• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese sales of The Wonderful 101 are not wonderful...at all...

Taken from the marketing thread. All credit goes to Nirolak for the numbers:

Well the results came in from Japan:

Famitsu: The Wonderful 101: 6,663
Media Create: The Wonderful 101: 5,258

Well here are the openings for their other games in Japan:

Metal Gear Rising: 335,791 (PS3)
Bayonetta: 138,430 (PS3) + 66,211 (360) = 204,641
Vanquish: 51,705 (PS3) + 11,798 (360) = 63,503
Anarchy Reigns: 21,199 (PS3) + 4,170 (360) = 25,369
Infinite Space: 40,266 (DS)
Mad World: 4,651 (Wii)

This is shaping up to be a bomba of insane proportions. So what went wrong?

This doesn't actually affect Platinum's financial security in any way though, right?
They work on a 'publisher pays and collects the profits' model right? So, it's Nintendo's problem?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Good thing Nintendo absorbed the whole cost of development. This shouldn't affect PG financially right?

It was always a game that only the hardcore followed or cared about and Nintendo Directs aren't marketing to anyone besides the hardcore. Bayonetta 2 will similarly disappoint.

Jrs3000

Have they been running commercials and other advertisement for it like they did pikmin 3? I think it will be a big hit in NA.

That wonderful 101 direct put to good use.

Not sure why they even bother with direct's as a form of advertisement when only hardcore nintendo fans watch them.

Pyrokai

This doesn't actually affect Platinum's financial security in any way though, right?
They work on a 'publisher pays and collects the profits' model right? So, it's Nintendo's problem?

I believe Nintendo will be the one losing money considering they financed this game.

antitrop

More or less. There may have been bonuses payable on sales goals, or something similar. Probably not.

elhav

Kamiya did complain that Nintendo are not marketing the game nearly enough.
He knew something like this can happen, much like with Madworld. Really though, that's ridiculously low.

NotLiquid

Yeah.

The only thing it affects will be Nintendo's willingness, or even Platinum's willingness to work with them. If Bayonetta 2 doesn't do well for them, we might not see many more collaborations with them. It's a huge bummer considering I honestly believe TW101 is the most packed and uniquely crafted game they've put out, and Platinum + Nintendo feels like a match in heaven as far as ideas and games go.

Bayonetta 2 to PS4 please.

I have a Wii-U but I rather have it on a next gen console.

Port begging is bannable I thought.

sakipon

Makes me feel bad. I do wish all the best for Platinum and Kamiya, but unfortunately I didn't really like the gameplay when playing the demo. I will buy Bayo 2, but wonder if they're already losing hope.

Zomba13

Such a shame. Platinum are yet to make a game that I think is bad (Not played that DS game I think the made). At worst Madworld was alright. Interesting visuals and style but repetitive combat.

I love Platinum so much and the stuff Clover did. W101 is pretty damn sweet once you get a handle on the controls.
I hope Bayo2 doesn't do as bad.

On the bright side, it will be easy for Bayonetta 2 to make better numbers.

... yeah, it's pretty sad. I wish Sega didn't dropped PG.

FreeMufasa

We need a new word. Bomba is cool wen a game sells like 30k, or like what Pikmin 3 did.

But 5k................and being one of the major releases for the system. Wow.

Top Bottom