• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Preview: Traditional Ratchet is back in 'Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus'

Amir0x

Banned
For PS3. $29.99. Disc and Digital versions. Video at link. New threads for new news or something ->

Long-time Insomniac employee and the visionary behind the Ratchet & Clank series, Brian Allgeier, noted that “the time was right to come back to the core series” with Into the Nexus after he'd spent time on Fuse. All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault were enjoyed by some and criticized by others, but it can’t be disputed that neither was a traditional, true-to-form Ratchet & Clank game. Allgeier said that doing a “family” and “competitive” game, respectively, allowed his team to finally “do something different,” but Into the Nexus finally allows them to go back in an old-school direction.

Oh, and as for the complete lack of innuendo in Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus’ name? One of Insomniac’s working titles for the game was Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nether Regions. But the developer eventually settled on Into the Nexus as its final title (it will be called just Ratchet & Clank: Nexus in Europe).

And as for a Vita iteration? It’s entirely possible, but it’s still up in the air. The Vita version of Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault met a whole lot of trouble during development and came to the market much later than it was supposed to. As such, Insomniac is cautious this time around. “Everyone would love for it to come to Vita,” Insomniac’s James Stevenson told me, “but it has to be up to the series’ standards” before the company makes any definitive statement.

In the meantime, rest assured Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus will be available for PlayStation 3 this fall both digitally and on disc -- and for $29.99 to boot.

Much more at Link
IGN Trailer and Youtube Mirror (thanks Vire)

rncintothenexuscinematicjpg-50f52d_640w.jpg

ON GAME LENGTH

It seems one of the primary concerns is that, due to the price, it'll be an extremely short game. This is what they have to say about that:

jstevenson said:
While it's not as big as A Crack in Time, it's much much larger than Q4B or FFA was. It's pretty meaty. New planets, lots of new weapons, lots of variety and stuff to do.

Link

And

The game will be available exclusively on PS3 this holiday, in stores and on PlayStation Network for an MSRP of $29.99. It’s our biggest downloadable Ratchet & Clank game yet, dwarfing the size of both Quest For Booty and Full Frontal Assault.

Thanks GUYMELEF for this:

ratch6slu.gif

Thanks DarkLordMalik for the following screens:

Tons more at his album here.

dengatron

anddddd it's ps3.

while it looks great, I think people were hoping for cross-platform or something new for ps4.
I'll pick it up later because it's cheap. Hope it's full length, which would be surprising at that price.

Bladenic

Excited, but only $30 makes me think it still won't be a full fledged Ratchet game with super high production values.

That, or the series is just not AAA anymore.

I honestly don't understand Sony, they're pushing out The Last of Us, Beyond, Puppeteer, Gran Turismo, & a God of War game for PS3 in 2013, but leaving PS4 to launch with Knack, Drive Club, and Killzone. Surely 1 or 2 of those could have been cross-gen, or moved to PS4 exclusively.

Amir0x

Banned
I honestly don't understand Sony, they're pushing out The Last of Us, Beyond, Puppeteer, Gran Turismo, & a God of War game for PS3 in 2013, but leaving PS4 to launch with Knack, Drive Club, and Killzone. Surely 1 or 2 of those could have been cross-gen, or moved to PS4 exclusively.

It's brilliant. Sure, it might slow down PS4 sales in the short term (although.. does the short term matter? PS4 is sold out!), but it builds something entirely more important: consumer confidence.

Consumers can buy a Sony product secure in the knowledge they will support the system with legit big titles for many, many years, even at the end of its life. This can reverberate and have positive repercussions when customers remember this when they are on the market for a PS4. It's called building good customer relations :)

Tucah

you speak so well
I wonder how long it's going to be if it's just $30. I'm definitely in, assuming it's an improvement over Insomniac's past few titles.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
PS3 lineup this year has been far more interesting than PS4, lol.

Nice price, but it makes me immediately think the length is short.

Tuck

Looks amazing. $29.99? So bought. But... how long is it gonna be? For that price it must be pretty short... Hopefully jstevenson can shed some light on that.

EDIT: Also, thank god this is PS3. One more reason not to buy a PS4 this year!

Alienous

I wonder how long it's going to be if it's just $30. I'm definitely in, assuming it's an improvement over Insomniac's past few titles.

If Insomniac view FUSE as a $60 experience (as they are entitled to), I am skeptical about the amount of content in this for $30.

But I have no idea either way. Hopefully it'll be good.

Vire

$30 probably means it's not a full length game. :/

PS3 is also disappointing. Framerate looks ROUGH in spots.

Still, looks nice.

Raonak

Banned
awww yeah!

quite like the price point. im totally fine with a shorter experience, especially this late in the gen.

Top Bottom