• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MirrorMoon EP | A Space Oddity

lefantome

header_292x136.jpg

Trailer: http://vimeo.com/73787733

3h126.gif

Mirrormoon is a space puzzle/exploration game where you have the ability to manipulate the mirroring satellite floating above your planetoid.
There is an entire galaxy(online shared thanks to the magical power of the cloud) of procedurally generated planets to explore and mark with your name.

The game was released yesterday on Steam / Humble Store and will be available on Ouya sooner or later.
I was in the beta but I didn't play it so much until tonight.

The atmosphere is really cool and the puzzles interesting.
The fun fact is that, except for the movement/powers tutorials, no explanations were given, so you have to figure how to play and, most difficult, how to pilot the ship by yourself. (Thankfully a guide just appeared on steam tonight)
It was an IGF 2013 finalist.

Some of the screenshot I made:

3AF70013ED97110E5D8A37B5B7D7ECDF14936D95

The mirror moon

F5F6C87AB1C5D6B0261F9E20A8389B11E8EF8DD8

Artifcial eclipse

32F64E84F5C6EB1A55790569FA49F093226A6AC1

What's happening?

141B229D471780A327A422B9790B03782B7EA451

Some gaffers are already playing (created by Sinatar in season 2)

t would be better if there was the ability to share planets, at least to set the coordinates

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ah, I remember playing a demo of this a while back. It looks interesting as always, will try it out.

Oh, wasn't expecting an OT for this game. Some of us in the Indie Games thread have been playing it and are really into it. I hope a soundtrack gets released for it.

lefantome

Oh, wasn't expecting an OT for this game. Some of us in the Indie Games thread have been playing it and are really into it. I hope a soundtrack gets released for it.

yes, the ambient soundtrack is awesome.

I've seen some pics of interesting planets in the other thread, I need the coordinates

Station42

Wow an OT on NeoGAF! <3

Hi! Yes we'll release the OST in a couple of weeks, it's 24 tracks and more than 50 minutes long so we want to take time to put it together in the appropriate formats and quality (also maybe add some extras to the download? we'll see!)
I'll keep you posted!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Wow an OT on NeoGAF! <3

Hi! Yes we'll release the OST in a couple of weeks, it's 24 tracks and more than 50 minutes long so we want to take time to put it together in the appropriate formats and quality (also maybe add some extras to the download? we'll see!)
I'll keep you posted!

Sorry for bothering about that again, but why did you decide to take down the concept demo? It was just a short representation of the concept and would work wonders as a free trial version for threads like these. Indies without a free playable version hinder their sales immensely in my opinion.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I wonder if that's my NeoGAF star in the OP, was the second system I named.

Game is absolutely barmy but I'm enjoying it.

derExperte

Sorry for bothering about that again, but why did you decide to take down the concept demo? It was just a short representation of the concept and would work wonders as a free trial version for threads like these. Indies without a free playable version hinder their sales immensely in my opinion.

Yeah, despite reading impressions I still have not really an idea how this plays and if I would enjoy it. A small demo could really help.

Lijik

The aesthetics of this game are really eyecatching. Was looking at it last night on steam
Will need to purchase it soon!

xyzls

Bought this without thinking because http://kotaku.com/more-abstract-puzzle-games-like-mirrormoon-ep-please-1257687793

The Doom 2 controls (WS to move back forward, AD to turn left right) feel like a strange choice for a first person game at first, but eventually make sense when you figure out what your mouse does.

I'm really liking this game. It gives you no leads other than what your controls are and the little bits of abstract text, so when you figure it out and results happen, its pretty satisfying.

I've gotten to the point where it says "Side A complete". I didn't even know there was a side A and B. This is going to take a while.

Station42

No worries, thanks for asking!

I see your point, but we really believe that the concept game we made almost two years ago is not representative of what MirrorMoon EP is today.

I think it would end up just spoiling the game to players and provide an overall inferior experience in terms of mood, polish, depth, context, etc of an important part of the game.

Because of the nature of MirrorMoon EP (nothing is explained, all needs to be discovered) it's quite complicated to make a demo. Right now we don't have the resources for that :( I promise that if we ever will I'll post about it in here!

yes, the ambient soundtrack is awesome.

I've seen some pics of interesting planets in the other thread, I need the coordinates

I got the coordinates for the Kentucky Route Zero reference from another Steam user named marcolago. Here is what he said:

Yes, I've named it EGOA00, but I don't rememeber any planet's name near this one.
Ill check again and let you know soon

Ok, the nearest planets' name are GLOB, BORING and REDSKY.
The coordinates are (I suppose) 540 426 868

It's in Season 3. I'm sure it's in all seasons but so far this is the only season it's been found in.

I'll keep you posted!

Good to know!

This game is very intriguing and the idea of naming your own planet sounds awesome. But what is this game? I'd love to hear some GAF impressions.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah I'd really appreciated extended neoGAF impressions.

What is the gameplay like, if there is any? You say the "puzzles are really good", can you give an example of what the puzzles are like? I loved your comment that they don't tell you how to operate the space ship or what to do outside of the tutorial. Would you say there is a lot of gameplay, or is it over fairly quickly with limited replay value?

Apologizes if some of these questions were answered and I missed it.

Edit: And as I post this, someone shows where the impressions are. Thanks

Haunted

I thought the demo/prototype showed some promise, but didn't really go anywhere.

If the full game manages to expand on this (which I'm led to believe with this mention of a spaceship and several planets instead of just the one), I'm pretty excited to give this another shot.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yeah I'd really appreciated extended neoGAF impressions.

What is the gameplay like, if there is any? You say the "puzzles are really good", can you give an example of what the puzzles are like? I loved your comment that they don't tell you how to operate the space ship or what to do outside of the tutorial. Would you say there is a lot of gameplay, or is it over fairly quickly with limited replay value?

Apologizes if some of these questions were answered and I missed it.

Edit: And as I post this, someone shows where the impressions are. Thanks

I feel that describing the puzzles would kind of ruin what makes the game so neat.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

I see your point, but we really believe that the concept game we made almost two years ago is not representative of what MirrorMoon EP is today.

I think it would end up just spoiling the game to players and provide an overall inferior experience in terms of mood, polish, depth, context, etc of an important part of the game.

Because of the nature of MirrorMoon EP (nothing is explained, all needs to be discovered) it's quite complicated to make a demo. Right now we don't have the resources for that :( I promise that if we ever will I'll post about it in here!

While I do understand that, the reason you actually have this small cult following on NeoGAF now is simply that original tech demo. If you never made that available to anyone and simply put the EP version up for sale, you wouldnt get the sales from this place that you now do. In fact it was pure luck that I also included it in one of the Indie threads this year (where I also included some stuff from last year that people seemed to miss) or otherwise most gaf users that advertised the game for you now wouldnt have heard about it or felt it might have been too expensive now to simply try it. I wouldnt have bought the game either if I hadnt played the tech demo, yet I did buy it immediately upon release because the tech demo,even if having some issues, was perfectly capable of showing why its a very interesting concept. Why wouldnt other gamers have the same "Neat concept! I wonder how they expanded it" -> "WOAH, thats a really cool evolution of this idea into a full game!"-thought that most of us had, have too?

I definitely see your issue, but I dont agree. You are more likely to lose customers that cant try the game in this crucial launch period by not having this tech demo, than by having it online and people misunderstanding how much you improved the full version. Most people usually just want to know how a game concept "feels" before they feel invested enough to plunk down money for this game instead of one of the other 100 indies that released during the same month. I think gamers in that particular genre are intelligent enough to read the devs statement about a tech demo and in which way it got expanded to a full version. You should have a trial run or something and make the tech demo available for one week to see if it raises the purchases of the full game now that the full game is buyable. The tech demo was out for a 1-2 years, so I dont think a 1 week trial run would hurt either.

Just a suggestion on my side though that having some sort of tech demo is better than having none at all in this very, very tight Indie space.

In any case, even though I dont think the concept worked perfectly, I liked it overall, so best of luck with the game :)

Hofmann

Don't expect it to be a puzzle game, though. They're quite simple. It's all about exploration and discovery, both when it comes to mechanics and the world. Similar to Noby Noby, when it comes to collective goal you have to reach, and a bit Starseed Pilgrim, but where Starseed fails after the initial awe, MirrorMoon opens up and becomes even better. There are so many things to explore - thousands of planets with breathtaking sights, ambient sounds, I advise anyone to play it with a volume turned up or with headphones, 'cause the sound in this game becomes your closest companion, and tons of secrets, waiting to be unveiled. I played it for 15 hours and I still crave for more.

bounchfx

damn, saw this and never heard of it, was super interested but I wasn't sure if it would be up my alley.. might pick it up this weekend.

REALLY love the art and graphics. Almost picked it up on Steam the other day having not ever heard of it based on that alone. Would love to hear more impressions.

Personally I'd have really liked to have tried the concept demo. I enjoy exploration and discovery in games, but I'm on the fence about MirrorMoon. Even with all the great impressions, a concept game or demo is even better than those because it captures the true essence of what the full game will be like more than any review ever could

For example I was on the fence about the indie brawler Aces Wild. The trailer looked fun and the reviews were good, but like Mirrormoon, it's the type of game that I needed to play first to see if it was something I wanted to spend money on. Luckily I was able to track down an old freeware alpha version. And ten minutes later, I had bought the full game

Indies need demos. Especially an experimental abstract game like yours, that isn't a 2D platformer or point/click adventure game where the general community has an basic idea how it plays. So I urge you to please make the concept game/demo available again.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
For those asking for impressions, here's mine that I posted on another forum after my first night with the game. I've experienced a bit more since then so I'll work on a more complete review for later.
Lock up your wallet, hide the credit card bill from your wife. Steamguard your $gaben and run for your life. I'm here to tell you a little bit about a recent release on steam, Mirrormoon EP.

A8C3B0597EE539398BD9BD630FA83425B6471F1F

From the very moment I flipped a switch in the strange mechanisms controlling the spaceship, I knew I was at home. The stylized console swayed ever so slightly, waiting for me to discover what each neon switch would lead to. Some caused beeps, others bwoops, some made things move and other things appear to activate. But there was nary an actual instruction to be found. Through experimentation I hit a thing which sent me to a blinding white screen, moments after I found myself on the surface of an extremely martian planet.

1DDD342B380B2A2B637667658C4DAEA38CD76D10

In my hands lay the key to all things. I just hadn't realized it yet. Scattered around the surface of the planet I found addons to this tool. These addons were equally as indecypherable as their spaceship counterparts. What the hell is a triplet of blue circles getting wedged behind the red pyramid going to do in this thing? Sure enough I found out, only I dare not say because I feel like spelling it out for you would only dillute part of what makes Mirrormoon EP such an amazing experience.

6A3D315E8C51B2E5AD5EAC27F94600C2C2C8D5CC

You all know me and my love for things like Proteus. Beyond the gorgeous pastel coloring found in both and the extremely simple styles, they both hold pure exploration at heart. Here there is (or may be, anyways) an actual goal to be met but you're free to explore how you please and land on any of the thousand+ stars in the entire system. Each star is home to some form of puzzle that must be solved using a mixture of elements. If you're the first person to successfully complete the puzzle for that star, you earn the right to name it. Everyone who chooses to opt-in to the online portion will have their star chart updated with the findings of the community. It's an interesting fragmented approach to multiplayer, and supposedly the secret at large will only be discovered by cooperating with fellow explorers.

032C0247B7DC4183E334920FD1D1306A0CD87B93

In my hours with the beta and very improved final product, I've put myself into the shoes of a detective on a mission in the far depths of space (perhaps with a quirky AI sidekick). Mirrormoon EP manages to comfort me with its aesthetics, propel me by never telling me anything at all and captures the feeling of true isolation. Even though there are hundreds of others visiting stars and trying to help pull together the meaning of the bigger picture, you will never see them or hear from them save for the names of the stars they've left behind in their path. Learning how a star's puzzles operate is a very pleasing aspect that rewards someone like me. I don't know what's going to happen by the end of this "season" but I'm really anticipating progress in a way no other game has really been able to achieve.

When I started typing this, I set it to real-time travel to a very distant star. As I finish, I still have a few minutes left to go with nothing but the green glow of these screens and the low hum of spacenoise. I have no idea what to expect when I land on this star, but I can't wait to find out.

CzarTim

I really like this game. Just roaming around the stars is great. I've been playing it as I listen to podcasts, and it's great background.

Hofmann

I really like this game. Just roaming around the stars is great. I've been playing it as I listen to podcasts, and it's great background.

Listening to podcast, noooo.

One time I landed on a small and grey, seemingly barren planet with only an orb and nothing else. As I was getting ready to leave, the track started to play. It was so beautiful I ended up going in circles for about ten minutes, listening to those repetitive mantra like sounds over and over.

So again, noooo:D

Hofmann

Help

I reached this planet:

There are two satellites orbiting, no gun. Do I have to wait for some astral alignment? one of the is moving too slow

Hard to tell, you probably just missed something. Those shooting light colums usually point to something, the thing then lightens up for a brief moment.

Hofmann

For those asking for impressions, here's mine that I posted on another forum after my first night with the game. I've experienced a bit more since then so I'll work on a more complete review for later.

Thanks for the impressions. Hopefully, it will make few Gaffers make up their minds and buy the game of course.

The whole thing made me want to see similar indirect multiplayer mechanics in Memory of a Broken Dimension, where instead of planets we could surf on a radio waves with players all over the world.

Borman

Bought it, thanks for the reminder. Its been bookmarked since prior to it coming out I think hah. Looking forward to giving it a go on the bus tomorrow.

Hofmann

In any case, even though I dont think the concept worked perfectly, I liked it overall, so best of luck with the game :)

I just checked and it seems that they didn't take down the concept version entirely. I could post links to it, but I don't know how devs would feel about it.

Toma

I just checked and it seems that they didn't take down the concept version entirely. I could post links to it, but I don't know how devs would feel about it.

The link we had flying around in the earlier threads was from their own website at least, where they removed all the links to it. Guess if its still flying around somewhere, someone else hosts it.

Hofmann

The link we had flying around in the earlier threads was from their own website at least, where they removed all the links to it. Guess if its still flying around somewhere, someone else hosts it.

They also had some mirror ones, and I guess they didn't take those. Well, it's their call, I'm just sayin':D

Top Bottom