• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2017 |OT| Slovenia: "On My Way - to the lowest score"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. GAF and Europe might not agree on the winner but we can on Spain.

Will Spain offer an apology tomorrow morning across all networks?

No, we spaniards should not offer an apology, because that guy being chosen for the contest was a scam.

It appears one girl was about to be chosen for the contest, but there was foul play. It appears this guy had a contract with Sony beforehand, and people say Sony paid a lot of money for him to be the one to go to Eurovision.

When they announced he was the chosen one people from the audicence booed and he had the balls to flip them off.
tumblr_inline_ol8jjwFkkd1tt3g1i_500.gif

So yeah, not even spaniards want that moron

nOoblet16

Couple of robbed songs

Margaret Berger - I Feed You My Love (Norway)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjm-kCOMaPY

Dami Im - Sound Of Silence (Australia)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ymFX91HwM0

Blanche - City Lights (Belgium)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbomdE81_mA

Jacques Houdek - My Friend (Croatia)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sya_GIxsw0
I have had Margaret Berger's I feed you my love in my playlist since the moment I heard it for the first time. Fantastic song and it felt like a James Bond title track.

You want to talk about robbed, this portuguese song got null points without a reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlxrGFssQR8

Verka Serduchka didn't win 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfjHJneVonE

And somehow belgium lost 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRQlsvWMWBo

The 2003 loss is Belgium's own fault mostly. One of the lead singers was barred from the contest because the Belgian state service had mistaken her for an extreme right-wing terrorist and banned her from the contest. I think we came like 2 points short lol.

If that Onuka interval performance (which in retrospect was the best performance of the evening) told us anything, it's that Stockholm missed a trick by not having The Knife/Fever Ray do an interval act then. They could've made that Eurovision AS FUCK.

scamander

Banned
I will never buy Kerrygold ever again!
but it's so goooooooooood

Kaergarden or bust.

"You could not expext this to happen" says the German trash moderator, talking about the German trash entry, which was trash.

This needs a reboot. Fire everyone. Hire me.

You don't talk like that about Barbara Schöneberger in my presence, you just don't!

scamander

Banned
Verka is the only song i remember from 2007, i think that performance is the only one that people in general remembers from that year.. :p

I still remember the UK's entry. :p

"Would you like something to suck on for landing, sir?" :D

She's awful. She made tasteless "jokes" about Greece during one of the national ESC finals.

Really? I admit I haven't seen the national selections the last few years. What did she say?

In retrospect, I'm amazed the UK did so well this soon after Brexit.

I expected it to place in the top 10, but I was even further off the mark with Armenia (which stings... not even first half, what injustice - I blame the running order). I guess that's what's fun about Eurovision though, you can never really predict it, especially once you go past the top 3 or so.
Stuff like Greece and Cyprus pushing 12 points to each other every year nonwithstanding. Heck the Cypriot spokesperson even poked fun at that fact.

Apzu

The 2003 loss is Belgium's own fault mostly. One of the lead singers was barred from the contest because the Belgian state service had mistaken her for an extreme right-wing terrorist and banned her from the contest. I think we came like 2 points short lol.
I dindt know about the singer being barred, and yes just 2 points, Turkey got 167 and Belgium 165.

Well you know, 2007 is actually kinda comparable to this year I feel. With Molitva winning and everyone being salty over it lmao. I love Molitva though.

And yea Urban Trad was truly robbed.):
True, but at least Ukraine managed to be a competitive second place, Moldova was third but 240 points below Bulgaria and Portugal got literally twice as many points as Moldova.

Verka is the only song i remember from 2007, i think that performance is the only one that people in general remembers from that year.. :p
It's the only song we all remember

Jasup

Take Me To You Heaven by Charlotte Nilsson was the best.

And I think it was the only year I was watching it live.

At first I confused Charlotte Nilsson with Charlotte Perelli and thought about the 2008's alien invasion.

Take me to your heaven was nice though

Apzu

I expected it to place in the top 10, but I was even further off the mark with Armenia (which stings... not even first half, what injustice - I blame the running order). I guess that's what's fun about Eurovision though, you can never really predict it, especially once you go past the top 3 or so.
Stuff like Greece and Cyprus pushing 12 points to each other every year nonwithstanding. Heck the Cypriot spokesperson even poked fun at that fact.
I'm more amazed at how wrong we all were regarding Italy, many countries' juries gave them nothing at all. Also how Moldova's meme power was bigger than anyone else expected.

Frankly, I am glad Verka didn't win, and Molitva won instead. Molitva was a much better song, and Verka was a good second place. She did kick the golden age of Eurovision into full gear, but still.

While I personally preferred Urban Trad, myself, Sertab Erener also was a very deserving winner, and I see no issues with Turkey taking it in 2003.

Both of your examples fall kind of flat honestly. :p

If you want to talk about robbed entries: Malta in 2005, Greece in 2008, France in 2009 and Italy in 2011, and let's not even start talking about countries that should've qualified into the finals.

Frankly, I am glad Verka didn't win, and Molitva won instead. Molitva was a much better song, and Verka was a good second place. She did kick the golden age of Eurovision into full gear, but still.

While I personally preferred Urban Trad, myself, Sertab Erener also was a very deserving winner, and I see no issues with Turkey taking it in 2003.

If you want to talk about robbed entries: Malta in 2005, Greece in 2008, France in 2009 and Italy in 2011, and let's not even start talking about countries that should've qualified into the finals.

Italy not winning in 2011 was highway robbery yeah. Great song.

oti

Banned
I still remember the UK's entry. :p

"Would you like something to suck on for landing, sir?" :D

Really? I admit I haven't seen the national selections the last few years. What did she say?

I don't remember which year it was but during the European crisis she jokes about how Greece should be kicked out of the EU or something because they were broke.

I'm sorry, but this "humour" has no place in a program like the ESC, especially not back then when the tension was high. Some Greeks were furious.

Nev

Banned
In short:

Armenia
- Generic and utterly forgettable. At least the dancers were good.
Australia - Time to check whatsapp
Austria - Discount popified(er) Jason Mraz
Azerbaijan - Wannabe 2014 Miley Cyrus / pseudo-trapper with a shitty song
Belarus - Lumineers Kids Edition
Belgium - B-team Adele with a rejected filler song remixed by some Zedd wannabe
Bulgaria - Is that La Roux? Nvm it's some boy with a generic dubstep-lite spiced ballad
Croatia - Credits song for Disney's Hercules 4: Pain and Panic's Periplus. Lol gimmick
Cyprus - We're only going to get the guaranteed 12 from Greece so who cares
Denmark - Rejected MGS song
France - Literally can't remember anything other than a pretty girl
Germany - You won't BELIEVE how these composers tricked DAVID GUETTA'S lawyers
Greece - Am I distracting you from my horrible voice with my beautiful face?
Hungary - I guess someone had to fill Turkey's role somehow
Israel - Legit went to pee after the first 10 seconds so can't comment. Probably bad tho
Italy - Mediocre song with a boring gimmick and cheap "woke" social message
Moldova - "Guys look! It's the leg song hah" was probably their miserably failed goal
Netherlands - Buy the DTV Prince of Egypt 2 movie and get the track for free!
Norway - All the trendy instruments and sounds couldn't save our trash song so... faces!
Poland - Winner of the 2016's James Bond Con of Gdansk fan song contest
Romania - Heidi (2017), the shitty live action reboot nobody asked for. Hot guy tho
Sweden - Uncharismatic Justin Timberlake with your usual swedish "I WANNA WIN" trash
Ukraine - Somewhat decent Billy Talent Zero, still too many calories for Eurovision

And now for the two deserving of more lines.

Portugal - Insufferable pretentious douchebag singing a terrible song that is so boring it could put a fucking 860400kg whale to sleep. Slow pace and little production isn't equal to good song and your song is, in fact, trash

Spain - Hahahahaha. That's a good summary on its own but anyways: laughable wannabe surfer daddy's boy kiddo with below-zero stage presence or experience, awful presentation, annoying "dancers", pathetic Disney Channel third-division-Bieber-döppelganger-show's theme song. In short: absolutely embarrassing garbage.

4/10 one of the worst editions in ages, which is saying a lot because the show is generally trash. An absolute pain to get through.

Apzu

Both of your examples fall kind of flat honestly. :p

True, Azerbaijan didn't deserve to win 2011.I don't remember 2005 or 2008, but Fairytale was one of the best in 2009, Norway won that fair and square.

Syder

4/10 one of the worst editions in ages, which is saying a lot because the show is generally trash. An absolute pain to get through.
I agree for the most part.

Eurovision just isn't very... good. Can't really be mad that Portgual won because there weren't any other clear good songs/performances.

...but why watch it if you hate everything so much?

True, Azerbaijan didn't deserve to win 2011.I don't remember 2005 or 2008, but Fairytale was one of the best in 2009, Norway won that fair and square.

2005 was Greece's Number One, 2008 was Russia's Dima Bilan.
And yes, Norway 2009 was cool, but it didn't have the class of Patricia Kaas. Placing only 8th was an utter disgrace.

CGwizz

In short:

Armenia
Bulgaria - Is that La Roux? Nvm it's some boy with a generic dubstep-lite spiced ballad
Croatia - Credits song for Disney's Hercules 4: Pain and Panic's Periplus. Lol gimmick
Greecy - Am I distracting you from my horrible voice with my beautiful face?
Israel - Legit went to pee after the first 10 seconds so can't comment. Probably bad tho
Moldova - "Guys look! It's the leg song hah" was probably their miserably failed goal
Norway - All the trendy instruments and sounds couldn't save our trash song so... faces!
Romania - Heidi (2017), the shitty live action reboot nobody asked for. Hot guy tho
Sweden - Uncharismatic Justin Timberlake with your usual swedish "I WANNA WIN" trash
Ukraine - Somewhat decent Billy Talent Zero, still too many calories for Eurovision

Portugal - Insufferable pretentious douchebag singing a terrible song that is so boring it could put a fucking 860400kg whale to sleep. Slow pace and little production isn't equal to good song and your song is, in fact, trash

Spain - Hahahahaha. That's a good summary on its own but anyways: laughable wannabe surfer daddy's boy kiddo with below-zero stage presence or experience, awful presentation, annoying "dancers", pathetic Disney Channel third-division-Bieber-döppelganger-show's theme song. In short: absolutely embarrassing garbage.

"Insufferable pretentious douchebag" lol

SomTervo

In short:

Armenia
Greecy - Am I distracting you from my horrible voice with my beautiful face?

What about the uk

Sidenote, for the OP: I will add the grand final's live performance videos tomorrow. I'm too tired to edit everything right now.

What about the uk

I can probably summarize his thoughts:
"Insufferable and dull whining over spilled Brexit milk from a girl that looks like a rocket lifting Britain into outer space where it belongs for sending such trash"

Apzu

I really wonder if it's because I can understand the lyrics, but I don't think Portugal's entry is the worst thing ever like some make it seems. There were worse songs today.

...but why watch it if you hate everything so much?

2005 was Greece's Number One, 2008 was Russia's Dima Bilan.
And yes, Norway 2009 was cool, but it didn't have the class of Patricia Kaas. Placing only 8th was an utter disgrace.
Oh, I don't remember many songs from those years either way :x

And I'll concede Patricia Kass had more class than probably any other singer in that year, but it was just not an eurovision-like song. To be fair, Salvador's song also isn't eurovsion material, the fact that he won is really odd. I'd say Bulgaria or Moldova were a lot more what I would expect from this year winner.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I agree for the most part.

Eurovision just isn't very... good. Can't really be mad that Portgual won because there weren't any other clear good songs/performances.

The semi-finals broke it really, kicks out the sillier things and everything else starts to get homogenised to make it through rather than taking a chance on the night.

Watching the semi-finals to see what you won't get in the final isn't really the best option either because it makes the final a bit shit having seen 90% of it already and stuff you'd never want to see again anyway.

It's broken, but it's still Eurovision and there isn't anything else like it. Far removed now from its glory days though.

oti

Banned
I think we should have a conversation about the juries (again). If Greece and Cyprus just swap 12 points every single time, if the Armenian jury can't vote for Azerbaijan without fearing for their lives and vice versa, what's the point.

VegiHam

The UK left Europe.

I mean I don't think it's an overreaction to say that what happened tonight was a moral travesty and proof that we needed a brexit all along. I have seen the light, the brexit was right and good and true and I would like to withdraw from the common market and the broadcasting union. We'll have a better song contest with the commonwealth. A red white and blue song contest! Strong and stable! I believe in Britain.

oti

Banned
Feel good story for the day, next to Portugal winning of course, is Hungary. Screw the juries, they got the televote love they deserve.

Don't think you can enter artists signed to record labels, I might be wrong about that though.

Also it's mostly instrumental but whatever.

Nah, it must be the "we don't wanna do this shit twice" reason. My country has had professional(and signed) performers @ Eurovision many times before(almost all of them actually). It's definitely not a rule.

jts

...hate me...
I will definitely follow Kostov. He is awesome.

He's like an alternate universe Bieber, better than our universe's one.

Come on Ukraine, really? This is Eurovision as fuck and it wasn't your performer this year? Phahaha

Honestly I think O. Torvald did well. The staging was better at the Ukrainian national selection, what with the lead singer having a clock in his chest and it all looking a lot more edgy. Song was solid too for what it was worth. It just was obvious it wasn't gonna do well at Eurovision.

The semi-finals broke it really, kicks out the sillier things and everything else starts to get homogenised to make it through rather than taking a chance on the night.

Watching the semi-finals to see what you won't get in the final isn't really the best option either because it makes the final a bit shit having seen 90% of it already and stuff you'd never want to see again anyway.

It's broken, but it's still Eurovision and there isn't anything else like it. Far removed now from its glory days though.

I dunno, I think the semis made it better because while it weeds out a lot of the utter shite performances, a lot of the cheese still goes through. Verka made it through in 2007. Pirates of the Sea made it through in 2008. Poland's titty butterchurning song made it through as well a couple years back. Romania and Croatia this year of course.

It wasn't the semis that made everything more homogenized, it's the reintroduction of the juries. And while the juries aren't above political/bloc voting either, the criticism of the televote-only system was warranted as well, I think, so I understand that they were necessary just as much as giving the televoters back more power.

Also, I can understand the approach of not wanting to spoil the finalists by watching the semis as well, but given the size of the contest these days, they are necessary as well. I mean just 26 countries, and we went until close to 2 AM local time in Ukraine. But I also don't want the contest to go back to the late 90s/early 2000s ruleset where countries not reaching a certain ranking get disqualified for the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom