• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleepy Hollow |OT| From GAF's Favorite Writers – Mondays 9/8c

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

jboOB7e3YLERT7.png

jbg0llHcROoYQv.png

jQx3fynhhRDh4.png

jHyIxTWKCmiSm.png

jXeKYQwRMuZ0B.png

iuUPBdUYkruaU.png

jblDAcEyYk0VT2.png

Official trailer (3:31) | Fall Preview (2:06) | Legend Promo (1:03) | Ichabod Promo (0:31)​

TheOddOne

- Fox's 'Sleepy Hollow' Will Have a 'Darker Look' But 'Fun Tone,' Says Co-Creator
As producers revealed, historical flashbacks will play a substantial role on Sleepy Hollow — especially in regards to telling the tale of the Headless Horseman (one of four, Wiseman reminded reporters), but promised that there are "higher powers in the works." Producers revealed that they will be casting the role for the flashbacks.
- How will the Sleepy Hollow show be different than Tim Burton's movie?
How is this different from Fringe?

Orci co-created Fringe, a show about a no-nonsense female protagonist who teams up with a weirdo who seems to be connected to strange things that happened to her when she was a little girl. All of those things are true of Sleepy Hollow as well — so how is this show different?

"I think it's just Fringe without heads," jokes Wiseman. "I was reading [the script] and I kept saying, 'Bob, this is Fringe without heads.'"

On paper, this show might sound a bit like Fringe, but when you see it, you'll see that it's "quite its own unique thing," says Orci. In particular, instead of weird science, this show will be delving into the world's religions and mythologies, with a lot of supernatural weirdness.
It's not Fringe, BUT IT IS!
- Huff: Sleepy Hollow is one of the best new dramas.

PaulloDEC

Just saw a trailer for this on Ten here in Australia. Looked kinda like the next in line after Once Upon a Time, Supernatural and that one about the Brothers Grimm. I guess that means it could be good?

TheOddOne

Just saw a trailer for this on Ten here in Australia. Looked kinda like the next in line after Once Upon a Time, Supernatural and that one about the Brothers Grimm. I guess that means it could be good?
It's been getting some decent word of mouth from early previews.

I like the look of the show so I'm at least gonna stick it out for a season.

I worked on the pilot and second episode of this. I went to the premiere of the pilot last month in Wilmington, NC, and I really liked it. Unlike other shows I've worked on like Revolution or Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow is something I would watch on my own and not just because of my involvement.

I hope they can keep it up. It legitimately gets creepy near the end. Everyone else I heard talk about it at the premiere thought it was awesome.

That's me on the far right, working on my first green screen. Len Wiseman, the director, was there for the day, and John Cho was in the other room filming some modern-day stuff.

Here's a behind-the-scenes look at the pilot

Here's some video of the premiere in Wilmington. Orlando Jones and Katia Winter were there for it.

I worked on the pilot and second episode of this. I went to the premiere of the pilot last month in Wilmington, NC, and I really liked it. Unlike other shows I've worked on like Revolution or Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow is something I would watch on my own and not just because of my involvement.

I hope they can keep it up. It legitimately gets creepy near the end. Everyone else I heard talk about it at the premiere thought it was awesome.

That's me on the far right, working on my first green screen. Len Wiseman, the director, was there for the day, and John Cho was in the other room filming some modern-day stuff.

Here's some video of the premiere in Wilmington. Orlando Jones and Katia Winter were there for it.

That's awesome! Thanks. I am definitely checking this out. I love the supernatural aspect and I'm a huge Fringe fan.

ivysaur12

Banned
Just so we're clear... Kurtzman and Orci co-wrote the pilot with a guy named Phil Iscove (who has the original idea) and have really no involvement in the day-to-day operations of the show. The showrunner is Mark Goffman. I'm not even sure if Kurtzman and Orci are getting co-creator credits. It actually might be Phil and Len, but I'm not sure.

-------------

I liked the pilot, probably more than I expected to. You have to drink the Kool-Aid of the series because the premise is fairly silly and it takes itself as seriously as a headless horseman with machine guns can take itself.

Tom Mison and Nicole Beharie are really, truly great.

Yeah, I've learnt my lesson after being disappointed by so many shows this year. I'll wait until the season is over, check the feedback to the season before checking it out.

I will say the trailer looks decent-ish, but I'll pass for now.

Yeah, I've learnt my lesson after being disappointed by so many shows this year. I'll wait until the season is over, check the feedback to the season before checking it out.

I will say the trailer looks decent-ish, but I'll pass for now.

that what I usually do but I do need something to watch on monday so might as well be this.

Nicktendo86

Got back from the Dominican republic last week (live in the UK) and got to watch some american tv, my god the most irritating experience ever. We watched fx most of the time as they were not many channels and there were ENDLESS promos for this and that bridge show, feel sick of them already. And there are soooooo many adds on american TV. Oh and last thing, who thinks two and a half men is actually funny?

joedrum

Watched the pilot with a buddy who works on the show. It does not disappoint. Headless Horseman rocks a machine gun...yeah.

TheOddOne

Awesome, thanks for posting.

DieH@rd

Banned
From the moment I saw first trailer I was pleasantly surprised. Looks to be... not shitty, and possibly watchable.

Will watch.

bengraven

Holy fucking shit, this looks awesome. I wasn't expecting this kind of quality. This looks like HBO.

That said, I was working on an Crane reboot, so now I'm kind of ticked. ha

will watch this since it looks fun. and hopefully orci/kurtzman have minimal involvement.

still, johnny depp was the GOAT ichabod crane in tim burton's last great movie.

Alpende

I'll watch 2 or 3 episodes. If it doesn't convince me I'll stop watching. I don't want another Under the Dome scenario.

Clevinger

show looks fun; I'll prolly give it a couple eps

Just so we're clear... Kurtzman and Orci co-wrote the pilot with a guy named Phil Iscove (who has the original idea) and have really no involvement in the day-to-day operations of the show. The showrunner is Mark Goffman. I'm not even sure if Kurtzman and Orci are getting co-creator credits. It actually might be Phil and Len, but I'm not sure.

niiice

edit:

I liked the pilot, probably more than I expected to. You have to drink the Kool-Aid of the series because the premise is fairly silly and it takes itself as seriously as a headless horseman with machine guns can take itself.

Wait, wait, wait. I'll definitely watch at least few episodes now.

TheOddOne

Missed this earlier, but this is good news.

TheOddOne

- EW review (B)
Yawn? Surprisingly, no: Brit thesp Tom Mison is a blast as Ichabod Crane, reimagined as a Revolutionary War-era warrior battling the apocalypse. He's well matched by Nicole Beharie, the crackerjack cop who knows her creepy burg is a Hellmouth. SUPERNATURAL meets ELEMENTARY, SLEEPY HOLLOW is fizzy if formulaic fright-night fun.

TheOddOne

- Sepinwall review: FOX's 'Sleepy Hollow' isn't afraid to be crazy.
I honestly can't tell you if FOX's "Sleepy Hollow," the first new show of the 2013-14 network TV season, is good or bad — and I've already watched the pilot episode (which airs Monday at 9 p.m.) twice. I suspect it's bad, and that it will be proven to be bad over the course of its first season. But if it's bad, it's in a memorable, weird, fun way. It's a show that goes for broke, does not apologize for its excesses and is never, ever boring. In a freshman class full of forgettable new dramas, it stands out by virtue of embracing every possible way in which it could go awry, because ultimately being boring is worse than being bad.
"Sleepy Hollow" reminds me in a way of "Zero Hour," the short-lived ABC drama from last winter about evil Nazi clocks (or, at least, evil, Nazis and clocks). In isolated moments, "Zero Hour" was just as absurd and confident in its lunacy as "Sleepy Hollow," but they were too few and far between. That was a show that hedged its bets on just how bad it was willing to be, and as a result was just a drag. There aren't many slow moments in "Sleepy Hollow," a show that would rather risk looking silly than risk making its audience want to nap. I don't know if the pace and number of ideas is sustainable, or
if the Headless Horseman shredding a police car with small arms fire is as nutty as the show can ever go
, but I'm at least curious to see what comes next. And I can't say that about the great majority of shows debuting on the networks over the next few weeks.
- Horror movies review.
Sleepy Hollow” shows an immense amount of promise and I look forward to seeing how the mysteries play out. Provided, of course, that they are able to build off of the foundation that the pilot has laid out. I find that as I reflect on this episode and watch it again, it grows on me just a little more. It’s definitely not a strong start, but it shows that there’s a good idea in here somewhere. It’ll be fun to see if they’re able to dig it out and run with it.
- Variety review.
Stripped of the mythology, the show is an enterprising way to try to revive something like “The X-Files,” and Fox deserves some credit for returning to this sort of high-concept gambit despite the high risk and (with the exception of NBC’s modestly rated “Grimm”) relatively low success rate lately by broadcast standards.

Still, once you’ve gotten past the image of the Headless Horseman racing down a modern paved street, it’s uncertain how many will want to book an extended stay in “Sleepy Hollow,” which warrants a second look primarily to see whether the pilot was just another one-trick pony.

TheOddOne

- IGN review.
The tight focus of the pilot does mean that the show’s world is a bit narrow for now but I imagine that it will start expanding in the upcoming episodes, and there are hints that this is all just a prelude for much bigger things to come. Can Sleepy Hollow live up to Buffy, the granddaddy (or grandmomma) of this genre? Time will tell, but for now I’m just happy to see it off to a good start with a lively, fun first hour.
- Newsday review.
Get past the hopelessly naive idea that this might be even a remotely faithful adaptation of Washington Irving's much-beloved tale, or that this is even remotely for adults -- and you can then approach "Sleepy Hollow" on its own terms. Those aren't -- surprise -- bad at all.

I watched most of the pilot while on a flight last night. As long as you're willing to just go with it, it was amusing enough.
Tom Mison and Nicole Beharie are really, truly great.
Yeah, I thought they did a nice job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom