• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision GAF

Liljagare

It's that time of the year again. Swedens first round is over, Smash into Pieces was the first finalist.

Not alot of good songs so far at all, this was, decent?

What I've heard so far is much worse than the past two years; it's like they all have a good verse, or a good chorus, or bridge etc., but I haven't heard a single one that brings it together to be good as a whole.

Malachai

Olly Alexander is doing ours for the U.K. this year. If the stuff he does with Years and Years is anything to go by we should have a good chance at doing well this year.

Trilobit

My childhood memories of Eurovision consist of an abundance of fruitsallad with whipped cream and bowls of chips. Good times! Don't have the patience to sit through it nowadays though.

fruktsallad.jpg

Last edited:

Liljagare

I think we just saw who's going to take it.

Danny Saucedo, he just sent it.

Only good songs tonight in the Swedish semis, which kinds of sucks, last week was horrible, all songs in tonights session could have won last week.

Hate of that works.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
EBU is asking Israel to change the lyrics of the song because they are too political, Israel is saying no and will abort the competition for the first time ever.

In the 80's Euro in Germany, Ofra Haza sang to the German people in their homeland "Chai, Chai, Chai, Ken ani od Chai". Which basically means "alive, alive, yes I'm still alive."

Liljagare

And Sweden will be sending Norwegians. :p

Had my hopes on Danny, Smash into pieces or Medina, but nope. Two Norwegian brothers it is, lol.

Last edited:
I think thus far the ones I think are actually good are Norway, Australia, Netherlands, Ireland. Greece has something interesting too.

I actually quite like the studio version of czechia's song, but her live performance was terrible, she's bouncing around too much and doesn't have the breath contol to match.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
What a piece of shit show so far. Absolutely garbage.

Man, it's Eurovision, what did you expect ?

This contest show never really was about "music".
Nowadays it's all about them...ahem..."social politics".

It has always epitomized tackiness to the utmost degree, representing the absolute nadir with novelty "songs" whose sole purpose is fleeting attention—lasting a few weeks at most, then fading into obscurity. It's an utterly soulless form of "music," crafted solely for mass consumption, typically relegated to background noise during car rides to the supermarket.
It's so bad that even absolute horseshit and uber-commercial puppet "artists" like the Taylor Swifts/Drakes/Billie Ellishes/whatever the fuck of the world are like fucking Chopin/Wagner compared to the "products" that Eurovision (literally) produces.

It's "music" for people that don't listen to music and the whole thing has always been a circus show.

Eurovision and the always shit-tastic Italian Sanremo Music Festival, along with similar events, could cease to exist for all I care; the world would likely be better off. It represents the epitome of mediocrity, akin to Oscar-bait films that win not because they are the finest, but because A) they carry a "message" or B) it's a particular country's turn to win, presumably for the financial benefits of hosting the following year's event.

RaduN

Man, it's Eurovision, what did you expect ?

This contest show never really was about "music".
Nowadays it's all about them...ahem..."social politics".

It has always epitomized tackiness to the utmost degree, representing the absolute nadir with novelty "songs" whose sole purpose is fleeting attention—lasting a few weeks at most, then fading into obscurity. It's an utterly soulless form of "music," crafted solely for mass consumption, typically relegated to background noise during car rides to the supermarket.
It's so bad that even absolute horseshit and uber-commercial puppet "artists" like the Taylor Swifts/Drakes/Billie Ellishes/whatever the fuck of the world are like fucking Chopin/Wagner compared to the "products" that Eurovision (literally) produces.

It's "music" for people that don't listen to music and the whole thing has always been a circus show.

Eurovision and the always shit-tastic Italian Sanremo Music Festival, along with similar events, could cease to exist for all I care; the world would likely be better off. It represents the epitome of mediocrity, akin to Oscar-bait films that win not because they are the finest, but because A) they carry a "message" or B) it's a particular country's turn to win, presumably for the financial benefits of hosting the following year's event.

I'm not expecting some exceptional songs from Eurovision man, but as a rule of sorts, every year there are a couple of anomalies where some nobodies have these absolutely amazing songs that make sitting through all the other shit worth it. Artists like Tom Dice, A friend in London, Kristian Kostov, Rosa Linn (what a huge success this girl has with her Eurovision song worldwide, just wow), Cornelia Jacobs, just to name a few from recent-ish years.

To be fair, there's still the other half of the show left, so i'm hopeful those anomalies will exist this year as well.

Updated the original post with this year's stuff, would have done it sooner but I've been busy!

If I can find the time I may get around to make a graphic or two

Top Bottom