• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Preseason 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Polish result is super interesting. Poland was the bookie's favorite for weeks to win Eurovision based on the strength of Margaret's "Cool Me Down". That can't be the case anymore.

oti

Banned
The Polish result is super interesting. Poland was the bookie's favorite for weeks to win Eurovision based on the strength of Margaret's "Cool Me Down". That can't be the case anymore.

Just googled this and daaaaamn what a pity. Did the jury vote it down or something?

Just googled this and daaaaamn what a pity. Did the jury vote it down or something?

I have to catch up this week on watching Krajowe Eliminacje, but as far as I know the decision was entirely a public vote.

This is the video of her performance. Apparently it was disaster, causing the loss, but she seems pretty OK apart from Margaret being out of breath near the end and lacking some of the energy of the studio version.

I know odds talk is frowned upon by many here but predictably Poland's standing with the bookies tanked immediately after the competition, lol. They're currently outside of the top 10 and falling fast... I wouldn't be shocked if they fail to qualify out of their semi.

The internet is melting down over it. There are petitions calling for the Polish government to intervene and there's even outrage on the official Eurovision site announcing Szpak as the winner. Poor guy.

Neat that Australia is using their opportunity to send their heavy hitters. Dami Im has a real shot at the crown, depending on the song. I wonder if the EBU would crack and allow the contest to be held in Oz... it's been held outside of Europe before.

I've tried but I really really really do not like the German song at all. I get the strange circumstances with the Germans this year but yikes. Then again, my fave out of the terrible selection was the Keøma song so what do I know?

I hope it does get held in Oz one day.
Then it will be all of you who will be waking up at 2 in the morning to watch Eurovision!

oti

Banned
The internet is melting down over it. There are petitions calling for the Polish government to intervene and there's even outrage on the official Eurovision site announcing Szpak as the winner. Poor guy.

lol

Then it will be all of you who will be waking up at 2 in the morning to watch Eurovision!

I don't think I would do that tbh. Eurovision for me is gathering with friends, turning on the TV and having it play in the background. But I don't think that would happen anyway. When it was held in Baku they also had to start at 20:00 CET, regardless of their time zone.

Joni

If it starts at around 20-21h in the evening, it would be Midday here. It would just be the afternoon instead of the evening.

spekkeh

Banned
Heh yeah I remember on Dutch television Poland was being hailed as the big favorite, she just needed to win the local finals but this was only a formality. I can definitely imagine the meltdowns.

spekkeh

Banned
Non private version :

https://youtu.be/vytgHD2pqyk

I actually really like our contribution this year!

Meh, at best I can say I don't think it's offensive. I like that it has a bit of country in it. Like Calm after the Storm it's a good way to be unique in the Eurovision sphere without going full ham, but I don't think Bob's voice really lends itself to the style. At least Ilse de Lange was a country singer.

oti

Banned
It's our turn to send utter trash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mPt7-xl-sY

Holy shit, this is so fucking horrible.

EUROPE

DO NOT GIVE GREECE A SINGLE POINT PLEASE

You know, we've always been in the finals before, I hope this will end this year. Screw the guy who decided to send this terrible trash. The intro is nice tho.

This is a great YouTube comment: Και ρε παιδιά τι πρωτότυπο και γαματο video clip! WoW είναι σαν Woodkid απ τα Lidl
"Wow it's like LIDL's Woodkind"

The rapping is just bad. ;-;

spekkeh

Banned
Croatia just released their song

Wow, this is not bad at all.

EDIT: Wrong link in the paste, can't correct it on mobile. Search Nina Kraljic on Youtube.

EDIT2: Got it to work.

https://youtu.be/UGQlYSC9NGk

It's very well produced and sounds nice, but it's pretty standard europop/dance fare, it needs more of a hook. I think whether it does well depends on diaspora voting the stage show, if it has something striking that people will remember it by.

Yeah Australia's is not a winning song. She'll breeze through to the finals, though.

...but none of that will matter, because PACK IT UP: WE HAVE A WINNER OF ESC 2016

Also, the EBU has cleared the Ukrainian entry to compete despite questions about its content.

Now that we know most of the entries, it's shaping up to be a pretty disappointing year. Whereas 2015 was the year of sleepy songs that go nowhere, 2016 is just a pile of lite-rock snoozers along with the same mid-tempo ballad with dramatic electronic production that like 15 countries are sending this year. Typical powerhouses like Greece are boring as hell. Even the Balkans are underdelivering :(

It makes entries like Spain and Latvia stand out just because they're providing something so different. Apparently Azerbaijan's song, which will be released this weekend, will be uptempo too.

oti

Banned
What is this song

Why

What is it

I don't even know

is he Dr. Klaw

Is that what Dr. Klaw sings like

I'm pretty sure San Marino is just like: "Yeah we COULD try to send someone by why not just put our Eurovision entry on eBay and the highest bidder can go for us?"

I wonder if Russia will cut Ukraine's performance out of their official broadcast. They cut out Oscar presentation for best documentary where a film about Ukraine Revolution was nominated. But it was pre-taped and that's not most popular category...

They can't if they wish to have any sort of near-term future participation in Eurovision.

One of the best-known EBU rules is the requirement that the competition must be broadcast in full from all participating broadcasters. It gets brought up a lot with regard to Israel's participation, as there are a few qualifying countries that have laws restricting official recognition of Israel (like Lebanon), and broadcasting an Israeli entry complete with the flag would run afoul of these local laws.

It was also brought up in 2014 with Conchita Wurst, because there were rumblings that certain countries (Azerbaijan, Russia, Belarus, Turkey despite not participating, etc.) would obscure the broadcast or block it outright during her performance. Ultimately they broadcast her performance/win and continue to participate.

oti

Banned
Yeah, so far the big countries are the best and that's never a good sign. (Except for the UK, come on.)

oti

Banned
I know Ace Wilder is a lot of people's fave but it doesn't pop enough on stage for me.

Her singing feels kinda lethargic, doesn't it?

-

I've only seen three songs so far and they are better than 80% of all the songs coming from other countries.

Why.

If you were sorry you'd stop singing this trash song.

Peru

Because they take it seriously. And because it's a place where hits are born, even when they don't win. Top 10 Sweden itunes for this period is all Melodifestivalen stuff. So top songwriters and names actually work towards it every year.

Frans is apparently the favorite to win tonight.

lol at this party bro anthem

Noaloha

We have a three year old girl strutting around the house right now who won't stop singing about bathing naked in a fountain.

oti

Banned
If this I were sorry trash wins I will cry.

So this is how the voting system will be like in the Grand Final. Interesting.

--

sigh
you are terrible Sweden, but you gave the world ABBA so you are still kinda ok, I guess

TheJoRu

It's a 17 year old pretty boy who's strolling around anxiously around a stage with a pretty pop song and a weird accent in his voice. Of course he wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom