• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: If Xbox One Tanks, It Could Be Microsoft's Last Console

It wouldn't just be those two. Like I said Steambox is coming as another "similar to PC architecture" game system. Sony, Nintendo, Valve, (and maybe MS).

It will be interesting when that happens since we would have a non-publicly traded company in the mix with no shareholders breathing down their neck.

if microsoft goes out of the gaming industry maybe ,just maybe PC gaming will get a boost

Chemo

That would be great, Microsoft is a pretty terrible company. That said, I like competition, so I hope that if Microsoft bowed out of the console race, a better company would rise up to keep Sony on their toes.

njean777

Much more chance of Sony pulling out than MS in my opinion.

If they didn't pull out after the horrendous PS3 launch, I don't see it happening anytime soon. I am amazed they turned it around and Xbox went to third place. If anything it shows Sony is still a force to consider. If they can fully botch a launch +3 years and still top MS then MS has an even harder time ahead of them this time.

Drazgul

Their strategy for Xbox One clearly looks like it will not be a success on a grand scale.

So I guess 'merely' being profitable wouldn't be good enough?

Interesting times we live in, for sure.

I think this is the outcome for any of the big three. They have way too much invested in software and R&D costs to survive a flop.

njean777

Who's Going To Take Microsoft Place?

Amazon? Lmao

Apple? LMao

Microsoft Isn't Going Anywhere. I thought this was Gaf, you people posting like i'm in systemwars.

I don't think Apple is the one you want to laugh at. If anybody is able to take the console world by storm it is either Valve or Apple. So laughing at them isn't the smartest thing to do.

KoopaTheCasual

lol, wow. Nice catch. Yea, not saying that his prediction is not true (since if the least profitable section of a company tanking would almost automatically get itself nixed), but this guy really doesn't seem to have much credibility to stand on.

Random tangent time:

I don't understand people who think MS leaving would be the "death of the industry". Was console gaming non-existent before the Xbox? Is there a rule against new companies joining the dedicated hardware race? It already looks like Amazon wants to try its hand in gaming, and I'm hoping (although no signs say it will ever happen) that Google will one day decide to join the gaming sector.

The industry is always in flux, nothing is set in stone, and no company has a permanent seat. This goes for Sony and Nintendo as well.

EDIT: Serious question. Does anyone know how well Chromebooks sell? Is it profitable for Google? That would be a good indication if they see any future in the hardware biz.

guek

Banned
So I guess 'merely' being profitable wouldn't be good enough?

Interesting times we live in, for sure.

It really depends on the level of profitability. Even if XB1 only makes a pittance in profit, MS might deem it worthwhile as a means of spreading their brand name and mindshare. MS, like any mega-corporation, puts a lot of stock in developing a consumer culture around their products.

Bazooka

Banned
I believe if Ms or Sony have a really hard time this generation then they would team up for the next console and not go it alone. There is too much money to lose by leaving the industry altogether. Both sides have great technology at there disposal, and I could not imagine after dumping all this money into these consoles these last few years that they would throw in the towel.

th4tguy

The difference between Sony and MS this gen is very simple. Microsoft isn't afraid to drop Xbox as a product. Sony is terrified of losing PS as a product.

The people I've spoken to on both sides have been clear about this. If Xbox doesn't do well (they want it to; don't misunderstand), they have an exit plan. If the PS doesn't do well, Sony is screwed in a lot of ways.

LeleSocho

Banned
If Microsoft Goes The Game Industry Goes Also. How many threads will be made though? -__-

Who's Going To Take Microsoft Place?

Amazon? Lmao

Apple? LMao

Microsoft Isn't Going Anywhere. I thought this was Gaf, you people posting like i'm in systemwars.

uurQhiI.gif

RayMaker

Banned
I would be shocked if the X1 didnt sell at least 60 mill in 7 years.

As far as gaming consoles go, the X1 is a very good system.

Sony having a slightly more powerful system, a cheaper launch price and a few hardcore gamers smittten does by no means indicate a long term victory.

Theres as much chance in the PS4 failing as the X1, We do not know how the mass market will react.

casuals, your hardcore cod/madden/fifa player who does not know what the hell a gigaflop or indie game is, the dads the moms and the sisters - these people who make up 80% of console sales still dont know anywthing about these next gen consoles are still up for grabbs these demographics are not sold on system specs or ''indie games'', there sold on brand recognition,price,value,cool adverts of the latest games,TV,netflix,skype,video chat and casual games.

It won't tank.

Also the first two posts here, ugh.

Agree with all of this post.

I agree that if it WERE to tank, then yeah, it could cripple or kill MS on the console front but it won't tank. People will still buy an XB1.

As far as the two really tired memes posted in this thread: are people so thick that they don't see people getting slammed for still posting them three months later?

Amazon could produce a competitive product, as well as the ubiquitous steambox. In the event MS did bow out, gaming would survive.

What makes you think that will happen? If it is a timed exclusive there is no way it's only 6 months.

I would say Titanfall will hit PS4 spring/fall 2015 if at all.

Dont get ea twisted, its all about the $$$ they have stockholders to answer to... Soooo there is no way they wait until 2015...they'd want to keep the game revalent so nobody is gonna be interested in a old game come 2015 when bigger and better games will be released.

In all honesty when i found out the game doesn't have single player i lost interest.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sad that some people come in here trolling. Losing Xbox would make the gameindustry way worse

I'd be fine with it considering we have them to thank for online play paywalls, and of course we know their intentions with what they wanted before the 180.

Sony and Nintendo alone would be nice, and a new third player would probably emerge.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The thread title is obvious; what's interesting is not what happens if the Xbone tanks but whether it actually will.

It's their own fault, not some catastrophic chain of unforeseen circumstances.

The future of the division is out of their control though. They've been gunning for change in that area for a long time, they fucks up have really kill the hype and done huge damage to the brand. Their position they are in now is not unrecoverable as seen by Playstation this generation.

... it just so happens that all these investors are popping up their heads at the wrong time for the Xbox division.

Worst case scenario MS has set Sony on a good path going forward.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
If they didn't pull out after the horrendous PS3 launch, I don't see it happening anytime soon. I am amazed they turned it around and Xbox went to third place. If anything it shows Sony is still a force to consider. If they can fully botch a launch +3 years and still top MS then MS has an even harder time ahead of them this time.

Sony lost a massive amount of marketshare this gen, MS greatly increased marketshare and made a lot more money than Sony. That doesn't equate to MS coming third.

Playsation is is a declining business and Sony are a struggling company, no one could blame them for pulling out. In saying that no one could blame MS either.

Shion

No way.

They have made huge investments and are well positioned for the future.

They clearly intend to transform PlayStation into a cloud-based service that can be accessed by any device with Internet capability at anytime from anywhere.

Krakn3Dfx

Except for the fact that a lot of the higher ups at MS have always been skeptical of the XBox Division, and the threat of shutting it down has been in play since day one. You never hear about anyone at Sony actively looking to shut down their entertainment division, despite the stumble with the PS3 early on, the Playstation name has remained one of the stakes holding up the console gaming tent.

By the same token, Microsoft literally stumbled into early generation dominance this time around just by being out of the gate a year earlier. I had an OG XBox and watched MS completely dump the hardware as soon as the 360 hit the market, and I see them all but doing the exact same thing now with the 360, while Sony continues to announce pretty big titles for the PS3 even with the PS4 on the horizon.

From the standpoint of which company I believe is in it for the long haul, I can look behind Sony and see a company that continued to support their products to at least a serviceable degree for years after it would have been acceptable and in some cases even preferable for them not to, while Microsoft's past is littered with hardware they put out and abandoned within months due to initial poor sales figures.

So when you say Sony has more of a chance of pulling out instead of standing firm and working to correct mistakes, I'm not completely sure where that's coming from. No company is perfect, but when I look at Nintendo and Sony, I see companies much more eager to satisfy their customer base and fix the ills of their product lines than Microsoft will ever be.

Gaz_RB

I really hope Microsoft doesn't step out of the gaming business. They've actually contributed a lot- and got Sony to get their shit together.

Don't go! I swear I'll buy an Xbox One as soon as Halo comes out!

Hindle

Banned
If MS didn't pull out when they were losing billions with the original Xbox, and if they didn't pull out when the RROD disaster cost them billions then I doubt they'll be pulling out with the X1 or future consoles.

Thier aim is to make money with the brand or break even, and thanks to XBL subscriptions theyve started to do that.

tripskylark

Neo Member
I think the XBone will do just fine. Let's not jump to conclusions and wait until the numbers are in.

Yeah, I'm sure the xbox one will be fine..M$ isn't doomed.

Unless they'd want to sell off their xbox division...didn't investors want this or something?

Somewhere deep inside Microsoft's Redmond campus is a box containing Jay Allard perfectly frozen in carbonte, awaiting such a day when he can be defrosted.

alstein

If Microsoft Goes The Game Industry Goes Also. How many threads will be made though? -__-

No, the Console Game Industry goes. Gaming would survive the loss of the big-box console market, or its shift to PC. I don't think publishers would be happy with a Sony console monopoly, and would put resources into PC as a failsafe.

The elimination of NIntendo and Microsoft from that market would make the PC its replacement. (if Microsoft fails, Nintendo also fails in this scenario)

You still have handheld an mobile, and you also will have a segment that wants console games but not the PS4. You'd probably see Sony eventually shifting gears in that scenario and making their version of a Steambox at the end of the decade years as the PS5, or someone tries to come up with a souped- up machine using Android that hooks to the TV (a Roku on roids)

That said, I'm not willing to bury Microsoft just yet, even if they're suffering from severe foot-in-mouth disease and rupture of the competitive advantage.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Except for the fact that a lot of the higher ups at MS have always been skeptical of the XBox Division, and the threat of shutting it down has been in play since day one. You never hear about anyone at Sony actively looking to shut down their entertainment division, despite the stumble with the PS3 early on, the Playstation name has remained one of the stakes holding up the console gaming tent.

By the same token, Microsoft literally stumbled into early generation dominance this time around just by being out of the gate a year earlier. I had an OG XBox and watched MS completely dump the hardware as soon as the 360 hit the market, and I see them all but doing the exact same thing now with the 360, while Sony continues to announce pretty big titles for the PS3 even with the PS4 on the horizon.

From the standpoint of which company I believe is in it for the long haul, I can look behind Sony and see a company that continued to support their products to at least a serviceable degree for years after it would have been acceptable and in some cases even preferable for them not to, while Microsoft's past is littered with hardware they put out and abandoned within months due to initial poor sales figures.

So when you say Sony has more of a chance of pulling out instead of standing firm and working to correct mistakes, I'm not completely sure where that's coming from. No company is perfect, but when I look at Nintendo and Sony, I see companies much more eager to satisfy their customer base and fix the ills of their product lines than Microsoft will ever be.

See my above post, they are losing marksetshare, if they can't reverse the decline they may just decide to pull out.

Top Bottom