• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2017 |OT| Slovenia: "On My Way - to the lowest score"

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe Portugal has such a small population that any diaspora could favor any country at all.

Yes.
People living near the border can push a lot of weight in the televote, which is why you have countries that don't get along each other politically still end up voting for each other (e.g. Serbia and Croatia), or if they share a music industry (e.g. Greece and Cyprus).
Obviously the Spanish diaspora in Portugal isn't as massive as, say, the Russian diaspora in many Eastern European countries, or the Armenian diaspora in France, etc., and I don't think it's the main factor for those 5 points from the televote.

I think that there's just several factors that fell into this, and that Spaniards voting from Portugal certainly is something to consider since the 2 countries border each other, and Portugal is also a small enough country that these votes could be toppled.

Apzu

Yes.
People living near the border can push a lot of weight in the televote, which is why you have countries that don't get along each other politically still end up voting for each other (e.g. Serbia and Croatia), or if they share a music industry (e.g. Greece and Cyprus).
Obviously the Spanish diaspora in Portugal isn't as massive as, say, the Russian diaspora in many Eastern European countries, or the Armenian diaspora in France, etc., and I don't think it's the main factor for those 5 points from the televote.

I think that there's just several factors that fell into this, and that Spaniards voting from Portugal certainly is something to consider since the 2 countries border each other, and Portugal is also a small enough country that these votes could be toppled.
My only problem with the idea of spaniards voting for Spain in Portugal is that I don't think even they liked the song.

Aha so Spain did get pitty votes from its neighbour, just not from the jury. Just like Switzerland giving Germany 3 points.

Edit:

This link is amazing, there's so much information you can get from it. For instance Portugal's jury didn't give any single point to Bulgaria and the same happened with Bulgaria, which means that the 1st place and 2nd place didn't like each other's entry. And the same thing happens with Italy regarding both Portugal and Bulgaria, which begs the question, did the jury really thought these entries were bad or were they just trying to give less points to countries that could win against their own countries according to bookies?

Bulgaria's jury rankings are amazing in their shamelessness, not a single favorite got points

They are obvious and they do not care, lol

it did give us that bizarre, fun moment when Austria was called for winning a jury, though

My only problem with the idea of spaniards voting for Spain in Portugal is that I don't think even they liked the song.

I think you're ignoring the power of nationalistic pride in an event like this.

Bulgaria's jury rankings are amazing in their shamelessness, not a single favorite got points

They are obvious and they do not care, lol

it did give us that bizarre, fun moment when Austria was called for winning a jury, though

Damn. That is shady as shit.

oti

Banned
Isn't it ironic how Eurovision just now finds this bigger audience with the US and China watching it live and two of the most European songs win in a row? First Ukraine with a song about murder and war and now Portugal with.... Portugal: The Song.

Apzu

Isn't it ironic how Eurovision just now finds this bigger audience with the US and China watching it live and two of the most European songs win in a row? First Ukraine with a song about murder and war and now Portugal with.... Portugal: The Song.
Well that's good, it means countries don't need to do international POP hits they can just go with songs representing their culture and people all over the world will still watch. Or they can just go with the weirdest thing they can think of or appeal to memes, there's a lot that can be done and people will still enjoy it.

RocknRola

But if we consider something like a spaniard diaspora, wouldn't that also happen in France? I have no idea which country has more spanish immigrants. Or maybe Portugal has such a small population that any diaspora could favor any country at all.

Edit:
I found this eurovision related polandball and I found the first half very relatable.
https://i.imgur.com/rDgMsP1.png

too big, it's better just writing down the link. But here's probably the best panel.
33A7Qts.png

We're some ~11million and I'be surprised if there were 100k Spanish citizens living here full time tbh (and that's counting a loooot of unregistered people, as the last official numbers pointed towards 29k). So I don't think the reason is a diaspora of any sort, more like cultural proximity paying off (regardless of the quality of the songs).

Also lol @ that comic :p

EYEL1NER

I'm watching the finals now, missed them on Saturday. I'm up to 08 Hungary now. I was really digging Armenia but Moldova played a second ago and that song was fun as hell. I loved how catchy it was, the performers looks and moves, and dat sax. So far it's probably my favorite.

EDIT: Just finished the Portugal performance. Yeah, I totally get why that won. That was a phenomenal performance.

the best part of the immediate post-season (imo): the stand-ins for the technical rehearsals start putting their videos online

local musicians/singers learn the song (complete with the original language and staging) so the tech team can practice

Art Demur:

Amar Pelos Dois
Hey Mamma! (the cardboard sax lol)

Drobotiuk Andrii:

Origo
Occidentali's Karma

Nanna Kovalova (she's good!):

I Will Never Give Up On You
City Lights (Facebook link)

Leysa Falina:

Skeletons

Sasha Polovynska:

Blackbird
Paper

Kinda neat to see covers on the actual stage. Sometimes the stuff pays dividends for the artists like when positive reactions to Ellen Benediktson's stand-in performances led to two Melodifestivalen appearances.

Nice to see the Czech Republic has apparently committed to coming back regularly <3

Viewer numbers there have always been abysmal but you can't build a legacy if you don't show up.

Hopefully the Israel situation gets resolved...

also YAY to France holding a televised national selection, that is a good thing for everyone

I've gotta say, I liked the Australia inclusion at first as a one off...but come on. They're not in Europe.

Why not Chuck in a rotating guest spot?Japan, Korea Brazil, I'd be up for that.

I've gotta say, I liked the Australia inclusion at first as a one off...but come on. They're not in Europe.

Australia has by far the biggest Eurovision fanbase outside of Europe, besides there have been non-European countries participating for decades (Israel, Morocco, the Caucasus trio, arguably Cyprus).

And of course there's &#8364;&#8364;&#8364; in it.

TrutaS

As a portuguese I can confirm that the song is pure Portugal. And for it to win makes people very proud naturally, because there is no attempt at making it approachable for other countries. It was the novelty the show needed, because it comes back to another era - glad it happened but I don't think the feat can be repeated.

Rage edit: the cover that was posted is so completely different in meaning that it can't be considered a cover. One thing is to adapt the translation, another is to change it altogether. The original song doesn't even mention the word "dream" (or similar concept).

A bit off topic perhaps but does anyone know where I can watch/stream old eurovision shows legally? I'd like to rewatch the last 20 or so shows with some friends to relive the magic (and have a good excuse to get drunk).

A bit off topic perhaps but does anyone know where I can watch/stream old eurovision shows legally? I'd like to rewatch the last 20 or so shows with some friends to relive the magic (and have a good excuse to get drunk).

Most if not all of the pre-2000 shows you can find on YouTube. I also randomly looked for a few post-2000 ones and found recordings of them all. They all come with national broadcaster commentaries though.

Eurovision.tv used to have recordings of their shows, but after reworking their site, those seem to have gone missing. :/

Apzu

Why not Chuck in a rotating guest spot?Japan, Korea Brazil, I'd be up for that.
Australia probably has a bigger Eurovision fanbase than any other country you mentioned, they have been airing the contests for many years now even though the time zone doesn't favor it. Also it's a lot more expensive to send a singer from another continet to sing in Eurovision than for any european country, which makes rotating kind of hard. You would need many enthusiastic countries willing to pay a lot to send a singer for a 3 minutes song that will probably lose and without a big crowd watching the show I don't think it makes any sense for any national broadcaster in other places to pay such a bill. Sincerely, I don't think Brazil could afford to send a singer to Eurovision, because our public broadcaster budget is really small. Also, we don't have any TV channel associated with EBU.

I'm not sure if it would be considered legal because probably they don't have the rights to do it, but you can find them all on various Youtube channels.

Most if not all of the pre-2000 shows you can find on YouTube. I also randomly looked for a few post-2000 ones and found recordings of them all. They all come with national broadcaster commentaries though.

Eurovision.tv used to have recordings of their shows, but after reworking their site, those seem to have gone missing. :/
Ofc, I didn't consider looking for full shows on YouTube, assumed there would only be videos of single songs there. Thanks!

Shiloa

the best part of the immediate post-season (imo): the stand-ins for the technical rehearsals start putting their videos online

local musicians/singers learn the song (complete with the original language and staging) so the tech team can practice

Art Demur:

Amar Pelos Dois
Hey Mamma! (the cardboard sax lol)

Drobotiuk Andrii:

Origo
Occidentali's Karma

Nanna Kovalova (she's good!):

I Will Never Give Up On You
City Lights (Facebook link)

Leysa Falina:

Skeletons

Sasha Polovynska:

Blackbird
Paper

Kinda neat to see covers on the actual stage. Sometimes the stuff pays dividends for the artists like when positive reactions to Ellen Benediktson's stand-in performances led to two Melodifestivalen appearances.
Any mirrors for these? All removed except for the Facebook link

Apzu

Radio Cultura is an associate member of EBU.
Yeah I saw them mentioned on Wikipedia, though I have no idea if it's true. Anyway, it's weird that Radio cultura is associated but not TV Cultura, the radio one is responsible only for a public radio station.

Edit:
Also, TV Cultura and Radio Cultura are public broadcasters, but they are not exactly national broadcasters, they are related to Sao Paulo state and not the federal government. It would be as if California had their own public broadcaster associated with the EBU, which I don't know if it's allowed.

Good news!
The Czech Republic's broadcaster Ceska Televize said that they're considering regular participation in the contest despite low viewing numbers in the Czech Republic. :)

Apzu

Obligatory Americans react to Eurovision video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLCWQEQ8SpM
This year wasn't even that weird to have a react video, they'll have the wrong impression :/ the weirdest thing in the video was yodelling (and the guy kissing the singer), they didn't even consider montenegro.

But you know, hearing the top5 songs again, it really wasn't that bad. I'd still switch sweden's and italy's place, italy deserved to be top5 not sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom