• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst sections/levels of the generation

CorvoSol

Entirety of Sonic 06, but particularly these. These frustrated the hell out of me as a kid. But now they don't look so bad.

Also, game was horrible but I miss the art style.

On that note, that mach speed section in the fire city was the worst. So much bullshit and then that. Uuuugh.

I haven't played much of RE6, but I remember this part. Everyone in our group was trying to figure out how to do this QTE exactly and Leon just couldn't get further. The one who got it was my little sister :D

----

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Academia 500 AF

Most of the previous areas in that game were absolutely enjoyable to walk through or to explore, and then, towards the end of the game, you get this one.
It's basically a huge puzzle where you had to align rotating blocks to form pathways via switches and it takes ages getting somewhere. What an awful area, coming from Academia 4XX, which is one of the best of the whole game.

Come to think about it, I haven't played many games that really have awful sections otherwise. I remember more of them in past gens (like the last level in Mark of Kri or Mz.Ruby in Sly Cooper 1). Or I was very lucky with my games this gen.

This reminds me: Academia 400 AF is the worst. HAVE FUN GETTING ATTACKED ALL THE STEPS.

Off the top of my head:
- Halo Anniversary: The Library. Oh why, oh why my god, in this remake, did they include this enormous pile of stinking manure with barely any modifications (at least you know you're not backtracking anymore) and double down by adding an achievement for clearing it in under thirty minutes? Is there any person in the planet who had actually enjoyed that level in the original Halo?

- Alone in the Dark: The whole damn game.

- The Last Remnant: The Fallen. Dear Lord, broken leveling mechanics and then they add this insanely hard battle where if you did not optimize your leveling, it's impossible to win? I know it's optional, but they went way too far.

Oh dear. I had no idea to what depths Assassin's Creed had really sunk....

If I wasn't already out after Brotherhood (tried 15 mins of Revelations and 2h of AC3) that would have killed it for me.
I still have AC3 in the plastic wrap (came with my PS3 slim bundle). Just haven't talked myself into opening it yet. The handholding and trial-and-error gameplay elements just.... gah.

My only real experience with Lost Izalith is looking down at it from the bridge (I was a member of the Chaos covenant), so I can't relate to the complaints. The boss was dumb, but not enough to bother me deeply.

I couldn't imagine what he'd be like to beat if I didn't look it up, though. I'd probably still be there, trying to attack his arms.

Anyways, my vote goes to the Fade. Tedious, ugly, and overly long. It was the worst of slogs.

Lijik

Metroid Other M is a flawed game to begin with but three recurring segments stand out in my mind as some of the worst shit I've had to do in that game:
  • Any pixel hunt segment
  • Any SLOW AS HELL over the shoulder segment that added nothing to the gameplay
  • Having to fight that same old boring miniboss like eight times in the last third

All three of those I cant believe someone looked at those sections and went "Ok yeah lets go with that" instead of killing them in the planning stage.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The last Connor misson in Assassin's Creed III

Also nearly every Desmond mission in Assassin's Creed III

.... fuck you, Assassin's Creed III

The prison level in hitman absolution. I expected this to be one of the better levels but it wasn't. The whole place was linear and it would be extremly hard to bypass the area through traditional hitman means of infiltration.

terrible

Banned
The part in Spec Ops: The Line when you have to run away from a chopper that's shooting at you. Took probably 20 tries before I finally survived it. It's completely random. So dumb.

Jarmel

Banned
God of War 1 - Underworld
Climbing these stupid fucking spinning blades

0a6c19.jpeg

edit- Ah it's not from this gen, reading skills are bad

If there is a videogame designer hell, the people who designed that should be made to physically do it.

Apath

Cortana - Halo 3
Bungie felt that after giving players one of the best Halo levels ever, they had to deliver the worst ever to make up for it. Only explanation I can think of.
Really? Library always felt so bland. Cortana art wise is a masterpiece and the best level in Halo 3.

Master Chiefs trek through High Charity to save Cortana really stood out to me as a highlight of gaming. Very 'Sleeping Beauty' inspired if you think about it.

Sure shooting the flood can be a tad annoying at times (And overwhelming) but I think the story, art, music and emotion of that level REALLY made it stand out as one of my all time favorite levels in gaming.

But then again I'm also a die hard Halo fan, take that as you will.
Everything looks the same. Turret Forms. Game play interruptions. Turret forms. Narrow corridors. Turret forms.

Raxus

Since everyone is having on AC III. The storm mission where you have to sink three ships by hitting their weak point.

Vally

As much as I love the Shadow Moses act in MGS4 for nostalgia reasons, the actual gameplay is so goddamn annoying because of the dwarf gekkos

This reminds me: Academia 400 AF is the worst. HAVE FUN GETTING ATTACKED ALL THE STEPS.

And this too

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The two shit parts in Academia in FFXIII, Bed of Chaos in Dark Souls, microwave hall in MGS4

Gy8kX3s.png

Duster

Killer Croc, mostly because they they hyped up that underwhelming boss battle throughout the game.

The
Mechonis factory
going on forever in Xenoblade Chronicles.

Nearly all of the DS games that involved blowing into the mic.

All of the Europe chapter in MGS4

Between following that whistling jackass around and everything to do with Eva, this chapter was a huge disappointment.

dark_chris

God of War 1 - Underworld
Climbing these stupid fucking spinning blades

0a6c19.jpeg

edit- Ah it's not from this gen, reading skills are bad

Everytime i played it, even my first time, it was easy.
I dunno why people have a hard time in this part.

Sulik2

The final chase in AC3 was terrible. Though I think they have patched it now.

The ship graveyard in Uncharted 3 was brutally unfun. Just guys and grenades everywhere and it went on forever.

LastNac

Desert Walk in Uncharted 3

I can't even comprehend what they were thinking when Naughty Dog put what must be 10 to 15 minutes of a linear slow walk section. It's the small linear walk segments that grate in games like Gears of War to the infinite power, on top of being ridiculously unbelievable even for the campy Uncharted-type story.

...what?

Are there anything worthwhile to the battlefield 3 campaign though? All I remember is screen flashing "RETURN TO COMBAT AREA" if I went ten inches in the wrong direction.

Not really, the only level I really enjoyed was the Paris one. But the jet mission is an extra mile of worthless.

Da Fuck!?!?

I loved that chase scene OP.

It has barely any gameplay and it drags for too long. Is a perfect example of visuals over substance.

AniHawk

the part after i got out of the thing at the start of bioshock (where the splicer comes in) until the point where i stopped playing the game forever.

On that note, that mach speed section in the fire city was the worst. So much bullshit and then that. Uuuugh.

The even worst part is that towards the end, you get attacked by minibosses...and it's just not very fun at all to go through

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
4024.dead-space.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

"I love this part" said no one ever.

EDIT: beaten like a necromorph

Gilgamesh

The 'Microwave Corridor' in MGS4 ...
MGS4 Act 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQZ5wp3zX-E

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea?
As much as I love the Shadow Moses act in MGS4 for nostalgia reasons, the actual gameplay is so goddamn annoying because of the dwarf gekkos

Haha I loved all of these sections. I was so invested in the scene for the corridor, the atmosphere of act 3 was incredible, and I had a lot of fun sneaking and nostalgia-ing in Shadow Moses.

I don't think there's anything I don't love about MGS4 honestly. It's one of my favorite games ever.

Top Bottom