• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart peaks at less than 9k concurrent players on Steam, third worst PC launch for PlayStation game

Draugoth

Gold Member

Source

Launched on July 26, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart only peaked at 8,757 concurrent players (CCU) on Steam (via SteamDB).

ratchet-steamdb.jpg

It currently holds a “Very Positive” rating based on 670 user reviews, with 84% of them being positive.

This makes Rift Apart the third worst launch on PC for a PlayStation game, only above Returnal (6,691 CCU) and Sackboy: A Big Adventure (610 CCU). There is also a PC version of Helldivers, with 6,744 peak CCU, but its developer Arrowhead is not SIE’s first-party studio.

Here are the top 5 tiles from PlayStation Studios by peak CCU on Steam:

• God of War — 73,529 CCU, 96% rating (based on 75k reviews);
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered — 66,436 CCU, 96% rating (based on 51k reviews);
  • Horizon Zero Dawn — 56,557 CCU, 87% rating (based on 74k reviews);
  • The Last of Us Part I — 36,496 CCU, 59% rating (based on 20k reviews);
  • Days Gone — 27,450 CCU, 92% rating (based on 43k reviews).
playstation-steamdb.jpg

What about Rift Apart’s technical state and the SSD buzz?​

One of the key features of Rift Apart is the ability to hop between different dimensions, which was marketed as something only possible thanks to PS5’s fast SSD, i.e. technically impossible on PS4. Although the PC version can run on an HDD, the experience is definitely not the same (or, frankly said, really bad).

As clearly seen in Digital Foundry’s test, there is not much difference between using 3.5GB/s and 7.1GB/s NVMe drives, but those dimension-hopping sequences get extremely painful with slower SATA SSDs or HDDs.

ratchet-gif.gif

Rift Apart also became the first PC game to incorporate GPU decompression through the DirectStorage 1.2 API to speed up load times and asset streaming. As Nixxes told Digital Foundry, larger assets such as textures are decompressed using the GPU, while smaller assets like models are decompressed on the CPU.

Kilau

good, hopefully it drops to 0 and all Sony games remains exclusive on Playstation once again
You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. They need to do a better job with the ports and making the games still feel like a part of PlayStation not apart from PlayStation.

Last edited:

Three

Third worst is also probably wrong because I'm sure the likes of Sackboy likely did lower concurrent numbers and they're not on your list.

EDIT: I see you mentioned it but didn't show it in the image and excluded Helldivers from the list. My mistake.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Wasn't it established that concurrent players aren't a reliable metric? I vaguely recall Sony confirming that Uncharted 4 did well on PC despite low concurrent players.

Also, those Returnal numbers hurt my soul. The game is a fucking blast and one of the best new Sony IPs in years. Is it because the protagonist is a middle-age not-so-attractive white woman?

Also, people who cry about open-world and cinematic-driven games will cry for a long time. Look at the top-sellers. When Sony does try different stuff, you ignore it and keep buying the same shit over and over again. No wonder they keep churning out those games; that's what people want.

T4keD0wN

While not great its far from bad with more context:
  • old port at high price
  • zero previous presence on the platform
  • been given away for free elsewhere
  • unpopular genre on the platform
  • people who were in a rush to play it already did
  • kids might see it and buy it on Epic because they have been conditioned to put free things into their cart every week for few years and then go through the checkout process, Tim Sweeney is banking on the process of slowly programming kids to get used to going through the buying for free process in order to get them to eventually start buying games for real? Maybe that time is now :LOL: (hilarious, i know, it was too late to stop typing)
I am more surprised it managed to reach 80% of what uncharted and 65% of what miles morales did.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I doubt it had higher numbers on PS5 at launch so... These topics mean nothing and are plain stupid. It's not a huge title, it's not even a multiplayer and its a game most ppl will prolly finish in a 2 days or so.

T-Cake

Personally I’ve just been conditioned over many years to only buy PC games when they’re extremely cheap (<£10) or wait until they are part of a bundle. So although I love the PlayStation ports, I won’t be buying them at full price. Which obviously isn’t ideal as I might be shooting myself in the foot if sales are bad and Sony stop doing PC versions.

Three

Wasn't it established that concurrent players aren't a reliable metric? I vaguely recall Sony confirming that Uncharted 4 did well on PC despite low concurrent players.
For a multiplayer or GaaS type game where continued engagement and retention is important it's a good metric but for a single player game I'm not sure what useful information it would provide. Can you guage sales from it? You can just look at sales charts to try and get an idea of sales performance instead and it's currently middling.

Mowcno

It's a 3d Platformer on PC. Comparing it to other titles in the same genre:

Sonic Frontiers - 19,181
Racthet & Clank Rift Apart - 8,757
A Hat in Time - 7,312
Yooka-Laylee - 6,508
Spyro Reignited - 4,198
Crash Nsane Trilogy - 3,755
Sonic Forces - 2,058
Sonic Generations - 1,686
Crash 4 - 454 (Launched much later, originally battle.net exclusive)
Sonic Lost World - 252
Sonic Colors Ultimate - 90

What were you expecting?

Even ignoring that 3d platformers are an underperforming genre on PC compared to Consoles these numbers are still reasonable in comparison to GoW for example. GoW sold over 20m on PS4, 70k peak on Steam. Ratchet games typically sell 2-4m lifetime on PlayStation consoles, so why would it's peak be anywhere close to titles like GoW, Horizon or Spider-man.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
These type of platformers are not particularly suited for the PC market.
It's nice that Sony ported this game. But there are many other games in Sony's catalog that are more desirable.

Curiously, Remnant 2 is doing 10 times the player count.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Years late and launched at close to full price, this was never going to do well.

Last edited:
I would like to know how many people are playing Ratchet: Torrent apart in a pirated way, does Sony really pay off these ports? They are ridiculous sales figures compared to what he sold on PS5.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
I doubt it had higher numbers on PS5 at launch so... These topics mean nothing and are plain stupid. It's not a huge title, it's not even a multiplayer and its a game most ppl will prolly finish in a 2 days or so.
I bet it had much higher numbers. Marketing vs. no marketing.

bender

What time is it?
Not terribly surprising which is a shame as it is one of the better game that Sony's ported to PC.

Shut0wen

Does rachet ever sell well? Never saw the appeal even on the ps2 days, loved spyro and everyone of insomnia games except the rachet series

Top Bottom