• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2015 |OT| Austro-Australovision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper

I just wanted to post this....

0.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPF8NpBlPtc

It's a very catchy pop song titled "We Don't Wanna Put In" (i.e. Vladimir Putin), and is Georgia's Eurovision entry in 2009 (the same year Eurovision was hosted in Russia).

It's fucking hilarious and the lyrics are bonkers..e.g.... Putin killing the disco groove, shooting Putin in the head, etc.

The European Broadcasting Union demanded that Georgia change the lyrics after Russia filed a complaint, and instead of Georgia changing the lyrics, they just decided to not rock up at all to Eurovision.

oti

Banned
What if all the songs were kept in secret right up to the finale? No hype, no fan voting. Would that change anything?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
What if all the songs were kept in secret right up to the finale? No hype, no fan voting. Would that change anything?
I don't think you know how these songs even end up there. They are usually a result of some voting progress, like a national TV show. Who would decide which song to send?

Vitten

Ever since I found out that online betting sites have accurately predicted every winner it's not as exciting as it used to be.

Yeah Armenia was the pre-contest favorite going into last year. It was only during the week and after her performance that the buzz helped her popularity peak. She was ~4th or 5th with the bookies before her first performance. The favorite has certainly won more often than not, though.

Also, the songs can't be secret. The promotional tours are a huge part of Eurovision and it brings in way too much money for the organizers to keep the songs from being heard until after everyone already knows the winner.

Conchita was a surprise to most, iirc

Well, Conchita was a fan-favourite just because of her character and message. Her song wasn't the most popular, but she delivered a great performance which probably helped. Same with The Netherlands, which before the performance in the semi no one thought it had a chance. Armenia on the other hand really had an eh performance for a great song otherwise.

Also wow at the UK so high in the bookings for last year. They really had high hopes for that one year UK sent a somewhat decent song again. Too bad they didn't continue that streak this year.

No, we didn't. He became second. THey just were smart enough to send him instead of the winner. Bellarosa did win.

Ah ok, I wasn't sure about it.

Joni

Considering the winners over the last couple of years since the introduction of the split system, I think the system is working just fine.

addik

Considering the winners over the last couple of years since the introduction of the split system, I think the system is working just fine.

It has always gone both ways, I think. There are time that the jury votes heavily on a good song that doesn't get the love it deserves from the public. Latvia got a huge boost in points because of the juries (2nd in juries, only 8th for televoting) , and very much deservedly so. Norway also did extremely well with the juries (7th for juries, only 17th for the televoters) Sweden also deservedly edged out Italy and Russia due to the jury votes. Yes, they also seemingly hate some really good songs (Estonia was only 11th for the juries? Serbia was 24th?), but people are bound to get riled up at the results. Someone is bound to eventually loathe the winners.

Of course, there are cases of corruption in the juries (or so I heard), mostly coming from the Azerbaijani and Armenian sides. It's only a matter of weeding them out, though I think the EBU won't do much.

Interestingly, in Italy's selection contest Il Volo also won the televote but lost the jury vote. The televote win was so huge in Sanremo's case that they won, but it wasn't enough for ESC.

What a mess. It's easy to overlook that Måns's win was actually pretty convincing.

spekkeh

Banned
I ended up missing this. I landed in Ibiza that afternoon and was too busy getting my drink on next to the barbecue. Can't say I felt too salty because I'm on Ibiza bitches because the semi-finals featured hundred percent snoozefests of songs and I'm inherently opposed to the big countries being allowed to skip the semis. Saw that the big favorite won anyway... So.. did I miss anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom