for being broke, 'agony aunt' for opinion columnists, or 'yobbo' for upstart children has surprised me. Such words would never have been heard in this part of the world until only two or three years ago. There are only minor UK and Irish ex-pat communities over here, so to have this sudden and growing use of Britishisms is a linguist's delight." Anthony Hughes, Omaha, US

Sussed, v. To work or figure out; to investigate, to discover the truth about (a person or thing). "My favourite Britishism has to be 'sussed' - 'I finally sussed out what he was talking about', 'leave them alone, they'll suss it out on their own'. I use it a lot and I always seem to have to explain it to people, then a few days on, I'll hear them using it and explaining it. It's a word/phrase that gets used often in my close circle of friends now." Bonnie Lee, Portland, Oregon, US

Twit, n. A fool; a stupid or ineffectual person. "It seems to me the word 'twit' - a Britishism heard on Monty Python - is being used more frequently here in the US." Rachel Newstead, Appleton, Wisconsin, US

Wonky, adj. Shaky or unsteady. "Some Britishisms that I have used include 'wonky', 'bung', and 'snarky'. They're fun, innit? It's hard for me to notice hearing these words in the US, because I talk to so many Brits online, so they sound normal now." Anne E, Pittsburgh, US

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19929249

Natetan

i hate how british people say 'is that x' on the phone instead of 'is this x' like we would say in american english.

another british thing that irks me is 'have you got' instead of 'do you have'.

and americans that go out of their way to use britishisms are the worse. i wish they would realize that more than 90% of british people are not posh and are probably less posh than the american who would try and use the britishism.

Be proud of your language americans.

Some of the purported britishisms listed like "Keen on" and "to book" don't seem out of the ordinary to me.

I will say I hear "Bloody hell" or rather "Bloody [insert word]" a lot more than I did several years ago. Hell, I say it from time to time.

Steelrain

Who is American and says "Do the washing up" instead of "Washing the dishes"

Really now...

i hate how british people say 'is that x' on the phone instead of 'is this x' like we would say in american english.

and americans that go out of their way to use britishisms are the worse. i wish they would realize that more than 90% of british people are not posh and are probably less posh than the american who would try and use the britishism.

Be proud of your language americans.

There's nothing more annoying than these types.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Aren't the British specifically known for their over-enunciated t's? If I say Manhatten or Harry Potter there ain't no t in there, they essentially get skipped. British people actually used to show this scene to me to prove that point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzWPCbZIJt8

Just in the first 30 seconds.. Harry's "not at all" or "Harry Potter". Again, in comparison, with a NJ/NY accent I basically say "nod-a-all.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Just imagine what it's like to hear British, American and Australian English on a daily basis.

I had this plus Canadian as well in my old office. It was awful. Our only common point was making fun of the Australians cause no one understood what they said.

Natetan

Bollocks - I've seen that South Park episode.

as an american ginger, let me tell you it is much less. When i lived in the UK the bizzare things they think about gingers like we have big dicks and are more sexual or something is completely foreign in the US.

Aren't the British specifically known for their over-enunciated t's? If I say Manhatten or Harry Potter there ain't no t in there, they essentially get skipped. British people actually used to show this scene to me to prove that point:

Just in the first 30 seconds.. Harry's "not at all" or "Harry Potter". Again, in comparison, with a NJ/NY accent I basically say "nod-a-all.

Spelling and accents are quite different though. Britain is three different countries don't forget.

I'm an expert

Spelling and accents are quite different though. Britain is three different countries don't forget.

Psh.. I know that. England, UK, and Britannia.

Wait no scratch the last one. The third is where Braveheart takes place.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

With the glottal stop, the t gets dropped completely, though: it becomes 'Harry Po'er' and 'no' a' all'.

Steelrain

Well, there are way too many people in the US trying to sound British.

I go to an American university abroad and this shit right here is an epidemic. I swear some people cross the Pacific and develop some entirely new personas that just stink of fakeness.

bluehat9

So saying you've "booked" a hotel room is too british? And it makes people mad? wtf? Is there nothing people won't get angry and fight about? lol

I'm an expert

I go to an American university abroad and this shit right here is an epidemic. I swear some people cross the Pacific and develop some entirely new personas that just stink of fakeness.

Borrowing words from other languages is trying to be fake..? Have I got some news for you!

I'm an expert

No....people trying to sound like they are from a different country definitely is though. I didn't know a 14 hour flight gave you an accent but please share this news with me.

You're saying you go to an American university in a foreign country and the people there, immersed in a different dialect, are picking up that dialect?

Now fix your spelling, America

This is the one thing I'll never let go. Putting pointless u's in words does not make them "correct".

EVOL 100%

Living in a place where English is rarely used my English is a weird mashup of British and American English.

Like that time in that other thread where I thought 'bangs' was the British way when it turns out that 'a fringe' is the British way.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The one British English thing I use that all Americans have hated is referring to entities composed of many parts as plurals. So like, 'the government are useless'.

I'm an expert

Uh....no? Unless developing a faux-British dialect in Japan is completely normal. Is this the news you wanted to share?

I don't understand how you think I'm supposed to read your mind that you're referring to a non-English speaking country where all of this is taking place. Japan, alright. I've spent the last decade living there. It's an utter mish-mash of dialects and borrowing of words among English speakers.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Ginger is the only one I can think of that I really hear being used.

thefro

"this" would indicate something close to the speaker.

"that" something further away.

If I'm talking to you directly over the phone, I'd say "Is this X?"... if I'm talking to you talking on the phone with someone else, I'd ask "Is that Y on the phone?"

Physical distance doesn't matter, but whether you're directly in conversation with someone or not.

Steelrain

I don't understand how you think I'm supposed to read your mind that you're referring to a non-English speaking country where all of this is taking place. Japan, alright. I've spent the last decade living there. It's an utter mish-mash of dialects and borrowing of words among English speakers.

Hey you're the one making all these assumptions as to what i'm saying. My original comment was talking about people in my school and you took that comment and ran with it. While Japan may have different people with different English dialects, people fresh off the plane don't magically pick them up as soon as they touch down. My comment was specifically talking about people at my school who develop a magic accent when they get here. I'm not talking about English teachers or whatever you're talking about.

I'm an expert

Hey you're the one making all these assumptions as to what i'm saying. My original comment was talking about people in my school and you took that comment and ran with it. While Japan may have different people from different English backgrounds, people fresh off the plane don't magically pick them up as soon as they touch down. My comment was specifically talking about people at my school who develop a magic accent when they get here. I'm not talking about English teachers or whatever you're talking about.

I mean if you're saying that Americans that just arrived to wherever you are start speaking in British accents, well then, I dunno what to say. That must be interesting. And no, I'm not speaking about English teachers lol.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Just a reminder of how the British Isles, UK, Great Britain are split up, lol.

What can we say, we like our Ts, preferably with a hobnob to dip in. :p

What do Americans use for cable car, as in the thing that transports people from mountain to mountain and is suspended by a cable? I know they use cable car for the trams in San Francisco but when I asked a friend about this he said ropeway, which is the Japanese term. He's been in Japan too long.

giga

Also overheard in the US...

Do the washing up - British for "wash the dishes"
Keen on/ keen to - a British way of saying "to like" or "be eager to"
Barman - bartender

Bit - as in "the best bit" of a film... Americans would usually say "part"
To book (eg a hotel) - Americans would say "reserve"
Called Joe - Americans say "named" Joe
To move house - a British way of saying "to move"
The bolded aren't common at all here in the south…

thefro

What do Americans use for cable car, as in the thing that transports people from mountain to mountain and is suspended by a cable? I know they use cable car for the trams in San Francisco but when I asked a friend about this he said ropeway, which is the Japanese term. He's been in Japan too long.

Aerial Tram(way) or cable car. I've heard both.

I'm an expert

Best story..

Myself, Canadian, and Australian in the lab. We start talking about our boss and how wound up she is. The Australian says something like "yeah, she really just needs a good root." The Canadian and I kind of make a confused face, like we can tell neither of us have heard that phrase but we both sort of decide to make an assumption. He says, "yeah, some herbal medicines can help with energy" to which I respond "uh aren't we talking about weed?". The Australian at this point is the most confused asking us what the hell we're talking about, and we reply "you're the one who brought up roots.. the fuck are you talking about.. a tree?". Needless to say she explained what she meant and we all laughed. Then the Canadian and I made fun of her some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom