• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: If Xbox One Tanks, It Could Be Microsoft's Last Console

alterego

Depending on the Xbox One's performance and the new direction Microsoft takes under a new CEO, the console could be the company's last attempt at gaming hardware. "I think this is a possibility," DFC Intelligence analyst David Cole told GamesIndustry International. "We have always wondered how long Microsoft would stay with the game hardware business. Their strategy for Xbox One clearly looks like it will not be a success on a grand scale."

Asif Khan, CEO of Panoptic Management Consultants, pointed out that the Xbox is "not what brings home the donuts for Microsoft."

Link

sirap

Isn't this obvious? They've said so themselves that the Xbox One is the last console you need. Any other hardware improvements will be substituted with the Power of the Cloud.

In many ways, this COULD be the end of the line for consoles. At some point, it will be easier to give everyone a thin client machine, and have servers be the real consoles.

Services like Gaikai and OnLive will really take off once we get great broadband penetration in the US.

BibiMaghoo

Software and services. This is what they do now.

Xbox is a means to an end. Pushing their services through a piece of hardware, that in the future will not be required when their services live on.

I would not be surprised if this was the last console, especially if it does well. They will have no use for it in the future.

w00zey

This seems like common sense. Though if it does tank I think someone would buy it. Would be kinda cool if it happens and a passionate gaming company took over.

Edit:silver linings.

Makes sense. The xbox project overall has been a failure in terms of profits. If Xbox One fails, I can't see MS making another gaming system especially when there major investors looking to get rid of the division.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
In many ways, this COULD be the end of the line for consoles. At some point, it will be easier to give everyone a thin client machine, and have servers be the real consoles.

Services like Gaikai and OnLive will really take off once we get great broadband penetration in the US.

6-odd years isn't long enough for that to happen, though; I'd say a dedicated streaming box from one of the Big Three as its next console is at least 2-3 generations away. It's only in recent years that ubiquitous high-speed broadband has become a hot button issue in many countries.

Yep. The same is true for the Playstation. If either tank I think both parent companies will look long and hard at throwing in the towel - especially considering that neither division makes them a lot of money during good years.

Server based gaming fucking sucks. Even having on my pc via my iPad on my home network sucks. Game runs at over 60 fps but looks like it's running at 30. Terrible.

Nikodemos

Disappointing if that ends up happening. Competition, yo.
Ehh. I don't put much stock in stuff like this. The PS2 had no competition (its market share was over twice the other three combined) and game design didn't become atrophied or formulaic.

6-odd years isn't long enough for that to happen, though; I'd say a dedicated streaming box from one of the Big Three as its next console is at least 2-3 generations away. It's only in recent years that ubiquitous high-speed broadband has become a hot button issue in many countries.

In the last 6 years, my internet speed went from 10mbps to 75mbps for the same price.

Top Bottom