• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst sections/levels of the generation

We're leaving the actual gen, and I was thinking about the worst moments in the games during the gen. And there's 2 that greatly shock me, as awful exercises of game design, I can't believe someone played those and thought:"Yeah, this will do". A truly demostration of AAA game design.

Going Hunting - Battlefield 3

"WOHOO a jet mission!" that's what you think when you first see the level. But it's a lie, going hunting is 20 minutes of doing NOTHING or barely nothing. Actually it takes like 5 minutes before you can do more than pressing a few buttons.

All you do is keep the camera on enemies and launch a few flares...also more aiming ground objectives. Incredibly boring and dull is not enough to describe it, the worst is the whole level is surrounded with the BF theme, trying to give it an epic feel but you the player, is just barely watching a glorfied cutscene. A shitty change from Bad Company 1 in which you actually controlled a chopper on a more than decent level, just giving you more "arcade" controls of the MP chopper ones. Why in the world DICE couldn't do the same with BF3 baffles me.

The only good thing about the level is that you play as a woman...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uFmZxjK-X0

Chase scene - Uncharted 3

Uncharted 3 is already a very flawed game, but the chase scene is yet another example of AAA gaming having their priorities wrong. For more than five minutes, 90% of the time all you do is press forward in you left stick. Except the eventual need of pressing jump and the awful automatic plataforming. You can't catch him sooner and I feel that is almost impossible to lose him because the villain will wait for you. The whole scene tries to be exciting, but is not, you can't win and you can't lose, your performance don't matter and your input as a player is very minimal. A 5 minute scripted event masked as gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9fFPnZQ-zE

phanboy4

Every single turret sequence, every single QTE sequence, every single segment when you're dropped into a single-level room with chest-high walls and enemies spawn on other other side and you shoot at each other, every single end-game sequence where you have to fight waves of enemies for no really justifiable reason.

So basically, most singleplayer first and third person shooters.

Legitimately and specifically though, basically all of post-Ryan Bioshock, including the godawful final boss. Such a good game, such a generic and pointless boss.

d31m0s

Every single turret sequence, every single QTE sequence, every single segment when you're dropped into a single-level room with chest-high walls and enemies spawn on other other side and you shoot at each other, every single end-game sequence where you have to fight waves of enemies for no really justifiable reason.

So basically, most singleplayer first and third person shooters.

i second QTE it is what turned RE6 from good to just ok for me fast but thankfully they patched it

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Really? I would have thought Blighttown. LI wasn't a big deal for me compared to that, or even Sen's fortress. I liked that area a lot.

Blighttown is actually a pretty brilliantly designed area, Lost Izalith is just lazy.

Toxi

Banned
Dark Souls - Lost Izalith

Lost Izalith is such an obviously rushed level. The bloom is absurdly bright so that it's difficult to see. There are huge empty expanses that feel like they have less material than much smaller levels, and you have to traverse these big empty expanses again and again every time you die to the boss. The statues are pathetically slow and feel like they should have been in an earlier area of the game with narrower areas so that you couldn't evade them so easily. The dragon asses are lazily reused assets and are terrible to fight thanks to their high lock-on point and enormous damage; it doesn't help that there are over a dozen of them in one area. The giant blender octopi are a cool idea, but again they are disserviced by the level design that lets you easily walk around them. The frame-rate chugs, and unlike Blighttown the level doesn't have any real decent excuse.

And that's not even going into the Bed of Chaos. That boss fight was so awful, the developers apologized for it.

The only parts of the level that feel like decent Dark Souls are the fight with Kirk and the Daughter of Chaos, the Titanite Demon at the Daughter of Chaos entrance, and the Siegmeyer and Solaire encounters. Part of the reason these fights work is because the level design narrows down again so that it feels less empty and enemies feel more imposing.

Really? I would have thought Blighttown. LI wasn't a big deal for me compared to that, or even Sen's fortress. I liked that area a lot.
Blighttown is actually pretty fantastic aside from the low frame-rate. The level gives you loads of ways to progress, has a large variety of enemies, and throws new challenges at the player.

Lost Izalith isn't bad because it's hard, it's bad because feels too big and boring.

Tomb of the Giants in Dark Souls. Some of the most tragic, trial-and-error bullshit level design I've encountered. After I beat it, I actually quit my first playthrough of Dark Souls because that level made me so fucking angry. Just got over it a few weeks ago and started a new one.

Also, there was a level in inFAMOUS 2 -I think it's the one where you have to rescue Kuo- where they force you to fight like 40 dudes at this old mansion. The combat scenarios in this game were already bad, but this one took it to a whole new level. There were barely any places where you could recharge or make use of the traversal systems (and you really couldn't move the fight to a more advantageous location since the enemies just wouldn't follow you), and there were tons of rocket dudes just fucking constantly throwing crap your way. Easily the most frustrating mission I've played this gen.

LiK

GTFO! That's one of my favorite levels! DAT Art style, DAT emotion...mmmmm I wanna go play it right now. I've memorized the layout so navigating it is a breeze...If you had said 'The Library' I would have 100% agreed with you.

The Library was better than Cortana level, imo

LevityNYC

Banned
images

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lost Izalith from Dark Souls

Artistically harsh on the eyes with absurd amounts of lava everywhere, lazy copy and paste enemy placement that goes completetly against the methodical level design of the series, and is topped off with the horrendous Bed of Chaos. A boss fight that tries to channel Cinematic Gameplay™ that ends with a leap of faith that is easy to instantly die at, creating a poor mixture of the death punishment with something that clashes with the usual skill based deaths.

Desert Walk in Uncharted 3

I can't even comprehend what they were thinking when Naughty Dog put what must be 10 to 15 minutes of a linear slow walk section. It's the small linear walk segments that grate in games like Gears of War to the infinite power, on top of being ridiculously unbelievable even for the campy Uncharted-type story.

Cortana in Halo 3

The flood in Bungie's games has always been a head scratcher. Since Halo 1, the levels focused on them were hated. At this point, they had to know the level was bad...horribly cheap enemy that sticks to the wall and snipes with pixel perfect precision for your entire shield? Check. Confusing, ugly level design making progression through the level visually unsatisfying? Check. Some amazing gameplay segments being before and after this level, making it a roadblock to just playing through the game seamlessly without skipping a level? Check.

There are surely more I could think of, but these 3 immediately pop into mind.

Hexa

Entirety of Sonic 06, but particularly these. These frustrated the hell out of me as a kid. But now they don't look so bad.

Also, game was horrible but I miss the art style.

SpartanN92

Banned
The Library was better than Cortana level, imo

Really? Library always felt so bland. Cortana art wise is a masterpiece and the best level in Halo 3.

Master Chiefs trek through High Charity to save Cortana really stood out to me as a highlight of gaming. Very 'Sleeping Beauty' inspired if you think about it.

Sure shooting the flood can be a tad annoying at times (And overwhelming) but I think the story, art, music and emotion of that level REALLY made it stand out as one of my all time favorite levels in gaming.

But then again I'm also a die hard Halo fan, take that as you will.

NekoFever

Earth
in Darksiders II. Just awful. I don't know what they were thinking. I read a guide so that I could find all the collectables in one run without having to play it again.

I hated Cortana too. And this is speaking as someone who has only mild dislike for The Library.

gogosox8

Blighttown has a bad framerate but I don't think its designed poorly. There hardly anything in Lost Izalith. Hardly any enemies, gear, or loot and a poorly designed boss fight to boot. Felt like that area was rushed or they ran out of time or something when compared to the rest of the game.

Sonic 4 Episode 2: White Park Act 3

Apparently if you don't move fast enough in the zone, these bloody walruses form huge icebergs in the water, not allowing you to get past...so all you can do is lie down and drown. That's it, that's all you can do once they do that.

The last few chapters of Spec Ops: the Line get too hard for the sloppy cover mechanics and the whole experience breaks.

The ending is fantastic but I was too frustrated to enjoy it.

AJ_Wings

Metro 2033 - The Amoebas

Fuck the Amoeba section. Seriously, what the hell was 4A thinking when they designed that section.

Myriadis

Climbing the fucking rope at the end of Leon's campaign in Resident Evil 6...Also every Guitar hero.

I haven't played much of RE6, but I remember this part. Everyone in our group was trying to figure out how to do this QTE exactly and Leon just couldn't get further. The one who got it was my little sister :D

----

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Academia 500 AF
Most of the previous areas in that game were absolutely enjoyable to walk through or to explore, and then, towards the end of the game, you get this one.
It's basically a huge puzzle where you had to align rotating blocks to form pathways via switches and it takes ages getting somewhere. What an awful area, coming from Academia 4XX, which is one of the best of the whole game.

Come to think about it, I haven't played many games that really have awful sections otherwise. I remember more of them in past gens (like the last level in Mark of Kri or Mz.Ruby in Sly Cooper 1). Or I was very lucky with my games this gen.

iklQ9okivEM47.jpg

Halo 4: Reclaimer (busted, broken, lame). If not the worst shooter level this gen, then its at the very least the worst Halo level, with Halo 3's Cortana being a very close runner-up.

iboPwJoWq5B4Nv.jpg

Gears of War 3 boss fight. (like pounding your dick with a hammer)

Top Bottom