• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: If Xbox One Tanks, It Could Be Microsoft's Last Console

pestul

Well, I think that post about the gaming industry 'going' is a little dramatic.. yet he has a point when it comes to lack of competition. Even the most die-hard fanboy wetdreamer should not wish for MS to go anywhere (or Sony/Nintendo for that matter).

If they go, competition goes and we are back to the good ol' days of not giving a fuck about making great games and let third parties do all the work for you. Even if the XOne is not a great console, no one should pray for it's failure. More competition is always better.

But the Cloud?

Have you seen Titanfall?

Time for new jokes, kids.

Lmao NeoGAF's Worst Posts candidate.

I do think he has a point. Many franchises have been succesful because of the 360's install base and MS push, one way or another. There's is no way this industry dies if x, y and z company die, but it's clear that many multiplatform franchise will sell a lot, lot less than they did in a 360/PS3 enviroment, for example.

The industry dies once MS dies? No. Didn't happen with Sega, or Atari.

I really hope this won't happen because competitions leads to better offer for us.

Sony would never have made such efforts with PS4 if it wasn't for counter Microsoft's Xbox One.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
If Microsoft Goes The Game Industry Goes Also. How many threads will be made though? -__-

Q8VeU.gif

Parmenide

They made a huge investment, doing "just" fine may not be enough but i really hope they will remain in the industry, i don't want another 599$.

I agree with the second analyst. I don't see it happening. Xbox is huge as a brand and has been doing well the past few years.

If it was to happen, I'd be pretty upset (competition is always good for consumers). Microsoft helped bring console gaming to what it is today and I acknowledge that even mainly as a Sony fan.

BigDug13

In many ways, this COULD be the end of the line for consoles. At some point, it will be easier to give everyone a thin client machine, and have servers be the real consoles.

Services like Gaikai and OnLive will really take off once we get great broadband penetration in the US.

Nah, people keep harping on "digital is the future" and "physical is dead" but I can still buy Compact Disc music and hard copies of PC games. It will still be many, many years before these companies will switch to thin clients because it greatly reduces their worldwide audience and based on each individual's internet speeds, it could significantly reduce the quality of the gaming experience. And they would need to have Gaikai servers in every single country to make the latency worthwhile enough, and would that be more financially feasible to have Gaikai servers supported in every single major country than simply selling hardware consoles with a guaranteed level of input latency and video/audio quality?

JoeInky

Sad that some people come in here trolling. Losing Xbox would make the gameindustry way worse

We'd still have PC, Sony and Nintendo to pick up the slack, I can't imagine myself lamenting the loss of Microsoft's IPs or consoles.

Maybe then Rare would get a new direction, hopefully one pointing towards their former glory, but I doubt that would happen.

I do know that /v/ would have a field day if Microsoft bowed out of the console business, I'd love to see the catalog during that event.

Hindle

Banned
The anaylists are saying the Xbox One will be the last Xbox console?

Phew, that means there'll be many more consoles to come from MS guys.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
In the last 6 years, my internet speed went from 10mbps to 75mbps for the same price.

That's all well and good (I'm still stuck on 6.5~7Mbps ADSL :(), but my point is that a fibre rollout on a national scale is an immense undertaking regardless of the footprint. Even if Google announced today that it were rolling out FTTH to every US city, it'd be far from almost complete by the time Sony, MS and Nintendo were poised to plan their next consoles.

Ehh. I don't put much stock in stuff like this. The PS2 had no competition (its market share was over twice the other three combined) and game design didn't become atrophied or formulaic.
Yeah but the success of the PS2 was responsible for the hubris that brought us the early days of the PS3.

njean777

In many ways, this COULD be the end of the line for consoles. At some point, it will be easier to give everyone a thin client machine, and have servers be the real consoles.

Services like Gaikai and OnLive will really take off once we get great broadband penetration in the US.

And you see companies doing this? Cuz I havent in the last 3 years. I say in about 10 years 6mb connections may (very big may) be everywhere.

In the last 6 years, my internet speed went from 10mbps to 75mbps for the same price.

That is great You represent all of America/world.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Any of the big three exiting the gaming scene would be a huge downer (for me at least), but if any had to go I would rather it be Microsoft. The seemed less focused on gaming then the other two already and I think a lot of their big exclusives would probably still be made, just for other consoles.

Ashadur

Neo Member
If Microsoft Goes The Game Industry Goes Also. How many threads will be made though? -__-

The gaming industry would still live on, the only problem we would face is less innovation due to the lack of competition. People would have to accept with what is available on the market at the given moment, an example of this situation would be if Sony was not in the picture in the coming generation, then we would have a non-consumer friendly system (talking about the Xbox One before all the policy changes).

BigDug13

I do think he has a point. Many franchises have been succesful because of the 360's install base and MS push, one way or another. There's is no way this industry dies if x, y and z company die, but it's clear that many multiplatform franchise will sell a lot, lot less than they did in a 360/PS3 enviroment, for example.

The industry dies once MS dies? No. Didn't happen with Sega, or Atari.

It depends. Someone will pick up the slack. Valve will see the open gap left behind in console gaming as the perfect place to stick their Steambox for example.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You Guys Really Think The Industry Will Survive With Only Sony And NIntendo?

Like Be Real.

Competition Is Good.

Consumers have shown that there's enough room for three big players in the field, so if one were to exit I imagine another company would take its place.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Like Be Real.

Competition Is Good.

Someone will take Microsoft's spot. It's ridiculous to think that Microsoft leaving the game would lead to an industry-wide crash.

(Also, it's really not necessary to capitalize every word.)

360 made money, not sure why they'd kill the Xbox if it's profitable again this round. DAT greed

They are saying if the xbox one is a bomb. They aren't saying "if the xbox one makes money we think microsoft will get rid of it."

If the xbox one shows signs of growth and microsoft thinks they can keep moving forward in the market after this gen in a way that will make them money they will keep moving forward. If the xbox one is a disaster and the prospects of getting back to profitability look grim - they'll shitcan it, much like they did the zune, surface, windows phone 7, etc. Microsoft makes its money on windows and their office software. The rest of this stuff is hoping that something catches fire - but if it doesn't they aren't shy about pulling the plug.

And like I said, the same is true for sony. There are 8 divisions in Sony, the division the playstation is in was 7th in revenue last year. The playstation isn't as important to sony as some people think it is. If the PS4 were to bomb I think kaz would be pretty much forced to drop the playstation division and either reform as a third party publisher or just sell it all off. Sony actually makes most of its money in insurance. Smart phones are a growing business for them also.

BigDug13

Like Be Real.

Competition Is Good.

It wouldn't just be those two. Like I said Steambox is coming as another "similar to PC architecture" game system. Sony, Nintendo, Valve, (and maybe MS).

It will be interesting when that happens since we would have a non-publicly traded company in the mix with no shareholders breathing down their neck.

Hindle

Banned
It's already been stated but if MS or Sony suffer more losses in the region of $4BN, then both will take a long hard look at thier gaming divisions.

Who's Going To Take Microsoft Place?

Amazon? Lmao

Apple? LMao

Microsoft Isn't Going Anywhere. I thought this was Gaf, you people posting like i'm in systemwars.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Kind of an obvious statement to make, if anything it's even more true for Sony and Nintendo. With MS it comes down to the direction the company wants to go in after Ballmer more than the success of the Xbox One, for Sony and Nintendo it would just be a matter of survival to not make another console if they failed.

JawzPause

Xbox dies, Sony joins forces with Nintendo creating the Sontendo to compete with Gaben's Steambox.
The future looks great.

Top Bottom