• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[BBC News Magazine] Britishisms and the Britishisation of American English

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scuderia

Aren't the British specifically known for their over-enunciated t's? If I say Manhatten or Harry Potter there ain't no t in there, they essentially get skipped. British people actually used to show this scene to me to prove that point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzWPCbZIJt8

Just in the first 30 seconds.. Harry's "not at all" or "Harry Potter". Again, in comparison, with a NJ/NY accent I basically say "nod-a-all.

Completely depends on the region. I don't pronounce the t's at all, wheras you replace them with d's.

Also, the word 'the' is completely omitted from every sentence where i live.

Going to the shop becomes 'Going to shop' etc.

Meteorain

This is the one thing I'll never let go. Putting pointless u's in words does not make them "correct".

They are not pointless. The presence of silent letters in words indicate how the word should be pronounced.

If you don't have the u in colour, then you start having to pronounce the word like colon, but with an r at the end of it.

If I'm talking to you directly over the phone, I'd say "Is this X?"... if I'm talking to you talking on the phone with someone else, I'd ask "Is that Y on the phone?"

Physical distance doesn't matter, but whether you're directly in conversation with someone or not.

If it's direct conversation you should probably use "are you...?"

I thought he meant when you phone a place:

"Is that the Ministry of Silly Walks?" "Yes, this is the Ministry of Silly walks."

alternatively:

"Is this the Ministry of Silly Walks?" "No, this is the Ministry of Silly Walks."

Anyways, I could care less

Ha!

So why did America change the way some things are spelled anyway? Is it so they could call it "American English" like its their own rather than just using it the correct way! ;)

Just find it odd that people from America can say "well X word is spelt wrong/said wrong" when infact our language pre dates their entire history by a fair few hundred years!

I picked up a few words when I studied in Australia like Uni, hectic, and cheers (although in Boston cheers is more common than other US cities).

NekoFever

Aren't the British specifically known for their over-enunciated t's? If I say Manhatten or Harry Potter there ain't no t in there, they essentially get skipped. British people actually used to show this scene to me to prove that point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzWPCbZIJt8

Just in the first 30 seconds.. Harry's "not at all" or "Harry Potter". Again, in comparison, with a NJ/NY accent I basically say "nod-a-all.
Personally I'd drop the first 't' and kind of blend the last two words, so something like "No' at-all". Funny how we've already had a few different pronunciations even among the Brits.

They get pronounced in 'Harry Potter'.

Completely depends on the region. I don't pronounce the t's at all, wheras you replace them with d's.

Also, the word 'the' is completely omitted from every sentence where i live.

Going to the shop becomes 'Going to shop' etc.
There's a guy in the office here who does that. We all make fun of him because he sounds northern :p

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Ha!

So why did America change the way some things are spelled anyway? Is it so they could call it "American English" like its their own rather than just using it the correct way! ;)

Just find it odd that people from America can say "well X word is spelt wrong/said wrong" when infact our language pre dates their entire history by a fair few hundred years!

I think English spelling wasn't standardised until after America was settled. Two different systems.

ToxicAdam

Seems like a flimsy excuse to write yet another article on the differences between our languages.

Gotta use that English degree somehow.

This is the worst Americanism by a long way. It doesn't even make sense in the way the person saying it intends it to

You clearly haven't come in contact with "This is how we do.", which has pervaded American pop culture recently.

daviyoung

Banned
id like to add one goes to THE hospital.

one does not go to hospital.

most British people go to THE hospital, it's a regional accent that omits the 'the', as above

isn't "how we do" from some pop song? lyrics and quote references shouldn't count, they're like gutter slang

"this is how we do it" would have been copyrighted

Natetan

most British people go to THE hospital, it's a regional accent that omits the 'the', as above

isn't 'how we do' from some pop song? lyrics and quote references shouldn't count, they're like gutter slang

BBC will always report 'three men were taken to hospital for severe burns after their building....'

language is dynamic and changes constantly, always has and always will. i hate attempts at trying to control what is "correct" and what isn't... the only thing that matters is that people understand each other and that language keeps evolving and adapting to the modern world.

Natetan

no brits you are wrong. my form of english is better

your signage is too wordy too. one of the elevators (yep i said it) in the subway says 'the lift on the right will be the next lift'. i think there is a clearer way to say that.

Barmaley

Neo Member
Just a reminder of how the British Isles, UK, Great Britain are split up, lol.
diagram-british-isles.gif

What can we say, we like our Ts, preferably with a hobnob to dip in. :p

This map has obviously been drawn by a brit. Dat size of northern ireland.

Dali

... Often you can't pinpoint why a word or phrase gets picked up, she says. Chat up is a good example of a Britishism that has "snuck in"...

I'm just gonna guess jason statham. Much like a lot of britishisms it just sounded too "twee" until he came along :p

And what's up the called instead of named and booked being alien? I've used them all pretty much interchangebly for as long as I can remember. I mean a flight is booked. Sometimes its over-booked. Seems like its been this way forever.

'three men were taken to bank to return money they had stolen....'

?

As people have said you are talking about a specific bank, the one they stole money from.

"the" is predominantly used when the noun has been defined.

In you first example "taken to hospital this morning", no specific hospital has been mentioned.
If the writer was to say "They were taken to St. Mary's Hospital" then the noun has been defined. From that point on you would use the definite article "The hospital discharged the men later that afternoon."

OG Kush

im at uni right now and so many people don't even say "Lets go to shop" they'll just say "lets go shops".
And cunt is used a lot here, I do wonder why Americans see cunt as this crazy rude word?

Daeda

As a Dutchman who is basically free to choose his English accent (Dutch accents are horrible so if you want to speak English and not be laughed at you'd better move away from it) I'd say Brittish English pronunciation and spelling is probably better than American English. However, certain words I prefer the US version due to media influence.

Also, one thing Americans have to move away from fast: the overuse of the word "like". It's, like, super annoying.

You clearly haven't come in contact with "This is how we do.", which has pervaded American pop culture recently.

There are WAY too many things like this and similar "Americanisms" in our language. I remember wanting to choke someone the first time I heard "What the problem is?"

Meier

I use some of these but don't necessarily associate them with British origins. I definitely use ginger, keen to (never keen on), book, sell-by date and bit. I think another one that I use on occasion that I guess is kind of a Britishism is to refer to something that tastes good as nice or quite nice.

I've never heard these things used in the US:

Do the washing up - British for "wash the dishes"
Called Joe - Americans say "named" Joe
To move house - a British way of saying "to move"

Natetan

As a Dutchman who is basically free to choose his English accent (Dutch accents are horrible so if you want to speak English and not be laughed at you'd better move away from it) I'd say Brittish English pronunciation and spelling is probably better than American English. However, certain words I prefer the US version due to media influence.

Also, one thing Americans have to move away from fast: the overuse of the word "like". It's, like, super annoying.

thats just, like, your opinion man.

There are WAY too many things like this and similar "Americanisms" in our language. I remember wanting to choke someone the first time I heard "What the problem is?"

the best is all the baseball expressions :)

I still haven't heard an american refer to a vacation as going on holidays. When that happens, that will be the switch in my mind where we've crossed the line.

Jburton

Banned
British English ... Aka English English.

Lol I know, crazy isn't it.

Americans spell words wrong yet we have the incorrect spelling.

Arrogance is certainly an American trait.

Also its 'ask' not 'aks' ..... hear that all the time.

Shiv47

I have a friend who wishes he were English and both writes and speaks using a large number of British words and phrases. He's almost 40, so it's somewhat annoying and vaguely pathetic, but whatever.

genjiZERO

My family's use of words is becoming increasingly English. In part it's because we only really ever watch BBC, but also both my mum and myself are admitted Anglophiles.

Things I know I say..... loads, dodgy, mental, bloody/bleeding, cheers... I like to tell my girlfriend she looks "smart", but that's because it's a double entente. There are others too. I also, know I yod-coalesce - so Chyoozday for example. I also pronounce the h in herbs. Sometimes I like to say shedule and garage... but just to be a dick. Some of it was intentional, but a lot of it because stimulus from my mother over the years and watching too much Peep Show.

Why? Because England is culturally superior and American English sounds dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom