• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Bethesda is misleading gamers about Prey 2, Arkane is in fact making game

Quentyn

EUFER7x.png

IE3j1QI.png

The rumors are true and the quotes dismissing them are misleading you. Arkane Studios is making Prey 2. Officials at the company behind the game just didn't want you to know yet.

Arkane Austin is working on a rebooted version of Prey 2, although representatives from both the studio and their parent company Bethesda have denied as much. We reported that we'd heard it in May, and today, thanks to some e-mails obtained by Kotaku, we can confirm that it's true..

Pretty embarrassing for Bethesda. Great job jschreier.

http://kotaku.com/leaked-e-mails-suggest-bethesda-misled-gamers-about-pre-1149092622

V_Ben

Banned
Great work by Jason Schrier, I wonder what the comment will be from Bethesda this time!

Jason, your next task is to just leak the last version of Human Head's Prey 2 build. Go on, bet you can't do it ;)

I could have told you from day one that they were misleading people about Prey 2...by creating a game that had little to nothing to do with the original game in the first place!

Grief.exe

Some other context

Leaked Prey 2 images from the Human Head build

You guys know Bethesda owns Arkane, so they can make them do whatever they want them to do. During production of Dishonored, Bethesda started to arbitrarily reject milestones. In doing so, the then-independent-Arkane had to find ways to pay their staff since successful milestones are what feeds the bank. Knowing that Arkane wasn't making their milestones on time and potentially going to suffer internally, such as loosing staff, or ultimately shutting down, Bethesda's parent company Zenimax stepped in to help Arkane out by floating them loans during this "quality issue" period. That seemed nice of Zenimax to help out Arkane, right?

Now since Bethesda had been rejecting milestones because they didn't believe Arkane was maintaining the quality they originally promised, Arkane's also severely behind schedule because time has been spent correctly and addressing Bethesda's issues with previously rejected milestones.

Since Zenimax is also the company that's invested in Bethesda, they start telling Arkane they have serious concerns about their ability to finish the Dishonored. Even though they originally floating them loans to keep Arkane running, they now give them an ultimatum: pay back the loans or sell them the studio for some piddly amount. If Arkane doesn't do either, then Zenimax will take them court for breach of contract since they're now so far behind in the project.

Remember, it's because Zenimax's company Bethesda has been rejecting milestones that put Arkane behind in the first place.

The outcome is Arkane reluctantly sold their independence to Zenimax so they could continue the creative work they started and at the very least have public recognition for their efforts.

This is why Bethesda can tell Arkane to do whatever they want them to do now.

What would you do if you were making Prey 2 and started wondering why Bethesda was suddenly treating you differently? You'd start looking at past independent developers Bethesda has had deals with to understand if it's a developer issue or a publisher issue. When you discover Bethesda started to reject milestones at not only Arkane, but Splash Damage and inXile, you start to see a pattern. Knowing the fate of Arkane, if you were the Prey 2 developer would just sit there and see what happens or would you confront the publisher?

r0bLRHX.png

Yawnier

Banned
Good news actually, Prey 2 looked insane from those leaked screenshots and there isn't nearly enough Cyberpunk games in the industry aside from a select few.

sflufan

Banned
Good news actually, Prey 2 looked insane from those leaked screenshots and there isn't nearly enough Cyberpunk games in the industry aside from a select few.

I seriously doubt the Arkane Austin version of Prey 2 will look anything like the Human Head version of Prey 2.

Azih

I have no insider knowledge on any of this but from the public comments that Human Head and Zenimax/Bethesda have put out I am of the opinion that Zenimax/Bethesda are the true publisher 'sneak fucks'.

It would explain why Arkane was independent when they started working on Dishonoured but are now fully Zenimax's bitch. They probably tried to pull the same shitty stunt on Human Head.

Bethesda are dirty assholes because they want to decide when they announce the project they work on?

Interesting.

This is probably the least sleazy thing rumored about Bethesda and Prey 2 at the moment. So, I don't think the reactions are entirely about this particular piece of P2 news.

TheGrue

Why still hold on to the Prey name? Does this name really hold that much weight that they'd reboot a game that never came out and make it a totally different game but called Prey 2?

sflufan

Banned
After the whole cancellation debacle, seems like everyone is sort of owed an explanation about what the hell is going on.

No, "everyone" really isn't "owed" anything at all from Bethesda.

"Everyone" didn't make an investment of any sort so there is no obligation on the part of Bethesda.

You don't understand the difference between "no comment" and an outright lie?

Yes I do :)

I think they claimed something that was true when it was announced, it's not anymore, and I respect the fact they want to prepare a proper announcement before telling the world. ESPECIALLY given the fact that last time they announced P2, it was obviously too early :)

Why are they even titling this game Prey 2? Who is generally excited by that franchise? The first game was an above average shooter with some cool ideas and it's now 7 years old. Not exactly something to turn into a franchise.

It's sad that this kind of unprofessional behaviour won't bite Bethesda in the ass next time they want to drip feed out some exclusive information about their next game.

e.mail reads really sloppy. I hope this isn't indicative of all the people at Bethesda. I thought more highly of them.

Whole thing reminds me of LucasArts vs. Free Radical

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Man, these sleazy Bethesda stories are starting to get on my nerves. I've never been a fan of Fallout/Elder Scrolls (thanks for nothing, Skyrim PS3), so it won't be difficult for me to stop buying their stuff.

No, "everyone" really isn't "owed" anything at all from Bethesda.

"Everyone" didn't make an investment of any sort so there is no obligation on the part of Bethesda.

Not really what I'm talking about.

All the public knows about this game is that it had an amazing E3 presentation, and then got cancelled. Rather unceremoniously at that; remember the last-minute tweets from employees about Bethesda pulling the plug on GDC talks about the game?

Of course no one is literally "owed" anything, but Bethesda's PR around this game has been bungled terribly. If the game really is still in development, they are helping absolutely no one - not disappointed fans, not the developers, not themselves - by keeping the cards close to their chest and continuing to let "Bethesda fucked up Prey 2 for all of us" be the reigning public opinion.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yes I do :)

I think they claimed something that was true when it was announced, it's not anymore, and I respect the fact they want to prepare a proper announcement before telling the world. ESPECIALLY given the fact that last time they announced P2, it was obviously too early :)

This is a very... industry position.

Do you work there per chance? :p

I mean they just gave an interview where they said this was a lie: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...Feed:+RockPaperShotgun+(Rock,+Paper,+Shotgun)

Prey 2:

RPS: So you guys and Prey 2? Definitely not happening? I already asked Pete Hines, but just to be absolutely sure.

Colantonio: No. We’ve been looking at where that rumor came from, and I really don’t know.

Grief.exe

I never knew Prey 2 stuff went this deep.

It goes pretty far down the rabbit hole on this one, and the evidence keep cropping up all the way back to the start of Zenimax.

This is not the first time this has happened, and it is not the last. Independent Developers, do not partner with Bethesda/Zenimax.

macewank

So wait.

A developer who wasn't ready for us to know they were doing something misled the press to make it seem like they weren't doing it?

Why the hell is this noteworthy, let alone newsworthy? It happens all the time.

Top Bottom