• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Constant chest pain, I'm scared

Status
Not open for further replies.
For about the last 5 days I've had this constant, mild chest pain. I'm only 25 so I just ignored it for the first few days but now I'm starting to worry. I called my doc today and told them about it. They wanted me to go to the ER but i said I'd rather not so I have an appointment at the doc office in about an hour. I'm pretty nervous right now. My Gpa died of heart failure and my dad has had heart issues for awhile.

DJ_Lae

On the positive side there are things that can cause chest pain that are not heart related.

It being constant almost sounds like a good thing in this case, rather than getting worse when you move around or exercise.

Eidan

Glad you went to see your doctor. Hopefully everything turns out ok. I went to the doctor for similar issues, and I also have a family history of heart problems. Turned out my heart was fine, and that I just suffered from bad anxiety.

Are you feeling tightness or just pain? Could not be related to your heart at all but seriously, seek some medical treatment.

JeTmAn81

Angina (chest pain) is not completely uncommon, so don't freak out just yet. You're doing the right thing going to the doctor, so hopefully you'll be fine. I will pray for you.

Yeah definitely don't put it off any longer. My dad was getting these attacks of shortness of breathe. He had previously had a scan done and had lesions in his lungs for some reason, so he figured it was just that. Turned out he had a partial blockage in his heart. Because he had waited so long a cluster of new blood vessels grew around it and they couldn't properly put a stent in. Now he has to take a medication for it. All in all I'd definitely get it looked at.

Although don't panic too much. I was getting chest pains for a few days, and I decided before I went to the doctor I would take an antacid. Within like 20 mins the pain was gone and I felt fantastic. Had never had hearburn prior to that.

Too much WacArnolds.

reference.gif

Could be Heart Burn

Having gone through serious heart burn/G.E.R.D. it's not something to fuck with, so doctor's trip works well for that. Untreated it can lead to esophogeal cancer.

Good luck OP. I would think that it lasting 5 days is a good sign that it's not heart related (as I assume you'd drop dead), but then, I'm not a doctor so what the crap do I know.

Yeah definitely don't put it off any longer. My dad was getting these attacks of shortness of breathe. He had previously had a scan done and had lesions in his lungs for some reason, so he figured it was just that. Turned out he had a partial blockage in his heart. Because he had waited so long a cluster of new blood vessels grew around it and they couldn't properly put a stent in. Now he has to take a medication for it. All in all I'd definitely get it looked at.

Although don't panic too much. I was getting chest pains for a few days, and I decided before I went to the doctor I would take an antacid. Within like 20 mins the pain was gone and I felt fantastic. Had never had hearburn prior to that.

i get heartburn all the time but this feels more like a pressure or force on my chest

Ephemeris

I suffer from them from time to time.

The ER is honestly where you should go unless you have insurance concerns.

Chris R

I had chest pain months ago too so I went to the doctor, he did his tests and said nothing was majorly wrong with me, just exercise more and lose weight.

I just try to not think about it all the time, and don't plan on running to the doctor when it flairs up again unless the pain is REALLY bad. It might have just been heart burn he said :(

edit:
watch me die from a heart related disease in the next year or two :< that or a aneurysm

Malfunky

How's your overall health?

Listen, you're young. Let the doctor tell you anything before you worry yourself. There's no use getting yourself worked up right now. Just relax as much as possible, but stay prepared.

Matugi

Is your heart beat going abnormally slow or fast? The fact that you're still alive indicates it's not an infarcation. You may have some minor clot there but my guess is it's probably tachycardia or something similar because of some sort of reaction. idk

EDIT: if anything you may have a-fib which in and of itself is relatively harmless and occurs in a pretty large portion of the population. most cases don't require the putting in of a pacemaker. just hope it's not v-fib because that would indicate infarction. i'm getting ahead of myself here

jmdajr

It's probably just stress dude. Have you gotten any rest lately?

My brother in law went to the ER for chest pains (he's like 29)

It was nothing more than exhaustion, dehydration, and a cold.

As said it could be a million things, I had a pinched nerve in my neck that whenever I turned a certain way I would get a shooting pain through my chest, it was damn scary until a doctor figured it out.

Hopefully all goes well at the doctor.

andycapps

You are probably nervous about finals and it's contributing to that sensation. But still, go to the Dr and have it checked out.

BFIB

Had similar symptoms last year. Went to the doctor, and he said it was most likely due to stress.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Its good you are going to a doctor, what other symptoms are you experiencing? Pain in center of chest, or left/right? Did you experience heart burn? do you have a history of heart problems? Think about these, since your doc will ask them.

I had something like that a year ago. My workmates forced me to call the hospital and they wanted me in the emergency room ASAP. I went down, took some tests, didn't look severe. I then had to stay all day as they took more tests. Ended up staying the night, a few more tests and then I got to go home. It was mostly annoying and lots of waiting, but it was nice that they took it seriously. The verdict was that my heart and lungs are just fine. Probably anxiety or heart burn. I'm trying to eat better now, so I'm doing alright.

I think the entire ordeal cost me about $30.

Angina is nothing to mess around with, seeing a doctor is the best thing. However don't get too worked up about it in the meantime, it could be any number of things, most of them not serious.

Tacitus_

Could be your diet. I had chest pains a couple years ago and my then girlfriend begged me to go see the doctor. The fancy machine showed nothing wrong and they showed me receipt for some pills to help with my digestion.

GutsOfThor

Have you fallen lately? It could be costochondritis. I fell on my front side at work around Christmas and a couple months later I was having chest pains so I went to the doctor and found out that my rib cartilage was inflamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom